Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
@Calculus ....the video appears to be at least a year old. Do you know when it was made? Can we really infer the radar selection from this video assuming it was made well before the frigate selection date? The LM rep mentioned MDA as a partner in the video, any news from them regarding the radar?

Calculus

@Calculus ....the video appears to be at least a year old. Do you know when it was made? Can we really infer the radar selection from this video assuming it was made well before the frigate selection date? The LM rep mentioned MDA as a partner in the video, any news from them regarding the radar?
It was from early 2018. I included merely as it is a second source confirming the volume search radar submitted by LM as part of their CSC bid was indeed an LM radar.

With regards to MDA, my understanding is they will provide the "other" radars, such as navigation and surface search.

Last edited:

Calculus

Picture of the bow mega block of the future HMCS Margaret Brook (AOPV 2) coming out of the Irving Halifax Ship Yard Assembly Hall. (Source: @IrvingShipbuild)

upload_2019-5-4_19-45-23.png

The bow (mega-block 3) will be joined (welded) to the other two mega blocks (already pier side) later this week. (Source: Irving)

The entirety of AOPV2 will need to be in the water early this Fall in order to make way for the stern (mega-block 1) and midships (mega-block 2) blocks of the future HMCS Max Bernays (AOPV 3). Also, steel cutting on AOPV 4 started on May 3. This program appears to have some momentum now.

Image below from:How We Build the Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ships

Last edited:

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Unfortunately “honourable” is not a word that can be used in this whole sordid case.
The Admirals reputation and career of “honourable” service has been trashed by grubby politicians and he can never get that back however I hope he sues the backside off those who besmirched him.
I can think of some very suitable naval punishments from the days of sail for those grubby pollies. Been a whiles since I've done knots and splices. :D

Novascotiaboy

As a Canadian I am embarrassed by my governments actions. The unscrupulous actions of senior beaureacrats and elected officials is deserving of criminal charges and penalties. Brison, Trudeau, Vance and others all need to pay the price that they tried to push onto VA Mark Norman.

If civilian Mark Norman were to run for election in the fall as a Conservative he would be the perfect choice for Defence Minister.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
A shame Norman won't get his day in court. The Liberals would be crawling under rocks as the October election nears. I wonder what General Leslie would testify about?

Novascotiaboy

The likes of Norman and Leslie and Hillier are missing from our officer elite today. These men are true leaders who cared about the military and the men and women serving for this country. Vance is a disgrace to the uniform and needs to go ASAP. Leslie recommended wholesale changes that would have gutted the upper echelon in order to properly fund the troops at the pointy end. His report was dismissed.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
His dismissed report is probably why he is no longer willing to run as MP again. Then again, he maybe knows "Team junior" is in serious trouble and could very well be out the door in October.

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I have a generic Canadian Naval question.

WHAT regulations will be used for the construction of the CSC Frigates ?

I appreciate that SOLAS is a standard, along with Lloyds Rules, but what about STANAG's / MIL-Spec's / Naval Engineering Standards / Def-Stan's & the like ?

I'm curious, as European Navies generally use the STANAG's, the UK uses Def-Stan's & a whole pile of other legislation, while Australia have their own regulations that are quite specific & allegedly where based on the old NES's, but have been 'adapted' to suit their specific demands.

SA

Calculus

Latest model of the CSC, at 7:25 of the video:

Interesting to note the changes to the radar panels on the radar superstructure. Also interesting to note the SeaRAM launchers, which in previous models (see below) were beside the funnel, have disappeared. I believe this is an oversight, however, rather than a dropped requirement, as the infographic at the Ships for Canada website still shows the ship will have a CIADS capability (STRONG: the Right Ship Solution for the Navy | Canada's Home Team). Also interesting: There appear to be 6 launch cells immediately aft of the funnel.

Last edited: