Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates

And a video:

As it stands there is no Kingston Class replacement project stood up in Ottawa and no plans currently for one although that will change in a few years I would imagine. This is more or less a unsolicited concept like something Davie shipyard would do. I have seen government concept art and loose requirements from Ottawa about a possible Kingston Class replacement. If anything this broaches the subject.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
As it stands there is no Kingston Class replacement project stood up in Ottawa and no plans currently for one although that will change in a few years I would imagine. This is more or less a unsolicited concept like something Davie shipyard would do. I have seen government concept art and loose requirements from Ottawa about a possible Kingston Class replacement. If anything this broaches the subject.
Agree, a needed replacement for the Kingston class. Timing, early 2030s….maybe.

Sender

Not so sure I agree. There have been several polls now showing quite a large majority of Canadians in favour of more spending on Defence.

More on this topic - some pretty consistent and repeatable polling on Canadian attitudes towards defence spending: International Priorities: Defence rises in prominence as majority believes Canada’s military is lagging behind - Angus Reid Institute

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

Sender

Sender

An interesting tie-up between Babcock, who currently maintain the Victoria Class subs, and Hyundai, related to the the Canadian Patrol Submarine Project. Further evidence the RCN is interested in the Korean subs.

More on KSSIII and the RCN:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
An interesting tie-up between Babcock, who currently maintain the Victoria Class subs, and Hyundai, related to the the Canadian Patrol Submarine Project. Further evidence the RCN is interested in the Korean subs.

Realistically the only option for sub renewal is SK. European builders are pretty much committed except for perhaps France but French subs would be a political land mine IMO. Japanese subs would be a good choice but Japan needs all the subs they build.

seaspear

Realistically the only option for sub renewal is SK. European builders are pretty much committed except for perhaps France but French subs would be a political land mine IMO. Japanese subs would be a good choice but Japan needs all the subs they build.
Has the government committed to a program for a replacement submarine and its requirements so that tenders could be announced as per competition ? best boat stuff all else

Sender

Has the government committed to a program for a replacement submarine and its requirements so that tenders could be announced as per competition ? best boat stuff all else
A project office has been stood up in Ottawa, so it's as close to a commitment as possible at this time.

The thing I found interesting in the video at post 3350 is the statement by the HHI rep that they are offering a sub based on the KSSIII batch 2 that has both AIP and LiOn batteries to satisfy the RCN's need for a very long range patrol submarine.

seaspear

A project office has been stood up in Ottawa, so it's as close to a commitment as possible at this time.

The thing I found interesting in the video at post 3350 is the statement by the HHI rep that they are offering a sub based on the KSSIII batch 2 that has both AIP and LiOn batteries to satisfy the RCN's need for a very long range patrol submarine.
I can understand the RCN is attempting to facilitate this but its the government that spends the money
were there other issues? re North West passage
Britain offers Canadian military help to defend the Arctic | CBC News
Canadian Patrol Submarine Discussion Ramps Up – Canadian Naval Review

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I can understand the RCN is attempting to facilitate this but its the government that spends the money
were there other issues? re North West passage
Britain offers Canadian military help to defend the Arctic | CBC News
Canadian Patrol Submarine Discussion Ramps Up – Canadian Naval Review
Pure speculation but on my part but besides needing to replace the Victoria class, the suggested number of 8-12 boats may indicate a growing concern about a the survivability of surface ships. Eight to twelve boats isn’t feasible unless the CSC is cut by at least 50%, again just my opinion. Other factors are at play, the geopolitical situation and our image with NATO partners.

seaspear

Pure speculation but on my part but besides needing to replace the Victoria class, the suggested number of 8-12 boats may indicate a growing concern about a the survivability of surface ships. Eight to twelve boats isn’t feasible unless the CSC is cut by at least 50%, again just my opinion. Other factors are at play, the geopolitical situation and our image with NATO partners.
Re survivability of surface ships U.S. Plans to Kill China's Hypersonics on the Cheap (foreignpolicy.com)
There seems to be a lot of different submarines being built to have a look at if one of the aims is that such a vessel is to already be in use ,but why does not the Candian navy provide some stipulation on guidelines for the submarine and its capabilities ,I would presume it would be required to be built in Canada

Sender

...but why does not the Candian navy provide some stipulation on guidelines for the submarine and its capabilities ,I would presume it would be required to be built in Canada
RCN would have a set of requirements, for sure, but they don't generally publish this information, which is why there is so much speculation on this. However, we can make some inferences, based on public statements by the RCN, and from Canadian defence experts.

Must have:
  • "Some" under ice capability
  • Long range and endurance
  • Enhanced habitability
  • Reduced crewing through high degree of automation
  • AIP
  • American systems (CMS and torpedoes)
Nice to have:
  • Built (or "assembled") in Canada

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Re survivability of surface ships U.S. Plans to Kill China's Hypersonics on the Cheap (foreignpolicy.com)
There seems to be a lot of different submarines being built to have a look at if one of the aims is that such a vessel is to already be in use ,but why does not the Candian navy provide some stipulation on guidelines for the submarine and its capabilities ,I would presume it would be required to be built in Canada
Yes, there would pressure from Canadian yards to have these subs constructed in Canada, especially if some funding comes from cuts to other naval projects. Probably a long term goal but the first boats would come from SK.

Sender

Yes, there would pressure from Canadian yards to have these subs constructed in Canada, especially if some funding comes from cuts to other naval projects. Probably a long term goal but the first boats would come from SK.
At this point, both projects are separately funded. All things being equal, if properly funded, there should be no cannibalization between the projects. The RCN surface navy mafia is quite powerful, so if comes to a budget fight, I would guess the subs would be cut before CSC. But, at this time, there is $60Billion for subs...