Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) News and Discussions

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

IHFP

Canada – P-8A Aircraft | Defense Security Cooperation Agency (dsca.mil)
The DSCA has approved a FMS sale of 16 P-8A Poseidon aircraft and all associated equipment that goes with them, to the RCAF. Estimated cost is US$5.9B.
According to A look at the P-8 Poseidon, Britain’s new submarine hunter this aircraft can offers a platform for drone piloting. I wonder what drones have been used in conjunction with the "P-8", and if that gives us more information for potential future Canadian drone purchases?
Also I really like the idea of using "sonobuoys" that used "active sonar" to detect CCP submarines. The value of a small cheaper "sonobouy" performing "active sonar" as opposed to risking lives and more expensive ships seems is very appealing.

Last edited:

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
According to A look at the P-8 Poseidon, Britain’s new submarine hunter this aircraft can offers a platform for drone piloting. I wonder what drones have been used in conjunction with the "P-8", and if that gives us more information for potential future Canadian drone purchases?
Also I really like the idea of using "sonobuoys" that used "active sonar" to detect CCP submarines. The value of a small cheaper "sonobouy" performing "active sonar" as opposed to risking lives and more expensive ships seems is very appealing.
IIRC there had been at one point testing the deployment and use of disposable Coyote UAS equipped with MAD in swarms of up to 20 to further boost the sensor coverage and footprint of a Poseidon. The UAS (again, IIRC) is small enough to be carried aboard the Poseidon and deployed via the sonobuoy drop tubes.

It would also be nice to know how many work stations are to be fitted aboard the RCAF Poseidons. I have forgotten what the current number normally fitted is, but I do know that the spiral development has been working towards a final workstation total of seven.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
After selecting a paper helicopter that was years late and over budget (CH-148 Cyclone) hopefully our government won't fall for another paper design.

Bombardier patrol planes would sport price tag 'competitive' with Boeing bid (msn.com)
IIRC reasoning behind the selection of what is/is becoming the CH-148 Cyclone was that it was not a new/another version of the EH-101 Merlin selected by the Mulrooney gov't as the CH-148 Petrel and CH-149 Chimo and then cancelled by the Chretien (I so keep wanting to drop two letters from this name...) and having to pay CAN$500 mil. in cancellation fees.

As I understand it, the selection had little to due with the capability of the paper design or how likely it was to become viable, and everything to do with politics and the optics of no going against what a predecessor of the same ruling party had railed against.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
IIRC reasoning behind the selection of what is/is becoming the CH-148 Cyclone was that it was not a new/another version of the EH-101 Merlin selected by the Mulrooney gov't as the CH-148 Petrel and CH-149 Chimo and then cancelled by the Chretien (I so keep wanting to drop two letters from this name...) and having to pay CAN$500 mil. in cancellation fees.

As I understand it, the selection had little to due with the capability of the paper design or how likely it was to become viable, and everything to do with politics and the optics of no going against what a predecessor of the same ruling party had railed against.
Absolutely the CH-148 (paper S-92 military version) decision by the Martin government was cover for Chretien's stupidity. The CH-149 had to be ordered when Sikorsky screwed up as the SAR helicopter need that couldn't be delayed any longer, hence two platforms that could have been met by the EH101 bid. WRT to the Aurora replacement, Ontario's premier Doug Ford is supporting Bombardier's offer because their business jets are built in Toronto.. His expertise wrt MPA is right up there with his late brother's (Toronto's cocaine mayor ) expertise in abstention from drug abuse. Frigging pollies, always ready to disappoint.

Sender

First of the two ex-Kuwait Airways A330s purchased last year (Canada moves forward with acquisition of first 2 Airbus A330-200s for RCAF future tanker - Skies Mag) as the first phase of an eventual 9. Nice to see some movement on this project. The final 7 are to be new-build, and delivered as full-up MRTTs.

Official announcement:
Four of the nine total will be new-build MRTT, and 5 will be converted MRTT from Kuwaiti Airways low-cycle airframes.

Announcement from Airbus:
And a few more details here: Ottawa buying nine Airbus planes to replace Polaris fleet, including PM's plane

Last edited:

Vanquish

Very happy with this announcement. Canada will be better positioned to help NATO and other commitments with refueling now. I have only one tiny quibble. :p I hate naming planes after land mammals, even though the Husky is known as a working dog.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
That's a massive increase in AAR capability from two A310 tankers.
This is true and apparently F-35s are thirsty buggers so they will get used. This added capability is necessary if proper enforcement of Arctic sovereignty is intended.

Redlands18

This is true and apparently F-35s are thirsty buggers so they will get used. This added capability is necessary if proper enforcement of Arctic sovereignty is intended.
Geeez John the Canadian Government has gone bezerk 16 P-8, and 9 A-330 MRTT ordered in a couple of weeks.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Geeez John the Canadian Government has gone bezerk 16 P-8, and 9 A-330 MRTT ordered in a couple of weeks.
The nine MRTTs has been underway for awhile. P-8ams, still early days and Bombardier and the Ontario and Quebec governments are lobbying hard for the Saab/Global option.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Add value, not politics — many thanks
First of the A330s has arrived in Canada (Ottawa specifically). This will be used for VIP and general transport duties and is not configured as a refueller. It will be sent back to Airbus for that conversion sometime after the new-built MRTTs start to arrive, which is tentatively scheduled for 2027.

No surprise, of course junior would give priority to the VIP mission over AAR.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Poor junior, stuck in India because his plane broke down. Guess he should have ordered the A330s a couple of months earlier…..looks good on him:p

The RNZAF B757s and C-130Hs have a habit of falling over at the most inopportune times, so your PM shouldn't feel to special.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The RNZAF B757s and C-130Hs have a habit of falling over at the most inopportune times, so your PM shouldn't feel to special.
It was admitted a while back by the air force on One News that they were more picky about serviceability than the airlines. This lead me to to thoughts, the first was "WHY" and the second was is this to put more pressure on the government for a replacement.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
It was admitted a while back by the air force on One News that they were more picky about serviceability than the airlines. This lead me to to thoughts, the first was "WHY" and the second was is this to put more pressure on the government for a replacement.
Well I guess there is greater pressure flying VIP pollies around than us poor sods flying commercial.:(