Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) News and Discussions

protoplasm

I welcome any aggressor to tackle an incursion in our north. If the lack of logistics doesnt kill them the polar bears will. Like NW Oz our predators do not discriminate .Salt water crocs and polar bears as national security assetts. Almost sounds like Dr Evil is our defence minister. Freaking laser beams on sharks could be next .
Come to OZ, the sharks will eat you in the sea, the crocs will eat you on the shore, the snakes will kill you on the land and then the kangaroos will kick your dead cooked ass. Great tourism campaign... makes those who might think about invasion have second thoughts.

vonnoobie

Off topic but deadliest Aussie predator around.View attachment 46169
OMG I remember when my family was involved the Chernobyl organisation in Melbourne all the Russian teenagers, Scared each and every one of them with the drop bears. Was lucky though, Didn't lose one kid to those pesky little bastards. lol.

But on a serious note though this is the difference between Australia and Canada.

While we both have distance to protect us from our biggest most capable adversaries Australia unlike Canada still has several other nations much closer and capable friends a lot further away. This has led the majority of Canadians to grow content with a limited military while Australia who less then 2 decades ago had aircraft ready to bomb the capital of Indonesia even without US support (In regards to East Timor). Canada has had the risk of conflict while having the US and Europe as a buffer while Australia to some extent had conflict on her door step with few nations able or close by to assist so for the past while I dont agree with it can see why Canada scaled back their forces and capability.

Today though while the situation has changed some what with relations improving for Australia in SEA China has only gotten more powerful and by extension dangerous not to mention the decades of instability in the Middle East and NK gaining ICBM capability. For Australia the threat still remains if not is even more dangerous and our government is responding accordingly (Through a process that people have been telling them to do for only the last few decades... doh!) while Canada on the other hand not so much. What the Canadian leadership and most of the populace are blind to see is while they still have distance there allies are weaker then they used to be while their possible enemies have been growing and acquiring means to strike them from a lot further away. America isn't the super power it used to be and things are only going to get worse same with most of Europe, Canada is in a far worse position now then they have been since the days of America and Canada making plans to invade each other.

Long range munitions and reduced allied forces leaves Canada in a realistic chance of danger. Canada is still living in the past unwilling to wake up to the present day realities while Australia has always faced them thus was unable to forget or ignore them.

My 2 cents.

Regards, me.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, your accessment of Canada's changing environment wrt to emerging threats is correct. A couple of others are climate change which will make our Arctic more vulnerable and the US. I mention the US due to the increasing polarization of its population during the last 15 years. If this trend continues, civil unrest will occur at some point in this country which has more guns than citizens. Not much we can do about the US but for the other stuff, a properly equipped military would be a step in the right direction. Doubtful our electorate will ever accept this until it is too late.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Yes, they cancelled it, magically, the day before the announcement they got the Cormorant Upgrade.

The Cormorant upgrade might be less than legal fees:D Glad the upgrade is happening as well as the additional new Cormorants. I wonder what the outcome of a suit would have been? I recall reading about LM-Sikorsky’s offer on a SAR version of the Cyclone but I guess the Liberals have learned paper helicopters can bite you in the a$$.

40 deg south

Picture of the first C295W (FWSAR) in production in Spain: Canada’s new fixed wing search and rescue aircraft takes shape – first delivery expected next year

Which should eventually look something like this:
I can't find the link, but I'm sure I read somewhere that RCAF has opted for a conventional military grey paint scheme rather than Rescue Yellow, so they have the option of deploying them as transports on offshore missions, without attracting hostile fire and ridicule from allies.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Last edited:

Calculus

I can't find the link, but I'm sure I read somewhere that RCAF has opted for a conventional military grey paint scheme rather than Rescue Yellow, so they have the option of deploying them as transports on offshore missions, without attracting hostile fire and ridicule from allies.
@40 deg south They have reversed that decision will leave them yellow, unless deployed outside of Canada. Here is the link: Canadian military ditches plan to paint new search-and-rescue planes grey, will stick with familiar yellow

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Canada has obtained US State Dept approval for the acquisition of three King Air 350ER ISR Aircraft (Manned Airborne, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance - MAISR) valued at approximately US$300 million.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
An update on the fighter procurement. A draft proposal is going out in a few days, followed by a formal proposal in the spring and a contract in late 2021 or early 2022. Compared to the RCAF, the RCN is moving at light speed, the government’s fault, not the RCAF’s. The timing clearly is designed to eliminate fighters as an election issue in Oct 2019.

Canadian Global Affairs Institute’s Annual Defence Procurement Conference - Canada.ca

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
When the fighter tender goes out it will stress ITB as a key requirement. Note the comment in the link about trade disputes. The timing means Boeing’s actions against Bombardier will be over two years s so it won’t be held against Boeing. With LM Canada’s win on the CSC, it should help in meeting their ITB requirements when combined with the fighter program and other defence projects under way.

Ottawa sticking to F-35 program as it gets ready for full fighter competition

hauritz

When the fighter tender goes out it will stress ITB as a key requirement. Note the comment in the link about trade disputes. The timing means Boeing’s actions against Bombardier will be over two years s so it won’t be held against Boeing. With LM Canada’s win on the CSC, it should help in meeting their ITB requirements when combined with the fighter program and other defence projects under way.

The article mentions that in the last federal election, the Liberals said in their platform that they would not buy the F-35, promising instead to select “one of the many, lower-priced options that better match Canada’s defence needs.”

How ridiculous does that sound now?

The cost of the F-35 is continuing to drop and is probably now comparable in cost to the SuperHornet, Eurofighter and Rafale. It is obvious the F-35 is the best option but because of the previous pronouncements by the Liberals Canada will have to endure yet another tedious selection process just so Jnr can save face.

SpazSinbad

What a liar liar pants on fire creep the dhead who said this is: "...“We’re keeping our involvement alive to get access to that product at the best possible terms,”...." How about 1 Billion in someone's dollars of industrial contracts already to make parts for the F-35 in Xanada (I would put Xanadu but that would demean the Zananudians).

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
An update on the fighter procurement. A draft proposal is going out in a few days, followed by a formal proposal in the spring and a contract in late 2021 or early 2022. Compared to the RCAF, the RCN is moving at light speed, the government’s fault, not the RCAF’s. The timing clearly is designed to eliminate fighters as an election issue in Oct 2019.

Canadian Global Affairs Institute’s Annual Defence Procurement Conference - Canada.ca
Modernisation of the procurement process????? Us Kiwis got better chance of winning the Stanley Cup or so called world series of baseball. :D:D

The Canuck pollies are as delusional as ever. IMHO LM should axe Canada from the program unless they acquire the F-35. No ifs, buts or maybes. Spaz sums it up succinctly.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
At this stage, it makes no sense for LM to play hardball. The Typhoon and Rafael stand no chance based on recent pricing. More importantly the lack of spares seems to have reduced the readiness rate for Typhoons and Canadian military procurement staff dealing with Dassault....OXYMORON Alert!!

The battle will be between Boeing and LM IMO. Given the 5th Gen technology and a minimal price difference (if any), LM should win unless Boeing cooks up some kind of lucrative ITB package. Junior no doubt hopes this will be the case. In the unlikely event junior loses the next election, the Conservatives will order the F-35. Ontario’s premier, Doug “the thug” Ford will help the federal conservatives as it will benefit Ontario more than Quebec.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Hardly a secret junior would try to enhance Euro contenders bidding chances by providing extra time to meet certain specs. Still, Typhoon and Rafale are not price competitive based on previous contracts with American choices. The issue of ITB offsets is clearly what junior hopes will derail the F-35. This favours Boeing mostly. Can't see any of the Euros beating Boeing on this requirement.

Ottawa changes requirements for new fighter jets to help European firms to qualify