Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) News and Discussions

Novascotiaboy

The other thing to consider in regard to numbers is that the classic F18 was bought at the tail end of the Cold War and at that time we had squadrons based in Germany. I agree a number more realistic is 80 but I feel we will be lucky to see the 65 that was previously stated.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agree, a lower number is likely. Luckly if we get 40 F-35s/SHs added to the 18 interim purchase.:(

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I think I worked out what is wrong with Canada's selection process :)

Bids for new military search planes needed moving vans to be delivered | National Newswatch

Alenia Aermacchi North America alone submitted 2,700 kilograms of paperwork for its SAR aircraft bid.
Critics and analysts say it's a sign of how "obscenely complicated" and risk-adverse military procurement has become, despite promises by both the Liberals and Conservatives to fix the system.
It seems to me that risk averse procurement was usually the greatest risk to the public purse in any government job I ever held.

It leads to this...

Novascotiaboy

I used my limited math skills to determine that 2700 kg of paper is equivalent to 298 boxes of paper with 5000 sheets per box. Or 1.49 million sheets of paper. Divide that by two for English and French submission that's still almost three quarters of a million pages to support their bid.

How can this be justified?

t68

I used my limited math skills to determine that 2700 kg of paper is equivalent to 298 boxes of paper with 5000 sheets per box. Or 1.49 million sheets of paper. Divide that by two for English and French submission that's still almost three quarters of a million pages to support their bid.

For that amount of paper and weight it should be very well detailed down to the last bolt, hate to imagine the ink cartridge bill!!

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

Junior's new CO2 rules and a phase out of coal burning by 2030 means more trees can be cut for paper production because there won't be as much CO2 to remove by photosynthesis. Thanks to multiculturalism/PC, we will likely need even more paper as we add new official languages. Junior is really thinking ahead! Can't believe why I didn't vote for him........:flaming

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
For that amount of paper and weight it should be very well detailed down to the last bolt, hate to imagine the ink cartridge bill!!
Not a problem, junior can delete another CSC ship for the navy to cover the ink bill.

hauritz

... and if it takes a minute to read a page then it would take one person working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 12 years to read it all.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yep Canada is now officially worse at defence procurement than India. The Indian bureaucracy only requires submissions to weigh 1 tonne of paper at the standard A4 sheet size and gsm.

Vulcan

It depends how the requirement is justified, every technical point needs to be stated to be either demonstrated or proved to meet a certain capability and standard. The technical points can boil down to incredibly similar things but need the contractor to show "yes, it can do this" in case something messes up.

It's risk aversion but it's not unreasonable considering the potentially lethal consequences. It might be something like 'can X operate in environment characteristic Y', but then it operates in environment with a similar Y+ characteristic and it breaks. It's the Govt's ass on the line then, when they could ask for Y, Y+, Y- and Y2 which all need to be proven.

Vanshilar

Here is a link further enhancing the image junior and his minions.:eek:nfloorl:
The DND forgot to say "All of you who downloaded the report via Wayback Machine or Google Cache since this news broke a couple of days ago better not compare that version with the eventual redacted version to find out just what was classified!"

Classic example of the Streisand Effect.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The National Post claim that the Airbus C295 has won the Canadian SAR aircraft contract. I am not sure of the accuracy of the article and tried to trace it back to the Ottawa Citizen, but it doesn't appear on their website. According to the article the official announcement is to be made Thursday Ottawa time.

Joe Black

When it comes down to Canada's defence procurement program, the state of "analysis paralysis" seems to rule supreme as it so appears.

Novascotiaboy

Ngati nice to see you reading the National Post and following Canadian affairs. If this is correct and Airbus has won lets hope that this goes along and aircraft get in service as quick as possible to start replacing the vintage aircraft now serving this vast country. Those in need and those flying in them deserve no less.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The National Post claim that the Airbus C295 has won the Canadian SAR aircraft contract. I am not sure of the accuracy of the article and tried to trace it back to the Ottawa Citizen, but it doesn't appear on their website. According to the article the official announcement is to be made Thursday Ottawa time.
If this is true, another disappointment for the RCA as their preference was the C-27J.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Ngati nice to see you reading the National Post and following Canadian affairs. If this is correct and Airbus has won lets hope that this goes along and aircraft get in service as quick as possible to start replacing the vintage aircraft now serving this vast country. Those in need and those flying in them deserve no less.
Ahem, someone posted the story in an ex RNZAF social media group that I frequent, so that's how I found the story. One member of the group now lives in Montreal and another in Edmonton.