Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack412

OK that also fits the 2040 timeline, but has a sub in the water and fitted out in 2040.

Sorry, I know these are short posts. I don't have a formulated position to submit to the forum.

Boagrius

I watched Albo doing his press conference yesterday, he didn’t look like a happy camper at all.

It was funny how he gave bipartisan support to the Government without actually saying the word ‘yes’.

As for the ‘2040’ date, he said that in his press conference, I think that was pure politics, separates himself from something by setting a date way way into the future.

Cheers,
You'd hope so. Another 20 years is a long time to keep Collins running and relevant in our part of the world. The last of her kind will be positively geriatric by the time they're all divested(!).

hairyman

Getting back to names for the new subs. how about keeping with A and haveing the first and the class name either "Arnhem" or Arnhem Land", you cant have more Aussie than that?

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I posted at #29,772 the only sensible names for these vessels are after Melbourne Cup winners HMAS Makybe Diva, HMAS Think Big, HMAS Empire Rose, HMAS Let's Elope, HMAS What A Nuisance and of course HMAS Phar Lap. :D

If not name a champion racehorse to represent each State and Territory. Or starting from this next Melbourne Cup day name the sub after the winner!

Geddy

Its still amazing for this to have its roots going back so far and being kept under wraps for so long too.

Cheers,
What’s also interesting is the reporting about the German type 216 being considered. Anyone who’s thought about Australian subs for 5 minutes would understand that this was a ridiculous idea, but I wonder if there was a bit of misinformation thrown the journo’s way to take them off the scent of nuclear vessels?

Boatteacher

The French seem a bit peeved.
Might it be the case that this article highlights some of the problems that underlied the original agreement.
France FM: Biden Acted Like Trump by Sabotaging Submarine Deal

I like the comment.."The deal — dubbed the “contract of the century” by French media — would have generated tens of billions of dollars for Paris. "

Which sort of misses the point that the money was meant to be spent in Australia doesn't it?

Geddy

The French seem a bit peeved.
Might it be the case that this article highlights some of the problems that underlied the original agreement.
France FM: Biden Acted Like Trump by Sabotaging Submarine Deal

I like the comment.."The deal — dubbed the “contract of the century” by French media — would have generated tens of billions of dollars for Paris. "

Which sort of misses the point that the money was meant to be spent in Australia doesn't it?
Well not exactly. It’s a business deal and yes, the French would have made a profit. Why else would they have competed for the project? Some money would have been spent in Australia but they’re going to make a profit.

MickB

Many comments in media as to this being yet another delay in sub program.
If Astutes chosen are these not basically MOTT except for the US combat system.
Would this not speed up the process rather than a whole new design, even if modified off Barracuda.

KiwiRob

Rob. In Australia's case it actually is now the opposite of being a vassal state, in that finally the penny in the US and indeed other liberal democracies has dropped, that the US cannot be the great protector alone. It is in my view an act of self-confidence by Australia.
I would argue that the US doesn't need to be the great protector, they only get involved when there is a benefit to them, the only exception since WW2 I can think of is the Balkans, everything else has been due to paranoia or for the benefit of US industry and oil interests. The US is not a country that is trustworthy, they're in the same bucket as China in that respect.

A company I know had to pull out of supplying equipment to the Nord Stream pipeline or risk facing US sanctions, this is a project that has absolutely nothing to do with the US, it's between Germany and Russia, what right has the US got to meddle with who Germany buys gas from, or is it there business because they are using sanctions to promote the sale of far more expensive US produced shale gas? The US has weaponised sanctions, my former employer pulled out of Russian, costing them hundreds of millions of NOK in sales because the US sanctioned USC, the EU hadn't sanctioned them, neither had Norway, the US did, so the banks refuse to accept payment. The world needs to be remove it's reliance on the USD.

Last edited:

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would argue that the US doesn't need to be the great protector, they only get involved when there is a benefit to them, the only exception since WW2 I can think of is the Balkans, everything else has been due to paranoia or for the benefit of US industry and oil interests. The US is not a country that is trustworthy, they're in the same bucket as China in that respect.

A company I know had to pull out of supplying equipment to the Nord Stream pipeline or risk facing US sanctions, this is a project that has absolutely nothing to do with the US, it's between Germany and Russia, what right has the US got to meddle with who Germany buys gas from, or is it there business because they are using sanctions to promote the sale of far more expensive US produced shale gas? The US has weaponised sanctions, my former employer pulled out of Russian, costing them hundreds of millions of NOK in sales because the US sanctioned USC, the EU hadn't sanctioned them, neither had Norway, the US did, so the banks refuse to accept payment. The world needs to be remove it's reliance on the USD.
You forget to mention the Russians Rob on your name and shame your list of the big bad guys. Why is that? It is the EU's business who Germany buys gas from and many in the EU countries they were not happy.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
As I posted at #29,772 the only sensible names for these vessels are after Melbourne Cup winners HMAS Makybe Diva, HMAS Think Big, HMAS Empire Rose, HMAS Let's Elope, HMAS What A Nuisance and of course HMAS Phar Lap. :D

If not name a champion racehorse to represent each State and Territory. Or starting from this next Melbourne Cup day name the sub after the winner!
You're taking the "Ladbrokes the world" campaign a little to far, although Marky Mark Wahlberg smashing the champagne bottle would definitely help with PR when its over budget and delayed...

Attachments

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Well maybe the Russians shouldn't have interfered in US elections, and oh yes using WMD in the UK in a bungled assassination attempt, instead killing an innocent woman. The cyber attacks that repeatedly enamate from within Russia the illegal Russian annexation of Crimea, the Russian war against the Ukraine. You have are somewhat one sided and makes me wonder if you are a Kremlin apologist.

Redlands18

You're taking the "Ladbrokes the world" campaign a little to far, although Marky Mark Wahlberg smashing the champagne bottle would definitely help with PR when its over budget and delayed...
You do realise that all the Horses Mr C named are Kiwi Horses don't you? I will agree with him on one condition, I could be a Fly on the wall when Jacinderella found out.:D

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
You do realise that all the Horses Mr C named are Kiwi Horses don't you? I will agree with him on one condition, I could be a Fly on the wall when Jacinderella found out.:D
He didn't name a certain Kiwi horse, besides Bonecrusher so he's being kind to you. Actually Bonecrusher is a great name for a warship.

On another front. The French are that mad that they cancelled a party in Washington celebrating a 240 year old naval battle. It must have been a really rare one - they won it.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
He didn't name a certain Kiwi horse, besides Bonecrusher so he's being kind to you. Actually Bonecrusher is a great name for a warship.

On another front. The French are that mad that they cancelled a party in Washington celebrating a 240 year old naval battle. It must have been a really rare one - they won it.

Ouch!!

Unric

If RAN does goes down the Astute path the RAN and RN may look very similar in some respects in a decade or 2. Not just in ship types but in numbers too (except CVs and SSBNs). I think that says a lot about AU level of commitment considering it's well less than 1/2 the population.

Status
Not open for further replies.