Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redlands18

Last edited:

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Anything is possible. A roof you say? Air conditioning.. Arrh the days when the RAN could only afford 1 hat, and only officers could afford shirts.
View attachment 47696

The Camcopter s-100 container system is pretty sweet, although I am not sure its designed for marine operations. It includes two laptops, air con, blinds.
View attachment 47697

OPV's have 9LV so combat system wise its not terrible. But I suspect even that was selected to cut training costs.
I’ve kept watche
Who's that in the CO's chair? It looks a bit like Jim O'Hara who of course never captained her; but it also looks like he has LEUT's rings while the officer at the pelorus looks like a sub; so the afternoon watch with the captain having a snooze? Terrific ships.
Jim was a year ahead of me. Vampire was “up top” on FESR in 1969, I was a Phase II Midshipman in her after the Melbourne/Evans collision.
In June 1970 Vampire commenced her big half life conversion/refit at Williamstown so the pic is unlikely to be Jim.
Fantastic bridges to be on in the tropics but not much fun in winter in the EAXA.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Very typical of any period up to the first Gulf war. Most of us didn't suffer that many ill effects apart from the odd BCC - although of course for a few it was catastrophic. I would particularly miss the sandals when in summer rig if I could still to go to sea in a warship.

The picture, while on the Vampire page, could actually be of VD; not Ducky though I think she was a bit different (cudgels brain for 50 year old memories!). Not Voyager either - the baseball caps didn't really come in till the mid 60s and 7th fleet time; and the one the signalman on the starboard side is wearing is pretty faded (it might even be kharki).

Open bridges in winter - spent some of the worst hours of my life on Anzac's bridge coming south into a Tasman low, upper deck closed and watch on stop on - not that it compares with some of Assail's experiences, we were never in any danger, but decidedly uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I don't know where it comes from, uniform, APS, or political, but I have noticed a very strong aversion to forward thinking and planning.

An example I can think of is the Hobart class helicopter facilities. It was known during build, in fact well before consolidation, that they would never operate SH-60B, let alone the Super Sea Sprite. It was known that neither the MH-60R or NH-90 physically fit in the hangar and that the structural mods required for one, would suit the other. It was known that Penguin would never be carried. Yet despite all this knowledge, only the final ship had the required changes incorporated during build, and even then they were modifications that required completed work to be removed and scrapped.

There is a degree of inertia and risk aversion that is at times mind boggling. Like I stated, I don't know where it comes from but it is there, and follows through, no matter the justification for acting sooner.

Somewhere the decision was made that the OPVs would only operate UAVs and every other decision has been made IAW this. No doubt we will see studies in years to come to strengthen the flight decks and add ballast to compensate.

Redlands18

Very typical of any period up to the first Gulf war. Most of us didn't suffer that many ill effects apart from the odd BCC - although of course for a few it was catastrophic. I would particularly miss the sandals when in summer rig if I could still to go to sea in a warship.

The picture, while on the Vampire page, could actually be of VD; not Ducky though I think she was a bit different (cudgels brain for 50 year old memories!). Not Voyager either - the baseball caps didn't really come in till the mid 60s and 7th fleet time; and the one the signalman on the starboard side is wearing is pretty faded (it might even be kharki).

Open bridges in winter - spent some of the worst hours of my life on Anzac's bridge coming south into a Tasman low, upper deck closed and watch on stop on - not that it compares with some of Assail's experiences, we were never in any danger, but decidedly uncomfortable.
How in all name of sanity they did the Arctic Convoys in WW2 in open Bridges is beyond me.

Stampede

NUSHIP Supply II arrived at FBW today.
You would think that the RAN fb page or Navy Daily News would carry the storey but apparently it’s a long weekend and they’ve all signed off.
Got these pics from Supply’s own page.

Just adding a small article from APDR regarding NUSHIP Supply II

Regards Stampede

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I've been thinking on the Pacific support ship, eventual Choules replacement and wonder if a smallish through deck amphib, such as the Osumi or San Giogio would be suitable? I believe there are through deck variants of Singapores Endurance and the Netherlands Endurance as well.

Such a ship could switch roles rapidly from troop lift to HADR, SAR, logistics support for deployed forces, MCM support, mobile base for special forces operations, supplement the aviation and lift capabilities of the LHDs, provide a versatile platform where an LHD is over kill. Imagine an evacuation scenario where one of these goes in with SAS / 2 Commando, detachments from 6 AVN and 1 AVN, fast combat boats etc. as a path finder force for regular forces on an LHD.

Further, if the ADF does eventually go for F-35B, such ships could operate the Tigers, MRH and / or Chooks pushed off the LHDs decks, something a more conventional LPD cant do.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I've been thinking on the Pacific support ship, eventual Choules replacement and wonder if a smallish through deck amphib, such as the Osumi or San Giogio would be suitable? I believe there are through deck variants of Singapores Endurance and the Netherlands Endurance as well.

Such a ship could switch roles rapidly from troop lift to HADR, SAR, logistics support for deployed forces, MCM support, mobile base for special forces operations, supplement the aviation and lift capabilities of the LHDs, provide a versatile platform where an LHD is over kill. Imagine an evacuation scenario where one of these goes in with SAS / 2 Commando, detachments from 6 AVN and 1 AVN, fast combat boats etc. as a path finder force for regular forces on an LHD.

Further, if the ADF does eventually go for F-35B, such ships could operate the Tigers, MRH and / or Chooks pushed off the LHDs decks, something a more conventional LPD cant do.
Now we're cooking with gas. This is one of the more sensible suggestions that I've seen in a while.

Stampede

I feel when you get to amphib style ships with a beam of 25m + and above 16000t you may as well push the island to one side and have a full length flight deck.........................As you suggest many options in the market place.

The counter argument maybe, that once you get to the above sized ship, then go that bit further and get another Canberra LHD and get the benefits of commonality with an in service vessel.

Argh to dream.............................Volk you know not to mention that F35B flying thing

Regards S

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Fifth column covertly facilitating the acquisition of all required infrastructure and expertise prior to slipping two dozen Bs into the future plans.

Once the Bs are proving themselves on the Canberras the Hunters can be followed by a class of DDHs to permit the LHDs to return to their primary role. :cool:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Argh to dream.............................Volk you know not to mention that F35B flying thing

Regards S
You did have to go and bring that up didn't you. Naughty boy. You know that we have to give NT posters special dispensations because of their inherent geographically misplaced thought processes ;) That they freak out if they can't see a pub or bottlo.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
You did have to go and bring that up didn't you. Naughty boy. You know that we have to give NT posters special dispensations because of their inherent geographically misplaced thought processes ;) That they freak out if they can't see a pub or bottlo.
Even worse, working from home during school holidays...." No darling, we can't go out, I have to work", ten minutes later, " No darling, we can't go out, I have to work".

Stampede

Apologies - Symptom of Stage four lockdown

S

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
osumi class
Bow doors, big ship to go beaching, no hangar facilities. Also a bit long for a local build.
San Giorgio
Only two deck landing spots if built to the more recent Algerian spec. 4 if to the original Italian spec
I'm not sure either have much in terms of hospital facilities as standard. Both designs are a bit long in the tooth. I'm not sure either design is that attractive for a pacific ship.

That being said, the general layout of San Giorgio I quite like. I could certainly see some sort of light ASW ship/anti-piracy/amphibious ship fitting that design shape. We could certainly build a ship of that type.

4 landing spots, 2 for chinook/MV22. Able to hangar four MH60R's and UAV's.
Able to embark and deploy 1 x LCM1E.

But then again such a design would run into the JSS design by Navantia. Unless you are specifically in need of significantly improved aviation facilities (ASW?), you would seem to get a lot more out of the JSS design.

Sideline

The JSS design by Navantia, is almost the only option IMHO, as it would have so many operations, systems and parts in common with the LHD's and the Supply Class AOR that any cost differences would be repaid in reduced training, parts and the standing relationship/understanding with Navantia.

Besides, There is also another major technical point to consider that a fleet of 2 x LHD's, 2 x Supply Class AOR, 2 x JSS, 2 x Hunter Class FFG and 2 x Hobart Class DDGs would look SO VERY COOL. :cool::D

swerve

Super Moderator
osumi class
Bow doors, big ship to go beaching, no hangar facilities. Also a bit long for a local build.
San Giorgio
Only two deck landing spots if built to the more recent Algerian spec. 4 if to the original Italian spec
I'm not sure either have much in terms of hospital facilities as standard. Both designs are a bit long in the tooth. I'm not sure either design is that attractive for a pacific ship.
Oosumi class doesn't have bow doors. It has a stern dock, as shown in the photo linked to below -
https://www.carrushome.com/media/2018/03/9-10.jpg

LSTs generally have bow doors, but calling the Oosumis LSTs may have been one of those cases of Japanese creative naming, like calling a 27,000 ton through-deck helicopter carrier a destroyer. An LST is generally smaller than an LPD. Oosumi's about the same length as the Navantia JSS design, BTW.

The original Santi were designed & built a long time ago, but I think the design of the new ones for Algeria & Qatar was brought up to date, though I can't say by how much. There is another issue, though: they're small. Even the Algerian & Qatari ships, which are about 10 metres longer, are small: only about 9000 tons full load. Would the RAN want a follow-on to a Bay-class which isn't much more than half the size?

Status
Not open for further replies.