Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoresBasher

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I know Canberra can load-unload whilst along side, but can she make use of her stern ramp like HMAS Tobruk did with her bow ramp at FBE?
I really doubt if she could, but really there is no need, she can be loaded by the side ramps. Where as Tobruk cannot.

Imprimis

I finished work and went to have a look down at Fleet base East.
Of course the camera was not charged and i only got a few photos
Missed her coming into the harbour and i am spewing!!!
Day off tomorrow and will go down and take a heap of pictures.

Edit. Dose anyone know what the conduit is on the side of the ship?
You can kinda see it in picture 5.
Do you mean the rectangular lines? Those are tracks for the life raft guide/control cables.

the road runner

Do you mean the rectangular lines? Those are tracks for the life raft guide/control cables.
Cheers, i knew they had some electrical cables tucked away in the conduit ,i was just curious why they were not plumbed internally in the ship.

After seeing how impressive the ship is, i would say that his would be a very good recruiting tool for Navy.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cheers, i knew they had some electrical cables tucked away in the conduit ,i was just curious why they were not plumbed internally in the ship.

After seeing how impressive the ship is, i would say that his would be a very good recruiting tool for Navy.
Interesting they used a tug, I thought with the pods and what not, she could pull herself up?

She looks fantastic. Just like the CGI pics. In Melb I was a bit disappointed because she was so far away and you couldn't get up and close and no real markers or scenic backdrops. Williamstown isn't quite as scenic as Sydney harbour.

I think it will be a big win for recruitment for the ADF as a whole. I wonder if they will spin a recruiting ad off the LHD for all the services.

King Wally

You wait till they have a deck full of MRH-90 with door gunners and Tigers with Hellfire's strapped on buzzing around, the kids are going to love it! Let alone if anyone ever gets a photo op with a USMC F-35B on the deck! It's the kind of ship teenagers will imagine themselves storming some North Korean beach via. Definitely going to excite some young folks toward recruitment much like the F-35 will for the Air Force. Sure that's not why you invest in these items but it's going to be a side benefit all the same.

Collateral

She is very impressive. Although two seems like a bit of overkill. I thought we were having trouble staffing the equipment that we already have. Assuming Tobruk's crew will be reassigned.

So what are the cables on the side doing again? Looks a bit dodgy up close haha.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
She is very impressive. Although two seems like a bit of overkill. I thought we were having trouble staffing the equipment that we already have. Assuming Tobruk's crew will be reassigned.
Having one of something is not that useful because much of the time you won't actually have anything available to use.

Personally I don't see crewing these being a big issue. I would imagine many sailors would hope for a transfer to a Sydney basing, on a large brand new ship, with excellent facilities that will take on very important missions and train with other navies.

Collateral

Having one of something is not that useful because much of the time you won't actually have anything available to use.

Personally I don't see crewing these being a big issue. I would imagine many sailors would hope for a transfer to a Sydney basing, on a large brand new ship, with excellent facilities that will take on very important missions and train with other navies.
True about the two ships.

As for Sailors transferring, that's all well and good but we currently dont have the manpower to man everything, or so I'm told.
A big bump in recruitment numbers might be needed. The only ship facing retirement in the very near future is Tobruk, followed by Success.

weegee

You won't see a lot from tomorrow, she is going into drty dock.
They are not stuffing around are they? I thought a couple of days along side checking the results of tests etc would be been the go. But I see this morning she is in the dock already?

Is anyone able to get some shots of her out of the water? It would be interesting to see what her pods look like and the actual size of them too.

weegee

True about the two ships.

As for Sailors transferring, that's all well and good but we currently dont have the manpower to man everything, or so I'm told.
A big bump in recruitment numbers might be needed. The only ship facing retirement in the very near future is Tobruk, followed by Success.
I thought for the surface fleet anyway we were well and truly ok for staffing numbers? Someone on here I cant remember who is in the job said a while back that because of these ships we ok for crew and that a lot of people had recruited.

King Wally

I would think that the main idea is that they Guarantee that they always have one LHD ready to deploy at any given time. You really need two for that.

Whether or not the RAN is also planning to have an ability to surge both LHD out at once in a crisis may be another goal altogether they will aim toward. There is also Choules and her crew to consider as well?

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought for the surface fleet anyway we were well and truly ok for staffing numbers? Someone on here I cant remember who is in the job said a while back that because of these ships we ok for crew and that a lot of people had recruited.
Well we better get ready.

Fiji is holding elections in September.
Xanana Gusmão is standing down from east timorese politics in September.

Previously these two countries have had major policing/military operations to stabilize them during periods of change.

Infact I wouldn't be surprised if Fiji or East Timor in Sept aren't the LHD's first operation. They will most likely be ready for something even if they aren't deployed.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I would think that the main idea is that they Guarantee that they always have one LHD ready to deploy at any given time. You really need two for that.

Whether or not the RAN is also planning to have an ability to surge both LHD out at once in a crisis may be another goal altogether they will aim toward. There is also Choules and her crew to consider as well?
Just because they're big doesn't mean that staffing is a problem. They take 350 billets, subtract the 40 odd Army and Airforce billets so just over 300.
In comparison, the old DDG's were 333, the River class frigates 250 and CV 21 was (Melbourne) 1300, so not a big deal and easily handled and planned for.

StoresBasher

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
First off, I'll get some pics of Canberra in dry dock on Monday, I would have got them today, but I was too busy!

It a myth that the RAN cannot man it's (new) ships. We have pretty high numbers and more than enough to cover Canberra and Adelaide. In fact Adelaide crew have already been assigned, that with Tobruk still in operation. I start my Adelaide posting in a week. Also whispers are abound that Tobruk will be kept on a little longer. Hearing this for Sydney too.

The cables on the side of the ship are for the MES, the evacuation system, similar to the one on Choules.

t68

First off, I'll get some pics of Canberra in dry dock on Monday, I would have got them today, but I was too busy!

It a myth that the RAN cannot man it's (new) ships. We have pretty high numbers and more than enough to cover Canberra and Adelaide. In fact Adelaide crew have already been assigned, that with Tobruk still in operation. I start my Adelaide posting in a week. Also whispers are abound that Tobruk will be kept on a little longer. Hearing this for Sydney too.

The cables on the side of the ship are for the MES, the evacuation system, similar to the one on Choules.
So are you saying that we will have Canberra, Adelaide, Choules & Tobruk in service at the same time once the LHD reach FOC?

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Remember also that there are 2 x FFH - Anzac and Warramunga - that aren't being manned and that will continue until the ASMD upgrades are completed in 2017

the road runner

Hope you go trigger happy with your camera.
You should download a heap of them in the DT pictures section to live on in history:D
This really has been a big few days for the people of Sydney .
All the tradie's at work were talking about it today ...
"Have you seen the new aircraft carrier we own ... its in the harbour,its fully sick!!"

I was looking at a few pics of the Juan Carlos LHD and they have conduit on their ship. Altho theirs are on an angle similar to a "roof shape" while the Canberra was in a "rectangle shape."

StoresBasher

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hope you go trigger happy with your camera.
You should download a heap of them in the DT pictures section to live on in history:D
This really has been a big few days for the people of Sydney .
All the tradie's at work were talking about it today ...
"Have you seen the new aircraft carrier we own ... its in the harbour,its fully sick!!"

I was looking at a few pics of the Juan Carlos LHD and they have conduit on their ship. Altho theirs are on an angle similar to a "roof shape" while the Canberra was in a "rectangle shape."
Not sure how I put the pics up, I took a couple of quick ones today when she was doing into CCDD, but I can't upload as it is over my quota.

Status
Not open for further replies.