Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Now, that reminds me of an incident on Derwent’s starboard bridge wing when on Beecroft in 1971. No hearing protection for the 2nd OOW of course, and my left ear is still worse than my right. DVA has accepted that’s what caused it.

rand0m

Rambling mode on..

The balkipans were mean to be replaced originally with a new class to enter service this year. Land 8710 has a new advisor. The program seems to be getting shuffled and refocused.

They may go with something like LST120 type boats, a riverine craft etc. In that case the Army and the ARG might reconfigure. Also there are several LAND projects that will have tremendous impact on the ARG concepts. Land 400 and related. This will see any ARG grow massively in weight, size and what not.
I've wondered whether we could jump on the US Navy LAW hot production line and pick up balkipan replacements at a decent price, fairly similar requirements to the LST120 from memory.

vonnoobie

I've wondered whether we could jump on the US Navy LAW hot production line and pick up balkipan replacements at a decent price, fairly similar requirements to the LST120 from memory.

It will depend on a number of factors such as what we need them to do, How many personnel we can afford to man and sustain them with and how many hulls do we need for the tasks that is envisioned.

While jumping on a hot production line to snag a couple sounds good (Though may not go over well with local defence industry screaming over issues with submarines just to have defence buy such ships from abroad let alone the WA mafia, and if built here the hot production line in the US wont mean squat to us) the ships the US is looking at has a tonnage greater then what our entire Balikpapan fleet combined had while the crew numbers if personnal numbers remain the same between the Balikpapan and this such ship (or any of the other 4 contenders) would mean we could crew only 2.. Maybe 3 if they get their numbers down.

https://sgp.fas.org/crs/weapons/R46374.pdf

They are looking at a ship 60 - 120m in length, 4,000 tons, a crew of no more then 40, etc.

Get a lot more for the size yes but will we be able to man them fully while at the same time acquiring the numbers that we need? No I dont know how many we will need.. Maybe 2 will suit us, But maybe we need a 1 for 1 and have to have 6 hulls.. Maybe need more.. Been so long since this 'program' started and was just left to gather dust I imagine it really needs to be started from scratch to work out what we need based on todays current and projected situation. What we might have thought would suit us a decade ago could be all but useless today.

MickB

It will depend on a number of factors such as what we need them to do, How many personnel we can afford to man and sustain them with and how many hulls do we need for the tasks that is envisioned.

While jumping on a hot production line to snag a couple sounds good (Though may not go over well with local defence industry screaming over issues with submarines just to have defence buy such ships from abroad let alone the WA mafia, and if built here the hot production line in the US wont mean squat to us) the ships the US is looking at has a tonnage greater then what our entire Balikpapan fleet combined had while the crew numbers if personnal numbers remain the same between the Balikpapan and this such ship (or any of the other 4 contenders) would mean we could crew only 2.. Maybe 3 if they get their numbers down.

They are looking at a ship 60 - 120m in length, 4,000 tons, a crew of no more then 40, etc.

Get a lot more for the size yes but will we be able to man them fully while at the same time acquiring the numbers that we need? No I dont know how many we will need.. Maybe 2 will suit us, But maybe we need a 1 for 1 and have to have 6 hulls.. Maybe need more.. Been so long since this 'program' started and was just left to gather dust I imagine it really needs to be started from scratch to work out what we need based on todays current and projected situation. What we might have thought would suit us a decade ago could be all but useless today.
Given I have little idea of their capabilites, could Austal build a steel ship of this size in W A ?

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Given I have little idea of their capabilites, could Austal build a steel ship of this size in W A ?
Not yet

Lots of plans for WA, watch this space :)

Cheers

vonnoobie

Not yet

Lots of plans for WA, watch this space :)

Cheers
I imagine they will do to WA what they are doing in Mobile and expand it do a duel material yard both aluminum and steel even more so if it pays off big in Mobile.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
These are fully equipped multi mission cabs complete with ASW systems, which is more than would be required for a pure utility cab. But it must be remembered, this is State complying with US domestic law - they have not (yet at least) been ordered. This is effectively saying that it is now possible under those US laws for Australia to place an order if it wants to. There have been numerous cases in the past where this stage has been reached only for the end capability that is acquired to actually be significantly different, either in numbers or equipment fit. A very good first indicator, though.

FoxtrotRomeo999

I wouldn't buy a dedicated ASW helicopter for transport use (the mh60s is built for this role). So maybe just an increase in ASW capability. But I don't know.

Redlands18

These are fully equipped multi mission cabs complete with ASW systems, which is more than would be required for a pure utility cab. But it must be remembered, this is State complying with US domestic law - they have not (yet at least) been ordered. This is effectively saying that it is now possible under those US laws for Australia to place an order if it wants to. There have been numerous cases in the past where this stage has been reached only for the end capability that is acquired to actually be significantly different, either in numbers or equipment fit. A very good first indicator, though.
There is something in the notice about investigating the possibility of fitting extra seating.

Stampede

A very good first indicator, absolutely!

Suggest we must of asked the question.

12 addition medium helicopters for the RAN is most impressive.
Given the current helicopter options the RAN have chosen the Romeo for a reason.......Good call

My take is that it still has the ASW function, so the question is how does it differ from our existing Romeo fleet to accommodate the logistic role?
The multi mission cab is interesting.

It looks like we are increasingly putting together task groups centered around a LHD.
IF ASW orientated, then 8 ASW helicopters plus 3/4 for logistics shared across the fleet looks about right.

A fleet of 36 helicopters should sustain such an effort.

Regards S

Stampede

LAND 8710 Phase1 to replace Armys olds LCM-8 is an opportunity.
My concern is they will get some in shore coastal craft that's too small to deploy beyond our shores and yet not sized to be compatible with the LHD's.
Navantias 25 Metre Craft has merit particularly as a future replacement for the in service LCM-1e.
However I feel Army want something bigger.
If so, go much bigger and do justice to the project.
Something along Austals Light Amphibious Warship design looks about right.
The LCH replacement vessel we never replaced and should of yonks ago.
Basic and agricultural has a place
The size of the vessel should in our medium sized defence force be a Navy ship.
Not sure Army will be happy with that outcome.

Regards S

Redlands18

LAND 8710 Phase1 to replace Armys olds LCM-8 is an opportunity.
My concern is they will get some in shore coastal craft that's too small to deploy beyond our shores and yet not sized to be compatible with the LHD's.
Navantias 25 Metre Craft has merit particularly as a future replacement for the in service LCM-1e.
However I feel Army want something bigger.
If so, go much bigger and do justice to the project.
Something along Austals Light Amphibious Warship design looks about right.
The LCH replacement vessel we never replaced and should of yonks ago.
Basic and agricultural has a place
The size of the vessel should in our medium sized defence force be a Navy ship.
Not sure Army will be happy with that outcome.

Regards S
Why not stick with the current plan of getting both? The Army needs a LCM size Vessel to get into places you simply won't get a LST but needs something that has better Seakeeping, Range, Endurance and Crew habitability then the LCM-8 offers. The LCM-8 replacement is probably more about Peacetime Trg, Spt, HADR, as well as Peace Keeping, low level conflicts then all out war.

hauritz

I kind of figured it would be the Romeo but I wasn't expecting it to have all the bells and whistles. It gives the RAN a few more options and the LHDs a useful secondary ASW capability.

A fleet of 36 helicopters should sustain such an effort.
Did they ever repair the helicopter that was damaged in a storm after its lashings broke?
I recall at the time some were saying it was a write-off.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do we need extra seats? If most of the need is resupply, etc. We have plenty of ways to move people.

If we have to move army, well army has lift.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I wouldn't buy a dedicated ASW helicopter for transport use (the mh60s is built for this role). So maybe just an increase in ASW capability. But I don't know.
Looks like they want the aircraft to be flexible and capable of conducting any role (ASW / ASuW / Utility) as needed, hence the comment about additional seating and increased survivability measures.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
The 2020 DSU has a project to replace the RAN fleet of MRH90 with an expanded fleet of support and logistics helicopters, with commonality with existing RAN helicopters, see the following ADBR article:

The obvious candidate for that role would be the MH-60S, but the S is now out of production, on the other hand MH-60R is still in production.

Obviously the R is more expensive than S, and primarily focused on ASW and surface warfare roles, but with removal of the ASW equipment (which can be swapped in and out) the cabin can be used for utility tasks, plus under slung cargo too.

The procurement of 8-10 or so MH-60R could provide the RAN with both a medium utility helicopter, and also an increased ASW capability and 100% commonality with the existing Romeo fleet too.

Food for thought?

Cheers,

Looks like my prediction from last Wednesday is about to come true.

I suggested ‘8-10 or so’ and it looks like the ‘or so’ is actually 12!

Cheers,

PS, I’ll have to give my trusty crystal ball another good rub and see what other predictions I can come up with! legend!!

Redlands18

Looks like they want the aircraft to be flexible and capable of conducting any role (ASW / ASuW / Utility) as needed, hence the comment about additional seating and increased survivability measures.
Not as if they are required to carry a Infantry Section with all their Gear, just a boarding party, at most.

Redlands18

Looks like my prediction from last Wednesday is about to come true.

I suggested ‘8-10 or so’ and it looks like the ‘or so’ is actually 12!

Cheers,

PS, I’ll have to give my trusty crystal ball another good rub and see what other predictions I can come up with! legend!!
Wasn't working on the 15th Sept, mind you we would have called the guys in White Coats to come and collect you if you had made that prediction.

Status
Not open for further replies.