Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redlands18

We are getting a very good ASW frigate but is it the best in the world.?
The Brits have a long history of determining that all their equipment is “the best in the world” (just like T45 ) and it really is hyperbole.
Whilst on exchange with the RN I have experienced “the best in the world” but believe me it wasn’t and I would have thought that the FI campaign would have dampened that hype.
Let’s just stick with “it’s a very capable frigate and rates highly (we hope, it hasn’t been to sea yet) against the competition.
Please excuse the bile but that term is very annoying.
Points taken, i will withdraw the best in world comment.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I had to choose between the UK Type 26 and the Australian Hunter class I would pick the Hunter, at this stage. It is certainly one of the largest ASW frigates. Combat and sensor and weapons seem to be towards the higher capability end of the spectrum on the Hunter.

However, not all of its competitors exist yet. I also agree the UK industry is subject to hyperbole.

I would say the sensor fit out on the OPV is quite impressive.

I also think those old sea giraffe should stay in storage. I would much rather see a mini-CEA mount fitted, you could probably find something a bit more suitable for the mast and bit more modern and capable. Something that might be able to be integrated very tightly with the 9lv and cea radars on the other ships. Bring some of the tech and concepts from the big ships modern radars onto the small ships. You would also have the same tech tree for ships and systems and training/upgrades/integration etc. I think CEA will have more luck in the OPV/Corvette market too.

Of course in the interests of better search and rescue capability, or something...

hauritz

If I had to choose between the UK Type 26 and the Australian Hunter class I would pick the Hunter, at this stage. It is certainly one of the largest ASW frigates. Combat and sensor and weapons seem to be towards the higher capability end of the spectrum on the Hunter.

However, not all of its competitors exist yet. I also agree the UK industry is subject to hyperbole.

I would say the sensor fit out on the OPV is quite impressive.

I also think those old sea giraffe should stay in storage. I would much rather see a mini-CEA mount fitted, you could probably find something a bit more suitable for the mast and bit more modern and capable. Something that might be able to be integrated very tightly with the 9lv and cea radars on the other ships. Bring some of the tech and concepts from the big ships modern radars onto the small ships. You would also have the same tech tree for ships and systems and training/upgrades/integration etc. I think CEA will have more luck in the OPV/Corvette market too.

Of course in the interests of better search and rescue capability, or something...
On the subject of Australia's new OPVs I noticed on the navy site that this ship seems to have had its role expanded to include Mine Warfare and Hydrographic Survey through the use two changeable, containerised mission systems.

Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) | Royal Australian Navy

Redlands18

And two more building.
There has been talk about how Australia will have the 2nd largest Aegis Fleet, i wouldn't put to much money on that. Both South Korea and Japan could match our numbers eventually especially if they need to build up BMD capabilities. Also Spain is due to have 10 in service by 2027

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
This class is set to enter service in 2021.
Has the class been named?
And are the names of the ships known yet?
MB
Not to my knowledge. However, once you know the one you know the other.

As for the expanded role (thanks Hauritz), this echoes the Rudd era white paper where a common class of hulls were to be produced in OCV, MCM and Hydro versions *and* the continuous ship building plan which suggests that the OPVs will be followed by other small ship classes - presumably the MCM and Hydro - which could well be on the same or evolved hull

oldsig

hauritz

Not to my knowledge. However, once you know the one you know the other.

As for the expanded role (thanks Hauritz), this echoes the Rudd era white paper where a common class of hulls were to be produced in OCV, MCM and Hydro versions *and* the continuous ship building plan which suggests that the OPVs will be followed by other small ship classes - presumably the MCM and Hydro - which could well be on the same or evolved hull

oldsig
Construction must be due to start shortly as well. When first steel is cut I imagine that there will be plenty of pollies in attendance, with Christopher Pyne front and centre. Possibly that will be when the names of the first ships will also be announced.

Redlands18

This class is set to enter service in 2021.
Has the class been named?
And are the names of the ships known yet?
MB
I am not even going to attempt to guess what the names will be after the Hunter class names which i would have put good money on being named the Melbourne Class. Isn't start of construction of the 1st one due pretty soon? my guess the naming may coinncide with that announcement. But naming announcements have been all over the place in recent years. The AORs well after construction started, the Hunters same time as the winner was announced, nothing yet on either the OPVs or Subs.

Milne Bay

Construction must be due to start shortly as well. When first steel is cut I imagine that there will be plenty of pollies in attendance, with Christopher Pyne front and centre. Possibly that will be when the names of the first ships will also be announced.
Probably.
The Hunter Class was named at the announcement of the successful design.
I wonder what the delay is for the OPVs
MB

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A former colleague was telling me the other day that OPV work hasn't had much, if any, impact in Adelaide yet. It's yet to kick off there in any major way, i.e. recruiting / transferring personnel, prepping build strategies etc. So it seems they still have a fair way to go.

Milne Bay

A former colleague was telling me the other day that OPV work hasn't had much, if any, impact in Adelaide yet. It's yet to kick off there in any major way, i.e. recruiting / transferring personnel, prepping build strategies etc. So it seems they still have a fair way to go.
They had better get their skates on if it's going to enter service in 2021.
Although it shouldn't prove as onerous a build because it is pretty much an unmodified design, going from now leaves only two years to get a fair bit done.
MB

hauritz

I am not even going to attempt to guess what the names will be after the Hunter class names which i would have put good money on being named the Melbourne Class. Isn't start of construction of the 1st one due pretty soon? my guess the naming may coinncide with that announcement. But naming announcements have been all over the place in recent years. The AORs well after construction started, the Hunters same time as the winner was announced, nothing yet on either the OPVs or Subs.
Melbourne class sounds more like a Capital ship name to me. I would go with the Bathurst class. This ship seems to share a lot of the characteristics of the WW2 corvette.

Redlands18

Considering recent Australian leadership spills maybe they should name them HMAS Rudd, Gillard, Abbott and Turnbull. The rest they can name after bush rangers ;)
For Gawd sake no, might give the XO the idea of overthrowing the CO with the Ship halfway to Fiji:D and the 2nd Officer overthrow the XO on the way back.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't imagine the OPV work in SA will need much, it's only being built their to soak up the workforce until the Frigates get going.
When it moves to WA I imagine it will mean big things there, with a new undercover yard and a new workforce.

I am still holding out for HMAS Bounty. Or at least HMAS Bligh. History is history, doesn't have to just be the shiny bits. Bligh had an extensive naval career, and was hell of a sailor by all accounts. Of course in the end all those mutineer descendants became Australians.

I wouldn't be surprised if Australia ends up with the 2nd largest Aegis fleet. Sure, Korea or Japan could spurt out more. But do they want to?

I am watching Japan very closely, I am surprised the Maya is just a class of 2.
Big ships. 169.8m long, 22.2m wide. Most consider the Sejong the Great ships the biggest version of the Burke design. But the Maya, is 4m longer and a meter beamier. Thats 15m longer than a US Burke flight II and 2.2m wider. No more weapons or aviation, but perhaps space for command etc? Maybe just bigger to compare to a type 55D? Bigger to fit different propulsion. Maybe more stores to be longer ranged.

Unlike other fleets, Australia seems quite happy for all of its surface combatants to be Aegis. The others built quite significant surface combat ships that are not aegis. That isn't a problem or a concern for us, which it may be for them.
Asahi-class destroyer - Wikipedia
Akizuki-class destroyer (2010) - Wikipedia

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Considering recent Australian leadership spills maybe they should name them HMAS Rudd, Gillard, Abbott and Turnbull. The rest they can name after bush rangers ;)
Sometimes I just wish there was a “don’t like” button, something akin to a vomit emoji

BPFP

I am watching Japan very closely, I am surprised the Maya is just a class of 2.
Big ships. 169.8m long, 22.2m wide. Most consider the Sejong the Great ships the biggest version of the Burke design. But the Maya, is 4m longer and a meter beamier. Thats 15m longer than a US Burke flight II and 2.2m wider. No more weapons or aviation, but perhaps space for command etc? Maybe just bigger to compare to a type 55D? Bigger to fit different propulsion. Maybe more stores to be longer ranged.
An impressive class for sure, but interestingly only hangar space for a single helicopter. Surprising given the size of ship and beam. Don't the latest ABs all have 2 helos?

Status
Not open for further replies.