Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Could someone explain the significance of the coin and the plate with what I presume are welded initials.
I understand that they used to put a coin under a ships mast when it was positioned, is this a modern interpretation?

Yep the plate is a bit of Tim Barret ego as far as I can tell

Joe Black

Yep the plate is a bit of Tim Barret ego as far as I can tell
VA Tim Barrett has done a lot of good work for RAN. Wouldn't be quick quite to say it was his ego to have his signature embossed on a plated and wielded onto the keel. I think Navantia just wanted to do something nice :)

Now come on DoD and RAN, where's the OPV news

SpazSinbad

VA Tim Barrett has done a lot of good work for RAN. Wouldn't be quick quite to say it was his ego to have his signature embossed on a plated and wielded onto the keel. I think Navantia just wanted to do something nice :) ...
It is a tradition dating back to at least the two LHDs - old CoN placed a coin (the golden rivet) or plaque or somesuch - fish heads/obs eh. :cool: :finger :D
"...in keeping with tradition, he [RAN Chief of Navy Vice-Admiral Russ Crane] placed a gold coin on the centreline dock block...." 22 Feb 2011 http://australianaviation.com.au/2011/02/lhd-hull-launches-in-spain/
Only know about it 'cuz "AVIATION" URL. :) Video Explaino for AWD 2014

http://video.defence.gov.au/play/3206#
OR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7GzppAz5tg

Last edited:

Oberon

VA Tim Barrett has done a lot of good work for RAN. Wouldn't be quick quite to say it was his ego to have his signature embossed on a plated and wielded onto the keel. I think Navantia just wanted to do something nice :)

Watch the PM and Defence ministers' schedules. Politicians love to be seen in hard hats and safety glasses in a factory or shipyard when decisions such as this are made!

Joe Black

Watch the PM and Defence ministers' schedules. Politicians love to be seen in hard hats and safety glasses in a factory or shipyard when decisions such as this are made!
Safety helmets and Hi Vis vests make good publicity.

Anyway, really wondering if RAN will go with an OPV with a hanger or not.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

I have a bit of a different view but I will leave it at that

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its going to be an interesting day.

Germans to build Aust patrol boat

News/AAP is reporting Lurrsen has won, but they are also talking about building them in Henderson, by Austal. Announcement expected today by the PM.

Not sure what to make of that.

The title makes it seem like they are building them in Germany.

weegee

Purely from a fan boy point of view i'm not happy haha Forgetting the practicality of all the designs in my personal opinion the Lurssen is ugliest of the trio.
Unless the Lurssen opv 85 was selected??? I could get on board with this one as it has a hanger.

Oh well what ever is to be selected should be a great step up in capability from what we have now so cant complain in that regard.

Ballistic

The Australian is stating that Austal won the bid while being teamed with Lurssen. But then goes on to state that the Fassmer design was picked (read it wrong - still half asleep - yeah looks like Austal and Lurssen have ditched their previous associations). So strange turn of events.

Pity, the Fassmer design was a good looking boat.

hauritz

Purely from a fan boy point of view i'm not happy haha Forgetting the practicality of all the designs in my personal opinion the Lurssen is ugliest of the trio.
Unless the Lurssen opv 85 was selected??? I could get on board with this one as it has a hanger.

Oh well what ever is to be selected should be a great step up in capability from what we have now so cant complain in that regard.
That would explain the delay in the announcement. Lurssen the preferred designer and Austal the preferred builder.

https://thewest.com.au/business/man...nner-in-patrol-vessels-contract-ng-b88669740z

I wonder if Civmec will get tossed a bone.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
First impressions, the PB drivers I've spoken to liked the Lurrsen, suggesting a professional desicion, while they have very little love for Austal, suggesting a political decision. My take, right boat, wrong builder and I predict (somewhat counterintuatively) the first two will be built to a much higher standard than the following batch.

pussertas

Technology to ‘Future Proof’ Australia’s Future Frigates

(Source: BAE Systems; issued Nov 23, 2017)

BAE Systems and the UK Government have committed to transfer cutting-edge technologies and design innovation that will ensure Australian industry can build one of the world’s most formidable and flexible warships to protect the nation’s borders and strategic assets.

If successful on SEA 5000, BAE Systems and the UK Government will transfer more than 500,000 ‘work years’ of world-class technical design to Australia, worth $1.5 billion, to support the national shipbuilding endeavour.

The transfer of data and the digital design of one of the world’s most sophisticated ships will support the development of a continuous naval ship building capability in Australia, ensuring that local industry can build the fleet of nine future frigates. It will also ensure they can be upgraded and supported during their decades of service.

The unprecedented transfer of intellectual property will also include all ship parts, materials, systems and sub systems used to build the Type 26 frigate. With this knowledge, Australian industry will gain the know-how needed to both build and optimise the ship over its life, potentially improving its stealth, flexibility and performance with bespoke local innovation and technology.

BAE Systems is proposing the Global Combat Ship-Australia (GCS-A) for its SEA 5000 bid to replace the Anzac class frigates. It is based on the Type 26 Global Combat Ship currently being manufactured in the UK for the Royal Navy.

The GCS-A will provide the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) with a world leading submarine hunting capability. This ship will also be an extremely capable multi-role combatant not just in undersea warfare but also across air and surface domains.

A large mission bay will also ensure the ship can meet future operational requirements such as humanitarian responses, and deployments of troops and future unmanned vehicles.

BAE Systems’ Glynn Phillips said: “The Global Combat Ship-Australia is a mature design that provides both stealth and flexibility to meet the future operational requirements of the Royal Australian Navy.

“The transfer of data and the development of the digital shipyard will be important in the development of an enduring industry that will employ generations of Australians

Rumor has it that Lurssen won the competition!

PatH

Lurssen Offering

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but what OPV was Lurssen Offering? 80,85 or 90?

I noticed that the OPV 80 lacks any hangar space, while both the 85 & 90 have it.

It would be nice to have the option of a hangar, or at least room for a Firescout to be embarked in the future as has been mentioned here numerous times.

They have a clip for the OPV80 on their website: Offshore Patrol Vessels Archive - Lürssen Defence | Lürssen Shipyard - german quality-shipbuilding for any interested.

I seem to recall issues about space in Darwin, potentially impacting the size of the ship? Would this rule out the 85 & 90?

Last edited:

hauritz

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but what OPV was Lurssen Offering? 80,85 or 90?

I noticed that the OPV 80 lacks any hangar space, while both the 85 & 90 have it.

It would be nice to have the option of a hangar, or at least room for a Firescout to be embarked in the future as has been mentioned here numerous times.

They have a clip for the OPV80 on their website: Offshore Patrol Vessels Archive - Lürssen Defence | Lürssen Shipyard - german quality-shipbuilding for any interested.

I seem to recall issues about space in Darwin, potentially impacting the size of the ship? Would this rule out the 85 & 90?
In the end the big hanger on the Fassmer design might have been its downfall.

I remember watching this video and thinking that this was an awfully big hanger for such a tiny looking UAV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQkzdRUdGkc

It would be hard to justify a large hanger if it was never set out as a requirement in the RFT.

weegee

Just out of curiosity why were NZ's Protector class never considered? I know they're not a brand new design now but Weren't they built here in what was Tenix? They seem to be around the right size, tonnage and have helo capabilities too?

What has been NZ's experience with them? are they not up to the job?

weegee

Interesting no mention on what model won? but considering they attached a movie of the OPV80 one would assume that's the model that got across the line.

Also very interesting they mention that Austal and Civmec will build in Henderson?

weegee

According to Mr Pynes twitter feed it states that the OPV will allow the RAN to undertake more extensive operations and protect resources over greater distances and in more complex maritime environments!

I wonder will we see the OPV armed with more than we thought they would be and also if they will wonder up to the South China Sea. or dare i say it up off the horn doing Pirate duties? I know that's probably asking way tooo much of these ships.

walter

As a "Dutchie" i'm sad,i would have love to have seen sea axes,but hey choices are made aperently.So the best has won.

Status
Not open for further replies.