Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates 2.0

hauritz

Interesting 60 Minutes (USA) story on the current state of the USN, including ship building and potential conflict in Taiwan.
After watching this it seems AUKUS is perhaps more important to the US than many might think. One problem the USN is bemoaning is the lack of shipbuilding yards compared to the Chinese. The US might be very reliant on its two AUKUS partners to help add to that ship building capacity. Effectively Australia getting SSNs adds an extra nuclear submarine building yard to the two available in the US and the one available in the UK.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
News reports this am that an RAN Taipan ditched near the beach in Jervis Bay.
Looked like an engine fail and must have auto rotated down, all 10 on board are fine
Idiot reporter on TV doesn’t know the difference between an engine or a rotor.
This is the latest news below

Redlands18

News reports this am that an RAN Taipan ditched near the beach in Jervis Bay.
Looked like an engine fail and must have auto rotated down, all 10 on board are fine
Idiot reporter on TV doesn’t know the difference between an engine or a rotor.
This is the latest news below
It was doing Counter Terrorism training so more likely to be a Holsworthy based SPECOPS Army machine. I thought the RAN had already retired their Taipans and they were in storage?
Edit
It is an Army one, it says Army on the side towards the rear.

Last edited:

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
It was doing Counter Terrorism training so more likely to be a Holsworthy based SPECOPS Army machine. I thought the RAN had already retired their Taipans and they were in storage?
Edit
It is an Army one, it says Army on the side towards the rear.
Confirmed by the Chief of Army:

But I guess the reporter presumed that as it was over water it must be navy!

Tas

hauritz

I haven't read of the replacement of the Hunter class halfway through their hull life can you direct me to this article please
No article, just maths. The build process is ongoing, As soon as the last Hunter is delivered they start work on replacing the Hobarts and so on. An 18 month build drumbeat means all twelve ships will be replaced after 18 years service. A two year drumbeat will see them last 24 years on average. Unless the government is planning to increase the size of the surface fleet, which may happen, it means it is unlikely that our future frigates and destroyers will be seeing 30+ years in service.

hauritz

They could of course but I suspect the real reason for the continual upgrading of the Anzac class is poor planning and procrastination. They didn't replace the Perth class when they should have, they didn't build enough Hobarts, the decision to replace the ANZACs probably came 5 years too late. Hopefully this is thing of the past. Hopefully.

StoresBasher

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The Navy handed back all their MRH90's to Army, 808SQN was decommissioned 2021/22, lets just say they weren't the most reliable platform.

SD67

Just had a look and properties in Barrow seem to run down to some fairly reasonable prices - I'm seeing 3 bed terraces for about 180K which is about £140 cheaper than my area for instance. Yes, the lakes, super expensive, bring a couple of million to guarantee satisfaction but BIF doesn't look half bad at a glance ?
Yeah the town itself is affordable, but isolated. It doesn't really show on a map but BIF is basically an island connected to the mainland by a couple of causeways, so you' need to be really sure your gig is long term. If you can land a place in the lake district happy days that's paradise

Mikeymike

No article, just maths. The build process is ongoing, As soon as the last Hunter is delivered they start work on replacing the Hobarts and so on. An 18 month build drumbeat means all twelve ships will be replaced after 18 years service. A two year drumbeat will see them last 24 years on average. Unless the government is planning to increase the size of the surface fleet, which may happen, it means it is unlikely that our future frigates and destroyers will be seeing 30+ years in service.
I believe the whole point of the continuous build being set at a two year drumboat (24 year life) was so that the navy didn't have to spend money on costly midlife upgrades?

If I remember correctly the shipyard can build them faster with 16 being the most efficient and it is currently slowed to hit the continuous build requirement. If the government decides to eventually expand above 12 major fleet units suspect you would see the drumbeat quicken rather than extend the life of any the hunters.

AndyinOz

@DDG38 Definitely a great new campaign advertisement in my book, leveraging the idea of 'live a story worth telling' is a bit more of a mature approach than some of the previous campaigns. It is all well and good to try to attract people with the idea of fun and seeing the sights around the globe, but I think definitely from a marketing (and well they are marketing a career here) and psychological perspective. The idea of a life well lived and doing something worth remembering and sharing is a better way to go. Especially focusing on with the imagery the two more topical subjects in recent years, disaster response and big cylindrical things that go under the water. Here's hoping that it is successful.

Morgo

This outrageously expensive subs deal simply caters to the US. Again

I am, or perhaps more accurately was, a very big fan of Keating. The economic reforms he championed are the primary driver of the wealth we have today. But his repeated, logically incoherent attacks on AUKUS are wearing thin.

Yes Paul, SSNs are an enabler of a policy of forward defence. What's your point?

Yes Paul, our sea lanes overlap with China's. Hence why they might want to control them, and we need to be able to contest them.

Yes Paul, nuclear submarines are the best tools for the job.

Yes Paul, this links us even more inextricably with the US (like we weren't already). Who aside from sharing our values are also, it's becoming clear, going to remain the pre-eminent economic power for the foreseeable future.

Yes Paul, the Chinese have repeatedly threatened and attempted to coerce us, which to our great credit we have shown great resolve in resisting.

Honestly I don't know if he's lost his marbles, is on the take from the Chinese, or both.

Fortunately aside from a few back bench grumbles there are very few serious voices of dissent from the current parliament. The apparent bipartisanship in all three AUKUS nations bodes well for the longevity of the deal.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Here's a more level headed discussion on what has passed, why, and what is happening now.

Particularly relevant is the conclusion.

"Already cynics are loudly questioning whether Australia really can construct its own nuclear powered submarines.

One wonders at the motivations of people, mostly without any relevant background or knowledge, who so easily second guess the experts.

The track record suggests Australia can, and will construct our own nuclear fleet, given time and goodwill."

Jason_DBF

Probably one of the best RAN recruitment ads I've seen in a very long time. Smart to be leveraging recent HADR efforts for the bushfires as well.
I think the Submarine add could have been done alot better.
The incorrect terminology and submarine routines used throughout the add is terrible. Being a submariner these points stand out to me.

Scott Elaurant

The incorrect terminology and submarine routines used throughout the add is terrible. Being a submariner these points stand out to me.
I don’t know the service details but to an outsider this is a positive, well constructed ad.

With the RAN now moving towards large SSNs with individual bunks, I was wondering about another issue - female submariners? They are a feature of quite a few NATO navies now. Since their move to individual bunks and crew compartments on their latest generation of SSNs the RN, USN and French MN have all followed suit. Is the RAN considering this? This would obviously increase the pool of potential recruits.

It would obviously be a big cultural shift for the current SSK crews. Yet those who gain experience joint crewing on RN and USN SSNs are about to encounter female SSN officers and sailors anyway. If the RAN is going to make this shift, SSN crews is probably the right time.

Redlands18

I don’t know the service details but to an outsider this is a positive, well constructed ad.

With the RAN now moving towards large SSNs with individual bunks, I was wondering about another issue - female submariners? They are a feature of quite a few NATO navies now. Since their move to individual bunks and crew compartments on their latest generation of SSNs the RN, USN and French MN have all followed suit. Is the RAN considering this? This would obviously increase the pool of potential recruits.

It would obviously be a big cultural shift for the current SSK crews. Yet those who gain experience joint crewing on RN and USN SSNs are about to encounter female SSN officers and sailors anyway. If the RAN is going to make this shift, SSN crews is probably the right time.
Taking a deeper look at the Navy on HMAS Collins - ABC (none) - Australian Broadcasting Corporation
RAN Submarines are mixed crew and have been for 20 odd years, and I am pretty sure everyone has their own bunk in the Collins class. The Virginia class has a crew of 135 (USN) on a 115m, 8,000t Sub, Collins class has a crew of 58 on a 77m, 3500t Sub, so crew space works out roughly similar. The future SSN-AUKUS which is going to be somewhat larger than the Astute class may see improved crew space and the UK was able to significantly reduce crew size in the Astutes v Trafalgars, 97 v 130, will be interesting to see if they get the crew size down further.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Probably would stand out, but the add is not for either serving or ex members, it is for recruiting ! It is about sparking the dream, not being technically correct.
I joined because I would be "The pride of the fleet" ;)

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

The RAN has had female submariners for well over a decade, and likely will have their first female submarine commander before the end of the year.

I think many would be surprised at how well women have been doing in the ADF, and how much they have done to improve things for everyone.