Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates 2.0

Pusser01

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Some news from Henderson, Parramatta came out of the water on Tuesday to start her AMCAP. Sirius has been reduced down to the main deck with more to come off. The sorry story of the Otama is soon to start it's last chapter, she's now on the hardstand awaiting her turn for the scrappers torch. Cheers

Attachments

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Some news from Henderson, Parramatta came out of the water on Tuesday to start her AMCAP. Sirius has been reduced down to the main deck with more to come off. The sorry story of the Otama is soon to start it's last chapter, she's now on the hardstand awaiting her turn for the scrappers torch. Cheers
It is a pity about Otama. Last Oberon built and one of two Super 22's. I feel sorry for the folk that tried to save her and set up a museam.

Milne Bay

What is happening to Sirius?
Is she to be scrapped or converted?
MB

Going Boeing

It is a pity about Otama. Last Oberon built and one of two Super 22's. I feel sorry for the folk that tried to save her and set up a museam.
Orion & Otama, being the last 2 Oberon’s delivered to the RAN (some years after the first four), had slightly larger diameter torpedo tubes (I believe it was only about 3mm) which necessitated additional Mk48 torpedo launch trials after the first 4 boats were cleared.

Otama also had the more capable ESM system so it was always in demand for tasking.

Jason_DBF

Orion & Otama, being the last 2 Oberon’s delivered to the RAN (some years after the first four), had slightly larger diameter torpedo tubes (I believe it was only about 3mm) which necessitated additional Mk48 torpedo launch trials after the first 4 boats were cleared.

Otama also had the more capable ESM system so it was always in demand for tasking.
HMAS Orion was my first submarine it had its radar mast removed like Otama. The mast were replaced with a dedicated ESM mast hence the improvement in ESM capability.
Orion and Otama also had American comms mast fitted.

Attachments

Last edited:

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
HMAS Orion was my first submarine it had its radar mast removed like Otama. The mast were replaced with a dedicated ESM mast hence the improvement in ESM capability.
Orion and Otama also had American comms mast fitted.
My experiance on Otama was that the 'special' mast only replaced the radar mast when tasked. Otama came out of SWUP with the standard fit but it was changed when the vessel was tasked.

There was a replacement radar carried but it had to be carried to the bridge and mounted on a tripod arrangment (which also had to be carried to the bridge) which meant is was of very limited utility as it was only operational when the boat was on the surface.

There were other bits and bobs added as well. The floating wire antenna (particularly in calm seas) was my least favorite of those.

Jason_DBF

My experiance on Otama was that the 'special' mast only replaced the radar mast when tasked. Otama came out of SWUP with the standard fit but it was changed when the vessel was tasked.

There was a replacement radar carried but it had to be carried to the bridge and mounted on a tripod arrangment (which also had to be carried to the bridge) which meant is was of very limited utility as it was only operational when the boat was on the surface.

There were other bits and bobs added as well. The floating wire antenna (particularly in calm seas) was my least favorite of those.
My time on oboats was towards the end of there service and can definitely say Orion and Otama had the radar mast removed and replaced with the extra esm mast.
A dedicated radar mast is a waste of time on a submarine.

The portable radar carried was just a standard furono style fishing boat radar with the display on the chart table really only used for harbour stations or special sea duty man.
It certainly wasn't an enjoyable task deploying the BWA.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Any idea on when TRANSCAP kicks off for the ANZAC’s?

Any more scuttlebutt on their potential load-out given PM’s ‘where are all the missiles‘ rhetorical question today?

Pusser01

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Any idea on when TRANSCAP kicks off for the ANZAC’s?

Any more scuttlebutt on their potential load-out given PM’s ‘where are all the missiles‘ rhetorical question today?
Anzac comes out of the water around Oct '23 to be the first ship to start TRANSCAP. No more info regarding a possible increase in VLS cells. It is looking more likely that Anzac & Arunta won't get the new sonar fit that the rest of the class should. Cheers.

Going Boeing

Anzac comes out of the water around Oct '23 to be the first ship to start TRANSCAP. No more info regarding a possible increase in VLS cells. It is looking more likely that Anzac & Arunta won't get the new sonar fit that the rest of the class should. Cheers.
Is that because the new sonar won’t be available in time for the scheduled maintenance cycles of Anzac & Arunta?

Milne Bay

Is that because the new sonar won’t be available in time for the scheduled maintenance cycles of Anzac & Arunta?
There has been towed sonar in the RAN for around 30 years.
It's hard to believe that there wouldn't be one available for these two ships.
Puzzled?
MB

Going Boeing

Puzzled?
MB
IIRC, early in its service life, HMAS ANZAC had its stern section strengthened and was fitted with a Karriwarra towed array, for around 3 years, which reportedly worked very well. Subsequently, it was removed, apparently due to the decreased ASW threat.

It doesn’t make sense due to the increased logistics, training etc but, as there were two Karriwarra systems purchased, could they be planning to refit this system to Anzac & Arunta? Arunta would require the hull strengthening that Anzac already has. Apologies to the Mods for speculatin!

ddxx

I know there’s reasoning for and against this kind of change, but I’ve often wondered if replacing the Anzac’s 127mm with a 57mm MCG would make sense.

It would certainly free up some substantial weight which may allow more pressing items to be fitted. Such as a CIWS etc.

Pusser01

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Puzzled?
MB
Outside of the Kariwarra trials on Anzac, there hadn't been a towed array system in the RAN surface fleet for a few years. As part of the FFG-UP, the FFG's were fitted with the Albatross towed array, but it was mainly aimed at early torpedo detection. The Anzacs all had the space & weight for a towed array when commissioned. The space is still available, small matter about the weight. The initial plan for the new sonar & towed array for the TRANSCAP, was that they would be fitted out with the same kit that is going onto the Hunters. I'm guessing that maybe the 2 kits may not be available in time for Anzac & Arunta.

seaspear

This article suggests that the R.A.N will be looking to Sweden for assistance for life extensions on the Collins class because of the Swedes experience with the Gotland class
Australia looks to Sweden for subs help (msn.com)
There was extensive work done to the Gotland class and perhaps better informed members here may have suggestions on what may be practical for the Collins class for a life extension/update
There's a Reason the Gotland-Class Submarines Are the Pride of the Swedish Navy | The National Interest