Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates 2.0

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
A sound economy is an important consideration for national defence. Debt is ok if there is a realistic probability it will be paid back. Most sovereign debt is so large for many countries that payment is only possible by printing money and inflating the problem away. Borrowing from China is a trap and China itself has some serious issues down the road.

hauritz

Also this debt will be incurred over an extremely long time frame. The budget for this program is actually the project cost which includes pretty much all the associated costs that will be incurred over the life of the submarine. These boats could serve until well into the 2070s.

Aardvark144

All the more reason he should have put the National Interest first and kept his mouth shut.

It was not only inappropriate but incredibly reckless for him to make such statements publicly so soon after being in the role of Defence Minister.
Hardly think he would have been stupid enough blab some highly sensitive info. Funny how US sources were not exactly denying what he was saying at that time.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
All the more reason he should have put the National Interest first and kept his mouth shut.

It was not only inappropriate but incredibly reckless for him to make such statements publicly so soon after being in the role of Defence Minister.
Hardly think he would have been stupid enough blab some highly sensitive info. Funny how US sources were not exactly denying what he was saying at that time.
Be careful where you go with this because it has the potential to lead into politics and that makes Moderators twitchy.

Not aimed at anyone in particular. You guys are getting back into the trap of the circular arguments based upon pure speculation and supposition. What do we know?
  • The Australia will operate SSNs.
  • The type and quantity are at present unknown although 12 has been mentioned.
  • Australia will partner with the UK & US in this program.
  • An announcement is due March 2023, if not earlier.
That's all we know for certain. Until that OFFICIAL announcement is made everything is pure speculation and that's all. It is not based on fact. For all we know the writers could have consulted auguries such as sheep entrails, or astrology. The people that do know are keeping their mouths firmly shut and are not leaking especially to media.

Last edited:

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Master of Ceremonies, Gary Watson, addresses the audience at the OPV 5 keel laying ceremony in Henderson, Western Australia as staff watch on. Image Source : ADF Image Library
View attachment 49688
And yet again I will express my complete dismay about the lack of information on the progress of this project. Build a community hall and you will often find a web site that details progress in minute detail. All throught the DDG project, and the AOR's and now the OPV the paucity of information was notable. This is quite irritating to those who have an active interest in this projects.

Stampede

And yet again I will express my complete dismay about the lack of information on the progress of this project. Build a community hall and you will often find a web site that details progress in minute detail. All throught the DDG project, and the AOR's and now the OPV the paucity of information was notable. This is quite irritating to those who have an active interest in this projects.
Agree
Potentially up-to twenty vessels supporting patrol, survey and MCM.
This is a big project with construction in two states and generally supported by both sides of federal politics.
The project is seemingly tracking fairly well and one would think it would be a good ambassador for defence on many levels.

Not asking for high end security stuff, just some more informative updates and some pics.

Public benefit would out weight the small investment in time to convey such information.

Frustrated. S

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Agree
Potentially up-to twenty vessels supporting patrol, survey and MCM.
This is a big project with construction in two states and generally supported by both sides of federal politics.
The project is seemingly tracking fairly well and one would think it would be a good ambassador for defence on many levels.

Not asking for high end security stuff, just some more informative updates and some pics.

Public benefit would out weight the small investment in time to convey such information.

Frustrated. S
It flies in the face of the rhetoric that Australians can't build things. The media and most politicians are only interested in bad news.

Good news is seen as a transitory thing before an opportunity to hammer local capability arises.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Spanish are back with a whole delegation, including navantia, admiral from their navy and their trade minister.

I hate how they (media) rubbish the hunters. Again does the media expect Australia to overtake the uk type 26 program? But it would be good to commit to the next 3 Hunters.

Spain's still has 3 build plans and belives all 3 ships can be built by 2030.

I suspect they may need to pull resources from their frigate program, and I find it interesting the navy admiral has turned up, there may be some discussion around crewing and training.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The Spanish are back with a whole delegation, including navantia, admiral from their navy and their trade minister.

I hate how they (media) rubbish the hunters. Again does the media expect Australia to overtake the uk type 26 program? But it would be good to commit to the next 3 Hunters.

I suspect they may need to pull resources from their frigate program, and I find it interesting the navy admiral has turned up, there may be some discussion around crewing and training.
Following the GFC Spain gutted their defence forces and associated industries, to rebuild they are prepared to delay and do without in exchange for getting others to pay for the rebuilding.

Here's the thing, we killed much of our own industry because it wasn't "efficient" or "value for money" to support it. Now, many of the very same people and groups who said this are pushing to spend tax payers money on propping up, subsidising and expanding the sovereign infrastructure and industrial capability of other nations to deliver the capability they chose not to support here.

It is not hard to keep continually building and maintaining ships and submarines, the key is, you do actually need to keep doing it. If we had active lines in Australia other nations would be asking us to fit their needs in, not the other way around.

Oh another point, anyone tried to buy a new car lately? We used to build them here, but now we wait for twelve months for them to come from overseas and pay top dollar. Same thing, same narrow minded cause.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

I do love a good paywalled article. But not enough to fund that or any of the opposition rags.

Even if it means giving the wankers free hits at whatever their target for today might be.

oldsig

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do love a good paywalled article. But not enough to fund that or any of the opposition rags.
You are not missing much other than unfounded hunter bashing. The Australian stories are free for the first few hours after being published.

The Spanish aren't pushing more Hobart's as hunter replacements. It's landstrike, airdefence focus. There is a cool headed discussion that 3 destroyers aren't enough and never were.

Spain built 5, now it's building 5 different, lighter armed aegis frigates.
Oh another point, anyone tried to buy a new car lately
It's not just cars. It's pretty much everything. Low inventories, ongoing disruptions.

Northern hemisphere has a water and power issues. Its pretty chaotic. There is a decoupling happening. 2030 is very hard to see in any crystal ball.

It flies in the face of the rhetoric that Australians can't build things. The media and most politicians are only interested in bad news.

Good news is seen as a transitory thing before an opportunity to hammer local capability arises.
I don’t think there is rhetoric that Australian’s can’t build things, it’s just that Australian’s are not able to build things price competitively on the whole. Australia is more interested in tradies than engineers.
I also don’t see that media and politicians are interested in bad news; that is a conservative talking point. If there is a story, or a public interest, both are going to peruse it. Politicians and the media both have a remit that requires problems to be illuminated and addressed.
Unfortunately a good news military ship building story is not news. It is what the public expect for their money. On time, on budget and delivering what was paid for.

76mmGuns

I can't wait til 20 Lurssen's get built by 2030. I hope there's a group photo of all 20 sailing. They look very robust and solid, so seeing 20 x 1600 tons of ship will be an impressive view.

Redlands18

I can't wait til 20 Lurssen's get built by 2030. I hope there's a group photo of all 20 sailing. They look very robust and solid, so seeing 20 x 1600 tons of ship will be an impressive view.
No chance, the OPVs which are the only confirmed orders at this stage will probably be split between Darwin and Cairns for Home basing. The others, numbers yet to be confirmed are planned as replacements for the Huon class and will probably be based at either Fleet Base East or maybe the new base to be built for the Subs. Between patrols, deployments, trg and Maintenance the entire class would never be within 2000km of each other.

76mmGuns

No chance, the OPVs which are the only confirmed orders at this stage will probably be split between Darwin and Cairns for Home basing. The others, numbers yet to be confirmed are planned as replacements for the Huon class and will probably be based at either Fleet Base East or maybe the new base to be built for the Subs. Between patrols, deployments, trg and Maintenance the entire class would never be within 2000km of each other.
Sure mate, just go and crush my dreams.

From this day forth, thou shall be knowneth as Redlands, Crusher of Dreams, First of His Name.

;)

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Sure mate, just go and crush my dreams.

From this day forth, thou shall be knowneth as Redlands, Crusher of Dreams, First of His Name.

;)
Redland the Wise speaks well.

Preceptor will not be impressed with you usurping one of his many titles. He's very touchy about things like that. Comes from his ill spent youth and even the Devil has a permanent ban out on him, banning him from Hell for all of eternity because he gives the devil nightmares.