Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates 2.0

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Both already in use...

Oldsig.
As an ex-submariner I think there is a lot to be said for picking up the "o" names. These have history with two Oxley's and Otways's having been in service (these were the "O" class submarines purchased in the interwar years). There is a lot of tradition in this including the "Omerang" still carried on the Collins Class.

HMAS Oxley (I) | Royal Australian Navy

So Oxley, Otway, Onslow, Ovens, Otama and Orion ................ pick another relevant O for the last two. I personly like two of the RN names in Onslaught and Opportune .... quite fitting for the current environment.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
As an ex-submariner I think there is a lot to be said for picking up the "o" names. These have history with two Oxley's and Otways's having been in service (these were the "O" class submarines purchased in the interwar years). There is a lot of tradition in this including the "Omerang" still carried on the Collins Class.

So Oxley, Otway, Onslow, Ovens, Otama and Orion ................ pick another relevant O for the last two. I personly like two of the RN names in Onslaught and Opportune .... quite fitting for the current environment.
Orgasm?

John Newman

The Bunker Group

Speaking of RN ‘O’ boats, I’d also suggest HMS Odin, from memory, she operated in Australia for a number of years from about 1972 to 1975.

That would be a good name too.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Speaking of RN ‘O’ boats, I’d also suggest HMS Odin, from memory, she operated in Australia for a number of years from about 1972 to 1975.

That would be a good name too.
What about the indigenous names for saltwater crocs? Think that would be quite apt for a SSN. Even great whites think twice about salties. With the many different indigenous languages would would get enough names. Besides it would be entertaining enough just hearing the Yanks and Poms trying to get their tongues around the names :D

John Newman

The Bunker Group
What about the indigenous names for saltwater crocs? Think that would be quite apt for a SSN. Even great whites think twice about salties. With the many different indigenous languages would would get enough names. Besides it would be entertaining enough just hearing the Yanks and Poms trying to get their tongues around the names :D
I don’t have a problem with an indigenous name, as long as it’s suitable and appropriate.

But not just for the sake of being political correct, which there is far too much of these days.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I don’t have a problem with an indigenous name, as long as it’s suitable and appropriate.

But not just for the sake of being political correct, which there is far too much of these days.
It's nothing about being PC which I abhor. It's just something different that's all, and does reflect something uniquely Australian rather than Pomland.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Definitely Onslaught, spent a 3 week exercise in her in 1969 while on FESR

John Newman

The Bunker Group
It's nothing about being PC which I abhor. It's just something different that's all, and does reflect something uniquely Australian rather than Pomland.
One of the RAN ‘O’ boats had an indigenous name, HMAS Otama.

The boat’s name comes from a North Queensland Aboriginal word meaning dolphin, reuse that name, box ticked.

And anyway, what’s wrong with a ‘Pomland’ name as you call it? The name Odin is from Norse mythology, not specifically pommy.

Everyone keeps trying to rewrite modern Australian history, that is PC.

And if we want to be accurate with the proper meaning of the word ‘indigenous’, then its being misused regarding Aboriginal Australians, they didn’t pop up out of the ground like mushrooms, they were in fact the first immigrants, the first boat people to this ‘vacant’ land, my ancestors came by boat too, about 200 years ago.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Just curious.
I watched RN Sailors manning the Queens Gun Carriage coffin and was surprised to see that there were no creases in their blue collars.
Has the RAN also ditched the creases and if so when?

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hmm. It'd be bloody hard for 90% of Australians to pronounce them. Even with the loosest possible definition of aboriginality (and TSI indigenes) the population is nowhere near the comparatively more even distribution of Maori and Pakeha.

Hell, some of the names would stretch the length of a small sub and be difficult for even other indigenous to say, spell or understand!

Not against the idea in principle but wouldn't think I'd have much fun laughing at others with the same affliction I had!

oldsig

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Just curious.
I watched RN Sailors manning the Queens Gun Carriage coffin and was surprised to see that there were no creases in their blue collars.
Has the RAN also ditched the creases and if so when?
Gawd that's heresy not having creases in you blue jean collar. They had creases in them to help with the folding when you stowed them away in your locker etc. Same with the two vertical creases in the old AWD shirt.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Hmm. It'd be bloody hard for 90% of Australians to pronounce them. Even with the loosest possible definition of aboriginality (and TSI indigenes) the population is nowhere near the comparatively more even distribution of Maori and Pakeha.

Hell, some of the names would stretch the length of a small sub and be difficult for even other indigenous to say, spell or understand!

Not against the idea in principle but wouldn't think I'd have much fun laughing at others with the same affliction I had!

oldsig
Ah there is that. With te reo Maori we just have dialects to worry about and some of our names can be a tad long too. Some of the chiefs in the old days worked on the principle of why have a short easy name when you can have a multi word long winded name that is a real tongue twister and involves strangling the tonsils.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
You sure you weren't a sailor and a stoker or a greenie to boot? Only stokers or greenies would come up with a suggestion like that :p :p
Worked with a few over the years, it must have rubbed off. I'm more a stand in pretend MEO but without the sexy uniform or the sea time.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Lots of different dialects, probably a lot of cool names with appropriate meanings. Names for fish, sharks, maritime weather. If my dear old mum was alive, she could have told me some, she picked up a lot of the local languages through nursing in the northern areas for years.

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I can't find the reference, but the prototyping blocks ("Practice sections") have been progressing well, and some are so good that they will be used as production blocks in one or more of the Hunters.
So in a kind of a way steel has been cut on a Hunter...........
MB

I'm sure that I'd seen that the 1st block is simply a 'technology demonstrator' & tool to gain knowledge & experience from, due to the fact that it incorporates NO HUNTER Design Changes.

Follow on units will be built, again to add knowledge & experience, but won't be added into a HUNTER hull, until the construction of ship #2 or #3...

Construction of Australia’s Hunter-class frigates hits important milestone