Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Couple of bits of good news for the RAF

Under the programme known as Retrofit 2, 43 Royal Air Force Typhoon aircraft have been upgraded to the Tranche 1 Block 5 standard.

This includes installation of the forward looking infra-red (FLIR) system, enhancement of air-to-air capability, the introduction of an air-to-surface capability and the ability to use the laser designator pod for precision weapon delivery.

Martin Taylor, BAE Systems’ Combat Air Support Director said: “This upgrade programme gives the Royal Air Force Typhoon fleet an improved baseline capability, making it better than it has ever been before. This improved capability will also allow the Royal Air Force greater scope for how they manage the Typhoon fleet.”
BAE Completes Upgrade of RAF Eurofighter Typhoons | Aviation & Air Force News at DefenceTalk

The Meteor Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile has been successfully launched from a Eurofighter Typhoon as part of the Future Enhancements Flight Test Programme.

The missile was eject-launched from a rear fuselage missile station, which on Eurofighter Typhoon is semi-conformal for aircraft drag and radar signature reduction. The missile motor was fired, providing data that will allow the missile launch envelope to be expanded.

This builds on an earlier series of flight trials, carried out by partner company BAE Systems on behalf of the Eurofighter programme, where unpowered missiles were used to demonstrate safe separation on the missile.

This current package of work begins the full integration of the Meteor missile with all Eurofighter Typhoon systems.
First Eurofighter Typhoon Meteor Firing Trial A Success | Aviation & Air Force News at DefenceTalk

Can't wait for Meteor to come into service for the UK, everything I read about it can't seem to big it up enough.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same here - faster it shows up, the better. I'm wondering if the Tranche 1's will be adapted for Meteor (can't remember what the snag was but apparently they won't interface with 'em)

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 17 Dec 2012 (pt 0005)

Mr Jim Murphy: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence pursuant to the statement of 14 May 2012, Official Report, columns 261-4, on defence budget and transformation, what Intelligence, Surveillance, Target Acquisition, and Reconnaissance capabilities are part of the Core Equipment Programme. [132900]

Mr Dunne
: Intelligence, Surveillance, Target Acquisition, and Reconnaissance (ISTAR) in the Core Equipment Programme consists of current in-service capabilities plus the following equipment programmes and their support costs for which funding is allocated:

• Airseeker—Airborne signals intelligence
  • Crowsnest—Airborne maritime surveillance and control
  • Scavenger—Future armed operational unmanned air system (UAS)
  • Seaseeker—Maritime electronic surveillance
  • Seer—Tactical electronic surveillance deployed on land
  • Sentinel—Airborne wide area surveillance
  • Sentry—Air command and control and situational awareness
  • Solomon—A programme to improve the coordination and dissemination of ISTAR
  • Watchkeeper—Tactical UAS
Now it appears that Sentinel is now a part of the Core Equipment Program, would it be correct to assume that the idea of withdrawing the aircraft post Afghanistan has now been thrown out?

I'll take out the statements directly about the RAF in regards to what is included in the core budget.

Mr Dunne: The airlift capabilities in the Core Equipment Programme consist of current in-service capabilities plus the following equipment programmes and their support costs for which funding is allocated:

• A330 Voyager
  • A400M Atlas
  • BAE 146 Quick Change

Mr Dunne: The helicopter capabilities in the Core Equipment Programme consist of current in-service capabilities plus the following equipment programmes and their support and training costs:

• Chinook Mk6 New Buy
  • Apache Capability Sustainment Programme
  • Merlin Capability Sustainment Programme
  • Puma Life Extension Programme
  • Falkland Island Search and Rescue and Support Helicopter

Mr Dunne: The fast jet capabilities in the Core Equipment Programme consist of current in-service capabilities plus the following equipment programmes and their support and training costs for which funding is allocated:

• Typhoon Tranche 3
  • F35-B Joint Strike Fighter (Lightning II)
  • Typhoon Future Capability Package 1
  • Typhoon Future Capability Package 2

Last edited:

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
About bloomin' time, hopefully they don't postpone it again . . .

British stealth drone to undergo first test flight - Telegraph

The drone, which is named Taranis after the Celtic god of thunder, has been designed to fly intercontinental missions to attack targets and can automatically dodge incoming missiles.

The aircraft, which has cost £125 million to build [i've heard £143mn from other sources?] , is intended to be the first of a new generation of aeroplanes that will reduce the need to risk human lives on long, dangerous missions.

It is to be flown for the first time in a series of tests over the Australian outback in the spring in an attempt to demonstrate the technology to military chiefs.
This is what I see morphing into the old FOAS requirement for the RAF. Can't wait for a bit more news when this eventually happens, hopefully then a bit more info will come out like payload.

swerve

Super Moderator
I expect the final version to be bigger. Isn't Taranis reckoned to be powered by a single unreheated Adour? BAe says about the size of a Hawk.

About the cost: from the BAe fact sheet -

The joint funded contract was placed in December 2006. Originally valued at £124.5M, the contract has been uplifted under separate approvals to £142.5M

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad to have the costing cleared up :)

AFAIK it is a single Adour, IIRC Dassault's nEUROn used the same engine but i'm fairly sure it's been chucked out for something based on the more powerful M88. So then would it be possible for something like the EJ2000 to be shoehorned in to Taranis?

IIRC the current plan is just concept demonstrator and giving the MOD/BAE all the relevant data for these current ops. So chances are it would be be bigger.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Taranis is about the size of a Hawk and is mean to be high subsonic, then the Adour engine will be fine. It depends if Taranis is meant to go supersonic - if not, then adding an EJ200 or similar would be a bit superfluous I expect. Unless they left the augmenter out ?

Even so- that's a big chunk of change to spend on an engine.

swerve

Super Moderator
Adour is OK -

IF Son of Taranis is going to be the same size & IF we want to keep putting 1960s engines into newly designed airframes for decades to come. Adour has a poor thrust to weight ratio by current standards, a very poor T/W ratio compared to EJ200 or M88, & the higher T/W ratio of those newer engines carries no sfc penalty.

I've read that the French are looking at a non-afterburning M88 for Son of Neuron. I imagine that Son of Taranis would also remain subsonic, & use a non-afterburning engine.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some nice pictures tweeted by FlightAcesHigh (if you're on Twitter I recommend it) showing a A400M landing at RAF Brize Norton. Before anyone gets their hopes up, it's not ours. Ours aren't due to be coming until Sept 2014 apparently.

My understanding is that the RAF will - in the future - have an airlift component definitely including 8 C-17's & 22 A400M, but what's the plan with the C-130's?

AFAIK the plan is that the C130K's will be gone by the end of the year, leaving C-17/C130J so the A400M will effectively be phasing out the C-130J right?

If so, i'd like a couple more A400M's or another C-17. 8 C-17 & 22 A400M doesn't seem like a whole lot really, but i'm taking baby steps with the RAF so.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Some nice pictures tweeted by FlightAcesHigh (if you're on Twitter I recommend it) showing a A400M landing at RAF Brize Norton. Before anyone gets their hopes up, it's not ours. Ours aren't due to be coming until Sept 2014 apparently.

My understanding is that the RAF will - in the future - have an airlift component definitely including 8 C-17's & 22 A400M, but what's the plan with the C-130's?

AFAIK the plan is that the C130K's will be gone by the end of the year, leaving C-17/C130J so the A400M will effectively be phasing out the C-130J right?

If so, i'd like a couple more A400M's or another C-17. 8 C-17 & 22 A400M doesn't seem like a whole lot really, but i'm taking baby steps with the RAF so.
I am curious, would that leave a gap for a tactical airlifter of some sort? C27J, CN295 etc. or will the UK rely on helos to fill this requirement?

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
My own guess would've been an agreement, considering we're upping our complement of Chinooks up to 60 post-Afghan (or, the last order of 14 won't reach the RAF until then) so they will be playing a bigger role. But it's important to remember that the RAF does plan on using the A400M in a tactical transport context as well as a strategic airlifter. They do throw the terms around very freely on the A400M's profile on te RAF website but it specifically talks about how it'll also be used for transporting troops/equipment within theatre.

RAF - A400M

The RAF did buy 2 modified BAE 146 quick change transports "Acquired to help meet the UK's intra-theatre lift requirements inside Afghanistan".

Sounds cool and everything, but there's only 2 of them.

PICTURE: RAF takes delivery of BAe 146 C3 transports

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice bit of into tweeted out by the defence correspondant for the Sunday Times, which will be neat if confirmed.

The dambusters - 617 squadron- has been saved from the axe and will fly the RAF's first Joint Strike Fighters.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good step forward for the Typhoon towards getting towards a more substantial multi-role capability.

6 Squadron Take Paveway to Typhoon

6 Squadron, based at RAF Leuchars, have continued to develop the multi-role capability of Typhoon by dropping inert Paveway II bombs for the first time from the Tranche 2 version of the combat aircraft.

6 Sqn pilots embarked on a series of sorties over Cape Wrath Range last week to deliver this air to surface capability as part of ‘Combat Ready’ training. It is the first time that 6 Sqn has dropped a bomb since it was re-formed at RAF Leuchars in 2010 as a frontline Typhoon Squadron.

Officer Commanding 6 Squadron, Wing Commander Mike Baulkwill said:

“The successful delivery of Paveway II from a Tranche 2 Typhoon is another step forward in the development of the platform’s multi-role combat capability. The last time 6 Squadron as a whole conducted end-to-end, air to surface weapons training would have been when the Squadron was flying Jaguars, so this is a fitting return to bombing for the "Flying Can-Openers". Given the air defence role of the Station, I also suspect that it has been a long time since a Leuchars-based squadron has delivered a bomb.”

The Paveway II bombing runs were flown as part of an Operational Training Week that provides an opportunity for pilots to consolidate different phases of their multi-role training and for the Squadron as a whole to conduct readiness activity for contingent operations. The training week also enables Squadron engineers and support staff to undertake practice operations with weapons.

Senior Engineering Officer 6 Squadron, Squadron Leader Cameron Gibb explains:

“The addition of air to surface weapons activity augments the well rehearsed air to air training we do in support of Quick Reaction Alert. Working under a more operational focus for a week or two at a time puts everyone in the right frame of mind so that when called upon to go on operations pilots, engineers and operational support staff are always ready.”

Flight Lieutenant Oli Fleming, who as an Ex Tornado GR4 pilot has operational air to ground experience, was the first 6 Squadron pilot to drop a Paveway II. He commented:

“Dropping weapons from a Tranche 2 Typhoon is a good step forward for the Force providing a multi-role capability. From an operator’s perspective, it is impressive how easy the systems are to use enabling you to drop an accurate bomb that strikes the target in a short amount of time.”
Would rather it be a more crucial weapon as - IIRC - Paveway II can be deployed from Tranche 1 Typhoons, again, I think.

But this is the sort of progress we need for the RAF, with Tornado due to bow out in 2019 (March, I think) we're going to be having a big gap in capability. When the F35B gains IOC in the UK it'll have AMRAAM, ASRAAM and Paveway IV integrated on it, so when Tornado goes, based on the RAF's current armoury they will be missing the following if Tiffy doesn't get them

• Storm Shadow
  • Brimstone (2)
  • ALARM
  • Paveway III

Thankfully, however, we know that Storm Shadow and Brimstone are being pushed for integration with Typhoon and IIRC he first flight of a Typhoon with Storm Shadow is due later in the year with full integration sheduled for 2015/2016 with a similar timeframe for Brimstone 2.

There's been a bit of chatter about how the lack of an AShM on the Typhoon does impact on it's export chances, labelling countries like India which would require such a capability. IMO it's something which should be persued considering the MOD isn't currently planning on getting one for the F35 (well, not NSM anyway), as should some form of ARM for the F35, i'd even advocate buying AARGM OTS from the US considering how quiet MBDA is on the matter. Hell, IIRC the requirement for Typhoon was dropped so unless it's picked up then the F35 is our only platform for it.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting news coming out of Malaysia, apparently they want their next fast jet purchase to be maritime strike capable, resulting in models from BAE showing Harpoon integrated onto the Eurofighter.

Could be good for the UK, that's for sure, could then lead onto LRASM which is effectively Harpoon's replacement too.

EDIT: adding this Typhoon article, makes for good reading

http://media.aerosociety.com/aerospace-insight/2013/03/08/typhoon-the-best-is-yet-to-come/7851/

Last edited:

Haavarla

Are there any words on weapons system like Bahramos missiles?

I wonder if the next batch of Su-30MKM will be configurated/modified for such weapon system?

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
ALARM will be out of service by the time Tornado goes.
Oh wow, that's not nice to hear, considering Typhoon isn't going to get it and the F35B won't have it when it reaches IOC as things stand, that's a big gap.

Any word on what's replacing Alarm ?
There was the smallest of whispers about a version of Meteor being able to do it, apparently the Saudi's use ALARM on their Tornados so maybe they want to push it onto Typhoon too?

I dunno, nothing's being done about developing a solution. There's a lot to be said for buying HARM OTS for the F35B IMO, integration with the F35 is already on the cards and it'd be an effective force multiplier. F35B's conducting effective SEAD/DEAD allows us to bring our Typhoons into play, I keep thinking back to the MBDA graphic of SPEAR 3, there's a Typhoon loaded with 2 ASRAAM, 4 AMRAAM (Meteor in the future) & 16 SPEAR 3.

That's a world of pain right there.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hell of a capability, 4 per bay.

Anyway in other news, the first of the RAF's new Chinook Mk6s took to the skies in Arizona on March 15th - just announced by Boeing.

Boeing has revealed that the first flight of the newest CH-47 Chinook heavy-lift helicopter for the Royal Air Force (RAF) took place on 15 March at the Boeing helicopter facility near Philadelphia. The successful flight took place ahead of schedule and confirmed initial airworthiness for the Mk6 Chinook.

The Mk6 Chinook features advanced technology including UK-specific avionics, a forward-looking infrared system, and interoperable communication and navigation equipment. It is undergoing comprehensive testing in Mesa, Arizona in the US, before delivery to the UK later in 2013.

Capt. David Childs, Chinook team leader, UK Defence Equipment & Support, said: ‘This is a truly impressive achievement for both Boeing and the project team. To see the first aircraft fly less than 20 months after contract signature is a source of great pride for all those involved in this key project.’

The UK Ministry of Defence announced that it would purchase 14 new Mk6 Chinook aircraft in August 2011. The aircraft will join the RAF’s current Chinook fleet of 46 aircraft. The existing fleet is undergoing an upgrade programme as part of Project Julius to provide a new cockpit, upgraded engines, and a common configuration which will ensure coherence with the new Mk6 aircraft. The first upgraded Mk4 Chinook helicopters deployed to Afghanistan in late November 2012.
New RAF Mk6 Chinook completes first flight - News - Shephard

That's one shining light in the SDSR, all the talk about the UK not having enough of a rotary lift capacity in Afghanistan and we still get +14 Chinooks effectively post-Afghanistan.