Roleplay: African Army Buildup

Falstaff

Congratulations, you have just been assigned to a very interesting task! You are a senior defence analyst from "DT Defence Consultants" and you've been working in Asia and Africa for years.
And now your boss sent you to Africa to lead your company's yet most complex task.

Ebonia, a central African country situated at the east coast of the continent just has ended a decade long history of war. The country is rich in raw materials, there is oil, there are gemstones and several kinds of ore. The most important industry sector apart from that is agriculture. Many people live from fishing but fishing trawlers from Europe and China exploit your fishing grounds. After several wars there is not much industry left.
The country has a appr. 1600km (1000 miles) coastline to the Atlantic Ocean, in the north there is a vast steppe area, in the south there is a moderate climate with forest and rivers, in the middle there is rainforest.
The country is threatened by a collapsing islamic dictatorship in the north, 2 smaller but aggressive countries in the east that would like to benefit from your raw materials and by several insurgent and rebel groups within the country that have long forgotten what they are really fighting for apart from the wealth of their leaders.
Ebonia's leader is a former general who took over power 2 years ago from a corrupt regime that did nothing for the people. Since that day the country's economy has stabilized, the general has started a very ambitious infrastructure and reconstruction program. A working administration and judiciary system have been established. Exploiting the raw materials has created a very stable income for the country recently.
However, the changeful history of your country has left the armed forces in a devastated condition. That's where you come in: It is your task to rebuild the armed forces over a 5 year period with a budget that equals that of Switzerland (which is about 10% of Ebonia's GDP) with emphasis on fighting units.

After reconstruction, the armed forces should be able to perform the following tasks:
- defend your country from the aggressive and well armed neighbours in the north and east
- fight insurgents and rebels throughout the country
- fishery protection
- protect your raw material areas and trade routes
- secure your airspace
- control your borders
- to gain reputation take part in UN missions
- later perhaps be a stabilizing force for the whole of central africa
- SAR

Stupidly, most of your predecessors had shiny parades in mind when they bought equipment.
And this is what's left:

Army:
- 250 type 59 MBTs in poor condition
- 300 T-54/55 MBTs in poor condition
- 160 PT-76 amphibious tanks
- 80 type 62 light tanks in poor condition
- 320 BMP-1 of different variants
- 120 BRDM-2 (BTR-40) scout tanks
- 150 type 63 AFVs
- 100 D30 howitzers
- 75 type 86 anti tank guns
- 600 HJ-73 ATGMs
- 210 QW-2 manpads
- 30 SA-16 manpads
- several thousend trucks and off-road vehicles of chinese and russian origin, mostly old and worn out and in need of replacement
- you're troops are equipped with old AK-47 and G-3 assault rifles
- your ammunition stocks are very low

Airforce:
- 12 MIG-29A none flying condition
- 80 MIG-21 of various variants, 20 of which are in a flying condition
- 17 SU-22, 6 of which are in a flying condition
- 25 upgraded Mirage 5 received from Belgium in the 90's in good condition
- 45 J-7 fighters in various early variants
- 35 J-6 fighters, mothballed since the 90's
- 43 L-39 jet training aircraft, poor condition
- 24 Zlin aircraft for basic training, poor condition
- 30 Mi-8 helicopters in rather good condition
- 8 recently acquired Super Pumas
- 80 AN-2/Y-5 utility/ liaison aircraft
- 15 AN-26 transport planes
- 5 AN-12 Clubs, not flying
- 3 DC-3
- 5 Lear Jets for VIP transport
- your ammunition stocks are very low here as well

Navy:
- 1 Romeo class SSK, very bad condition, inoperable since the 80's
- 12 OSA-1 class FACs
- 10 Huangfeng-class FACs
- 30 type 62 (Shanghai-II class) patrol vessels in rather good condition
- 100 land based CSS-N-5 Sabot AShMs

Interestingly, due to several wars and military consultants from changing countries during the last decades you have a relatively well trained army.

You are not able to acquire equipment from the US, because the general annoyed them by socialization of the oil industry 18 months ago.
You have rather good relations to France although they won't sell you their newest equipment.
The general managed to build warming relations to South Africa. Secretly, Israel, Turkey and Pakistan have signalled they will help you with upgrades and training if neccessary.
China and Russia don't have any problem with supplying weapons to you.
However, the general would like to orientate his armed forces towards Europe for economical and historical reasons and as he hopes someday Ebonia will be a respected member of the international community.

And now it's your turn. What would you do?

A

Aussie Digger

Airforce, fixed wing and air defence:

Consolidate on the Mirage 5's and attempt to sell every other fighter type. Enter into a contract with Pakistan to refurbish and upgrade the existing Mirage 5's to ROSE III standard and form 1x large operational Squadron, (18x aircraft) plus a training unit as an initial priority.

Based on sales on some of these reasonable aircraft plus the budget, sufficient funds should exist to acquire sufficient Mirage 5's on the second hand market to equip a second Squadron. Seek PAF assistance to develop combat force into a complete ROSE-III configuration for commonality and efficiency reasons. (Maintain 2x operational qquadrons of 14x aircraft and 1x training unit equipped with 8x aircraft).

Use the sale of aircraft and whatever funds are available in the budget to quickly acquire an advanced lead in fighter aircraft. Czech L-159's would provide a relatively modern trainer that could be acquired quickly. Seek Czech military assistance.

Equip 2x Squadrons with the L-159 trainer and use it as a secondary combat aircraft, providing 4x fast jet squadrons to provide air defence and A2G attack capabilities. Given Pakistan's relationship with South Africa, integrating South African weapons (Darter A2A missiles) etc onto the ROSE-111 aircraft shouldn't be too hard and should provide reasonable capability. (Maintain 2x squadrons of 14x aircraft and 1x training unit with 16x aircraft).

Creating a training unit and equip it with prop driven aircraft. Ct-4 and PC-7 or similar should be adequate for basic flying needs.

Form an air defence Regiment and equip same with the SA-16 SAM's. Seek Russian technical assistance for operating the weapons. Scrap the other SAM's.

Acquire land based air surveillance radars and request assistance from Russia for radar operators, to create a basic air defence system, comprising the radars, a point defence SAM system and the fighters. Control the fighters with surface based GCI systems.

Sell 4x Lear Jets and seek an urgent maritime patrol aircraft and basic airlifter. Something cheap along the lines of a Shorts Skyvan or similar. Something with useful load characteristics, but good rough field operating capability. 10x aircraft required at least. 6x in airlifter configuration and 4x in maritime patrol/search and rescue configuration. Utilise 1x Lear jet for VIP missions.

Helicopters: Utilise the Mi-8 in the tactical transport role and form existing fleet numbers into 1x operational regiment (16x aircraft) and 1x training unit (14x aircraft). A number of the Mi-8's in the training unit could also be equipped with a fire support capability too, say 6x MI-8 "gunships" leaving 8x for training purposes. These could be equipped with rocket pods and guns to provide an interim capability.

Utilise 6x the Super Puma's to provide a special forces helo capability. Use 2x for VIP configuration (for transporting Government types and those Oil Magnates who will bring much needed hard currency into the Country).

Acquire a cheap second hand training and light utility helo capability. AS350 Squirrel's or similar. I believe Singapore has a number that might be suitable.

Army:

Scrap the majority of the tanks from frontline service. Retain about 140 T-55 tanks, (enough for 2x tank regiments and a training unit) but contract Israel to upgrade them to NATO standards with an upgrade project like this: (http://www.nimda.co.il/projects2.html). Utilise Israeli contractors and military trainers to instruct the Army.

Contract Israel to upgrade 160 T-55 tanks into "Achzarit" "heavy" APC's. This should suffice to equip 2x battalions.

Upgrade the BMP-1's under a similar Israeli upgrade program to NATO standards. 320 vehicles should be sufficient to equip 4x battalions, thus creating 2x mechanised brigades as the primary maneuvre units of the new Army, with 1x "Achzarit" battalion, 2x BMP-1 UP Battalions and 1x tank regiment per brigade.

Upgrade the D30 122mm Howitzers and arm them with the IMI M85 122mm artillery ammunition range. Again seek Israeli technical assistance.

Form 2x artillery Regiments each with 18x D30 guns to support the mechanised Brigades.

Upgrade the BRDM-2 (http://www.army-technology.com/contractors/armoured/wzm/) and use them to equip 2x Cavalry Regiments (2x Squadrons each due to small numbers) and a training unit.

Seek to be granted USA "excess defence articles" M16 rifles, M-249 SAW's and M-240 machine guns and ammunition natures for basic small arms. Employ Russian RPG-7s as direct fire support weapons and employ tripod mounted 12.7mm M2 machine guns as direct fire support weapons for infantry and special forces.

Conduct a major logistical vehicle purchase as the "big" spend within the first 5 years. Seek to acquire vehicles that are supportable within Africa: namely Land Rovers and Unimog trucks primarily. Also seek to build logistics and engineering capabilities including basic "civilian standard" road operations plant: potable water trucks, graders, bulldozers and scrapers. Also seek a bridging capability (no necessity for "armoured bridging at first) and a de-mining capability, both a "route" and an area based capability.

Eastablish a rapid reaction force based on air mobile (ie: helo supported) light infantry and special forces. Seek to build relations with South Africa and Great Britain to help build special forces capabilities and combined training opportunities.

This force could comprise 1x light infantry brigade of 3x infantry battalions, 1x artillery regiment equipped with DS30 guns, the Mi-8 helo regiment and combat support and engineering capabilities.

A special forces regiment equipped and structured along 22nd SAS Regiment Lines. (Obviously such a capability would take YEARS to generate).

To create a broader based army, I suggest a light infantry based army with mobility provided by Unimog truck and Land Rovers. I would acquire an 81mm mortar capability and use light infantry battalions support by these 81mm mortars, 12.7mm HMG's for direct fire support and the French MILAN-ER ATGW for anti-armour duties.

Depending on the population size and population of the country, I'd suggest around 15x infantry battalions formed into 5x brigades would probably suffice.

This would provide an overall force of 8x conventional brigades (2x heavy mechanised, 1x rapid reaction and 5 "depth" brigades) plus the special forces unit.

Navy: Attempt to sell the Submarine intact. It's useless to this Country. If not scrap it and sell the metal. Junk all those useless old FAC's.

Put the funds towards acquiring 4-6x off shore patrol vessels (1600 tons each). These vessels would be relatively lightly armed (sufficient to deal with Pirates, smugglers and fishing vessels and some combat functions), but reliable, equipped but able to operate in high sea states with sufficient size to carry RHIB's and additional crew for boarding duties.

Something similar to NZ's OPV's, but without the unnecessary ice-strengthening and no helo platform. I'd arm the vessels with a 76mm gun, a basic "standalone" SAM system (Mistral perhaps)and a cheaper 20-30mm cannon for it's Constabulary duties, plus an appropriate radar and sensor fit.

A second class of "in-shore patrol vessels" could then be acquired. These could also provide the basis for a special operations boat for the special operations regiment.

That's what I'd do to start with...

Falstaff

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very good! :)

I know that the scenario is far from being perfect- so feel free to make additions.

In order to make answers less complicated and/or time consuming, you're welcome to make assumptions or concentrate on certain aspects.

Last edited:

Rich

I agree with most of what AD says. I would follow the examples of several other nations in rebuilding not only the equipment of the armed forces but also the training and doctrine.

I really agree with putting the $$ into the Mirage program. However I wouldn't stop there. I would forge ties, especially training ones, with the Euro powers along the lines of Singapore. The French are more then willing to improve ties in Africa, as are the other Euro countries. Improving ties also will bring in investment and brainpower, as well as improve training and allow doctrine to evolve. The Mirages are the best of whats left and it makes sense to spend precious $$ on the Mirage force and selling off most of whats left.

If there was one new system, I'd buy right away it would be both attack and utility helicopters. Helicopters are very useful in Africa, most of all in bush conflicts and would bring the quickest and best return for the $$ spent. I would diversify as much as possible, building diplomatic bridges with my arms purchases as well as upgrading the military. South Africa makes a good attack chopper as well as personal carriers, tanks, and artillery/missilery.

In all areas I would gladly sacrifice numbers for quality. I would get training personnel from western nations into the country to help build a professional "volunteer" force.

The Navy could wait till the last and all but the patrol boats can be retired and sold for junk. When the rest of the services are stabilized some then a new 450 to 600 ton class PB can be purchased with a 57mm or 76mm gun and some MGs. There is really no need for expensive ASW, AshMs, SAMs, CIWS, or torpedoes, because the threat just isnt there.

With the situation in that part of the world a country exactly like that, that nationalized its oil/mineral reserves, would never have to worry we Yanks would not help them. We would do anything we had to in order to prevent a takeover by a hostile Fundamentalist regime.

Falstaff this is an outstanding idea for a thread.

Rythm

Since the only mission of the navy is fishery protection, protect trade routes and bordercontrol. a mere 6 vessels should be sufficient. And those 6 should be the ones with the lowest operating cost of the current fleet. Arm these with Machineguns if not present already. The rest should be sold or scrapped.

The Air Forces mission is to secure the airspace. Thats a totally different thing than what the navy does of course. The Mirage-5s are enough for air superiority if upgraded (work done in south africa). But i wouldnt waste money on more Mirages. If possible i would by surplus swedish JAS-39A/B Gripens but only if i get them dirt cheap from current swedish air force stocks. Two sqdns of wich one has a dual role as training unit. The Mi-8s and Super Pumas all go into a helo transport regiment. The AN-26 are modified as 3xMaritime Patrol Aircraft (work done by the french), 2x AEW&C aircraft (Swedish ERIEYE) and the rest is kept as transport aircraft and goes into a transport sqdn together with AN-2s wich are modified for Firefighting/cropwatering, light transport (resupply FOBs), airborne Rebro stations, airborne SIGINT. The rest is sold or scrapped. I would spend some € on 3 sqdns of swiss Pilatus PC-9s and equip these with belgian rocketpods (including AT-rockets), machineguns and FAE-bombs and use them in a dual role as light ground attack aircraft and trainers, cheap and effective. Some of the PC-9s should be equipped with FLIR for recce purposes, i would have prefered brazilian Super Tucanos, but as no US equipment is allowed this isnt an option. The SA-16s from the army form an air defence unit for point-defence if funding would be available i would throw in a radarsystem like swedish Giraffe or german BÜR.

For the army i would concentrate on a single armoured brigade of T-55s converted to Achzarits and get surplus Leopard 1s from Turkey. Both types modified with the israeli slat-type armor wich could be done by the newly established Ebonia Military Industries (EMI). In general as much as possible of the modifications mentioned should be at least in part be done by EMI under license. EMI will also construct and run an ammo-factory to supply not only Ebonia but also friendly countries with cheap ammo.

For recce purposes i would raise an entire regiment of Landrover WMIKs with AGLs of german origin instead of HMGs.

Also a parachute Regiment for rapid response and deep strike missions. These can use either the helos or the AN-26s for transport. A single company within the regiment can handle transport with cheap chinese quadbikes with trailers.

The D-30s form the basis for an artillery regiment. German COBRA counter artillery radars should be bought for this unit.

An Engineer regiment with two construction engineer batalions (aid for rebuilding country), one Combat engineer batalion and one assault engineer batalion (for FIBUA). Equipped with militarized civilian COTS vehicles and some turkish surplus Leopard Armoured Recovery Vehicles.

Then i would form 3-4 motorized brigades with german DINGO 3s. These are highly mobile in their mineresistant vehicles and together with the above mentioned units they form the active part of the army. Among these units the bulk of the current HJ-73 ATGMs and QW-2 SAMs should be distributed. The rest of the vehicles should be sold or scrapped. The AK-47s and G3s are quite enough for Africa. The unarmoured vehicles should be a mix of Landrovers and UNIMOGs.

In addition to this i would raise a local defence force. This should be a part-time force armed only with light weapons and no vehicles. Resposible for local recce and protection (not defence!).

the most important part is as always training, here i would utilize the french and the brits as they are the euopean nations with the most experience in desert warfare. Also try to reach a bilateral agreement with the french and offer them to station a small unit in Ebonia to construct and run one of their commandoschools. Offer this school to non-NATO EU-nations as trainingcenter for desert warfare.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Some clarification on the scenario

The scenario as presented looks very interesting. As such though, I have a few questions that I'd like a little clarification on.

Per the info given, Ebonia is in central Africa on the east coast, but on the Atlantic coast? Trying to make sure I can put it in the "right" location.

Regarding existing terrain features of Ebonia, are there any significant mountainous regions? Also, are there areas that are very arid/desert-like and if so, what type of desert (sandy, rocky, etc) For the rainforest, is it a very dense/wet rainforest (double or triple canopy) or is it open enough for vehicular travel?

Approximately how many square miles/km is Ebonia, and how long are the land borders? How large is the population, and how large (and of what type) are the #'s of existing military personnel? How many major population centres are there, and where are they located (clustered closely together, spread out, all on the coast, etc)? Same question for natural resources. What are the major arteries for travel and commerce (by road, coastal vessel, river, etc)?

Also, how large/well-equipped are the insurgent factions within Ebonia and where do they primarily operate (and do they operate with local support)? For the surrounding threat nations, how large/well equipped are their armed forces?

Also, a total US dollar/Euro figure for annual expenditure would be helpful, the defence budget figure I have for Switzerland (FY1998) was US$3.1 bil. Also, after the ten year "spending spree" to rebuild the military, what would the anticipated budget be to sustain the force?

-Cheers

Last edited:

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Ebonian Air Force

Depending on a few factors like the size of Ebonia's air space and how spread out strategic locations are, as well as the size and effectiveness of surrounding hostile air forces here are some of my thoughts for the air force.

Current equipment:

12 MiG-29A air combat fighter (non-flying condition)
- sell these for parts and/or scrap

20 MiG-21 fighter-bomber (flying condition)
- activate these for air defence

60 MiG-21 fighter-bomber (non-flying condition)
- cannibalize these to maintain flightworthy MiG-21s and J-7s and to see if more MiG-21s can be made flightworthy.

6 Su-22 ground attack/recce fighter (flying condition)
- activate these for air support

11 Su-22 ground attack/recce fighter (non-flying condition)
- cannibalize these to maintain flightworthy Su-22s and to see if more Su-22s can be made flightworthy.

25 Mirage 5 interceptor/multi-role fighter

45 J-7 fighter/ground attack (flying condition)

35 J-6 interceptor (mothballed)
- reactivate these for air defence

43 L-39 jet trainer (poor condition)
- cannibalize the least airworthy to improve on those in best shape, assign them for limited CAS and fast jet training roles

24 Zlin basic trainer (poor condition)
- cannibalize the least airworthy to improve on those in best shape, assign them for basic flight training roles

30 Mi-8 medium helicopter (good condition)
- continue use and maintenance

80 An-2/Y-5 utility (flying condition?)
- cannibalize the least airworthy to improve/maintain those in best shape, use for light transport, liason and observation roles

15 An-26 tactical transport (flying condition?)
- cannibalize the least airworthy to improve/maintain those in best shape, use for transportation/cargo

5 An-12 tactical transport (non-flying condition)
- sell these for parts and/or scrap

3 DC-3 transport (flying condition?)
- cannibalize the least airworthy to improve/maintain those in best shape, use for transportation/cargo

5 Learet VIP transport (flying condition?)
- Maintain two as VIP transport, operate the rest as a leased BizJet venture

My thoughts on the use of existing equipment is made based on the following premises.
1. The threat of attack from surrounding nations is high in the near future.
AND/OR
2. There are sufficient qualified pilots that would benefit from additional flight hours.
AND/OR
3. Mechanics/techs in training would benefit from aircraft to work on

Thoughts on future purchase/use:

Depending on the threat level and maintenance conditions would determine priority on replacement or augmentation of equipment. If maintenance is critical on any aircraft, that would likely get priority for replacement. Otherwise, if threat conditions are relatively benign then concentration should be made on augmenting and replacing the training and support elements first. One of the objectives of the augmentation or replacement of aircraft would be to rationalize the aircraft inventory into the fewest number of aircraft types to fufil the needed roles.

For flight training:
1. Purchase additional/replacement L-39Z/-59/-159B for formation of fast jet/CAS training squadrons, with a goal of ~36/3 sqds fast jet trainer 12/1 sqd for CAS/CAS training.
2. Replace the Zlin with ~48/4 sqds worth of PC-7/PC-9 turboprop for basic flight training duties and a secondary role of CAS.
3. Establish a basic helicopter training program with preference for using the EC-120/-130/-135 for training and secondary transport/liason/SAR roles

For transportation:

Purchase additional Mi-8 and AS-332 Super Pumas, with a targeted goal of ~36-48 Mi-8 and ~12-24 AS-332 Super Pumas in service for a total of 3-4 sqd Mi-8 and 1-2 sqd Super Pumas. Depending on heli lift needs, consider purchase of a small number of Mi-26 as well.

Assuming the 80 An-2/Y-5 fleet is in relatively good condition, maintain that for light transport/liason duties with secondary observation roles.

If the An-26 fleet is in good condition, maintain that while augmenting it by ~6 CN-235/-295 with gradual replacement by additional examples of the CN-235/-295. If instead the An-26 fleet is in poor condition, keep the An-26s in best condition and begin replacing the rest with the CN-235/-295 with a target of ~20-24 transports. Begin retirement of the DC-3 as their service life declines.

For combat aircraft:

I would expect the targeted number of combat aircraft to be ~100-120 organized in roughly 8-10 sqds of 12 aircraft, 6-8 being frontline and 2 acting as an OCU.

As either the service life dwindles on the Su-22 or a buyer appears, start retirement from service.

Begin replacement of the J-6 interceptors with either Mirage 5 or Mirage 2000 (if available) in 2-4 groups of ~12 aircraft each

Start rationalization of the MiG-21/J-7 fleet scrapping and selling those not air worthy and/or the variants with the least numbers in service. Replace these with either Mirage 5, Mirage F1, Mirage 2000 or JAS 39 Gripen in 4-5 groups of ~12 aircraft each.

Then take the different aircraft in service of just added and upgrade/update to common standards. The preference on new fighter acquisitions would be so that there would only be 2-3 different types of frontline fighter in inventory. Target would be to have ~48-60/4-5 sqds Mirage 5 config for fighter/interceptor and roughly the same numbers of Mirage F1, Mirage 2000, or Mirage F1/Mirage 2000 or Mirage 2000/JAS 39 Gripen combinations for strike and air defence roles.

Then I'd recommend addition of new capacity not currently in service by adding 4-6 CN-235/-295 configured for MPA to coincide with the addition of the same type of aircraft in the transport configurations.

Thats all for now.

-Cheers

Last edited:

Falstaff

Per the info given, Ebonia is in central Africa on the east coast, but on the Atlantic coast? Trying to make sure I can put it in the "right" location.
Oops! My fault! Ebonia is situated on the west coast, embracing the gulf of guinea.

Regarding existing terrain features of Ebonia, are there any significant mountainous regions? Also, are there areas that are very arid/desert-like and if so, what type of desert (sandy, rocky, etc) For the rainforest, is it a very dense/wet rainforest (double or triple canopy) or is it open enough for vehicular travel?
In the south the landscape becomes mountainous (500-1000m), apart from that there are no significant mountainous regions. As for desert like areas I think it would be a good assumption that the steppe area in the north becomes more and more desert like the farther you go north. If sandy or rocky I'll leave to your imagination.
As the rainforest divides the country I assume it has been made open to travel to some extent. In addition, during Ebonia's wild years there was a lot of illegal deforestation.

Approximately how many square miles/km is Ebonia, and how long are the land borders? How large is the population, and how large (and of what type) are the #'s of existing military personnel? How many major population centres are there, and where are they located (clustered closely together, spread out, all on the coast, etc)? Same question for natural resources. What are the major arteries for travel and commerce (by road, coastal vessel, river, etc)?
Ebonia would appr. be 1 600 000 sq. km or 625 000 sq. miles in size. Population is about 24 per sq. km -> 38 million inhabitants. I think it's a good assumption that most population centres are on the coast and along the rivers in the south. However, some big cities are spread throughout the country near traditional raw material exploitation areas. These can be found all over the country.
I assume there is a certain amount of well trained and experienced soldiers and supporting staff already. Most of the current military personnel however consists of foot soldiers.

Also, how large/well-equipped are the insurgent factions within Ebonia and where do they primarily operate (and do they operate with local support)? For the surrounding threat nations, how large/well equipped are their armed forces?
The insurgent factions are groups using guerilla and terror tactics. They are equipped with light weapons like assault rifles, portable mortars, few ATGMs and such. Due to Ebonia's history they are experienced fighters and have nothing to lose.
The sourrounding threat nations are well armed mainly with weapons of soviet and chinese origin. I'd set their capabilities and equipment similar to pre-war Iraq.
The country in the north is similar in size and population to Ebonia, the countries in the east are far smaller with populations of each about 7-8 million.

Also, a total US dollar/Euro figure for annual expenditure would be helpful, the defence budget figure I have for Switzerland (FY1998) was US$3.1 bil. Also, after the ten year "spending spree" to rebuild the military, what would the anticipated budget be to sustain the force?
I chose the Switzerland figure just to make clear that you have to be moderate to some degree. Just wanted to avoid the let's buy 500 SU-30s scenarios. It just means you have to be sensible but there also is some room for investment.
The economical development of Ebonia leads to a moderate annual rise in defence spending after this period, too.

Rythm

Hate to say it but the CN-235/-295 is out of question for Ebonia. The US would ban the re-sell of its US-made engines. Same thing happend to Venezuela. Same reason i didnt opt for the Super Tucanos (also got US Engines).

A

Aussie Digger

I agree with most of what AD says. I would follow the examples of several other nations in rebuilding not only the equipment of the armed forces but also the training and doctrine.

I really agree with putting the $$ into the Mirage program. However I wouldn't stop there. I would forge ties, especially training ones, with the Euro powers along the lines of Singapore. The French are more then willing to improve ties in Africa, as are the other Euro countries. Improving ties also will bring in investment and brainpower, as well as improve training and allow doctrine to evolve. The Mirages are the best of whats left and it makes sense to spend precious $$ on the Mirage force and selling off most of whats left.

If there was one new system, I'd buy right away it would be both attack and utility helicopters. Helicopters are very useful in Africa, most of all in bush conflicts and would bring the quickest and best return for the $$ spent. I would diversify as much as possible, building diplomatic bridges with my arms purchases as well as upgrading the military. South Africa makes a good attack chopper as well as personal carriers, tanks, and artillery/missilery.

In all areas I would gladly sacrifice numbers for quality. I would get training personnel from western nations into the country to help build a professional "volunteer" force.

The Navy could wait till the last and all but the patrol boats can be retired and sold for junk. When the rest of the services are stabilized some then a new 450 to 600 ton class PB can be purchased with a 57mm or 76mm gun and some MGs. There is really no need for expensive ASW, AshMs, SAMs, CIWS, or torpedoes, because the threat just isnt there.

With the situation in that part of the world a country exactly like that, that nationalized its oil/mineral reserves, would never have to worry we Yanks would not help them. We would do anything we had to in order to prevent a takeover by a hostile Fundamentalist regime.

Falstaff this is an outstanding idea for a thread.
The South Africans make the Rooivalk which is an excellent attack helicopter by all reports, though it seems a bit expensive for Ebonia's limited budget.

If they are building an entire force from the ground up and are required to upgrade it's virtual entire inventory as WELL as establish a solid logistical support capability, any new LARGE purchases like this are going to be unavailable in the short term.

I considered some second hand Mil-Mi-24's or 35's as an attack helo squadron or 2, but decided on arming the Mi-8's, training pilots, maintainers, loadmasters etc and developing doctrine and the forces "operational art" is going to be hard enough, introducing new types with no previous experience is going to be too much to ask I reckon.

Australia is barely (if at all) going to have it's Tiger capability operational within 5 years from contract signature. Ebonia I think if it requires any (though I don't doubt the utility of attack helo's in the African environment) certainly doesn't require such a high level capability in the first 5 years of the force.

Some of the South African upgrades for the Mi-24/35's are apparently very cost effective and result in rather good capability...

Rythm

So, there we have a first disagreement! What is best for ground support for Ebonia?

Aussie Digger recomends armed Mi-8 helos (cheapest alternative)
Me, i recomend Pilatus PC-9s with roughly same armament
Rich recomends Rooivalk attack helos (most expensive option)

I reckon all three options are doable within timefram and budget, but i think my option is the best for Ebonia because of longer time-over-target and less time from call-to until they arrive on scene due to higher airspeed. Also the availability of Napalm and other bombs make this option more cost-effective in the long run i reckon. Also there is the issue of the dual-role as basic trainers for the rest of the airforce. Granted, my option does lack a powerfull autocannon, instead having 12,7mm HMGs. And it is more expensive than aussie diggers option, but on the other hand there would be no need to buy L-139s and PC-7s for ground attack or training purposes. Lead-in training for the Mirage would be done in south africa.

What do you say?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Hate to say it but the CN-235/-295 is out of question for Ebonia. The US would ban the re-sell of its US-made engines. Same thing happend to Venezuela. Same reason i didnt opt for the Super Tucanos (also got US Engines).
The CN-295 might not be an issue using P&WC (Pratt & Whitney Canada) engines, US export restrictions might not apply. Also, it depends on just how bad the US-Ebonia relationship is, the US-Venezuela is currently very bad, largely due to who the leaders of the two countries are. Alternatively, EADS might offer the CN-235/-295 with an alternate engine from RR or similar. IIRC that was the solution to the export issue to Venezuela.

-Cheers

Last edited:
A

Aussie Digger

So, there we have a first disagreement! What is best for ground support for Ebonia?

I reckon all three options are doable within timefram and budget, but i think my option is the best for Ebonia because of longer time-over-target and less time from call-to until they arrive on scene due to higher airspeed. Also the availability of Napalm and other bombs make this option more cost-effective in the long run i reckon. Also there is the issue of the dual-role as basic trainers for the rest of the airforce. Granted, my option does lack a powerfull autocannon, instead having 12,7mm HMGs. And it is more expensive than aussie diggers option, but on the other hand there would be no need to buy L-139s and PC-7s for ground attack or training purposes. Lead-in training for the Mirage would be done in south africa.

What do you say?
You forgoe an air defence asset in your scenario, by removing the L-159 which can carry AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles. The L-159B variant also possesses a precision ground attack capability with a nose mounted EO/IR sensor and laser guidance system.

LIF training in South Africa would be cheaper no doubt, but offer less overall capability.

I suggested PC-7 because it's an older generation aircraft and second hand variants are likely to be quite a bit cheaper than PC-9 or PC-21.

I guess it really depends on how urgent the situation is in Ebonia and the availability of second hand aircraft in this class on the world market.

The Rooivalk option would seriously distort the available defence budget, IMHO. Upgrading the Mirarges, acquiring a new trainer and airlift aircraft, upgrading the vehicle fleet, acquiring the OPV's and building up the logistical capacity and the ammunition/ordnance warstock to support these initiatives is going to put extreme pressure on the budget as it is...

Perhaps in the "2nd" 5 year budget planning cycle, certainly not in the first and I have doubts about the supportability of the Rooivalk itself. South Africa is the only operator of the platform and only operates a small fleet of 16x aircraft.

Any Western attack helicopter (besides second hand AH-1W Cobra's perhaps, which are unavailable in this scenario due to political considerations) is going to be virtually unaffordable with the Ebonian defence budget.

Australia bought 22 Tiger's for $1.5B. This allows for 2x operational squadrons of 9 aircraft a piece with 6x operational aircraft from each Squadron available at any one time and a training unit of 4x aircraft.

Surely this is about as small an operational capability as you could get and still be useful?

Can Ebonia afford a $1.5 Billion dollar defence acquisition in it's initial stages?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Ebonian Navy

Okay, here are my thoughts on the Ebonian Navy, with some caveats given different as yet unmentioned/decided geographic features.

Current kit:
1 Romeo class SSK, very bad condition, inoperable since the 80's
- Have the Romeo SSK examined to determine what value could be gotten if sold "as is". If it can't be sold then consider sinking it as a dive wreck, or give it to the more aggressive of the two eastern nations, deciding by which option is less expensive. I consider giving it to a potential threat nation a valid option given the difficulties and expense needed to restore a Romeo to working condition, never mind field it operationally.

12 OSA-1 class FACs
- Depending on the condition of the vessel and armament, either maintain them for short duration patrols around major port, or if in rather poor condition or little available armament, strip them to maintain the similar Huang Feng class FACs, pending sale and replacement.

10 Huangfeng-class FACs
- Depending on condition of these and the available armament, use the longer ranged Huang Feng for short naval patrols and EEZ enforcement, maintaining them with parts from the Osa-1 class and other Huang Feng class vessels, pending sale/replacement.

30 type 62 (Shanghai-II class) patrol vessels in rather good condition
- If there are extensive navigable rivers, use the Shang Hai II for riverine patrol and army support, otherwise short duration EEZ patrols.

100 land based CSS-N-5 Sabot AShMs
- Maintain batteries of these near major ports or strategic coastal sites, pending the entry into service of AShM-equipped MPA, once that occurs, scrap or preferably sell the CSS-N-5.

Future kit:

As mentioned in the prior Ebonian Air Force post, acquire a few MPA, which should be armed for an AShM role.

a few OPV/Corvette sized vessels should be purchased in the 85-100 m range and in the 1,000 - 2,000 tons displacement. Depending on the relative capabilities of the surrounding nations would determine whether the loadout should be more along the lines of the River OPV or Kedah/MEKO A-100 FSG. I would think roughly 3 should be sufficient, and I would advocate a minimum main armament of a 30mm gun, sea search radar as well as a heli landing deck. Any word on the status of the Brunei order for 3 F2000-class FSG? I don't think a hangar would be needed, and the heli deck isn't likely to be used until the Ebonian Defence Force is a bit more developed, but would allow further options in the future. The primary roles would be EEZ enforcement, anti-piracy and keeping sea approaches open.

Depending on the internal situation (both socio-political and geographic) then perhaps augmenting the Shang Hai II class patrol vessels with Super Dvora patrol boats for both coastal and riverine patrols would be sensible.

I would recommend replacing the Osa-1/Huang Feng FAC with around 10-15 Saar 4 or similar FAC, gradually decommissioning the older vessels as the replacements launch.

Preferences would be given to designs using SSM/SAM of either Israeli or South African origin, after that then Euro design. However, it would be important that the different designs use the same types of missiles and caliber of munitions as much as possible. I.e. if the FSG intended for Brunei were purchased, and came equipped with Exocet MM40 and BAe Seawolf, then those should be the main SSM and SAM used on other vessels as well.

Development of waterborne ops along the lines of the SBS should be considered, especially if Ebonia has a number of offshore oil platforms or terminals.

Also, a system of land-based maritime surveillance radar should be considered if it could be adequately operated and maintained.

-Cheers

Last edited:

Falstaff

Before I post my thoughts on this scenario I must confess that my knowledge is far from what your answers imply. However:

After reconstruction, the armed forces should be able to perform the following tasks:
- defend your country from the aggressive and well armed neighbours in the north and east
- fight insurgents and rebels throughout the country
- fishery protection
- protect your raw material areas and trade routes
- secure your airspace
- control your borders
- to gain reputation take part in UN missions
- later perhaps be a stabilizing force for the whole of central africa
- SAR

I'll keep that in mind when proposing the following:

Army:
- 250 type 59 MBTs in poor condition
- 300 T-54/55 MBTs in poor condition
I'd like to retain most of these tanks in order to deter the hostile neighbouring countries in the north and east and make invasion expensive. They are known to be robust, spares are easily available and cheap and Ebonia's forces are used to operating them.
I'd seek for Israeli and/or Chinese help to refurbish and upgrade them to e.g. type 59D standard with a NATO compatible, stabilised 105mm main gun and communication gear. The Chinese might be willing to conduct these upgrades very cheaply and I'd see to the upgrades being performed in a new facility in Ebonia in order to train mechanics and engineers.
NATO-compatible ammo is widely available from South African and other suppliers.
With Israeli help I'd convert ~40 of them to armoured recovery vehicles.

As a new capability I'd try to acquire surplus and/or new Rooikat 105 vehicles from South Africa as tank destroyers.

- 160 PT-76 amphibious tanks
I'd keep these light and amphibious tanks to equip 2 light armoured tank brigades to operate in the south and for COIN missions in difficult terrain. Seek Chinese and Israeli help for upgrades similar to your MBTs, bringing ammunition, communication and navigation gear to a modern standard.

- 80 type 62 light tanks in poor condition
I'd scrap or sell these.

- 320 BMP-1 of different variants
- 120 BRDM-2 (BTR-40) scout tanks
I propose the same measures as AD to refurbish/upgrade them and bring them to a common standard + I'd try to buy some additional BMP-1s or 2s that should easily and cheaply be available on the international market.

- 150 type 63 AFVs
I'd sell these and try to buy ~ 300 or so surplus and new wheeled Ratel APCs from South Africa as a replacement and upgrade them to iKLwa-standard under a low priority program. These vehicles could be used for UN peacekeeping missions as well.

- 100 D30 howitzers
I agree to AD.

As a new capability I'd like to introduce a SPH like the wheeled G6 in small numbers first in order to pack a bigger punch and to gain operational experience with SPH for the future. They should do just fine in the steppe/ desert area.
As the 122mm guns are alredy introduced I'd buy some of the Chinese type 89 SPH. It's gun is a copy of the D-30 and it's compact and light enough to operate in the difficult southern area.
As the northern and eastern states probably use a lot of artillery I'd try to acquire an artillery observation radar.

I'd seek European assistance to form mechanised brigades and develop tactics for combined arms operations.

- 75 type 86 anti tank guns
- 600 HJ-73 ATGMs
I'd scrap these AT weapons and form a credible AT capability by purchasing Spike-missiles from Israel.

- 210 QW-2 manpads
- 30 SA-16 manpads
I'd retain these and assign them to reserve units which in case of homeland defence form groups of air observers/ coordinating officers and missile units for point defence of low priority installations.

For air defence I'd then set up an integrated network utilising the Mistral 2 missile, the corresponding Mistral Coordination Post System and a radar system such as the swedish Giraffe. I'd convert some of the Ratel APCs to AAM missile carriers for mobility.
As a new capability I'd introduce a SPAAA system, due to cost issues I'd acquire surplus ZSU-23/4 systems on the international market and upgrade them with new fire control and radar system as performed by russian manufacturers or the Polish (sorry for the Wiki-link, most other sources in German or Polish). Then I'd assign them to the mechanised brigades.
These vehicles should provide valuable experience and are versatile in ground support roles as well.

- several thousend trucks and off-road vehicles of chinese and russian origin, mostly old and worn out and in need of replacement
- you're troops are equipped with old AK-47 and G-3 assault rifles

The acqusition of new trucks and off-road vehicles is an absolut must and should be the top priority! Land Rovers and Unimogs as AD proposed would be a goo choice. Perhaps a license production agreement could be arranged.
I'd replace the rifles as well, but I don't know much about rifles, so I'll just leave this one out ;)

In order to gain an information advantage over my hostile neighbours I'd acquire about 10-12 MQ-5B Hunter systems and ground stations for real-time imagery intelligence, artillery adjustment, battle damage assessment, reconnaissance and surveillance, target acquisition and battlefield observation.

Last edited:

Falstaff

Airforce:
- 12 MIG-29A non-flying condition
I'd sell these

- 80 MIG-21 of various variants, 20 of which are in a flying condition
- 45 J-7 fighters in various early variants
I'd buy spares to return all of them to flying condition, then I'd initiate a common upgrade program for these fighters such as the IAI MIG-21-2000 program, which would provide the Ebonian air force with a versatile fighter aircraft until a new generation aircraft was available.
If available I'd acquire some MIG-21 UBs or JJ-7 trainers and upgrade them accordingly.
I'd buy some RECCE pods to use them with the MIGs.

After the first 5 year period I'd try to equip 1-2 wings with surplus Mirage 2000 fighters from France and upgrade them to -5 standard.

- 17 SU-22, 6 of which are in a flying condition
I'd scrap or sell them

- 25 upgraded Mirage 5 received from Belgium in the 90's in good condition
I'd keep them for a few years and use them in a similar role as the upgraded MIGs. I'd modify them to carry python 4 missiles.

- 35 J-6 fighters, mothballed since the 90's
Assuming rather good condition and low hours I'd keep most of them as long as spares are available and assign them to a reserve unit, perhaps use them as aggressors.

- 43 L-39 jet training aircraft, poor condition
upgrade them to L-159 standard and acquire the 47 surplus czech L-159; use them as LIFT and light ground attack aircraft

- 24 Zlin aircraft for basic training, poor condition
I agree to you, PC-9 or such should do the job.

I'd seek European help to set up a modern standard flight school program utilising an integrated approach with simulators and real planes as well.

After the first 5 year period I'd try to equip 1-2 wings with surplus Mirage 2000 fighters from France and upgrade them to -5 standard.

- 30 Mi-8 helicopters in rather good condition
keep them, buy huge numbers (~120-150) of additional cheap and versatile (used, if possible) Mi-8/17s, 1/3 of them armed, as transport is an issue in the vast area of Ebonia and esp. in the south and the rain forest.
These helicopters will be the backbone of the transport capability. The armed helicopters have a secondary ground support role.
In addition I'd buy 20 MI-8MPS SAR helicopters and base them along the coast for SAR missions.

- 8 recently acquired Super Pumas
Keep them and use them for VIP transport and liaison duties.

- 80 AN-2/Y-5 utility/ liaison aircraft
I'd keep them too and perhaps even upgrade them with OTS navigation and communication equipment. These planes can be very useful in a big country like Ebonia for all kinds of duties.
Some of them could be assigned to reserve units when more helicopters become available.

- 15 AN-26 transport planes
I'd keep them and use them for tactical support roles.

- 5 AN-12
- 3 DC-3
It' is evident that a new airlift capability must be acquired. That's a hard task however as the Herc probably won't be available and it's to early to acquire C-160s. I'd introduce a mix of a few Mi-26 heavy lift helicopters, a new airlifter in the C-27/C-295 class and some used Il-76 transporters from Russia. Due to budget restraints only in low numbers and used if possible.

- 5 Lear Jets for VIP transport
I'd keep them for VIP and liaison duties.

For ground attack and COIN missions I'd purchase ~80 surplus SU-25s to form two fighter bomber wings and later upgrade them with Israeli help to NATO standard.

Well, now I guess I'm over budget... and the Navy's still to come.

Last edited:

Rich

My point being if there was one option, in the entire budget, for purchasing/fielding a new system, it would be helicopters I would choose. The fact is helos are extremely effective in Africa, a continent with generally low ATA threats and a whole lot of bush insurgencies. Ive both walked in the bushveldt and flown in choppers during Rhino dartings and the edge helos give you is astounding.

The biggest threat to your new nation is going to be from within, and its probably a threat that isn't going to entail a whole lot of high tech manpads. There is simply no substitute in Africa for a good helicopter force. You can get by with the Mirages to secure your air, and you dont need to pour much money into the navy to begin with.

Your running a country rich in natural resources so you can get the credit. So buy the attack and utility helos and build a 1st rate maintenance/training mechanism for them. And while your getting your MBT mess straightened out I'd probably also buy a real good LAV as they are also very useful in the bush as well. Doesn't the RSA make a good one too? A LAV that does very well in the African bush?

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
I think the army would be "experienced" rather than well trained or motivated after a long war.

anyway here goes mine:

Rather than blowing my limited bucks on equipment, Id focus on increasing the training, intelligence and experience of the soldiers. Secondly a major overhaul and evaluation of the armies organisation, tactics, strategy etc.
Such low budget options can make one hell of a difference. In 1973, when the egyptians made it across the canal and put up some semblance of a defence, they were using the swedish system of reserves rather than soviets. Other remarkable changes such as these were also noticed.

Secondly, Id try and set up an effective C5ISTAR (what they call the next generation C4iSR i think). Id have to spend a little lavishly here as the system wouldnt just be a few boxes of electronics but would comprise recon, surveillance, and communication assetts and the means to connect and use them.

Thirdly, A wartime infrastructure involving war stocks, mobilisation infrastructure and logistics.

Lastly, id still have a little dough left over from these options to make up some equipment changes right? so here goes:
FOR GODS SAKE DONT SCRAP THE ARMOUR!!!
Even the US with its defence budget isnt confident enough to trash its tanks. The only country i know of which made this blunder on a large scale was india when it trashed its T-50s by selling em off to south africa. Just upgrade it. All of it put together in upgraded form would give you 2 armoured and maybe 2 mechanised divisions or maybe just 3 mixed armoured/mechanised divisions. This is a LOT when you consider your enemy will have his armour in close quality to yours but not as well ledor manned or with as good intelligence as your side. (rmmbr the C5istar and training reforms?)

As for the airforce, yeah, just upgrade it. Split up resources 50/50 between air defence and strike. Dont worry too much about air defence. The recent conflict is somalia showed african air forces can at best, undergoe unopposed bombing missions. But against trained pilots and an alert and effective f not high tech air defence system, they would be more likele blown out of the sky if there not destroyed on the ground by skilled,well planned air strikes from the country in question. Strike missions from our own airforce will count a lot however.

Lastly, keep up the artillery and small arms standards if you can.

As for the navy, keep ur boats in good condition. gun boats especially. Missile boats if the styx can be replaced. The Styx sucks against fast patrol boats. I dont know about the CSS-N-5 but it should as well. With your airforce and patrol boats you can concentrate on destroying naval forces and then turning to undefended facilities and ships.

You wont be able to make a lot of changes in equipment. Just a few handy upgrades thats all. Focus most of these on your air force and army, as the army will have the task to bring the war to a finish as african conflicts with two weak sides have a nasty tendency to become decade long affairs.

You see, a lot of people think the orbat is what counts the most in war forgetting such things as the human factor, geo-strategic considerations etc. Besides the equipment desparities wouldnt be so great in an african theatre like the one mentiones.

I would advise the leaders of the new nation to use their countries wealth to establish links with the dominant powers in the region and the world to back them up politically so war wont even be necessary. Such political networking is what saved Syria in 73 (operation Shock troop) and pakistan countless times.

The training and intelligence of soldiers is vital, as the germans beat the french and soviets with inferior numbers and not exactly ur high tech equipment.

Their intelligence will count a lot in combatting insurgencies as well due to their understanding of political, socio-economic conditions and etc and their discipline. Firepower is of little importance here.

As for intelligent and imaginative soldiers, their value is:
1. The perfect staff for your intelligence agency, used to manipulate politics in enemy states, bogg them down with insurgencies, threat of assassination and ofcourse intelligence and counter intelligence.
2. Intitiative is crucial in battle because of the time factor. Remember Napoleon?

Ill elaborate on this plan more as suggestions come by....

Last edited:

Manfred

I was waiting for somebody to mention intelligence...:rolleyes:

Spending a large part of the budget on this would not be a bad idea, either. As for training of officers and men, it might not be a bad idea to gather a dozen of your best and brightest people, and have them hash out new programs and doctrines. Policy and tactics that are specificaly tailored to your own nation and its abilities, rather than borrowing them from some superpower.
You said that your people just won a long, hard-fought war. Have them share experiances and write it all down while it is still fresh.

Scraping a large part of the air force (for safety's sake, if nothing else!) and the over-sized navy is innevitable. You also have a surprising number of tanks, in dissapointing condition.

I would NOT scrap all the older tanks! Russian/Chinese tanks generaly become inoperable due to drive-train trouble. A tank is still somewhat useful without it's mobility. As the Russians have done along the border with China, they can be encased in concerete at group level and used as bunkers.
Yes, I know the concept is out-dated, and even by African standards, they are nothing but a trip-wire defense. However, if echeloned in depth at crucial points along main routes, they are a very nice trip-wire.

All in all, the best points have already been covered, and covered well. I'm just nit-picking here.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Ebonian Army

Okay, time for some of my thoughts on the Ebonian Army

Current Army:
250 type 59 MBTs in poor condition
300 T-54/55 MBTs in poor condition
80 type 62 light tanks in poor condition
- As an interim solution invite Israel and/or South Africa in to assist in reconditioning either the Type 59 or T-54/55 MBTs back into useful service. The MBT selected should be based off which design can have the most numbers at lowest price returned to service, making use of whatever suitable components are available from the MBT design not selected and the Type 62 light tanks. Then, depending on numbers available purchase purchase surplus Leopard 2A4 from Germany. IIRC this variant was offered to Canada at ~US$600,000, so a unit of ~250 would be about US$150 mil. Perform modifications appropriate to operate in Ebonia's climate and terrain.

160 PT-76 amphibious tanks
150 type 63 AFVs
- Given the potential need to operate in or near constricted and riverine environments, depending on condition of the the PT-76s update them for improved performance. If they are in poor overall condition then scrap/sell them. Same for the Type 63s.

320 BMP-1 of different variants
- Carry out updates on the BMP-1s (with South African or Israeli help) to centre on a common variant as much as possible. Either augment or replace (depending on usage) with IMVs like the RG-31 Nyala.

120 BRDM-2 (BTR-40) scout tanks
- Again, depending on condition, perform upgrades to increase use/performance, otherwise just maintain those in good condition pending replacement with other recce vehicles.

100 D30 howitzers
- Keep the D30 howitzers in service, however purchase radar systems for counter battery fire. Purchase a few ~6-12 SPH (preferably G6-52 from Denel) and work with South Africa on improving artillery.

75 type 86 anti tank guns
600 HJ-73 ATGMs
210 QW-2 manpads
30 SA-16 manpads
- With the possible exception of the SA-16, keep the different types but have them made part of Reserve/Home Guard formations if the weapons are in good condition, otherwise scrap/sell them. Consider purchase of additional SA-16 for Army use, or other manpad system like RBS-70 (with possible ASRAD system). I'd look to see what ATGM systems are available from South Africa and Israel.

several thousend trucks and off-road vehicles of chinese and russian origin, mostly old and worn out and in need of replacement
- As mentioned by others, replace these with Land Rovers and Unimogs, if possible, seek some local assembly capability.

you're troops are equipped with old AK-47 and G-3 assault rifles
- Given that troops are presumably already familiar with it, and that it functions reasonably well in primitive/field conditions, I'd keep the AK-47 in service, just seek newer copies. Also if possible seek some local production of the AK-47. I'd retire the G3, as for other weaponry, I'd look to have the Army standardize on the Browning High Power Mark 3 9mm pistol, the FN MAG and FN F-89 Minimi MGs, and the Browning M2HB 0.50 cal HMG.

Raise a SpecOps type unit, preferably with UK/Australian/NZ assistance, and have them set to carry out small unit amphib raid/assaults, counter terrorism, and patrol/intel gathering, etc.

As AD mentioned, raise an Engineering element, to plant/remove mines, construct emplacements and provide a bridging capability.

Thats is for now.

-Cheers