RMAF Future; need opinions

Subangite

renjer said:
If we get the Hawk Mk 128s then these can be glassed for the Sukhois. IAF is doing this I believe. I am not sure if the current Mk 108s have open achitecture.
Yes, but thats if we get the Hawk Mk128s, what if we don't? Or are we getting them? Was there ever allocation for Hawk Mk128s by the Malaysian government? I'm not quite sure how the procurement procedures work with regards to military spending in Malaysia, was there a rumor regarding this purchase? I don't think the TUDM will get them, but I might be mistaken.

renjer

Well, it's not impossible to train with what Malaysia has right now. It's just that it would be more difficult to make the transition to the Sukhois without the benefit of cockpits that are already glassed for it. Pilots would have to make the mental adjustment for the different layout. This is how it's done before open achitecture became available.

That's why I mentioned the simulators for the MiGs. It helped since these were the first Russian aircrafts that the RMAF flew. This time around we are also getting simulators for the Sukhois as part of the purchase.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
The cockpit layout for SUs will be far different from the Mig. for one, it'll be a glass cockpit configuration and the closest malaysia have to glass cockpit is the hornets. the simulator will be a crucial tools to familiarize the pilots with the cockpit layout.

Subangite

renjer said:
Well, it's not impossible to train with what Malaysia has right now. It's just that it would be more difficult to make the transition to the Sukhois without the benefit of cockpits that are already glassed for it. Pilots would have to make the mental adjustment for the different layout. This is how it's done before open achitecture became available.

That's why I mentioned the simulators for the MiGs. It helped since these were the first Russian aircrafts that the RMAF flew. This time around we are also getting simulators for the Sukhois as part of the purchase.
Yup, agreed and I guess simulators are the way to go, I don't think the TUDM are planning to acquire Hawk Mk 128s anytime soon. I think additional hawks are less pressing than the repeatedly mentioned TUDM need for an AWACS aircraft, though no form orders has been place. Also I assume the replacement of the Sikorsky S61A-4 Nuri would be more vital than new Hawks, especially now since the TUDM service is experiencing trouble operating them, considering the recent crashes.

mmmbop

alexz said:
FYi the Hawk is armed only with armerments from the west. So there is no weapons intergration whatsoever between russian and western equipments in TUDM.
Firstly, i don't think there is plan of arming the hawk with russian one.other than it hasn't been done before (which is risky), i believe the RMAF hawk is not going to be armed other than dumb bomb and AA missile.

secondly, the source code is another important factor.it's surprising if UK permits russian weapons on their plane.

mmmbop

Subangite said:
Yup, agreed and I guess simulators are the way to go, I don't think the TUDM are planning to acquire Hawk Mk 128s anytime soon. I think additional hawks are less pressing than the repeatedly mentioned TUDM need for an AWACS aircraft, though no form orders has been place. Also I assume the replacement of the Sikorsky S61A-4 Nuri would be more vital than new Hawks, especially now since the TUDM service is experiencing trouble operating them, considering the recent crashes.
I'm perplexed for the current MAF procurement plan.there seems to be a lot of ongoing plans but with Abdullah holding the allocations i see most seems to be wishlist for now.

renjer

Subangite said:
Agreed, the chances for a replacement purchase for the Nuris is higher than that for a LIF or a AEW purchase. The RMAF is quite keen to acquire some CSAR helicopters. Hopefully, they can combined these with their utility transport requirement under one aircraft type. With regards to timing, I don't see anything happening until we get closer to the next LIMA.

Also, the GOM is trying to revamp the shareholding structure of NADI. Announcing a Hawk Mk 128 purchase would entrench the existing shareholders as BAe products come under SMEA (?) which is a subsidiary of NADI.

Last edited:

renjer

mmmbop said:
Firstly, i don't think there is plan of arming the hawk with russian one.other than it hasn't been done before (which is risky), i believe the RMAF hawk is not going to be armed other than dumb bomb and AA missile.

secondly, the source code is another important factor.it's surprising if UK permits russian weapons on their plane.
Agreed, there is a higher likelihood of the Sukhois being armed with Western armaments than the other way around. The Sukhois will have a lot of French avionics (Thales?) and we might see some products from MBDA on them. It would be interesting to see if the AM-39 can be fitted to these aircraft as Malaysia already has experience operating the MM-40 and will also be acquiring the SM-39 for the Scorpenes. The Storm Shadow might be another interesting option. Personally, I would like to see Malaysia acquiring the Russian 3M-54s.

alexz

To me the sudden buy of airbus A400 transporters are unwarranted. the C-130's can fly on forever and new C-130's are hugely cheaper than those airbuses. I think its a political buy rather than something thant TUDM aked for. TUDM can also pick the Il-76 made in Usbekistan and it is also a large cargo plane capable of lifting nearly 50tons of cargo. Unless there is a substantial kickbacks offered by airbus...

As for the S-61 replacement, the tested and capable Mi-171 is a good buy at $5Mil a piece. You dont need expensive and advanced helis just to haul cargoes and troops around...

Ding

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep you are correct... part of the Sukhoi's armement would be the MICA from MBDA. Also the avionics is from Thales, the MFD is from Sagem and the EW suite is from Avitronics (South Afrika). So the Sukhoi is wired to fire both the Adder and the MICA for BVR engagements

renjer

alexz said:
To me the sudden buy of airbus A400 transporters are unwarranted. the C-130's can fly on forever and new C-130's are hugely cheaper than those airbuses. I think its a political buy rather than something thant TUDM aked for. TUDM can also pick the Il-76 made in Usbekistan and it is also a large cargo plane capable of lifting nearly 50tons of cargo. Unless there is a substantial kickbacks offered by airbus...
I think part of the "kickbacks" are offset agreements with CTRM for worldwide component production of the A400M. Similar to the deal with the Hawk Mk 108/208s with SMEA.

renjer

Ding said:
Yep you are correct... part of the Sukhoi's armement would be the MICA from MBDA. Also the avionics is from Thales, the MFD is from Sagem and the EW suite is from Avitronics (South Afrika). So the Sukhoi is wired to fire both the Adder and the MICA for BVR engagements
I remember seeing an article awhile back about the MOD rejecting the MICA as missile choice for the Sukhoi. They must have changed their minds.

alexz

Malaysia will be getting 8 aermacci's, what model is unknown at the moment but it is said that it would complement RMAF's existing aermacci's. So im guessing its the MB-339CD's

Subangite

alexz said:
Malaysia will be getting 8 aermacci's, what model is unknown at the moment but it is said that it would complement RMAF's existing aermacci's. So im guessing its the MB-339CD's
Great news that Malaysia is purchasing new Aermacci trainer aircraft and new frigates, but with regards to their choice in ordering new Aermacci and the current batch of Hawks, wouldn't it make more sense logistically to operate just one type?

111Lover

IMO, the F/A-18E/F would be a perfect replacement for the C/Ds and an excellent compliment to the SU-30MKK. As for AWACS, I think the smaller types like the Hawkeye 2000 or Embraer-145 would be more suited to Malaysia's needs than the A-50I or E-737.

Last edited: