RMAF Future; need opinions

dreamwarrior73

Awang se said:
Because RMAF FA-18s maintainance were handled by the RMAF themselves. if i'm hear correctly, so be the SU-30MKM. it seems the RMAF have lose faith with the local defence contractors. i hope this just temporary though.
we need those local defence companies so we can stand on our own feet.

off track: the same thing happen with the NGPVs. the commision of the first 6 vessels have been delayed by the problems with the contractor.
to me it doesn't matter who does the maintenance. as long as they get the job done. in this case they didn't do a good job. that's what happened when you put personal interest above national interest.:smash

renjer

Welcome to Defencetalk, yorunotsuki. There is already some discussion on this topic on Ding's thread on the RMAF. Perhaps you would consider joining us there.

renjer

So much bad news on the RMAF lately! Hawk crashes and now the following announcement that the Sukhois will only debut in Dec 2007. I hope that does not mean actual delivery will only happen then.

Does anyone know which squadrons will operate the Sukhois? And what will be their weapons and avionics package?

At least we will get to see the new UAV at LIMA 07.

LIMA 07 On Dec 4-8
KUALA LUMPUR, June 26 (Bernama) -- The Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition 2007 (Lima 07) will be held on Dec 4-8, 2007.

Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak who announced the date Monday said he had no doubt that Lima 07 would be just as good, if not better, than all the previous exhibitions.

"The Lima show in Langkawi has been fixed for Dec 4 till Dec 8 2007 and already efforts are underway to ensure that every improvement that needs to be made will be made, and every possible measure will be taken to ensure that the event runs smoothly from all aspects," he said when launching the Aerospace Segment of Lima 07, here.

Najib also witnessed the signing of a memorandum of intention between World Aerospace Sdn Bhd and several core sponsors of the event, which is one of the premier aerospace and maritime exhibitions in the region.

"We look forward to another spectacular Lima under the new organiser, World Aerospace Sdn Bhd, for the Lima aerospace exhibition, while HW LIMA will continue to be the organiser for the Lima maritime exhibition," said Najib who is also Defence Minister.

He was certain that the commitment of all parties would result in a successful staging of the event.

Speaking to reporters later, he said Lima 07 was planned to draw a bigger response, especially with next year being "Visit Malaysia Year" and the country celebrating its 50 years of independence.

"So, we will strive to make this Lima one of the major events next year," he added.

Najib also hoped that the Royal Malaysian Air Force could display the first Malaysian-made unmanned aerial vehicle at the exhibition.

"Besides that, we also plan to take delivery of the first batch of Sukhoi aircraft from Russia and exhibit them at Lima 07 as an added attraction," he said.

-- BERNAMA

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news.php?id=205208

Subangite

Regarding the future induction of the Sukhoi Su-30MKM's in the RMAF, how do they compare with other platforms in the region? For example Indonesian and Vietnamese Su-30's and Su-27's, new RSAF F-15SG and the F16's operated by Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand.

f2000

well,our su-30mkm is comparable to f-15t.
su-30mkm is superior against indonesian f-16,su-30,vietnamese su-27/30 n also thailand f-16.

renjer

It's also significant to note that in 2 recent cases where the top possible adversary was a Su-30 both South Korea and Singapore chose the F-15 over the F-18.

swerve

Super Moderator
Aussie Digger said:
To me it makes little sense to purchase aircraft that you can't arm, support OR even fly often. Indonesia has stated it has a preferrence for Western aircraft. IMHO, it should be focused on re-capitalising it's F-16 fleet, and look to acquire a light strike/point defence aircraft from other sources (South Korea's T-50 perhaps) that it CAN support and afford.
Gaining the capability to keep the Hawks flying even when embargoed would probably be a better idea.

BTW, the Hawks continued flying, even when the F-16s were grounded, & they're capable of carrying IR guided AAMs. The T-50 is more complicated than their old Hawks, & it's already been pointed out that it contains a lot of US stuff - e.g. the engine. Not much point in replacing the Hawk with something more vulnerable to US embargos.

Otherwise, agreed.

A

Aussie Digger

Since I posted those earlier comments, it seems more important to get a quality LIFT such as Hawk Mk 127/8 in-service. Australia has operated 33 Hawk Mk 127's since around 2001 and hasn't lost 1 yet. It has also operated F/A-18 since 1982 and has only lost 4 in that entire time, with no loss of life, only aircraft.

It also seems to me RMAF operates an excessively large number of LIFT's? RAAF as I mentioned only has 33 for a combat force of 107 (F/A-18 and F-111).

Malaysia seems to have significantly more to support a smaller combat fleet???

Hence as a priority I would advocate an upgrade/re-manufacture of existing Hawks to the Mk 128 standard, rationalise the LIFT force on this platform and retire any other LIFT platform to offer training (standardised training throughout the force) and cost benefits of only operating 1 type and hopefully losing fewer through a more reliable platform...

The next step would be to improve the Air defence network with an AWACS (Erieye based on Embraer 145 would be my choice for RMAF) system an upgraded maritime patrol capability and enhanced tactical transport capability.

THEN I would advocate pursuing a fighter upgrade with the dual aims of improving capability and rationalising fleet types. I still like the dual SUm-30MKM/F/A-18E/F SH fleet with the retirement of ALL other fighter types.

Alternatively I would recommend a dual SU-30MKM/MiG-29 fleet, with upgraded MiG-29 variants (possibly SMT variant). I simply think it's wasteful to operate numerous types of combat aircraft and 2x Tactical fighters is MORE than enough.

Subangite

Aussie Digger said:
Since I posted those earlier comments, it seems more important to get a quality LIFT such as Hawk Mk 127/8 in-service. Australia has operated 33 Hawk Mk 127's since around 2001 and hasn't lost 1 yet. It has also operated F/A-18 since 1982 and has only lost 4 in that entire time, with no loss of life, only aircraft.

It also seems to me RMAF operates an excessively large number of LIFT's? RAAF as I mentioned only has 33 for a combat force of 107 (F/A-18 and F-111).

From my understanding the Hawk 127 LIF is an advanced fighter trainer, similar to the Hawk 108 that Malaysia operates. What seperates the RAAF and the RMAF in terms of Bae Hawk usage is that the latter also operates the Hawk 208.

The RMAF operates the Hawk 208, which from what I gather is more of a lightweight multirole combat fighter with emphasis on air defence, air superiority, anti-shipping, air-denial, long range interdiction, short range close air support, strike with smart weapons. The RMAF BAe Hawk 208's has the most extensive modification to the aircraft with illumination "slime" lights, wingtip AAMs and inflight refuelling. The aircraft have been involved in major long-range deployments to areas such as Sabah and the Spratly Islands.

The RAAF Hawk 127 advance jet trainer from my understanding is a dedicated trainer, which features cockpit details compatible with the Boeing F/A-18 Hornet to provide training for Australian Hornet pilots.

That said whilst the RAAF operates a vastly larger number of fighters than the RMAF, I'm assuming their deployment and operation of the Hawks is not as demanding.

Subangite

renjer said:
It's also significant to note that in 2 recent cases where the top possible adversary was a Su-30 both South Korea and Singapore chose the F-15 over the F-18.
Interesting and a very true observation. I wonder how do these 2 fighters compare, the SU-30MKM and the F-15SG?

I've read that the SU-30MK out performed the USAF F-15C in simulations.

kotay

Subangite said:
The RMAF operates the Hawk 208, which from what I gather is more of a lightweight multirole combat fighter with emphasis on air defence, air superiority, anti-shipping, air-denial, long range interdiction, short range close air support, strike with smart weapons. The RMAF BAe Hawk 208's has the most extensive modification to the aircraft with illumination "slime" lights, wingtip AAMs and inflight refuelling. The aircraft have been involved in major long-range deployments to areas such as Sabah and the Spratly Islands.
Sounds very wikid ;)

Anyway, what are "slime" lights?

Subangite

kotay said:
Sounds very wikid ;)

Anyway, what are "slime" lights?
Slime Lights are a form of night lighting used by combat aircraft if I'm not mistaken.

Whats interesting to note about the RMAF Hawks is the inflight refuelling ability, it gives the RMAF Hawks an extended range and deployment capability.

renjer

Aussie Digger said:

Subangite said:
From my understanding the Hawk 127 LIF is an advanced fighter trainer, similar to the Hawk 108 that Malaysia operates. What seperates the RAAF and the RMAF in terms of Bae Hawk usage is that the latter also operates the Hawk 208.

The RMAF operates the Hawk 208, which from what I gather is more of a lightweight multirole combat fighter with emphasis on air defence, air superiority, anti-shipping, air-denial, long range interdiction, short range close air support, strike with smart weapons.
The crucial factor here is the emphasis on being a LIF as opposed to being a LIFT. In fact, I believe it is the RAAF that was first to make this distinction. Malaysia's Hawk fleet is split into 3 squadrons with 1 in the training role while the other 2 are operational squadrons. Malaysian fighter pilots typically spend 3-4 years of their careers in the 2 operational Hawk squadrons building up their flight hours before being streamed into a MiG or Hornet squadron.

That said, the RAAF's safety record is definitely something to strive for. It would also be interesting to compare the pilot syllabus of the 2 services. There might be some clues here as to how the RMAF can achieve the 3:1 ratio of combat planes to trainers that the RAAF has.

f2000

with limited number,rmaf has overuse hawk in order to support their training modul.they need to support migs n hornet n soon su-30. rmaf have burden hawk 4 this role.

alexz

Aussie Digger said:

Large number of LIFT's?

Malaysia has only about 8 Hawk Mk108 LIFT's out of 10 delivered to support a combat force of 60plus combat aircrafts (Hawk Mk208 single seater, MiG-29N, F/A-18D, F-5E and the future Su-30MKM's).

To acheive a similar LIFT to fighter ratio of Australia, Malaysia needs about 20 LIFT aircrafts. So Malaysia needs at least 12 more LIFT's, most preferably additional Hawk's. South Korea has about 16 surviving Hawk Mk68's (hawk Mk60 with Hawk 100 wings and nose) thats probably will be replaced by the ingenious Golden Eagle soon. Maybe Malaysia could purchase the seconhand hawks from south korea and upgrade it to near Mk108 standards for a cost effective solution?

A

Aussie Digger

Subangite said:

The RAAF Hawk 127 advance jet trainer from my understanding is a dedicated trainer, which features cockpit details compatible with the Boeing F/A-18 Hornet to provide training for Australian Hornet pilots.

That said whilst the RAAF operates a vastly larger number of fighters than the RMAF, I'm assuming their deployment and operation of the Hawks is not as demanding.
It is a trainer for RAAF, but could be used for "point defence" and light strike missions if necessary. Our Hawk Mk 127's are fitted with an in-flight refuelling probe (when required) and wingtip rails for air to air missiles. They are also wired to carry a 30mm cannon and Mk 82 500lbs bombs when required.

Other weapons can no doubt be wired if necessary with the AIM-132 ASRAAM a dead set certainty to be included when the RAAF Hawk undergoes it's MLU in a few years time. I wouldn't be surprised if JDAM and some sort of data-link and EWSP (specifically a radar warning receiver) were integrated as well.

It was a version designed to match the F/A-18 as closely as possible, but that was at the specific request of RAAF. Hawk Mk 128 is the current spec trainer available and is little different from Mk 127 (more powerful engine, updated avionics etc).

As such I think it would be the best aircraft to provide an advanced trainer/light strike fighter for the RMAF.

f2000

alexz said:
Large number of LIFT's?

Malaysia has only about 8 Hawk Mk108 LIFT's out of 10 delivered to support a combat force of 60plus combat aircrafts (Hawk Mk208 single seater, MiG-29N, F/A-18D, F-5E and the future Su-30MKM's).

To acheive a similar LIFT to fighter ratio of Australia, Malaysia needs about 20 LIFT aircrafts. So Malaysia needs at least 12 more LIFT's, most preferably additional Hawk's. South Korea has about 16 surviving Hawk Mk68's (hawk Mk60 with Hawk 100 wings and nose) thats probably will be replaced by the ingenious Golden Eagle soon. Maybe Malaysia could purchase the seconhand hawks from south korea and upgrade it to near Mk108 standards for a cost effective solution?
i don't think that rmaf should buy korean's hawk.
second-hand hawk will bring problems 4rmaf to maintain n maitenance cost is also high.it easier for 2nd-hand ac to involve in accident due to its old life.
better buy the new one from bae.:rolleyes: