RMAF Future; need opinions

STURM

Some of my friends believe that the counter trade in palm oil is what enabled local commissions earned but that is just me repeating speculation on my part.
They could be right but it would be a problematic way of making money. As you’re aware; palm oil is sold at market prices and via a regulated palm oil body entity. To ensure that part of the proceeds can be used as kickbacks or commissions; the palm oil would have to be sold at a higher price and the seller and buyer would have to be in on it.

A far simpler way to make money and one with much more deniability is having local (linked) companies to act as a 3rd party; to get a “fee” for services provided/rendered. That “fee” can be shared. I’m not saying that all purchased conducted via a local company involves corruption but it does happen.

Most local companies have been a drain on resources; not providing any value added services. A few however have done well; one such company did R&D on a IR resistant paint and even exported it to ASEAN and Europe. Others perform vital services to the MAF by providing support for various types of gear.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

India Media claim that RMAF delegation will visit India to look on Tejas/LCA. Well just like any India base Media, they will 'Directly or Subtlety' shown their Tejas is better than Chinese-Pakistan JF-17.

STURM

The news has generated a bit of fuss/excitement amongst Malaysian defence enthusiasts but a RMAF technical team having a close look at Tejas is expected and unsurprising. In due course teams will also have a close look at the F/A-50 and M-346; as well as probably others.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

India Media claim that RMAF delegation will visit India to look on Tejas/LCA. Well just like any India base Media, they will 'Directly or Subtlety' shown their Tejas is better than Chinese-Pakistan JF-17.
Not that this is remotely different from any other company promoting its products and being supported by local media.

Not everything needs to be viewed through the prism of the politico-religious divide between India and Pakistan.

oldsig

Ananda

The Bunker Group
In due course teams will also have a close look at the F/A-50 and M-346; as well as probably others.
@STURM is there any hints from RMAF or Malaysian MinDef on what specifications or condition that they preferred for LCA ? Looking on Malaysian forums seems the talk for FA-50 got more support.

STURM

No its still early days. The RMAF has yet to announce anything with regards to actual specifications. All we know is what it previously announced : a common airframe to meet both LIFT and Light Attack needs. The Light Attack capability to include a air to air and air to ground/anti maritime capability.

Most local observers/enthusiasts have a preference for the F/A-50 but whether it gets selected remains to be seen.

Not too long a Malaysian Minister visited South Korea and he was hosted to a dinner by the head of KAI. A few years ago a delegation from the Defence College (including several foreign students) visited KAI’s facility where they got a look at F-50s being manufactured.

Last edited:

STURM

An extremely interesting video by a former USN pilot who was contacted by Boeing to serve as a Hornet instructor in Malaysia. He speaks of a worn out simulator during his time there (this was the Hughes one originally acquired with the Hornets and replaced with a L-3 Link one a few years ago). Interestingly he talks about flying HARM attack profiles but the RMAF is not known to be a HARM operator.

As part of the contact signed for the Hornets under FMS; a pair of Marine pilots were based at Butterworth for a year to assist in conversion and tactics (I bumped into them a couple of times). These 2 pilots flew the Hornets back to Malaysia along with RMAF crews. After a year they were replaced by another pilot; a ex Marine contracted by McDonnell Douglas.

Last edited:

STURM

The RMAF has announced that Labuan based Hawk 100s were launched to intercept 16 PLAAF Il-76s and Y-20s (detected by a radar in Sarawak) which were over the Malaysian EEZ and some 60NM away from Malaysian airspace.

The Chinese planes ignored all comms but eventually turned back. It’s a rare occasion that the RMAF publicly announces an intercept and it’s also surprising that there were 16 Chinese planes in the formation. It has not been mentioned as to where they eventually headed to.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
It’s a rare occasion that the RMAF publicly announces and intercept and it’s also surprising that there were 16 Chinese planes in the formation. It has not been mentioned as to where they eventually headed to.
16 IL-76 and Y20, seems shown of Air Mobility capabilities. Trying to shown the wholle SCS even Northern Borneo within reach of massive PLA Air Mobility reach. They should now that kind of formation will be detected by Malaysian sensors. However perhaps that's the intention.

STURM

It’s a known fact that East Malaysian airspace is well within the range of certain PLAAF aircraft based in mainland China but it remains to be seen as to where the formation was headed to and what its intentions were.

I could be mistaken of course but I don’t believe it was intended to send a political message. Neither do I believe it was intended to test the RMAF’s reaction times. The Chinese are fully aware of what air assets the RMAF has in the area; as well as the fact that Malaysian civil aviation and military radars in the area provide decent overage over the area. Also; why were there 16 planes in the formation?

Ananda, looking at the map; it’s entirely possible the Chinese formation was also picked up by radar on Natuna. The RMAF has also announced that the formation was “in an “in-trail” tactical formation at altitudes of between 23,000 and 27,000 feet” and was “detected conducting “suspicious” activity”.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Ananda, looking at the map; it’s entirely possible the Chinese formation was also picked up by radar on Natuna.
I suspect not only Natuna AB radar can track them, more importantly I suspect Supadio AB radar in Pontianak as TNI-AU main AB in Kalimantan area are also within range to track at least some of their movement. That's what I'm saying in my previous post that they're doing it openly, knowing not only Malaysian, but Brunei or even Indonesia can see.

But I also don't see it as Political positioning with ASEAN nation's only. I suspect it's more demonstration of their capabilities. It's also massage in my opinion to Western Powers and East Asian power especially Japan, and Taiwan. Demonstration on the capabilities of PLAF Air Mobility command.

Sandhi Yudha

It’s a known fact that East Malaysian airspace is well within the range of certain PLAAF aircraft based in mainland China but it remains to be seen as to where the formation was headed to and what its intentions were.

I could be mistaken of course but I don’t believe it was intended to send a political message. Neither do I believe it was intended to test the RMAF’s reaction times. The Chinese are fully aware of what air assets the RMAF has in the area; as well as the fact that Malaysian civil aviation and military radars in the area provide decent overage over the area. Also; why were there 16 planes in the formation?

Ananda, looking at the map; it’s entirely possible the Chinese formation was also picked up by radar on Natuna. The RMAF has also announced that the formation was “in an “in-trail” tactical formation at altitudes of between 23,000 and 27,000 feet” and was “detected conducting “suspicious” activity”.
It is also possible that those 16 aircrafts didn't came from the mainland but from one of (or several) the chinese military bases in the Spratly Sea. It can be a training flight, but also just a message to all surrounding countries that everything there belongs to Communist china.

STURM

Whilst it’s widely known that RMAF QRA aircraft have performed several live intercepts over the years; actually announcing and providing details on such intercepts is a rare occurrence. No doubt the RMAF - as it should - will use this incident to press its political masters on the vital need for increased spending.

The Chinese embassy has released a statement saying the planes “conducted routine flight training and “strictly abided by” international law without violating airspace of other countries”.

Meanwhile the opposition coalition has called for non partisan dialogue with the government to discuss the issue; as well the needs of the Malaysian Armed Forces. It should be ponted out that the current opposition coalition was previously the elected government for about 18 months prior to February last year

The problem here is that the opposition includes individuals who in the past had a very apathetic view on defence; the kind of people who adopt the position that large amounts of money should only be invested in the military once or if the country actually faces a serious threat and who as opposition figures never provided an alternative plan as to how the country’s defence needs could be handled more effectively.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

This programme is part of the RMAF's ‘Capability 55' plan from 2018. In this program the plan is to procure 36 LCA/FLIT platforms in two phases, with 18 aircraft set to be purchased from 2021 and the rest from 2025. The 36 aircraft are intended to equip one LIFT and two LCA squadrons. So from this first batch of 18, eight will be LIFTs to replace the grounded Aermacchi MB-339CM jet trainers, while the LCAs will replace the 18 BAe Hawk Mk 108 and Mk208 left over

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
So from this first batch of 18, eight will be LIFTs to replace the grounded Aermacchi MB-339CM jet trainers,
I suspect the first 18 will be more on LIFT while the second 18 will be more on LCA. Thus if Marhalim Blog right on TA/FA-50 still the leading candidate, then perhaps the first 18 can be TA-50 version as Indonesia and Thailand AF use, and second 18 can be FA-50 as Philippines AF use.

This as first 18 being used for replacing MB-339 and Mk 108 which eventough can be use as light fighters on secondary purpose, but primary purpose more on LIFT. While Mk 208 more on LCA purpose.

RMAF according Marhalim Blog still try to get more FA-18 C/D from some of ex Kuwaiti stocks. Not all them, seems perhaps 8-12 since other Middle East nation like Tunisia shown interest. Choosing TA/FA-50 can provide logistics foot prints improvement with FA-18 C/D especially in engine and armament support.

Sandhi Yudha

Yes in my opinion the T-50 / FA-50 will be the best solution. One type of airframe for both LIFT and LCA + using a similar engine with the F-18Ds.

Better than a JF-17 or LCA Tejas which have to be combined with another jet trainer.

STURM

No. There is no serious plan at present to get pre owned Hornets. It has been looked at but nothing firm. Both the government and the RMAF - for slightly different reasons - are extremely reluctant to go down the pre owned route.

For the RMAF; it has a plan and wants to follow through with it; avoiding any distractions or drain of resources. In addition to LCAs/LIFTs: the list includes a batch of MALE UASs, a pair of MPAs, the delayed
C-130 upgrade; the Nuri replacement; followed by MRCAs in a few years. Naturally there are also other programmes being implemented; i.e. fitting a common data link to the Hornets and Flankers; overhaul of the Hornets in Australia, etc.

Back to the LCAs/LIFTs; given that the RMAF has the practice of acquiring flight simulators for midterms if the aircraft types operated; it’s expected that a simulator will also eventually be acquired for the LCA/LIFTs. Apart from the LCA/LIFT tender; a tender has also been issued for a single search/surveillance radar.

On another note the first batch of pilots who underwent LIFT training in Canada by the International Test Pilots School, using L-39s- graduated some weeks ago. Prior to LIFT training the International Test Pilots School had been contracted for a number of Weapons Training/Tactics courses; conducted both in Malaysia and Canada.

Last edited: