RMAF Future; need opinions

STURM

The RMAF has released pics of its first launch of a KH-31. Although initial reports mentioned the RMAF only ordering the 'A' anti-ship version it has has been confirmed that it also bought the 'P' anti-radiation version. The launches were conducted in the South China sea on target barges.

STURM

A pair of RMAF C-130Hs and a A400M have deployed to Indonesia; carrying humanitarian aid and equipment. Due to Palu's runway suffering some damage, the Indonesians placed restrictions on the types of aircraft that can land there. As a result, the A400M flew to Balikpapan [in Kalimantan] and its cargo was ferried to Palu by C130Hs. The RMAF has announced that a pair of EC725s will also be deployed.

Attachments

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
In June 2019, it was reported that the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) is said to be on the market for a Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) to augment its existing ‘heavy’ fighter fleet of Boeing F/A-18 Hornets and Sukhoi SU-30 Flanker (see: Assessing Malaysia’s Light Combat Aircraft Options - Asian Military Review). The LCA, slated for delivery in 2021-2022, is part of the RMAF’s ‘Capability 55’ transformation roadmap aimed at sustaining the service’s capabilities up to 2055.

The tender for the Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) utility helos has restarted on 11 Sep 2019 at the Kota Kinabalu naval base. Only companies who sent representatives are eligible to bid for the tender, was reissued and closing on 16 Oct 2019. RMN chief Adm. Reza Sany previously said they were looking for three utility helicopters, to be based at ESSCOM AOR for troop transport and utility roles. He said the budget allocated for the program was RM220 million: Maritime Operations Helicopter Tender - Malaysian Defence

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Russia and Malaysia discuss MiG-35, Yak-130 supplies

I put this in here also, seems looking on Malaysian forums there are some interest within Malaysian Administration on possible offer from Russia on trade off between their Mig 29 with Mig 35.

Well, Mig 29 procured under DR M previous administration. So potential trade off with Mig 35 is possibly in my opinion.
Remarkable...i thought the Malaysians were not that satisfied with the MiG-29N. A more logic decision would be the Su-30SME or Su-35, thats logistically easier and these have similar engines.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
The RMAF will send its eight Boeing F/A-18Ds to Australia where they will undergo depot-level maintenance work in pairs at the Boeing Australia facility at RAAF Williamtown. The last time the RMAF Hornets underwent depot-level maintenance work was from 2011 to 2015 and the Hornets also received Boeing JHMC, integration with AIM-9X Sidewinder and JDAM and as well as a new targetting pod, the ATFLIR. Due to cost concerns, the APG-73 radar will be retained instead of being upgraded to an AESA Radar. Oz Maintenance Work For Hornets - Malaysian Defence

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

I think this is the first time that an all-american maritime surveillance package will be installed in an CN235. Wait...ive to check first about the USCG CN235s...

Edit: It seems that a large part of the equipment is US-made. The HC-144A uses electronic systems on the Mission System Pallet roll-on, roll-off electronics suite from Lockheed-Martin, that connects to the aircraft's systems upon installation. I can not find what exactly these sensors and other equipment are.

Last edited:

Antipode

Some very interesting footage including the live launch of a R-77 and the use of TALDs.

Both these videos are in Malay and there no are subtitles but are worth watching.

Documentary on the RMAF's A400Ms.

The footage showing the Shukoi SU-30MKM fleet in action is really great! Very extensive. Indeed worth it, beautiful birds.

Salud