RMAF Future; need opinions

STURM

The RMAF has released pics of its first launch of a KH-31. Although initial reports mentioned the RMAF only ordering the 'A' anti-ship version it has has been confirmed that it also bought the 'P' anti-radiation version. The launches were conducted in the South China sea on target barges.

STURM

A pair of RMAF C-130Hs and a A400M have deployed to Indonesia; carrying humanitarian aid and equipment. Due to Palu's runway suffering some damage, the Indonesians placed restrictions on the types of aircraft that can land there. As a result, the A400M flew to Balikpapan [in Kalimantan] and its cargo was ferried to Palu by C130Hs. The RMAF has announced that a pair of EC725s will also be deployed.

Attachments

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
In June 2019, it was reported that the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) is said to be on the market for a Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) to augment its existing ‘heavy’ fighter fleet of Boeing F/A-18 Hornets and Sukhoi SU-30 Flanker (see: Assessing Malaysia’s Light Combat Aircraft Options - Asian Military Review). The LCA, slated for delivery in 2021-2022, is part of the RMAF’s ‘Capability 55’ transformation roadmap aimed at sustaining the service’s capabilities up to 2055.

The tender for the Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) utility helos has restarted on 11 Sep 2019 at the Kota Kinabalu naval base. Only companies who sent representatives are eligible to bid for the tender, was reissued and closing on 16 Oct 2019. RMN chief Adm. Reza Sany previously said they were looking for three utility helicopters, to be based at ESSCOM AOR for troop transport and utility roles. He said the budget allocated for the program was RM220 million: Maritime Operations Helicopter Tender - Malaysian Defence

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Russia and Malaysia discuss MiG-35, Yak-130 supplies

I put this in here also, seems looking on Malaysian forums there are some interest within Malaysian Administration on possible offer from Russia on trade off between their Mig 29 with Mig 35.

Well, Mig 29 procured under DR M previous administration. So potential trade off with Mig 35 is possibly in my opinion.
Remarkable...i thought the Malaysians were not that satisfied with the MiG-29N. A more logic decision would be the Su-30SME or Su-35, thats logistically easier and these have similar engines.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
The RMAF will send its eight Boeing F/A-18Ds to Australia where they will undergo depot-level maintenance work in pairs at the Boeing Australia facility at RAAF Williamtown. The last time the RMAF Hornets underwent depot-level maintenance work was from 2011 to 2015 and the Hornets also received Boeing JHMC, integration with AIM-9X Sidewinder and JDAM and as well as a new targetting pod, the ATFLIR. Due to cost concerns, the APG-73 radar will be retained instead of being upgraded to an AESA Radar. Oz Maintenance Work For Hornets - Malaysian Defence

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

I think this is the first time that an all-american maritime surveillance package will be installed in an CN235. Wait...ive to check first about the USCG CN235s...

Edit: It seems that a large part of the equipment is US-made. The HC-144A uses electronic systems on the Mission System Pallet roll-on, roll-off electronics suite from Lockheed-Martin, that connects to the aircraft's systems upon installation. I can not find what exactly these sensors and other equipment are.

Last edited:

Antipode

Some very interesting footage including the live launch of a R-77 and the use of TALDs.

Both these videos are in Malay and there no are subtitles but are worth watching.

Documentary on the RMAF's A400Ms.

The footage showing the Shukoi SU-30MKM fleet in action is really great! Very extensive. Indeed worth it, beautiful birds.

Salud

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Add on this, on other Media RMAF Chief already state that they will not upgrade Hawk 200/100. Stating new LCA/LIFT will soon take over the role. Question now which one ?

Malaysian Media and Forums already talk on JF-17 will be the choices, although I also see enough speculation in Malaysian Media for FA-50.

In my opinion they should go with FA-50 as FA/TA-50 family usage in ASEAN already spread enough in Indonesia, Philippines and Thailand. Also more importantly it used similar engine with their Hornet. Somehow Political diplomacy for strengthen relationship with Pakistan also put emphasis on JF-17. At least that the way I read it, from Malaysian Media and Forums.

Sandhi Yudha

Add on this, on other Media RMAF Chief already state that they will not upgrade Hawk 200/100. Stating new LCA/LIFT will soon take over the role. Question now which one ?

Malaysian Media and Forums already talk on JF-17 will be the choices, although I also see enough speculation in Malaysian Media for FA-50.

In my opinion they should go with FA-50 as FA/TA-50 family usage in ASEAN already spread enough in Indonesia, Philippines and Thailand. Also more importantly it used similar engine with their Hornet. Somehow Political diplomacy for strengthen relationship with Pakistan also put emphasis on JF-17. At least that the way I read it, from Malaysian Media and Forums.
The GE F404-102 engines are made under licence by Samsung Techwin, and is very similar to the engines of Malaysia's F-18D. So its proven quality and logistically easier (and thus cheaper) for TUDM to order the T-50.

The JF-17 is a chinese-Pakistani aircraft with a Russian RD-93 engine which is a modified RD-33. This RD-33 is installed in the MiG-29. The MiG-29N is not anymore in use by the TUDM, besides that its not clear if the RD-93 is completely made in Russia or (partly) made in china.

So unless they want to buy the JF-17 for political reasons, in my opinion the T-50 is a safer choice.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
The JF-17 is a chinese-Pakistani aircraft with a Russian RD-93 engine which is a modified RD-33.
The way I take conclusion from Malaysian Media and Online Forums, JF-17 attraction more to Political consideration by some Political Factions in KL that want better political standing between Malaysia and Pakistan.

Some in Malaysian forums talk to co-op with KAI to get into their FA/TA-50 production chain, considering they want to aim at least 36 LCA. It can be done, and it should be better Production chain than JF-17. This's just on the export distribution so far.

I still see the prospect on FA/TA-50 is better than JF-17. Mostly due to Western based system that it's used, compared to Chinese/Russian based system on JF-17. Not on the capabilities of JF-17 toward FA-50. I do believe that both have similar potential, however for AF like RMAF, they should have more familiarity with Western based system.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
"As such, our combat readiness has deteriorated and is low compared with other FPDA members......and has resulted in Malaysia just becoming a mere observer in FPDA air and sea manoeuvres, even in our own territory." Not sure how much to trust this article but it sounds like the East-West mix is hurting logistics badly.

STURM

Achieving greater commonality and reducing the logistical/support footprint is a priority for all 3 armed services and is one of the main goals of the RMN’s 5/15 and RMAF’s CAP 55. I’ve been very critical of both plans; both PR exercises driven by the politics of the period. Both were also unrealistic but one thing I wholly agree with was the clear will and intent to reduce the logistical/support footprint by achieving greater commonality.

The service which has achieved the most commonality is the RMN. It has standardised on a main gun; a secondary gun, trackers; as well as other stuff. This is also a big reason why the RMN is so reluctant to get Chinese gear and why the next batch of LMS’s will not be sourced from China. Also a reason why apart from
AK-101s and underwater dart guns; the RMN has never sourced anything from Russia and why it has also declined various offers of pre owned hulls from Western sources.

Having a mix fleet of Su-30s, F/A-18s and Hawks has been a major strain on RMAF resources but the retirement of the Fulcrums and F-5s have eased things somewhat. It’s also for this reason that the RMAF has no interest in getting a LCA from Pakistan, China or Russia. The long term goal is to operate a single MRCA type and a single platform for both the LCA/LIFT roles.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Light Combat Aircraft and other priorities — Part 1

I still see the prospect on FA/TA-50 is better than JF-17. Mostly due to Western based system that it's used, compared to Chinese/Russian based system on JF-17. Not on the capabilities of JF-17 toward FA-50. I do believe that both have similar potential, however for AF like RMAF, they should have more familiarity with Western based system.
1. The RMAF has a requirement for a Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) that will take over the fighter lead-in trainer (FLIT) from the Hawks and six MB-339s. The leading contenders include KAI F/A-50, the Leonardo M346, the Pakistani-Chinese JF-17, the Yak-130, and even the Saab Gripen.

2. The FA/TA-50 is certainly an option from a platform centric standpoint. But the Italians still have a chance with the lower cost M-346 FA for Malaysia’s upcoming LCA program; which is powered by two Honeywell F124-GA-200 turbofan engines and has an option of air-to-air refuelling. Existing variants of the M-346 family include the M-346 Advanced Jet Trainer (AJT), multi-role M-346FT (Fighter Trainer) and M-346FA (Fighter Attack).

3. I suspect that Pakistani-Chinese JF-17, and the Saab Gripen are not suited as LCA, as they are too high end to replace Hawks and MB-339s. The M-346 family is already at the margins of affordability from an operating cost and CPFH standpoint.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Light Combat Aircraft and other priorities — Part 2

4. Malaysia has a sore need for more maritime patrol aircraft (MPA), which will be partly met by the conversion of three of the RMAF’s seven CN235 transports by PTDI.
(a) The mission systems integration will be done by two American companies, as the U.S. is paying for it. These MPA will not have an offensive role against surface vessels or submarines.​
(b) Given the growing capabilities of MALE UAVs possessed by Singapore and Indonesia, a MALE UAV for maritime surveillance, with a SAR /GMTI radar capability, is on the priority list for the RMAF. The likely selection of the Hermes 900 (which has a modular internal mission bay and can drop sonobuoys) by Singapore shows how much this capability space has grown to augment classic MPA patrols.​
...but one thing I wholly agree with was the clear will and intent to reduce the logistical/support footprint by achieving greater commonality.

Having a mix fleet of Su-30s, F/A-18s and Hawks has been a major strain on RMAF resources but the retirement of the Fulcrums and F-5s have eased things somewhat. It’s also for this reason that the RMAF has no interest in getting a LCA from Pakistan, China or Russia. The long term goal is to operate a single MRCA type and a single platform for both the LCA/LIFT roles.
5. Agreed. Thanks for providing context to the quote below:

"...The FPDA's biggest contribution to Malaysia thus far is to keep a "straightjacket" procurement policy in deciding the right instruments for our armed forces.​
Over the years, Malaysian political leaders broke away from conventional norms of democratic countries in buying Western- military hardware, and has shift defence procurements to eastern bloc countries.​
This decision was rampant during prime minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad's years, for personal reasons only known to him.​
As such, our combat readiness has deteriorated and is low compared with other FPDA members. This posed cooperation challenges when it comes to planning and carrying out military manoeuvres and exercises, and has resulted in Malaysia just becoming a mere observer in FPDA air and sea manoeuvres, even in our own territory.​
Having a different platform for our strategic assets puts the armed forces at a disadvantage in interoperability and commonality of operations, with our defence partners that further impacted the long-term strategic plan of capacity building for our armed forces. We have fallen so much behind in having the right air defence assets when we start buying the eastern-built aircraft in the 1990s.​
Fortunately, with Australia heading the Headquarters Integrated Area Defence System in Butterworth, the Malaysian poor aerial defence is plugged by an additional squadron of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF)-F/A-18F and PC3 Orion that were stationed in Butterworth through Op Gateway.
Even though the FPDA could not and should not dictate how we decide our defence procurement programme, by being active in the FPDA's related exercises, Malaysian armed forces and the Defence Ministry will always be guided by the true north of proven military needs and stop procuring different type of assets outside the FPDA ambit...”​
wrote Ahmad Syah Ejaz Ismail on 13 Mar 2021 in the NST. The things he wrote is quite revealing coming from a defence ministry official, working as a special officer with the Deputy Defence Minister.
Remarkable...i thought the Malaysians were not that satisfied with the MiG-29N. A more logic decision would be the Su-30SME or Su-35, thats logistically easier and these have similar engines.
6. The Malaysians have said no more Russian aircraft buys. East meets West does not work for the RMAF, as they need to enhance interoperability with other FPDA partners (rather than go with aircraft from China or Russia).

7. I understand that additional Classic Hornets are being sought secondhand (likely from Kuwait) to grow the fleet beyond 8, for the RMAF. A prior stated requirement for a high-end multi-role combat aircraft (MRCA) led Western manufacturers into expensive, high-profile sales campaigns before Malaysia finally admitted there was no money for them. A plan to upgrade the Hawks has also been dropped. The RMAF needs Western manufacturers and their FPDA partners to take them seriously by improving their interoperability over time; with more work and less Dr M type of political bullish!t, during platform selection. IMHO, no Russian or Chinese MRCA for the Malaysians.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Light Combat Aircraft and other priorities — Part 2

4. Malaysia has a sore need for more maritime patrol aircraft (MPA), which will be partly met by the conversion of three of the RMAF’s seven CN235 transports by PTDI.
(a) The mission systems integration will be done by two American companies, as the U.S. is paying for it. These MPA will not have an offensive role against surface vessels or submarines.​
(b) Given the growing capabilities of MALE UAVs possessed by Singapore and Indonesia, a MALE UAV for maritime surveillance, with a SAR /GMTI radar capability, is on the priority list for the RMAF. The likely selection of the Hermes 900 (which has a modular internal mission bay and can drop sonobuoys) by Singapore shows how much this capability space has grown to augment classic MPA patrols.​

5. Agreed. Thanks for providing context to the quote below:

"...The FPDA's biggest contribution to Malaysia thus far is to keep a "straightjacket" procurement policy in deciding the right instruments for our armed forces.​
Over the years, Malaysian political leaders broke away from conventional norms of democratic countries in buying Western- military hardware, and has shift defence procurements to eastern bloc countries.​
This decision was rampant during prime minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad's years, for personal reasons only known to him.​
As such, our combat readiness has deteriorated and is low compared with other FPDA members. This posed cooperation challenges when it comes to planning and carrying out military manoeuvres and exercises, and has resulted in Malaysia just becoming a mere observer in FPDA air and sea manoeuvres, even in our own territory.​
Having a different platform for our strategic assets puts the armed forces at a disadvantage in interoperability and commonality of operations, with our defence partners that further impacted the long-term strategic plan of capacity building for our armed forces. We have fallen so much behind in having the right air defence assets when we start buying the eastern-built aircraft in the 1990s.​
Fortunately, with Australia heading the Headquarters Integrated Area Defence System in Butterworth, the Malaysian poor aerial defence is plugged by an additional squadron of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF)-F/A-18F and PC3 Orion that were stationed in Butterworth through Op Gateway.
Even though the FPDA could not and should not dictate how we decide our defence procurement programme, by being active in the FPDA's related exercises, Malaysian armed forces and the Defence Ministry will always be guided by the true north of proven military needs and stop procuring different type of assets outside the FPDA ambit...”​
wrote Ahmad Syah Ejaz Ismail on 13 Mar 2021 in the NST. The things he wrote is quite revealing coming from a defence ministry official, working as a special officer with the Deputy Defence Minister.

6. The Malaysians have said no more Russian aircraft buys. East meets West does not work for the RMAF, as they need to enhance interoperability with other FPDA partners (rather than go with aircraft from China or Russia).

7. I understand that additional Classic Hornets are being sought secondhand (likely from Kuwait) to grow the fleet beyond 8, for the RMAF. A prior stated requirement for a high-end multi-role combat aircraft (MRCA) led Western manufacturers into expensive, high-profile sales campaigns before Malaysia finally admitted there was no money for them. A plan to upgrade the Hawks has also been dropped. The RMAF needs Western manufacturers and their FPDA partners to take them seriously by improving their interoperability over time; with more work and less Dr M type of political bullish!t, during platform selection. IMHO, no Russian or Chinese MRCA for the Malaysians.
With a fleet of 8 F-18Ds I actually do not understand why Malaysia didn't order new/second hands F-18s earlier . I mean, they are not the only FPDA-country with F-18s, and 8 is just a half squadron.

Last edited by a moderator:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
With a fleet of 8 F-18Ds I actually do not understand why Malaysia didn't order new/second hands F-18s earlier . I mean, they are not the only FPDA-country with F-18s.
Production of the Classic Hornet C- and D- models ended in 2000; with the Finnish Air Force and US Marines talking the last delivery of the type in Aug 2000.

I suspect that under Dr M’s and Badawi’s UMNO (1981 to 2009), back then, when Classic Hornets was still in production, Malaysian defence procurement was about which local agent gets paid. Local agent payment under a FMS order generates zero local commissions.

The answer to your Qn is National Interest — which is the same as Dr M’s group of cronies’ interest. The MiG-29s order was a great way for generating local commissions.

I also strongly suspect that in 2003, when the Su-30MKM was selected by the RMAF, the operation of National Interest was at work again.

Last edited:

STURM

Malaysian defence procurement was about which local agent gets paid. Local agent payment under a FMS order generates zero local commissions.
Not really ...

Dr. M linked big ticket purchases with various other factors which he thought/hoped would benefit the country. His priority was not in the RMAF getting a platform which actually suited its long term operational needs but on various factors - that was the logic/method behind the madness.

As I’ve pointed out in “Malaysian Defence” how the UAS, MPA and LCA programmes are implemented will provide indication of whether things are changing.

On the Fulcrums; various factors led to it - (1) The hope that it would lead to a new level of trade relations with the Russian Federation (2) The Russian offer to establish a MRO facility (3) Russian willingness to accept part payment in palm oi.

(b) Given the growing capabilities of MALE UAVs possessed by Singapore and Indonesia, a MALE UAV for maritime surveillance, with a SAR /GMTI radar capability, is on the priority list for the RMAF
MALEs have long been on the wish list and is driven by the operational need to monitor the vast maritime domain in the South China Sea as well other other areas.

Years of operating UASs (albeit smaller ones under a leasing basis); plus the use of commercial ones to monitor compliance of COVID related restrictions and Ops Benteng which is intended to safeguard borders against illegal entry; has only further convinced the MAF on the vital need for an organic capability.

On pre owned Hornets; at the moment neither the RMAF or the government is keen on pre owned Hornets; both for different reasons. For the RMAF; it’s concern is that going down this route might lead to further political delays in the future on the part of the government to fund MRCAs and costs/support issues with a platform that has aged.

With a fleet of 8 F-18Ds I actually do not understand why Malaysia didn't order new/second hands F-18s earlier . I mean, they are not the only FPDA-country with F-18s, and 8 is just a half squadron
A RFI was issued for 24 Cs in 1997 but then came the 1997 Economic Crisis. When cash was available in the 2002/2003 period; RMAF preference was for the Super Hornet but politics led to the Su-30.

On the Fulcrums at an operational level there weren’t many complains. Pilots appreciated its capabilities whilst appreciating the fact that it had certain limitations. The main gripe was on a support level. The RMAF was flying them with the same regularity as its Western types and this led to long term issues on account of the TBO/MTBF of the engines and other key components.

Another issue was that the RMAF found itself dealing with Russian suppliers in the chaotic post Cold War period; things eventually improved but not to total satisfaction.

As such, our combat readiness has deteriorated and is low compared with other FPDA members

This is no revelation when one takes into account that other FPDA members devote far more resources into their militaries and that their respective governments place far more importance/focus on defence.

and has resulted in Malaysia just becoming a mere observer in FPDA air and sea manoeuvres, even in our own territory

The MAF quite obviously is unable to bring the same level of capabilities as other FPDA members to exercises but it does deploy significant assets and participates fully in all exercises. To say that it has been reduced to the level of an “observer” is incorrect and misleading.

the Malaysian poor aerial defence is plugged by an additional squadron of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF)-F/A-18F and PC3 Orion that were stationed in Butterworth through Op Gateway

It doesn’t “plug” anything as RAAF Hornets are mainly in Penang during exercises or during transits to/from the Middle East. When they are here they do not supplement existing RMAF assets in safeguarding national airspace. In the period following the withdrawal of permanently based RAAF assets in Penang; the Australian government did announce that it was considering 16 week Hornet deployments.

Malaysia does benefit from P-3 deployments as intel/info gathered over the Melaka Straits and South China Sea is shared; at the discretion of the Australians and not all these sorties (as I’ve been told) are under the operational command of Commander HQIADS. If required the P-3s can and do assist in SAR efforts.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
On the Fulcrums; various factors led to it - (1) The hope that it would lead to a new level of trade relations with the Russian Federation (2) The Russian offer to establish a MRO facility (3) Russian willingness to accept part payment in palm oil.
Thank you for the comprehensive reply — which I agree with. Some of my friends believe that the counter trade in palm oil is what enabled local commissions earned but that is just me repeating speculation on my part.