PRC Peoples Liberation Army Navy

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I expect this is not another 1 april newsarticle.
With such naval projects its not more than logic that surrounding countries are also building or planning their own aircraft carriers or 'aircraft carrying destroyers'.

And it is unlikely that thiswill be China's last aircraft carrier.
No it's not an April fools article. H I Sutton is a respected writer.

Yes there will be more carriers. The Type 004 is to be the CVN, but I remember reading something earlier this year that the CVN may be on hold. However that wouldn't preclude them from building more of the 003 Class because once the first of class is underway, they can build more with the project risks decreasing with each build. If they intend using the 003 hull for the CVN, then the main risks will be around the nuclear power plant and drive train.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Bit concerned how accurate that story is given he appears to think that PANG will be the same size as Ford; it won’t. 75k tons versus 100k. Still, it’s a major development for the PLAN although it’s likely to take some years after delivery before she’s anywhere near capable of serious combat Ops.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Bit concerned how accurate that story is given he appears to think that PANG will be the same size as Ford; it won’t. 75k tons versus 100k. Still, it’s a major development for the PLAN although it’s likely to take some years after delivery before she’s anywhere near capable of serious combat Ops.
Well we don't know that it's going to be 75k tonnes so he could be close to the mark or he could be a country mile out. It's only a guesstimate that it will be 75k tonnes. Like you say it's a major development and will take time for the PLAN to work up and learn how to use properly. For a start they are going to have to learn how to use CATOBAR properly and to use their EMALS. It's unsure if they even have it working yet. The USN are still having problems with their one.

weaponwh

Well we don't know that it's going to be 75k tonnes so he could be close to the mark or he could be a country mile out. It's only a guesstimate that it will be 75k tonnes. Like you say it's a major development and will take time for the PLAN to work up and learn how to use properly. For a start they are going to have to learn how to use CATOBAR properly and to use their EMALS. It's unsure if they even have it working yet. The USN are still having problems with their one.
wait i thought its suppose to be steam catapult for this one. the next one maybe EMAL

Ananda

The Bunker Group
i thought its suppose to be steam catapult for this one. the next one maybe EMAL
I believe there's information on Chinese Forums and online media (forgot the link), that PLAN already stop Steam Catapult experiment. They're choosing to focus on EMALS.

This if not mistaken based on satellite photos where the experiment steam catapult being dismantle and only EMALS one left on.

IPCR_quad

First Type 075 amphibious assault ship, third Type 055 destroyer, and another Type 094 nuclear powered ballistic missile sub commissioned.

IPCR_quad

Here's an interesting article comparing the upcoming 003 carrier with Ford class. Unlike 001 and 002, having EMALS enables 003 to operate fixed wing AWACs, in particular the upcoming KJ-600.

Last edited:

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
This was posted and commented on some time ago; see posts numbered #620 et seq.

Redlands18

Here's an interesting article comparing the upcoming 003 carrier with Ford class. Personally I think it's overblown. 003 is likely conventionally powered, considering China has shown little interest outside Yellow Sea, East China Sea, South China Sea. Conventional power provides sufficient range to cover these seas without the extravagant cost of nuclear power. 003 is expected to have EMALS which enables it to operate fixed wing AWACs, in particular the upcoming KJ-600.

Unlimited range on a Nuclear Powered vessel whether a Carrier or a Submarine is a fallacy. With regards to CVNs their endurance is restricted to how much Aviation fuel it can carry, in regards to all Vessels irrespective of propulsion system endurance is restricted to the amount of perishables it can carry between resupply.
You are being very naive if you think China is showing no interest outside of the Seas to there immediate East and South, never heard of the Belt and Road initiative?
Here's an interesting article comparing the upcoming 003 carrier with Ford class. Unlike 001 and 002, having EMALS enables 003 to operate fixed wing AWACs, in particular the upcoming KJ-600.

can i make a friendly suggestion? Find the threads that you are interested in and read through them, its a great education from the Defpros especially, and you don’t end up posting stuff that has already been posted,

Highlighted Green text added by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Stampede

First Type 075 amphibious assault ship, third Type 055 destroyer, and another Type 094 nuclear powered ballistic missile sub commissioned.

The Chinese do put on a good military parade.
Didn't see their version of " Interesting dance moves" a' la HMAS Supply.

With Eight LHD's in production maybe one for the next commissioning service!!!!!!

Regards S

IPCR_quad

The Chinese do put on a good military parade.
Didn't see their version of " Interesting dance moves" a' la HMAS Supply.

With Eight LHD's in production maybe one for the next commissioning service!!!!!!

Regards S
One thing interesting to notice is the first Type 075 is named Hainan which is a province. Type 001 and Type 002 carriers are both named after provinces. Chinese destroyers and frigates are all named after cities. All previous Chinese amphibious assault ships are named after mountains. This suggests Type 075 is more or less considered a carrier rather than an amphibious assault ship. If Type 075 is to be retrofitted with EMALS during refit it can also function as a UCAV carrier carrying say Wing Loong I/II attack drones.

Last edited:

Stampede

The pace of Chinese ship building is staggering.
These three vessels are world class in size.
Time will tell if world class in capability.

The type 55 is a beast of a vessel with some eight in the water today in various levels of fit out, with an expectation that this number will double in the years ahead.

The type 075 LHD will be getting on to parity in numbers with the USN Navys LHD's minus the America class.
Eight LHD's may not even be the eventual total number in the future. This class may evolve into a larger Class of vessel.

The PLAN is massive in size today and it's momentum in capability show's no sign of stopping.

I certainly see a parallel with the Ming Treasure fleets of six hundred years ago.

Maritime forces ( Naval / Coast Guard / "government" Fishing Fleets ) all combined to exhort influence within China's region of influence.

The question will be how far does that influence extend.

Regards S

IPCR_quad

The pace of Chinese ship building is staggering.
These three vessels are world class in size.
Time will tell if world class in capability.

The type 55 is a beast of a vessel with some eight in the water today in various levels of fit out, with an expectation that this number will double in the years ahead.

The type 075 LHD will be getting on to parity in numbers with the USN Navys LHD's minus the America class.
Eight LHD's may not even be the eventual total number in the future. This class may evolve into a larger Class of vessel.

The PLAN is massive in size today and it's momentum in capability show's no sign of stopping.

I certainly see a parallel with the Ming Treasure fleets of six hundred years ago.

Maritime forces ( Naval / Coast Guard / "government" Fishing Fleets ) all combined to exhort influence within China's region of influence.

The question will be how far does that influence extend.

Regards S
Type 055 is basically a new breed of destroyers analogous to the dreadnoughts of the early 1900s. The upcoming Arleigh Burke Flight III should be similar in size.

Redlands18

One thing interesting to notice is the first Type 075 is named Hainan which is a province. Type 001 and Type 002 carriers are both named after provinces. Chinese destroyers and frigates are all named after cities. All previous Chinese amphibious assault ships are named after mountains. This suggests Type 075 is more or less considered a carrier rather than an amphibious assault ship. If Type 075 is to be retrofitted with EMALS during refit it can also function as a UCAV carrier carrying say Wing Loong I/II attack drones.
They would also need to be fitted with an Angled Flight Deck, Arrester landing Gear and some type of visual Landing aids, all of which are found on CATOBAR and STOBAR Carriers, you are starting to see a massive rebuild here that hasn’t been done since the 1950s, would probably be better off building light Carriers from scratch.
I would doubt very much that China has any intention of fitting Catapults of any type to the Type 075.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
This suggests Type 075 is more or less considered a carrier rather than an amphibious assault ship. If Type 075 is to be retrofitted with EMALS during refit it can also function as a UCAV
Don't need EMALS if only for drone carriers. It's same thing with Turkish plan to make their LHD as drone carriers. More than that, China need to build their own VTOL to make it as Light Carrier.

There's rumours that China either try to attract Russia to revive YAK 141 project, or even try to buy up YAK 141 blue print and research result. Will see if there's substantive prove of China's effort on VTOL development.

IPCR_quad

Don't need EMALS if only for drone carriers. It's same thing with Turkish plan to make their LHD as drone carriers. More than that, China need to build their own VTOL to make it as Light Carrier.

There's rumours that China either try to attract Russia to revive YAK 141 project, or even try to buy up YAK 141 blue print and research result. Will see if there's substantive prove of China's effort on VTOL development.
Perhaps a better choice for Type 075 is Ka-52K attack helicopter. It is readily available and can be armed with Kh-35U anti ship / land attack missiles. It can also coordinate with Ka-31 AWAC helicopters which Chinese navy already operates for target acquisition and designation.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Perhaps a better choice for Type 075 is Ka-52K attack helicopter. It is readily available and can be armed with Kh-35U anti ship / land attack missiles. It can also coordinate with Ka-31 AWAC helicopters which Chinese navy already operates for target acquisition and designation.

But why would the PLAN go with that option if it was looking at a STOVL option for the Type 075 LHD? They are not the same.

ragingsheep

It's also a conscript navy and I believe that the Soviet Navy had problems with their senior rates because they didn't have the experience, length of service or technical knowledge that a senior rate in a western navy would. So the tasks that many western senior rates performed would in the Soviet Navy be performed by officers. Since the PLA structured their forces along similar lines, I think that the same may be true in the PLAN. Perhaps @Feanor can confirm whether or not I am correct in my view of the senior rates of the Soviet Navy.
Sorry if this is a bit late but the PLA and it's branches are conscript in name only. They have more than enough full-time volunteers that there's no need for conscription. There is a draft that males entering military age need to register for (similar to Selective Service in the US) and there's been significant effort in recent years to improve the quality of recruits and personnel and also the organisation along more Western lines.

(Note that I'm not trying to make a quality comparison between PLA and Western military personnel)

Sandhi Yudha

An interesting image, taken near a submarineyard in Wuhan, recently appeared on te internet.
The most visible remarkable thing is the sail on the new chinese submarine, like it is straight taken from the Swedish A26 Viking/Blekinge-design.