Philippine Navy Discussion and Updates

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
Hopefully with the Dallas the Philippines get the Phalanx CIWS which can be cross decked with the other cutters... If necessary, I suspect the same can be said with the SPS 40 radar as well... Things aren't as bleak as some imply concerning such equipment with the Hamilton if the Dallas is transferred with them...
It is very likely that the SPS-40 long range radar and Phalanx CIWS will be included with the upcoming transfer of the USCGC Dallas together with any other major communications and sensors , also there is currently a negotiation underway to return and deliver back all the major equiptments that were removed from the former Hamilton cutter prior to it's transfer last year to the PN due to the Philippine governments request ...

Last edited:

Sea Toby

What would the SPS-40 radar provide?

Long range 2D air Search., with just bearings and distances.

Good enough to Search and Manually track the embarked helicopter at longer ranges than the shorter range MK 92 CAS radars with automatic Tracking capabilities. Good enough to Search, Manually track, and Manually guide interceptors to a suspect drug traffic aircraft.

It's not good enough to be used to Track and Guide air to surface missiles with a Mk92 fire control system at anything. It's not good enough to Search and Track incoming missiles either.

I doubt the Philippine Navy will ever place SM1 or SM2 surface to air missiles aboard these ships, and if they did they would want a SPS-49 radar with MK 92 Mod 6 fire control system.
If Sea Sparrows missiles are placed aboard, which I believe is more likely, they would need to install MK91 fire control system and radars instead, or upgrade the MK 92 to Mod 12, again requiring a SPS-49 radar.
Any other Guided surface to air missiles would require different fire control systems and radars.

RAM, SeaRam, and Phalanx CIWS don't need a SPS-40 radar if they are the choice for air defense. Neither does Harpoon surface to surface missiles. In fact, the existing MK 92 Mod 1 fire control system is capable to launch them as is, all that's needed is the missiles and launchers.

So the SPS-40 provides very little additional war-fighting capability.

Acadiana Pirate

I believe the Philippine Navy will use these ex-Hamiltons to have constant presence in these area especially the area from the Malampaya gas fields to the Mischief Reef area to provide some deterrence and constant watch of the Chinese Navy looking for opportunity to quickly steal a reef or a shoal. The Reed Bank area will be the next flash point as PLAN was seen with 3 warships just last month. They know this is where the next gold mine will be

The Italian frigates Maestrale/Soldati that the DOD looked at last week will provide the ready war material they needed badly if the deal could be pushed through.

rip

Good enough to Search and Manually track the embarked helicopter at longer ranges than the shorter range MK 92 CAS radars with automatic Tracking capabilities. Good enough to Search, Manually track, and Manually guide interceptors to a suspect drug traffic aircraft.

It's not good enough to be used to Track and Guide air to surface missiles with a Mk92 fire control system at anything. It's not good enough to Search and Track incoming missiles either.

I doubt the Philippine Navy will ever place SM1 or SM2 surface to air missiles aboard these ships, and if they did they would want a SPS-49 radar with MK 92 Mod 6 fire control system.
If Sea Sparrows missiles are placed aboard, which I believe is more likely, they would need to install MK91 fire control system and radars instead, or upgrade the MK 92 to Mod 12, again requiring a SPS-49 radar.
Any other Guided surface to air missiles would require different fire control systems and radars.

RAM, SeaRam, and Phalanx CIWS don't need a SPS-40 radar if they are the choice for air defense. Neither does Harpoon surface to surface missiles. In fact, the existing MK 92 Mod 1 fire control system is capable to launch them as is, all that's needed is the missiles and launchers.

There is no amount of modifications which will make these two ships into major combat ships. They were never designed to be major combat ships even when they were new. What they are still good for is showing the flag, enforcing the law, search and rescue, and for detecting military intrusions so that they can then call in and then help control land based air-craft, if you have them to call.

The next question is when do you get the air-craft that puts teeth into the game?

What these ships need is a good long range air-search radar and fast, secure and reliable communications gear, not more guns.

Sea Toby

As I wrote before, SPS-40 radar isn't good enough in that type of electronic warfare environment anymore. You need SPS 49 and an upgrade of the MK 92 to Mod 6.
In a peaceful environment, like off the US coast, SPS-40 will give you an acceptable long range "air search". That's why I can't understand all this hoopla over the missing SPS-40 radar. Don't they really need something better, whether or not they install guided surface to air missiles on these ships?

ed famie

As I wrote before, SPS-40 radar isn't good enough in that type of electronic warfare environment anymore. You need SPS 49 and an upgrade of the MK 92 to Mod 6.
In a peaceful environment, like off the US coast, SPS-40 will give you an acceptable long range "air search". That's why I can't understand all this hoopla over the missing SPS-40 radar. Don't they really need something better, whether or not they install guided surface to air missiles on these ships?
Sir i would like to ask this question, if the 2 hamilton cutter that would be using by the PN can be upgrade so that they can detect submarines?

denzei49

They open the BRP gregorio del pilar for free tour here in palawan...................i been there my self... you guys should not expect more ......the dry docking for upgrading you said..............nothing to boost.....they just install lots of heavy guns ....machine guns....its just good for patroling against smugglers....but it wont be able to depend the philippines like what our stupid gov't said.............all our neighbors has missiles ...or anti missiles......just one shot.........KABUMM.......there goes our millions.....its like we buy stuff just so our enemies has something to destroy.........im not saying its a waste... but i know its not enough............

Sea Toby

Sir i would like to ask this question, if the 2 hamilton cutter that would be using by the PN can be upgrade so that they can detect submarines?
Yes, and No. Detection and prosecution of enemy submarines are different concepts.
To detect a presence of a submarine, all you need are passive sonars (hydrophones). You can triangulate a submarine's general position from two passive sensors. You'll need active sonar capability to actually attack a submarine. The main tactical problem with active sonars is that you give away your position.

The effectiveness of sonar varies whether you can vary the hydrophone's depth, and how quiet the surrounding environment is around it. Hull mounted sonars are therefore less effective than tow arrays, and dipping sonars from helicopters miles away from the ship are better. That's why many navies rely upon Anti Submarine Warfare capable helicopters and planes, using dipping sonars or sonar buoys.

While the Hamilton class ships once had a bow mounted sonar and torpedo tubes aboard, they were removed from the entire class after the Soviet Union broke up. The US Coast Guard got out of the ASW business to concentrate of Search And Rescue, Drug Interdiction, and other Law Enforcement missions.

Getting really good at ASW isn't easy or cheap. It's a skill that really takes years of practice. And you'll need submarines around to practice with. It might be better for the PN to prioritize other missions. Even using passive sonar, you'll need two hydrophones in the water, that means having two ships with sonars, two helicopters with dipping sonars, two sonar buoys, or any combination of two sonar sources in the water within detectable range of the sub. One ship with a single helicopter on deployment in the area isn't enough. That's the reason many US Navy ships have large hangers for two helicopters, even with their tow arrays.

I don't think it is necessary for PF15 and later ex-Hamilton class ships to have sonar reinstalled on the bow. An ASW capable helicopter aboard a PF15 could be used for one of the two passive sources needed to find, locate, and eventuality attack a submarine.

But you'll need a second sonar to actually attack or avoid it. Therefore, I believe it would be far cheaper to use heavier, land based helicopters or air planes for initial ASW forces. Deploying from land based bases, they'll be able to practice every day, not just when a ship is deployed. There are several great ASW airframes to choose from. They could also be used for SAR duties.

Sea Toby

Do you know how much the Philippine government paid for the Hamilton, plus training cost?
We finally have some real "monetary" numbers to answer that question.
Nigeria paid US $8 Million for the ex-Chase, including room & board and training for the sailors, and including the overhaul and dry dock expenses in the US.

Philippines paid US $10 Million for the ex-Hamilton, including room & board and training for the sailors, and including the overhaul expenses in the US. That includes the funds spent for the overhaul in the Philippines too. The Philippines kept the MK 92 Mod 1 fire control system for the Mk.75 Oto Melara 76 mm main gun that Nigeria didn't, one could suggest that the MK 92 Mod 1 and extra electronic suites were valued at $2 Million.

While this may seem to some a lot of money, it isn't in today's world. If they had bought any other used ship from any other navy, the Philippines would be looking at the same overhaul numbers. Navies tend to decommission ships when they are facing a refit/drydock, not a day after one...

The Philippines are looking at purchasing multiple role naval helicopters for these ships, at an additional cost of $10 Million each.

Additionally, their navy has budgeted $2.7 Million over the next two years (~$1.35 Million/year) for operations and maintenance costs for each ship.

(Note: P450 Million for each ship and helicopter, while the operational cost budgeted for two years for each ship is estimated at P120 million).

Some data posted earlier for comparison purposes:
The RNZN 55m IPV's cost about US $25m (NZD 35m)
The RNZN 85m OPV's cost about US $60m (NZD 90m)
APN 110m PF costs about US $10m.
That $15 million or $50 million savings can surely be spent on other needs.

STURM

YEven using passive sonar, you'll need two hydrophones in the water, that means having two ships with sonars, two helicopters with dipping sonars, two sonar buoys, or any combination of two sonar sources in the water within detectable range of the sub. One ship with a single helicopter on deployment in the area isn't enough. That's the reason many US Navy ships have large hangers for two helicopters, even with their tow arrays.
Sorry, I'm very lost here. I didn't get the part about the need for two hydrophones in the water. Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying that unless thermal conditions were perfect or the sub was very noisy, a single ship with only an active/passive bow sonar would have an almost impossible chance of detecting a submarine?

Sea Toby

Sorry, I'm very lost here. I didn't get the part about the need for two hydrophones in the water. Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying that unless thermal conditions were perfect or the sub was very noisy, a single ship with only an active/passive bow sonar would have an almost impossible chance of detecting a submarine?
Ever heard of radio direction finding using two or more receivers to triangulate? The same applies with sound under water. They will know there is a submarine around with one, but not exactly where. This is basic 101 ASW science. There is a reason why ASW aircraft drop more than one sonobuoy. There is a reason why few OPVs or cutters don't have much ASW equipment outside of obstacle/mine avoidance sonar dead ahead. There is a reason why navies which take ASW seriously have ASW aircraft.

Of course, using active sonar you only need one sonar. You ping, then wait for an echo to bounce back. Timing between transition and receiving the ping can be computed for distance, and along with the heading - you can pinpoint the submarine without using triangulation. But once you ping with active sonar, you gave your location away.

I would rather add ASW aircraft than add only a ship borne sonar presently. After buying the other ASW assets would be the time to add ASW to the GRP.

Last edited:

Sea Toby

I believe the Philippine Navy will use these ex-Hamiltons to have constant presence in these area especially the area from the Malampaya gas fields to the Mischief Reef area to provide some deterrence and constant watch of the Chinese Navy looking for opportunity to quickly steal a reef or a shoal. The Reed Bank area will be the next flash point as PLAN was seen with 3 warships just last month. They know this is where the next gold mine will be

The Italian frigates Maestrale/Soldati that the DOD looked at last week will provide the ready war material they needed badly if the deal could be pushed through.
I'll agree that these soon to be retired Italian frigates are capable warships. The Maestrale have great antisubmarine equipment. The Soldati lack most of the antisubmarine kit, but have twice as many surface to surface missiles. I'm not sure which one the Admirals would prefer. How about some of each? How much cash does Italy want for them? Can the Philippines afford them?

The USCG is selling the Hamilton cutters around $8 to $10 Million. The US Navy sold Pakistan an Oliver Hazard Perry frigate for $65 Million, and I think the Italian frigates should be worth about the same as an OHP frigate. You can add lots of equipment to a Hamilton for $55 Million..
A good anti-submarine helicopter costs $30 million, which you would have to buy with the Italian frigate as well. Long range "Search" radars don't as much either. The Hamiltons can be improved far cheaper if all you need is search capabilities, it's fire control and weapons systems that cost an arm and a leg.

denzei49

AFP's modernization to depend the Philippines claim to spratly's.........and to depend the territory of the philippines....should we remind the AFP that all our neighbors are using missiles. After the tour on the ship, i say what duh..is this the new depender we're talking about .....it can be easily sink by the.....tsino.Pnoy said if necessary depend our country....it cant even depend its own.....i'm really disappointed...the tour is free though...and right now its refuelling somewere in manila...the crew said they bought it just for palawan......which is good because they bought it using the share of palawan in malampaya..vietnam acquired new ships from Russia....i dont know if its new or old but the fact that it has guided missiles .........its good for me if philippine bought this one instead of that ship..

Last edited:

Sea Toby

AFP's modernization to depend the Philippines claim to spratly's.........and to depend the territory of the philippines....should we remind the AFP that all our neighbors are using missiles. After the tour on the ship, i say what duh..is this the new depender we're talking about .....it can be easily sink by the.....tsino.Pnoy said if necessary depend our country....it cant even depend its own.....i'm really disappointed...the tour is free though...and right now its refuelling somewere in manila...the crew said they bought it just for palawan......which is good because they bought it using the share of palawan in malampaya..vietnam acquired new ships from Russia....i dont know if its new or old but the fact that it has guided missiles .........its good for me if philippine bought this one instead of that ship..
Would you be happy if the Philippine Navy added 8 harpoons and a SeaRam CIWS to the GRP? Both could be cross decked to another ship at a later time.

Combat Fleets of the World listed some prices for new warships in US dollars not too long ago.
Pakistan: F22P frigate $200 million
Netherlands: OPV Holland $169 million
NZ: Otago OPV $126 million
NZ: Rotoiti IPV $25 million
US: Cyclone $31 million

The Holland is the biggest of the OPVs on this list which cost $161 million more than a former Hamilton. Note that none of the 4 Dutch OPVs planned to patrol in the Caribbean have guided missiles.

Even the Pakistan F22P frigates cost $200 million which cost $192 million more than a former Hamilton.

Everyone wants a newer, better ship. But price has to be considered too.

http://combatfleetoftheworld.blogspot.com/p/warships-cost.html

STURM

AAfter the tour on the ship, i say what duh..is this the new depender we're talking about .....it can be easily sink by the.....tsino.
The intention in getting the Hamiltons is to better enable the PN to patrol and monitors its vast waters, not to engage in combat ops. Yes it would be nice to retrofit both with Harpoons, Phalanx, new ESM, sonar, etc, but where is the cash coming from? And what's the point when the bulk of the PN fleet is on average 50 years old and are armed only with guns? Cash has to be spent to address the problems that are currently faced, not what is likely to be faced in the next few years. Which should come first, given thats funds are very scarce, developing the basics and getting new patrol assets to meet existing threats or developing a combat capability?

That's the reason many US Navy ships have large hangers for two helicopters, even with their tow arrays.
When 2 helicopters are in the air, hunting a contact, how do they communicate with each other and coordinate their actions in response to the movements of the sub and new info coming in? Is it through radio?

And what role does the mothership play?Is she informed of all new developments as they happen and also using her onboard sonars?

Last edited:

exported_kiwi

Can these cutters hulls take such modifications? I know they were built with potential war usage but all of that extra topweight might just be a problem, no?
As for SM1, does the US still carry that weapon in it's inventory, along with associated launch system?

Sea Toby

Can these cutters hulls take such modifications? I know they were built with potential war usage but all of that extra topweight might just be a problem, no?
As for SM1, does the US still carry that weapon in it's inventory, along with associated launch system?
Probably not outside the SPS 40 array itself. But these cutters do have weight and space available for harpoons forward of the bridge and a Phalanx CIWS aft, and most likely a Searam CIWS upgrade in place of a Phalanx.

denzei49

FROM Sea Toby
Everyone wants a newer, better ship. But price has to be considered too.
yes price should be considered too....but the maintenance of the old one is far bigger than the new one.. in the end it would cost the AFP more than the price of the new one.....isn't it?

and what is the comparison between the fully equip new ships than the old ships that need to be upgrade....if you think about it you've save more military fund if you bought the new one.

FROM STURM
The intention in getting the Hamiltons is to better enable the PN to patrol and monitors its vast waters, not to engage in combat ops.
i know but , to patrol is to be ready for combat, pirate ships is also equip with modern weapon. would it be nice the AFP bought something that can depend the country's best interest.....they should remember that Chinese navy bully any weak navy ships on south china sea...remember the incidents on the oil exploration vessels they harass it because its powerless and they will do the same on Philippine navy.

FROM exported_kiwi
i don't think it can have much of that modification ......there is not enough space on the ships..exept on the front and back...which i think very small for the equipment that you're suggesting

Sea Toby

yes price should be considered too....but the maintenance of the old one is far bigger than the new one.. in the end it would cost the AFP more than the price of the new one.....isn't it?

and what is the comparison between the fully equip new ships than the old ships that need to be upgrade....if you think about it you've save more military fund if you bought the new one.
Excellent points. But whether ones saves money buying new or upgrading old depends upon the details. Let's look at three recent ships that changed ownership recently...

Philippines buys used Hamilton "Cutter" from USCG for $10 Million
Brazil buys 3 new BAE "OPVs" for $70 Million each. Trindad and Tobago never accepted them.
Brunei bought 3 new BAE "Corvettes" for $300 Million each. Reportedly has then up for sale without ever using them.

Depending upon how these ships are outfitted, prices can vary. Never-the-less, it'll take lots of upgrading the make up $290 Million, although I'll admit less upgrading can be done for $60 Million.

A new general purpose light helicopter costs at least $8 to $10. Million. A new light anti-submarine helicopter costs $20 Million, a new medium lift anti-submarine helicopter can reach $50 Million. It doesn't matter which of the earlier ships you bought, the helicopter costs extra. Never-the less, buying the used Hamilton easily saves enough money to pay for a good antisubmarine helicopter.

Weapons and electronic systems aren't cheap. Their costs also vary depending upon what you install on the ships. The Oto Mera 76 mm gun mount costs almost $2 Million, not including the ammunition or fire control system. A 20 mm Phalanx CIWS Mod 1 costs almost $6 Million each, not including the bullets but including the built in fire control system. Harpoon missiles cost around $1.2 Million each, not including the launch tubes. 4 Harpoons would cost $4.8 Million, 8 would cost $9.6 Million. Reinstalling those weapons that were once on or planned to be on the Hamilton class should still be cheaper than buying the new Brunei corvettes.

Helping to keep costs low is the Mk92 fire control system that was left on the Philippine's Hamilton class ship.If other upgrades not planned by the USCG were performed to the Hamilton class, fire control systems for that weapon would have to be bought increasing its costs. But not if you kept to USCG planned upgrades.

Additionally, assets such as Anti-submarine Helicopters, CIWS, and Harpoons can be cross decked between ships, or to new ships purchased in the future to replace the aging Hamilton class ships. Money spent upgrading them isn't always wasted when they must be paid off.

STURM

i know but , to patrol is to be ready for combat, pirate ships is also equip with modern weapon. would it be nice the AFP bought something that can depend the country's best interest.....they should remember that Chinese navy bully any weak navy ships on south china sea...remember the incidents on the oil exploration vessels they harass it because its powerless and they will do the same on Philippine navy.
''Defend the ''country's best interest'' against what? Current threats or future threats that may not materialise? Even navies with budgets much larger than the PNs aren't expected to deal with all manner of threats. If the intention is to have newer ships to ''show the flag'' , protect offshore assets and deter foreign intrusions in disputed areas, surely new OPVs, fitted with nothing more than a 76mm gun, would do the job? Chinese ships that are intruding are doing so for political reasons, to make a statement, not with the intention to create hostilities.

It's just my opinion but my take is that because funds are so scarce, whatever funds that are available should be used to get new OPVs, MPAs, etc, , rather than ''sexy'' gear like missiles and Phalanx, that in all probability will not be needed. Look at the prices that Sea Toby provided - these are just procurement costs, and does not include training, spares and general maintenance. Given the current size of the budget and the need to address other key areas, does the PN have the luxury to get such ''sexy'' stuff?