Philippine Air Force Discussions and Updates

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
Please try to stay on topic as this discussion thread is not about General Santos city and has no relevance about any PAF ongoing/recent news or any future and past aircrafts & equiptments acquisition programs...

Last edited:

ed famie

A huge bulk of tuna canning factories in the Philippines is based in GenSan (our local abbreviation). So it would have been a wise business investment for the US regardless. As so far as I know, the only US forces stationed in the Philippines are in Zamboanga. The United States developed GenSan not just for military purposes, but developed it in a way so that they could have a base IF a conflict arose. I've been on flights from GenSan to Manila and the airport as a whole is not that great, but the runways are wider in the Philippine context (especially for a relatively insignificant domestic airport), very reminiscent of a military airbase.

But I'm sure the highway I've been on many times were made by American contractors and a huge bulk paid with American taxpayer money (USAID). And as for the rumors, don't take it too seriously.
please stay on topic like what our friend said, this is a Phil. Airforce thread and discussions about planes, thank you

Sandhi Yudha

A recent report by the Commission on Audit at the end of 2010 states that only about 25% of the PAF aircraft can fly (Mostly Helicopters) and the rest are in junkyard conditions with almost 0% capability in defending the nation...

COA: Only a fourth of PAF aircraft can fly; most fit for junkyard | Inquirer News
Everytime i read things like this, i always thinks "How is it possible? Filipina is not a poor country, around 300.000 sq km in size, with a population of around 30% of Indonesia." Why they spend such a pathetic small amount of their budget to defence?"

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
Everytime i read things like this, i always thinks "How is it possible? Filipina is not a poor country, around 300.000 sq km in size, with a population of around 30% of Indonesia." Why they spend such a pathetic small amount of their budget to defence?"
I agree with you, the entire defense budget alloted for this nation of almost 100 million citizens is only around $2.5 Billion for FY-2011 which is less than 1% of it's over $350 Billion annual GDP... Making it at least $5 Billion per year at about 1.8% of the current GDP will create a credible armed forces capable of responding to national security threats...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)

Last edited:

legoboy

I thought the U.S. was willing to protect the Philippines from any foreign threat o_o.
I just think that extra $2.5 billion spent in the military is wasted money that could be used on better things. No small country is going to attack the Philippines if it's under U.S. protection, while if a big country is going to do it, I highly doubt that extra $2.5 billion is going to do much.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
I agree with you, the entire defense budget alloted for this nation of almost 100 million citizens is only around $2.5 Billion for FY-2011 which is less than 1% of it's over $350 Billion annual GDP... Making it at least $5 Billion per year at about 1.8% of the current GDP will create a credible armed forces capable of responding to national security threats...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)
Defense sometimes for developing nation like Philippines, or Indonesia that currently did not faced immediate external threat, become a very sensitive issue. Especially for Politician. Also for developing nation, the amount of Government budget usually much smaller in the proportion toward overall GDP.

For example This year Indonesian Government Budget (USD 120 bio) only represent one sixth from overall GDP of more than USD 700 bio. I believe the similar proportion also happening in Philippines. While more developed nations like in Europe or US, usually the Government spending represent larger proportion toward their overall GDP. This for one thing this's due to the proportion of taxable segment of their population. Richer nation got more people (in proportion to their demographic) that can be taxable, thus it means more portion of their GDP can be taxed by the government for their Revenue.

Thus they can afford more percentage of their GDP for 'luxury' projects like defense ;). While country like Philippines, Indonesia or similar middle income developing nation will have hard time to push more than 1% of their GDP for defense. Plus as 'democratic' nations :rolleyes: we also must deal with the whim of the politician on the budget formulation :D

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
I thought the U.S. was willing to protect the Philippines from any foreign threat o_o.
I just think that extra $2.5 billion spent in the military is wasted money that could be used on better things. No small country is going to attack the Philippines if it's under U.S. protection, while if a big country is going to do it, I highly doubt that extra $2.5 billion is going to do much.
I guess you thought 'WRONG' as the US is primarily interested for their own interest and gains only and as the saying goes, there is no such thing as 'FREE LUNCH' in this world...The $2.5 Billion annual DND budget is not a wasted money and should actually be doubled in order to have a credible defense capability in which every sovereign nation is RESPONSIBLE for providing to everyone of it's citizens......

ed famie

as a nation it's the duty if it's own people to defend it's sovereignty, you can depend to other countries forces to patrol or guard your territory, U.S. can help because of the mutual defence treaty, but they must also provide was it needed as written in Phil. Constitution.

maximonterox

The Philippines is definitely not a poor country, but the government is suffering from misuse of its limited budget due to corruption. Although there are steps being done to minimize or if possible remove corruption as a way of life in the public service.

There is a very active move by the present administration to increase spending in defense while improving usage of budget, which for the last 20 years have been steadily in decline in terms of GDP. While the economy grew more than twice, defense spending became stagnant. Although the US is willing to help the Philippines, it was made known that they will be helping in defending itself and not for them to physically defend on the Philippines' behalf.

The latest statements by the Commission on Audit and Philippine Air Force may be a move to push for the rapid modernization of the Air Force and the entire Armed Forces as a whole, since it the report is not totally the case for the entire air force organization.

The defense budget recently went to $2.5B this year, but a big chunk will go to servicing retirement benefits and pay for retired officers and men, although other sources like oil and gas incomes are being made to cope up with the shortcomings.

Lets wait for now since they have just started their moves. The Philippine Navy's acquisition of the Hamilton was a surprise move that even people in the defense department was not expecting.

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
as a nation it's the duty if it's own people to defend it's sovereignty, you can depend to other countries forces to patrol or guard your territory, U.S. can help because of the mutual defence treaty, but they must also provide was it needed as written in Phil. Constitution.

Exactly, they should not expect other countries to patrol it's territorial waters and airspace too since this is all a responsibility of a sovereign nation... I wish that MDT with the US was never established so that the armed forces would probably be in a much better situation today being much stronger and credible since it has no one to rely for on external defense...

Last edited:

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
I have no doubt that as more funds become available, attention wiil be turned to the PAF to get new assets. The problem at the moment however is that there seems to be a lack of political will or funds to simply maintain what is currently operated.

Philippine Air Force in Bad Shape: Spokesman - Defense News
Yes, your exactly right... it's the lack of political will, but not the funds to properly maintain what assets they currently have remaining since it is alloted annually on their budget...

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
PAF to conduct 3rd straight days of bombing sorties over specific targets on Mindanao island today, OV-10's were utilized during the 1st day of operations and yesterday it was the MD-520's with the UH-1 Hueys providng air support for the ground units while the S-211's might be use in todays sorties...All of these activities are in response to the recent killings of more than 20 SAF soldiers by the rebels last week on Basilan island...

http://www.asianewsnet.net/home/highlight.php?id=1373

http://news.ph.msn.com/regional/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5441743

colay

PAF to conduct 3rd straight days of bombing sorties over specific targets on Mindanao island today, OV-10's were utilized during the 1st day of operations and yesterday it was the MD-520's with the UH-1 Hueys providng air support for the ground units while the S-211's might be use in todays sorties...All of these activities are in response to the recent killings of more than 20 SAF soldiers by the rebels last week on Basilan island...

ASIA NEWS NETWORK

First air strikes on Philippine rebels since 2008 - Â*Latest news around the world and developments close to home - MSN Philippines News
The PAF should really invest in a small fleet of gunships, Pack it with rapid fire cannon/MGs and targeting systems capable of all-weather operation, it would have the firpower and endurance that light aircraft and choppers lack. Even Puff the Magic Dragon of VietNam vintage would be a big improvement but there should be no problem upgrading to modern tech, funds permitting. IMO it should be a priority.

T.C.P

PAF should get C-130s, They can use them as gunships, MPAs and of course from strategic transport. The MPA quality they need more than any other to deal with the maritime problems.

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
PAF should get C-130s, They can use them as gunships, MPAs and of course from strategic transport. The MPA quality they need more than any other to deal with the maritime problems.

There are 2 additional refurbished C-130's that are suppose to arrive by the end of 2011 and also plans are being finalize for the acquisition of 2 C-212 and 1 CN-235 aircrafts from Indonesia's Aerospace company...

colay

Maybe they can come up with a modular CAS package that can be installed as the need arises? Those a/c will be limited in number and will be tasked primarily for transport but if they can morph into gunships then they would be even more useful. The USMC has Harvest Hawk w/c allows a regular C-130 to be reconfigured very quickly to gunship configuration. We don't need the same level of sophistication but the principle applies.

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
Current aircrafts of the PAF...What was once the strongest Air Defense organization in the Asean region back in the 60's and 70's is now one of the weakest in terms of it's capability to protect and defend the nation due to lack of modern air assets and aging aircrafts...

Philippine Air Force :: Official Website

Last edited:

Belesari

Maybe they can come up with a modular CAS package that can be installed as the need arises? Those a/c will be limited in number and will be tasked primarily for transport but if they can morph into gunships then they would be even more useful. The USMC has Harvest Hawk w/c allows a regular C-130 to be reconfigured very quickly to gunship configuration. We don't need the same level of sophistication but the principle applies.
Something like the harvest hawk would be good could also be used for paratroopers.

Maybe ya'll can get some CAS planes like the ones the US is looking at.