Peruvian navy help

Chuncho

Hello Mr Chuncho,

Thank you so much

But I thought these submarines have outlived their life. Almost 30 Years of service already. One more Refit / upgrade, what will be the state of the Hull ?

May be lots of work may have to be done on the hull, to give a relife

Equipment can always be changed, there should be a problem

What do you opine ?

Regards

Jayanthi
Hi Jayanthi,

Actually our subs are from the early '80s so we still have a little bit of life until the necessary refit/upgrade, but definitely a decision must come no later than 2010 as we are the last ones sending our submarines to refit; Colombia sent their 'Pijao' class last year, Ecuador did the same thing with their vessels, etc...

Sea Toby

The South Americans have upcoming replacement issues with fheir frigates during the next ten years. Outside of Chile with their recent purchases of ex-British and Dutch frigates, all of the navies will need replacements soon.

The Americans will be decommissioning many FFGs. I would think many of the South Americans could do as Pakistan is, accepting the ships for free but with American aid doing one last refit. This would be the cheapest solution for ten to fifteen years.

Otherwise the nations will have to buy new ships. The Brunei small frigates are available from the UK. Possibly Milgrems from Turkey or Freems from Italy. Spain is building BAM OPVs. I like the BAMs, they are probably the cheapest new ship solution.

It will be interesting to see what these navies do....

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I like the BAMs, they are probably the cheapest new ship solution.
There are cheaper options on the OPV market. The Fassmer designs for example (OPV 80, 1800 tons, remotely related to the late 80s P60/P65 class the German Coastguard uses), which were already bought by Argentina, Chile and Colombia, with the three already having ordered at least eight ships, and planning up to around twenty units. Cost €40-80 million depending on outfit.
And TKMS is trying to push into the market with the budget Meko Guardian for €30 million apiece - bit more than one third of a BAM at €85 million. VT's OPVs of similar size and capability for the Trinidad & Tobago coastguard come at only €70 million too btw.

Chile is heavily pushing the Fassmer OPV as a standard solution for a light patrol ship throughout South America, since the Chilean and Argentinan vessels are being built by South America's only large military shipyard located in Chile (ASMAR).
And Fassmer has already come up with an enlarged OPV90 that it markets as "capable of integrating military payloads" i.e. more complex weapon systems with a potential FS/FFL role.

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
The South Americans have upcoming replacement issues with fheir frigates during the next ten years. Outside of Chile with their recent purchases of ex-British and Dutch frigates, all of the navies will need replacements soon.

Otherwise the nations will have to buy new ships. The Brunei small frigates are available from the UK. Possibly Milgrems from Turkey or Freems from Italy. Spain is building BAM OPVs. I like the BAMs, they are probably the cheapest new ship solution.

It will be interesting to see what these navies do....
according to the press a while ago the Brunei frigates were sold to Algeria. Of course new builds are still a possibility

jayanthi

Hello ,

As I read the net, the first Peruvian Submarine was commisined in 1973, that is about 36 years back. All the submarines must have already seen one Major Refit, and must be overdue for capital Refit now

Is it right to spend so much to refit ?

Is it not wise to go in for newer commisions ?

How long will Argentine take to refit?

Any modernisationplanned ?

Regards

K Jayanthi

s are
Peru’s navy
I was looking for ideas on how to upgrade Peru’s navy main surface war ships. Kind of fun thing I’m trying to do and the goal or point would be trying to bring them up to higher standards. I’m looking for ideas and suggestions and curious to see how this will go. I am not strong in naval warfare at all and couldn’t tell a bad ship design from a good one nor do I know prices. It you had to rebuild Peru’s navy to say protect new off shore oil platforms near Ecuador and Chile’s borders, how would you do it?

Peru confirms over 1 billion barrels of oil reserves
Peru confirms over 1 billion barrels of oil reserves_English_Xinhua

I don’t like using List of Peruvian Navy ships - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as a source but can’t seem to find a current 2008 list of Peru’s surface warships.

I attached a link to a French ship builder I just saw and articles about delivering Frigates to Singapore’s navy. These ships look so advance to anything Peru currently has are any of the different class ships Peru has worth upgrading.
3 New Frigates Boost Singapore Navy's 'Green-water' Capabilities
3 New Frigates Boost Singapore Navy's 'Green-water' Capabilities - Defense News
Thanks in advance for any help in this odd post of mind.
Hello Salty Dog,

Well, if this talks finalized in an agreement probably the subs (probably 2 U-209 1200) will be worked at the CINAR (Argentinian Naval Industry Complex); Argentina right now is doing a mid life overhaul of his TR-1700 ARA San Juan since 2007, so they have the experience of cutting the hull and upgrading engines, batteries, etc...

The Peruvian Navy had send a technical committee from SIMA (Peruvian Naval Industry Services) to gather more info for a possibility of an overhaul. Some people in the spanish military forums preferred to look for HDW as the main contractor but if they are too expensive probably they will look to Korea or Brasil.

Chuncho

Hello ,

As I read the net, the first Peruvian Submarine was commisined in 1973, that is about 36 years back. All the submarines must have already seen one Major Refit, and must be overdue for capital Refit now

Is it right to spend so much to refit ?

Is it not wise to go in for newer commisions ?

How long will Argentine take to refit?

Any modernisationplanned ?

Regards

K Jayanthi

s are
The Peruvian Navy has 6 U-209 subs (4 1200 & 2 1100), the 2 1100s were commissioned between '74 & '75, then they received an overhaul in '83 and another equipment /overhaul upgrade last year. The 4 1200s were commissioned between '83 & '85 and 2 of them received a major overhaul around '97. Now due to lack of funds the idea is to do a major mid life refit on 2 1200s, if possible all 4; the 2 1100s probably will received just indigenous equipments until the end of his operation life.

My guessing is that starting on 2012 - 2013 the peruvian goverment will probably place an order for 2 new SSK in order to replace the 2 1100s and then will start a program to replace the other 4 1200s by no later than 2025 - 2030, but this is just mere speculations from me, will see.

Regards.

jayanthi

Dear Shri Chuncho,

Nice to know that Indiegenouus Equipments will be fitted in the planned Major mid lif refit

What are the equipment that are indigenised?

Can't the refit be done in Peru itself ?

Will the new commision submarines planned to be acquired in 2012 also will have indigenous equipment?

( SHRI: Indian way of addressing Males equivalent of " SIR" )

Thanking you

Yours faithfully

K Jayanthi

Chuncho

I know that Peruvian Navy has created 2 subsystems for the subs, one is called THOR that is a battery management system and the other called ARGOS that is a fire-control system, these upgrades an a few others minor ones are included in an upgrade locally known as DELFIN II that is been implemented in at least one of the 209 1100 type subs.

Last edited:

jayanthi

Dear Shri Chuncho,

"Shri" means Mr,

Not "Sir" as I have indicated in my prevoious thread. Sorry I was very sleepy when I was making that thread

What is the plan for week end?

How long will Argentine take to do major mid life refit ?

Regards

Jayanthi

Chuncho

Dear Shri Chuncho,

"Shri" means Mr,

Not "Sir" as I have indicated in my prevoious thread. Sorry I was very sleepy when I was making that thread

What is the plan for week end?

How long will Argentine take to do major mid life refit ?

Regards

Jayanthi
Probably it will take around 24 to 30 months.