Pakistan & Malaysian Defence Relations

Paxter

siresoul said:
it means that malaysia has shown intrest in tanks as well and there is some talks of malaysian defence annouced that they want to buy some tanks some time back but i don't remember where and when but possibly 7 or 8 moths before
those intrest in tanks vanish when they baught the upgraded T-90s all 60 of em... i doubt malaysia would buy more tanks cause in truth we dont really need that many tanks they for sure cant be deployed in sabah or sarawak or the central part of malaysia cause of the dense forrest... if war ever comes this way and our fellow FPDA (ANZAC,UK,Singapore) allies forget to help us. the war will be in the deep jungles of malaysia... i really think if any purchase will be done by our side it will be more fire power for the infantry men cause the trend between our two nations has always been manpads or anti tank weapons, or god knows why they baught a whole load of rpgs for the irregulars (prob cause its simple enough for them to handle)

aaaditya

hey guys can someone tell me if malaysia has been offered the agosta 90b by pakistan and if so would malaysia consider acquiring them?

adsH

Paxter said:
About what can malaysia supply pakistan not much i guess :D unless you want long range UAV, [/B] simulators, styer augs, MEKO 100s, ACV 300s then malaysia is ur guy...

Actually Pakistan is designing it's own Simulators i'm not sure which stage they'r at but, i'd say simulators are designed for specific systems in mind.

Elite-Pilot

Banned Member
Thanks webster!

Later on in the year, hopefully Malaysia will be pleased with the technology of Pakistan and then later purchase Anza-MK-3(further variant of Mk-2). The MK-3 has an effective range of 15 making it extremely useful in tight positions.

dreamwarrior73

Paxter, bit of misleading in your posting there. Malaysia did not buy the T-90. Malaysia bought PT-91M from Poland. Malaysia has a plan to increase the number of MBTs to equip 3 regiments. possible candidates are:

1. PT-91M (Poland)
2. Al-Khalid (Pakistan)
3. T-84 (Ukraine)
4. T-90 (Russia)

notice that all candidates are of Eastern design. this is due to the weight limit in Malaysian soil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hussain

If the Malaysians have bought mbt's from Poland and are attempting to purchase more mbt's then in my opinion the Al Khalid would be in a strong contender for any future Malaysian mbt purchases.

I think one of the primary reasons for this would be the Al Khalids ability to operate in extremely wet conditions and snorkle under 'water'. Malaysia suffers from heavy rains and flooding so the Al khalid would be excellent for year around operations. Ilso think that pakistan may purchase palm oil towards offsetting some of the costs.

Malaysia should go for the Al Khalid because of its advanced mobility and the ability to operate in extremely wet environments. Malaysia suffers from heavy rainfall and localised flooding during many parts of the year. I don't think any other MBT from anywhere in the world has the all round capabilities of the Al Khalid.

I think Bangladesh is also interested in the Al Khalid due to its ability to operate effectively under water. As most people know Bangladesh suffers from severe flooding and therefore requires weapons systems that won't fail in extremely wet conditions, or overheat in the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

aaaditya

Hussain said:
If the Malaysians have bought mbt's from Poland and are attempting to purchase more mbt's then in my opinion the Al Khalid would be in a strong contender for any future Malaysian mbt purchases.

I think one of the primary reasons for this would be the Al Khalids ability to operate in extremely wet conditions and snorkle under 'water'. Malaysia suffers from heavy rains and flooding so the Al khalid would be excellent for year around operations. Ilso think that pakistan may purchase palm oil towards offsetting some of the costs.

Malaysia should go for the Al Khalid because of its advanced mobility and the ability to operate in extremely wet environments. Malaysia suffers from heavy rainfall and localised flooding during many parts of the year. I don't think any other MBT from anywhere in the world has the all round capabilities of the Al Khalid.

I think Bangladesh is also interested in the Al Khalid due to its ability to operate effectively under water. As most people know Bangladesh suffers from severe flooding and therefore requires weapons systems that won't fail in extremely wet conditions, or overheat in the summer.
all modern battle tanks are capable of operating in wet conditions and snorkelling under water.i believe if the malaysians like their pt91 battle tanks then they will go for more of them,instead of acquiring a different type of tank as it will result in additional maintainence requirements.

Paxter

urm most tanks can go underwater just need the kit to do so... i dont think that is enough to make al-khalid "the" best choice... again i strongly stress dont put your hopes so high on mbt... cause it has been said over and over again, more main battle tanks are not in the agenda, we have more important things to get before turning towards heavy tanks... things that top the list are

- early warning aircrafts
- new transport helis
- advance trainers
- new ships
- anti aircraft weapons
- strengthening the army air core

Hussain

The Polish tank is an upgraded version of the T72 and can operate 5m under water with the aid of a snorkel. The T90 can operate 5m under water too The Al Khalid is in most respects (on paper anyway) in the same league as the Leopard 2 and M1A2. I am not sure how well the M1A2 or Leopard 2 can operate under water? A bit heavy as well aren't they? Quite a few M1's have sunk in Iraqi rivers so their underwater capabilities don't appear to be too good , in standard form anyway. On paper anyway, the Al Khalid is far superior than the Eastern European and Russian tanks.

dreamwarrior73

Al-Khalid is based on Chinese Type-90. Now the Chinese has come up with Type 98. This meant that Al-Khalid is less superior than the Type 98. How can you say that Al-Khalid is far superior than any Eastern design tanks? :gun

Hussain

dreamwarrior73 said:
Al-Khalid is based on Chinese Type-90. Now the Chinese has come up with Type 98. This meant that Al-Khalid is less superior than the Type 98. How can you say that Al-Khalid is far superior than any Eastern design tanks? :gun
Due to the tanks ability to auto track targets. Apparently only the French tanks have this capability. The computer hardware/software was designed apparently by a Pakistani scientist working for NASA. So it goes down to the computers electronic technology. The type 98 is a very good tank, but the turret doesn't fit flush on to the tanks main body . This makes the tank less than water tight and also prone to severe damage if attacked in the exposed area.

Most cars are supposed to be watertight but long term exposure to the elements proves that some are more capable than others.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
dreamwarrior73 said:
The Al-Khalid is "based" on Chinese T-90II, but its not T-90II. T-90 was selected as its base & Pakistani engineers made a new tank out of it. Current versions of Al-Khalid are T-90 based but the upcoming ones are bit different.
The idea is to evantualy remove T-90II from it base. But there are still some elements from T-90II in it.

The idea to use T-90 as its base was to speed up the program otherwise Pakistan would have been still in R&D.

The program has been successful & some countries have shown interest including Saudi Arabia & UAE. Its mostly desert countries that have shown interest at this moment. There were reports of Malaysians being interested.

The best thing about Al-Khalid is that the allied & friendly nations can get transfer of technology from Pakistan. Saudis & UAE would most probably be pushing for ToT (if they approave it) but dont know about Malaysia. For Malaysia it all depends on how good their relations are with China, after all T-90II is till at its "base" at this moment & it might still take few more yrs to remove it completely from Al-Khalid.

Hussain

MBT 2000 a.k.a. Al-Khalid is the Main Battle Tank of the Pakistan Army. It is the result of joint venture between China, Pakistan (Heavy Industries Taxila) and Ukraine. Ukraine provided the 6TD 1200hp engine, which is a diesel engine and designed for desert and hot climates allowing it to withstand extremes of temperatures. The tank itself is an very high upgrade of the Russian designed T902M. Pakistan plans to induct 600 of these by 2007. The tank has the capability of fighting at night as well as the ability to automatically track targets being the second tank of this type in the world (First being the French Leclerc tank). It is a smaller tank than its contemporaries with a crew of 3. It also has the state of the art automatic fire extinguishing and explosion suppression systems. More than USD 20 million have been spent in almost 10 years over MBT 2000. The enemy engagement system of the tank is one of the best in the world and possibly the best in Asia.

Source WK Pedia

siresoul

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Chengdu FC-1/JF-17 Tweaked for Higher Performance
Aviation Week & Space Technology
11/28/2005, page 44

Robert Wall
Dubai

Iran seen as one of several JF-17 export candidates

Printed headline: Fighter Fix

Pakistan and China are making configuration changes to the Chengdu FC-1/JF-17 to boost the fighter's performance in what is likely only the first of a series of iterations the aircraft will undergo in coming years.

In the run-up to limited batch production slated for next year, flight testing of a modified prototype, called PT4, is underway. This aircraft incorporates design changes including a larger inlet to boost top speed to around Mach 1.8 from below Mach 1.6. The center and aft fuselage configuration has also been tweaked.

Program officials say the higher speed was of interest to Pakistan and is considered important to maintain the fighter's export attractiveness. Although the program is still in its early stage, project managers see interest from Iran, Egypt and Malaysia for the JF-17.
THE AIRCRAFT FEATURES a partial fly-by-wire system that controls yaw only. Pakistani officials say they opted for this configuration to keep the cost of the aircraft down. A full fly-by-wire system could have made the aircraft unaffordable, they suggest.

Pakistan and China are making changes to the basic FC-1 design to boost performance of the JF-17 derivative, including increasing the fighter's top speed.Credit: ROBERT WALL/AW&ST

Still ahead is testing of the avionics system, since most of the work to date has concentrated on structural matters. Two of five initial prototypes are used for fatigue and static testing, while the PT1 was the basic design of the Chinese FC-1. PT4 is the only aircraft so far to feature the design changes.

Pakistani officials expect the first contract for 16 aircraft (split equally with China) to be awarded next year, with deliveries as early as 2007. Those would undergo further flight-testing to refine the design and exercise subsystems, including avionics, that have not been explored.

A full-rate production contract would follow around 2009. Initially, Pakistan will provide 58% of the parts, but that is supposed to increase gradually to 100%. One of the big question marks over the project, though, is whether China will place its promised order, which is seen as vital to keeping the program moving forward.

The aircraft is powered by a Russian Klimov RD-93 engine with 11,340 lb. thrust. Maximum take-off weight is 28,066 lb., according to the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex, an industrial partner in the program along with China's Chengdu.

The weapons package has not yet been settled. Despite speculation that China would push Pakistan to use its PL-12/SD-10 radar-guided weapon, Pakistani officials are keeping their options open, possibly as a bargaining chip to try to lower the cost of the SD-10. One senior Pakistani official said Pakistan would also be interested in technology transfer, with an eye on building its own missile capacity.

One outside candidate to meet its requirement for an infrared-guided dogfight missile for the aircraft could be Denel's A-Darter. The weapon has undergone some technology demonstration, but South Africa is still deciding whether to fund its full development--which would take about five years--or buy a weapon offshore, like the German IRIS-T. Current political sentiment is leaning toward funding A-Darter's development to maintain the country's industrial capacity, but a firm decision isn't expected until next year, and has slipped repeatedly.

South Africa has been discussing cooperation with Brazil, but with the latter's future fighter program in flux, the cooperative missile endeavor also has made little progress, a South African official says. Pretoria is looking for close cooperation with India, as well. However, controversy over an army weapons program could sideline Denel there, in which case the company might be drawn to Pakistan to expand A-Darter's sales potential, the official added.
hey i found this on a forum like to share with you peoples...