Pakistan Army News and Discussions

MG 3

Old and inaccurate info. Kevlar vests and ballistic helmets only being handed out to Special Op units for now. That will only be extended to regular infantry units when PA is not bound by budget constraints. Same thing with 5.56mm assault rifles, only Special Op units in the process of being outfitted so far with the rest remaning to be seen.
The regular units do get them when they are performing IS duties. But in regular operations it has not been made a priority by the Army. As for the 5.56 the best option right now would be the G-3 based platforms but just as you said the $caching$ is not flowing and there is no pressing need to replace the current family of weapons as their performance has been satisfactory.

Mohafiz is intended as an armoured choice for internal security agencies and are already in service with different police forces in the country. Al-Talha APC has already reached the 300+ production mark and has been handed over to various segments of the PA. 'Saad' is reportedly an IFV with much improved capabilities over the Al-Talha but that remains to be seen since the project is shrouded in mystery and there aren't many pictures or even detailed specs available (many being contradictory).
Most AD formations now have the new Al-Talah and the Mech are awaiting delivery. Now the Saad is a devicive topic in the Army and very rightly so. The M113 will never be a IFV and the west + the Israelies have acknoledged that after years of upgrades. It is time we started looking at proper IFVs. The first Saad will hit the theater for field testing by the end of the year. Here's a pic and look whats on top!!!

http://www.defencetalk.com/pictures/showphoto.php/photo/24510/size/big

Old info. PA has already taken delivery of 115 M109A5 SP artillery from the US with up to 20 units of Panter procured from Turkey. It is believed that a combination of M109A5 and Panters will form the punch of the PA's artillery force.
And most of the feild guns are projected to be replaced by the M198s and I hope in the long run by the M777.

No word has come up as to which system is being seen as the lead contender to fulfill Pakistans air-defence needs to replace its obsolete systems.
The skyguard and its relatives are not obslete in any way and as I have stated above that be ready for some good news soon.

kizilsungur

I think this would further the cause of "Unity in Diversity" in Pakistan-specific paradigm.

I wish all the best to Sardar Harcharan Singh.
I tested Pakistan MaschinenGewehr Drei in IDEF '07 Military Fairy. They are the same as Turk MG-3s. I have some photos about IDEF '07. :)

yess

I tested Pakistan MaschinenGewehr Drei in IDEF '07 Military Fairy. They are the same as Turk MG-3s. I have some photos about IDEF '07. :)
woooo we will be happy to see those pictures. please upload them for the defencetalk community, and then i wanna upload them on youtube if you would let me.

WAR

Defence exports rise to $40m: POF chief

The Link is:
http://www.dawn.com/2007/08/24/top10.htm

Defence exports rise to $40m: POF chief

By Ihtasham ul Haque

ISLAMABAD, Aug 23: Pakistan’s defence exports increased to more than $40 million in 2006-07 and France, Germany, South Korea, Turkey and other countries have offered joint ventures to manufacture and market small arms and ammunition.

“The industry is also meeting domestic requirements of sophisticated arms and ammunition,” the chairman of the Pakistan Ordnance Factories, Wah, Lt-Gen Syed Sabahat Husain said.

He said the POF’s aggressive marketing efforts had helped it to enhance defence exports in 2006-07 and now it aimed to get more orders.

He said some other countries, including Malaysia and Argentina, had also decided to offer joint ventures.

He said the POF signed a cooperation agreement with Poongsan of South Korea for co-production and co-marketing of complete rounds of 155mm base-burn dual-purpose improved conventional munition (BB-DPICM) by the POF. According to the agreement, the first lot would be delivered to the GHQ in 2007-08.

The POF’s share of work would gradually increase to 50 per cent, starting from 10 per cent. “On our request, the procurement of complete rounds planned by the Pakistan Army was diverted to the POF. The POF renegotiated the price of the ammunition with M/s Poongsan on C&F basis, which resulted in a saving of $2.726 million,” Gen Husain said.Pakistan, he said, would be getting technology transferred through the joint venture. The joint venture, he said, would provide new market access to Pakistan.

He said the POF and MKEK of Turkey had agreed to share expertise in joint R&D projects to meet requirements of both Pakistani and Turkish armies. Pakistan Army, he said, was interested in extending the range of its existing stock of 122mm multiple-barrel rocket launchers from 20kms to 40kms. POF has short listed Edepro of Serbia in this regard. Modalities of the joint venture will be finalised subject to successful trials and acceptance by Pakistan Army.

“Also, Nexter of France has agreed to join hands for co-production and co-marketing of 155mm hollow base/base bleed LU211 artillery,” he said adding that trials were expected in September 2007.

He said the POF was planning to build CNG cylinders in cooperation with an Argentine company.

He also said that POF was planning to outsource some of its work to the private sector to concentrate on its core businesses. The outsourcing to the private sector, he pointed out, would be in the downstream industry.

He said that POF had been tasked by the Ministry of Defence Production to prepare feasibility for manufacturing third generation ammunition.

POF has developed an indigenous version of 9mm pistols and is negotiating with international firms, including FN Herstal of Belgium for co-production and co-marketing.

POF was also exploring the possibility of joint venture with Hiehl of Germany for smart and advanced ammunition.

Nitrocheme, one of the top manufacturers of the modular charge system for artillery ammunition, has also agreed to cooperate with POF.

POF is engaged with Rocketsan of Turkey to produce 122mm extended range rockets subject to successful trials and acceptance by Pakistan Army.

Lanx of US has offered to co-produce protective suits for the army by utilising POF facilities.

=================

It seems that the IDEAS conference initiated some years back on a regular basis started yeilding results. Its a good omen that POF and the related industry started contributing in enhancing exports and getting the much needed foreign exchange.

Joint ventures would surely add to the existing capabilities of POF. As mentioned above (in the story), the products would be cost effective too.

One can hope that the exports would reach to one billion dollars plus in the coming years.

gary1910

Turkey 155mm Panter howitzer is a licensed production of Singapore's FH-2000, so buy more!!!

I am sure that STK will be very happy with loyalties received.

JDW report:

http://www.janes.com/defence/news/jdw/jdw000517_2_n.shtml

And if Pakistan want to go for Firtina, the gun itself was also a design of STK.

http://www.caat.org.uk/publications/countries/turkey-precis-0303.pdf

And I quote:
Subsequently a $4.5 million contract was awarded to
Singapore Technologies for 6 guns, and a separate $2.5 million
contract was awarded for Technical Data Packages.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
I visited Heavy Industries Texila (HIT) today (11/12/07). [Yes I saw Al-Khalid & Al-Zarar, in fact set in Al-Khalid for for several minutes in the seat of Tank Commander. ]

Held several discussions with the officials, asked question from HIT's Chairman but most of the time they were discrete & didn't really satisfy my questions.

Anyways thought I should give following (small) information that they gave today:

1. Al-Khalid's (1) production will carry on till 2015.
2. Al-Khalid 2 program is in R&D & serial production will start from 2019.
3. No plan for establishing engine factory or indigenous engine.

Not much info on Al-Khalid 2 except that the chairman said it would be completely different & a next generation tank. Completely different from Al-Khalid 1.

Also HIT has decided to have Al-Khalid name/designation series. Meaning any tank developed by HIT for Pakistan Army would be named as Al-Khalid along with a variant number.

Yes I did take pictures but with my cell phone. I have lost my Cell Phone's USB Cable. As soon as I find it or arrange for another one I would upload pics on DT. Also since it was Cell Phone's camera I apologize if they comes out lacking in quality.

Last edited:

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
And they were comfortable with you snapping pics with your cellular phone?
Inside the factory they weren't but still got hold of some pics there & in respect of the HIT & its officials I won't be posting several pics from inside the factory. Only few but interesting pics would be uploaded.

At the display center in AARDIC they not allow pics but also to have a very close look at everything (but not everything is displayed). But to get too close to stuff you at least have to be a Pakistani. Anyways, several pics from Display center. Will post them ASAP.

kay_man

niceeeee

very nice,
but i guess many of the pictures are already shared and there are videoes even on you-tube

anyway,
perhaps u can answer 1 question that has been nagging in my mind for a long time,

what is the armour details on al-khalid armour. coz every site i went to it just says that the armour specifications are classified or unknown.....etc

every pakistani site brags about the pricetag and the speed of the al-khalid, none mention armour.

could u be kind enough to tell me these details in terms of penetration of AP and heat rounds etc.

[Mod edit]
kay_man, please don't post like this. Try using upper & lower case appropriately, & words, not SMS abbreviations. e.g. - you not u, because not coz. Please.

PJI
[/Mod edit]

Aliph Ahmed

Banned Member
perhaps u can answer 1 question that has been nagging in my mind for a long time,

what is the armour details on al-khalid armour. coz every site i went to it just says that the armour specifications are classified or unknown.....etc
You answered the question yourself. :)

First time Pakistani transitional Al- Khalid crews have reported a very pleasent surprise from the kick Al-Khalid gives in first gear:

0-32 km in 10 Seconds. :D

Ordering of 600 tanks and more planned sure gives a hint of their satisfaction.

mysterious

I'd be interested in finding out what has happened with regards to the Saad IFV which MG-3 here suggested would be put through production by end of 2007. The picture he provided, however, looked like a modified M113. Needless to say it will not be much effective unless P.A opts for a true IFV platform. Updates anyone? Sabre?

kay_man

You answered the question yourself. :)

First time Pakistani transitional Al- Khalid crews have reported a very pleasent surprise from the kick Al-Khalid gives in first gear:

0-32 km in 10 Seconds. :D

Ordering of 600 tanks and more planned sure gives a hint of their satisfaction.
yes yes , i know about the speed.Its impressive, but that alone does not amke a good mbt. Tell me more about the armour.

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Understand it: Specifications about the armor are classified. If there are people in this Forum who know more about it than they wont tell you or anybody else, because that is what "classified" means.

Aliph Ahmed

Banned Member
yes yes , i know about the speed.Its impressive, but that alone does not amke a good mbt. Tell me more about the armour.
You are acknowldeging yourself that whichever site you went, you found the armor classifications as classified.

So I am at loss to which part of classified you dont understand ? :confused:

Mod edit: It was already answered in above post - no need to iterate. /GD

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Aliph Ahmed

Banned Member
Do you really believe in that figure, is it for shaped charges or KE projectiles.
I only posted an article. However, I am convinced that the original data is classified. There are certain things that I know but I dont have any link or source to prove. So I am chosing not to say or the Mods will edit it. Lol.

I have been reading your posts. You are one of the knowledgeble persons on tanks on this forum. You tell us. Your opinion will be appreciated.