Pak to get 60 US cobra gunship copters by year-end

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
We shud still concentrate on reducing the amount of US equipment in our arsenals. The Rooivalk is a suitable alternative to the AH-1 and the ? Oryx ? is a helicopter capable of using in high altitude areas. Moreover we shud get the Mi-17s from China and some other helicopter for ASW. The americans r just itching to clamp an embargoe on us so all their military equipment basically becums useless in wartime and reduces the amount of time pakistan needs to fight a war.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Pakistan is not looking for Apaches and US won't give Pakistan any apache. They are not an option. Cobras, haven't heard anything regarding those but they were set to come in '04 and early '05.

DRUB

this is regarding embargoes or sanctions. The simple fact is that Pakistan has a history of being under some sort of sanctions. Yet, the sad thing is that it is still reliant on other major suppliers for its military needs. However, the emergence of the light ammunitions factory in addition to the development of some serious arms (Al-Khalid) is a step in the right direction.

Why not take the Gunships? Pakistan should know by now that any new hardware they are given is object to santions. THus, Pakistan must start to attempt to reverse engineer or gain as much tech from the hardware as possible.

just my thoughts :)

mysterious

Yes DRUB, Pakistan very well knows it has more cons in its way than pros. So as you have seen with the production of Al-Khalid tanks, the upgradation of T-59s to Al-Zarrar tanks, the past of the K-8 jet trainer being made in Pakistan and other important things being produced indigenously, Pakistan is moving in the right direction because it knows that it cannot trust anyone but China and a 'few' Islamic states. Hopefully the indigenous arms industry will become more and more sophisticated in a few years time with the probable help by the Chinese and funding by countries such as Saudi Arabia and then Pakistan would be able to make even more complex weapon systems at home. :pak

saraab

i dont remember where, but i read it somewhere a long time back, that Pakistan has resisted the involvment of the private sector in defence production.
I think with the private sector being made more acitve or rather allowed to play an sctive role , the industry could be made more effective.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
saraab said:
i dont remember where, but i read it somewhere a long time back, that Pakistan has resisted the involvment of the private sector in defence production.
I think with the private sector being made more acitve or rather allowed to play an sctive role , the industry could be made more effective.
There are some clear benefit in allowing the private sector to be involved. There are certainly greater efficiencies to be realised.

mysterious

Wrong, private sector is involved quite a bit in the defence production. Infact at the last Ideas 2002, there were quite sophisticated things produced by private companies that were at display.

Admin Edit: Who are you addressing this response towards?