Pak to get 60 US cobra gunship copters by year-end

farina

I heard some of these cobra gunships were already delivered and are petrolling Pakistans western border hunting down Taliban and AL-kaeda elements. Pakistan has been very secrative of its weapons imports, most militaries are thats why it was never in the media other than that cobra's will be given to pak!

The Watcher

farina said:
I heard some of these cobra gunships were already delivered and are petrolling Pakistans western border hunting down Taliban and AL-kaeda elements. Pakistan has been very secrative of its weapons imports, most militaries are thats why it was never in the media other than that cobra's will be given to pak!
news is cool but...
source ??? :alian

umair

Peace Enforcer
The Watcher said:
farina said:
news is cool but...
Must be someone on the inside.I got the same thing too from my AA uncle and he was incharge of the whole deal from our side.The rest I don't know the exact number will be delivered sometime this year.

elkaboingo

i doubt cobras would be used for hunting rebels, they arent designed for that and i dont know how effective they would be. i think they would use the bell 407s for that. just have two Mgs on it and its great for strafing a house or something.

also, fill me in, all of you who have contacts on the 'inside' thanks. greatly appreciated.

farina

umair said:
The Watcher said:
farina said:
news is cool but...
Must be someone on the inside.I got the same thing too from my AA uncle and he was incharge of the whole deal from our side.The rest I don't know the exact number will be delivered sometime this year.
They will be delivered as they come available. I believe some armybase in USA had too many of them and now they are up for export and luckily its pakistan's turn. Some reward for being a partner in war against terror.

Eklboingo, they are excellent against taliban and al-kaeda forces due to the nature of weapons they carry(both cobras and talibs). Moving around in the mountains isn't easy and I think cobras do a great job at that. Initially, pakistan requested cobras for such purpose.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Does anyone know what the effective maximum altitude of operation is? My understanding is that the Cobras are better at altitude work than the russian or french helo's, but thats only hearsay from people I know.

I know that the Taiwanese has significant problems with performance and lift out of their mirages at altitude than F16's. I was under the impression that some French helos also tended to starve faster as well.

farina

There is a picture of a Pakistani soldier praying while his cobra is parked behind him somewhere high like siachen. Can someone pleease get that?

elkaboingo

you have to have a really high rotor speed as the airs thinner. we also use that really small bell helo (cant remember teh name)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
what altitude is siachen?

I thought that alouettes were used by the swiss for alpine rescue work. So on that basis they should be reasonable platforms.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
:D the next tricky question is what is the effective altitude of operation for a solid fueled manpad...

if its greater than 21k, then you better get some good stand off weapons... :)

elkaboingo

gf0012 said:
:D the next tricky question is what is the effective altitude of operation for a solid fueled manpad...

if its greater than 21k, then you better get some good stand off weapons... :)
scary thing is bad weather is what downs the most helos up there. for AA, there is the mg3 machine gun, i dont know what the indians have though.

attack helos arent used up there, i think too heavy. when you go up that high, the fighting gets a little bit 'primative' ;)

A

Aussie Digger

I'm certainly no expert on high altitude Helo Ops, but I've read that the US was desperate in Afganistan to get more CH-47D Chinooks in theatre as they were the only US helicopter capable of operating at the extreme altitudes of Afganistan due to their size and power. Wouldn't this then mean that a powerful helicopter like the Supercobra would also be suitable for the high altitude?

Winter

Putting it roughly, the standard AH-1 Cobra has a ceiling of just below 15,000ft and the latest model (AH-1Z SuperCobra) around and over 20,000ft.

:frosty

Hope that helps. : )

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Both Pakistan and India use the EUROCOPTER (AEROSPATIALE) SA 315B LAMA II in Siachin for high altitude operations. Although the Puma (and others) can reach uptil the basecamp altitudes..only the Lama goes in to the front lines. No other helicopter in the world can operate at that altitude.

Now regarding the cobra. In the news report around 2 months ago when Pakistani army launched an operation against suspected anti social elements in the tribal agency (Angor Adda operation)...AH-1 Cobras were used supported by Special forces on the ground.
The altitude in the tribal areas is nowhere near the Northern Himalayan regions...and the Cobra can easily operate there.

Oh and here is the picture for Farina:

Albaian

Has anyone thought of somethingcool about the Cobras.....if we run short of spares...we can buy from Iran...who make their own version of Cobras.

Bilal_Khan

According to my sources the U.S is to supply Pakistan with 40 AH-1F Attack Helicopters, and 40 UH-1H Medium Transport Helicopters by the start of 2005.
Initially the deal reported to have 30 AH-1Fs, and 30 UH-1Hs to be given to Pakistan in aid. The Pakistan Army Aviation Corps added 10 more AH-1Fs, and 10 UH-1Hs with it's own money. The 80 Helicopters are used, and will heavily be refurbished making then good as new.

These 80 New Helicopters will reinforce the fleet of 20 AH-1Ss, and 20 UH-1Hs totalling 120 American Helicopters in the PA. Along with that I could expect 25 Mi-17 Heavy Transport Helicopters, and 25 Panther Medium Transport Helicopters.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Well that is nice if it is happening. By the way where did you get the numbers for the Mi-17 and the Puma. (I presume you meant the Puma). Bilal.