NZDF General discussion thread

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Info on the NZDF Data Fusion System. This is taken directly from the RFI and is only part of what's in the RFI.

Background.
The Data Fusion System (DFS) project seeks to deliver Maritime Domain Awareness for more than 20 government agencies. Capable of ingestion of a variety of data types from a range of domestic, international and space based sources, the DFS will be available to analysts and stakeholders across the country providing access to near-real time intelligence across New Zealand’s vast maritime domain. The DFS has a direct correlation to the System Pillar of the Maritime Security Strategy 2019 and will provide not only an immediate, standalone capability but will also be a key building block for future projects in the Maritime Security Sector. The tools and visualisations provided by the DFS will enable the Maritime Security Agencies (the Agencies) to identify, assess and mitigate threats to New Zealand’s interests in the marine environment. Those tools will enable observation, inference and analysis, and provide automated alerts to key user groups to notify them of behavioural anomalies and potential threats.
Project Outcomes.
Briefly, the project seeks to procure a Data Fusion System and secure maintenance services for ongoing support and development of the capability through life. Budget is being sought for a 25 year lifetime. While detailed requirements will be provided, in order to achieve the benefits outlined in the Single Stage Business Case (SSBC), the implemented system must be able to: - Fuse and correlate multiple data types from multiple sources; - Display a Common Operational Picture (COP); - Conduct automated rules-based and heuristic analysis of vessel behaviour; - Alert users, (individually or by logical grouping) to behavioural anomalies or potential threats; and - Provide the means to manually conduct longitudinal analysis of individual entities, geographic areas and periods of time both natively within the system and through API / export to external tools.

There is an industry briefing at 13:30 – 16:00, Tuesday 16 May 2023 in Wellington.

Gibbo

....will provide not only an immediate, standalone capability but will also be a key building block for future projects in the Maritime Security Sector. ...
Yes makes sense ... it is just one, critical pillar of what the EMAC project proposes to deliver. I guess any indication at this point of what those 'future projects' would be is purely speculative but I think we'd all like to see the upcoming dfence review re-inforce the previously identfied need for an airborne capability to complement & free-up the P8. Interesting times!

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I watched the Coronation live the other night and the ceremonial really impressed me. Of course nobody can do ceremonial and pageantry like the Poms. The RN drill movement where they went from 12 columns to six was stunning. A completely new drill movement. There will be some RSMs watching that who think that it is something to try with the troops :D I hated parades when I was in, but I would've sold me starboard bollock to have been on that one. BZ to all who participated.
If only SSN builds could be done like pageantry. It was an impressive show, I watched it live as well. A shame the weather reduced the flyby.

chis73

Info on the NZDF Data Fusion System. This is taken directly from the RFI and is only part of what's in the RFI.
I guess the confusing part of this for me is how the Data Fusion System (DFS) relates to the existing National Maritime Coordination Centre (NMCC), established following the Maritime Patrol Review of 2001 & currently funded under the Customs Vote, which ostensibly seems to be doing exactly the same job (coordinating maritime domain awareness intelligence and allocating resources for patrol etc). The proposed DFS would seem to be under military control, so perhaps the intelligence sources available to it (ie. P-8, military satellites) may be more highly classified than those available to the NMCC. Otherwise it seems to be duplicating an existing entity.
------

I'm glad the pay gap has been addressed in this year's budget. Whether it will be enough to stem the exodus remains to be seen, especially now that Australia is targeting NZDF personnel to fill the ADF's own deficiencies. The housing projects seem very underwhelming - upgrading a grand total of 13 houses; are the 50 new houses at Waiouru actually for Defence personnel or for local iwi? The most disappointing aspect is that the weeping sore that is Navy accommodation at Devonport hasn't been addressed.

What use is the camp at Waiouru being put too these days? Other than as a training/exercise area, it seems to have been largely abandoned as a permanent base. In my submission for the Defence Policy Review, I suggested several possible new uses for Waiouru:
a) a state munitions arsenal (for unguided munitions eg. bullets, grenades, mortar, artillery & RCL rounds), possibly for manufacture of simple small arms as well (for a strategic reserve in case of a mobilisation).
b) a tracked vehicle unit & small armoured school (operating Bronco3 or BVS-10 amphibious articulated tracked vehicles and perhaps something like a small number [<10] of CV90 with a Cockerill 105mm turret as tank substitutes for tank-infantry coordination training).

Teal

Good mornjng All
Re Accom and Naval Base
From my perspective the Govt decision to retain the current Base in location is the cheap option and flawed, as it does not address the two main issues, 1, the dry dock size , and 2 , off base accom for service pers. There is chatter about a move of some facilities to Northport, but as the Wx this year has shown , this would be a disaster unless roading and rail is completely re engineered.
With the decision to stay in situ whats needed is the building of half a dozen of 6+ level appartment blocks Takapuna south , a combination of 1, 2 and 3 bedroom. This would allow our pers to upgrade as their lives do. Maybe a PPP?
The drydock is the hard one, maybe the building of a complete new facility in Tauranga or down the coast ?
The sheer cost of rebuilding the current base , whilst remaining operational would be emmense,
Personally , i would build a new green fields Base in the firth of Thames , maybe combined with a new port to replace Auckland , i remember seeing a proposal a few years ago for this new port.
Just my ramblings between meetings

Gibbo

I guess the confusing part of this for me is how the Data Fusion System (DFS) relates to the existing National Maritime Coordination Centre (NMCC), established following the Maritime Patrol Review of 2001 & currently funded under the Customs Vote, which ostensibly seems to be doing exactly the same job (coordinating maritime domain awareness intelligence and allocating resources for patrol etc). The proposed DFS would seem to be under military control, so perhaps the intelligence sources available to it (ie. P-8, military satellites) may be more highly classified than those available to the NMCC. Otherwise it seems to be duplicating an existing entity.
-----
Yes is it a 'NZDF' Data Fusion system or an 'all of Govt' Data Fusion system... not clear really.

Gracie1234

I would expect that the NZ Data Fusion system will be used by all of the stakeholders including NMCC. It will use the IT infrastructure being built at Whenuapai.
I expect this will be a core national capability. The key is that we need to build the data capture nodes to feed into it i.e. sources of information that will include people, P8, EMAC, drones etc.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A secret squirrel eh? When I was at DEFHQ they were domiciled in the Freyberg Building.
Yep, the floor above me when I was there, we were 7th they were 8th, I was called up there to finish my security clearance due to one of my cousins living in South Africa at the time which was a no no back then. As I had not spoken to her in 20 od years I was some what surprised at the trouble this caused and the number of what I considered bloody stupid questions I had to answer.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Gibbo

Defence Minister Andrew Little on NZDF, global tensions, and cyber-security | Newshub Nation

At the very least, we're seeing a lot more of our DEFMIN, compare to the last one.
Hmmm, very good...refreshing to see the penny has finally dropped... just hope for consistency in the message bewteen DefMins going fwd. The problem with the last one was he was a junior minister & probably didn't stand a chance around the cabinet table... Little is a very different beast.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Just a note, ACT released their election policies today and they intend to have defence spending at the NATO 2% GDP. So they have gotten the message.
I did see this policy some time ago, the big question is that if they get the money what will they spend it on. The other point is that NZ First had a similar policy and never got it across the line. they eventually dropped the policy, probably due to Winston's idea's, he never really understood defence. I will what to see how it pans out before any celebrations are forthcoming.
I think that to get the defence budget in a position to really make a difference, the capital charge has to go as currently they give with one hand and take back with the other.

Teal

Good afternoon All. I saw this come up in my news feed today and got me thinking again of a post I made last year (#7297) on this thread. I know one could easily fob this single news item off as a folly, but it’s the concept that worries me and the impact for New Zealand (NZDF) in the years to come. Whilst we (rightly so) focus on our Pacific brothers we must also have the ability to conduct continuous Ops in the Southern Ocean/Antarctica. The NZDF, all threes services, must have the kit going forward and pers to be able to operate on the ice and ocean/sky’s adjoining. I know 2048 seems a long way off, but as seen here, things can and will change very quickly. We must be prepared. I can only hope (not counting chickens) the DSR will consider this.