NZ Space Activity

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rocket Lab marks new milestone with first-ever NZ built and launched satellite

The successful launch is a milestone and a very quick turn around since their failed Mission 13. Photon is also a game-changar as now companies only have to worry about making the sensors and add them to Photon, and RocketLab will do the rest.
Yep,. It's also something that NZDF and associated secret squirrel agencies should seriously look at, if they already aren't. We do have the brains and capabilities here to build or own sensors. Not just that but SATCOMS sats as well and maybe one to order take away hangi kai. Yum yum :)

Nighthawk.NZ

Yep,. It's also something that NZDF and associated secret squirrel agencies should seriously look at, if they already aren't.
It would not surprise me one bit if they were already eyeing this up. Photon was made public 18(ish) months ago, and I said then it would be a good platform for the NZDF, being used as a communications relay, and as you said SATCOMS etc... another one with other sensors and gizmo's etc... as overall they are pretty cheap... and it would be all local builds etc... will say it again would be a good starting platform.

Nighthawk.NZ

Latest Rocker Lab launch from their Mahia Peninsula launch facility tonight. 'The Owl's Night Begins'
Watched it last night now just need to get the last mission and this mission patch...

It is quiet a decent sized satellite that they lobbed into the sky for a small launch vehicle. Though they technically could carry more weight/mass the physical size and shape meant the had a special fairing cowls...

Satellite module sitting atop the Photon kickstage Credit: Rocketlab from Twitter

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Watched it last night now just need to get the last mission and this mission patch...

It is quiet a decent sized satellite that they lobbed into the sky for a small launch vehicle. Though they technically could carry more weight/mass the physical size and shape meant the had a special fairing cowls...

Satellite module sitting atop the Photon kickstage Credit: Rocketlab from Twitter

They're doing the moon shot for NASA next year. Well I think it's next year.

CJR

So, after years of saying they'd stick to small sat launchers RocketLab have just announced they'll develop a new rocket able to put 8-tons into low earth orbit:
RocketLab to develop a new, bigger reusable rockets.
Rocket Lab today unveiled its medium-lift Neutron rocket—an advanced new generation reusable launch vehicle with an 8-ton payload lift capacity tailored for mega constellations, deep space missions and human spaceflight. Neutron will be able to lift more than 90% of all satellites forecast to launch through 2029 and introduce highly disruptive lower costs to the high-growth constellation market by leveraging Electron’s heritage, launch sites and architecture.
Oh, and if ya wanna watch Peter Beck eat his hat:

Nighthawk.NZ

Not only building a bigger launch vehicle... which Peter said they will never do, and that is after the reusability... But the Neutron is human spaceflight capable as he also said "we never fly meat" meaning humans.

"At Rocketlab, when we say we're never going to do something, we still do it anyway..."

All I can say is exciting ties ahead for spaceflight.

neutron_electron.pngrocket-lab-neutron-640x353.jpg
Images credited to RocketLab

KiwiRob

Not only building a bigger launch vehicle... which Peter said they will never do, and that is after the reusability... But the Neutron is human spaceflight capable as he also said "we never fly meat" meaning humans.

"At Rocketlab, when we say we're never going to do something, we still do it anyway..."

All I can say is exciting ties ahead for spaceflight.

View attachment 48044View attachment 48045
Images credited to RocketLab
Beck isn't in charge anymore. What he said way back when is no longer valid.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Podcast on NZ space industry. What amazed me is it's worth more than our wine industry, and how big the industry is. The new Kaitorete launch facility is not to far from me so when it's operational I will be able to wander out for a nosy. Have seen SOFIA quite often when she visits.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see 30 hippies came to town.

“We made it clear that this is against New Zealand’s independent foreign policy, and integrates us into the United States military chain,” Robson told The Spinoff.

Well I hope not just the US military chain - but the military chain (defence alliance) of all the great liberal democracies and like minded partners of the world. Hope as many of them are on board with this as well. But then again I am not a hippy.

Cheers, MrC

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I see 30 hippies came to town.

“We made it clear that this is against New Zealand’s independent foreign policy, and integrates us into the United States military chain,” Robson told The Spinoff.

Well I hope not just the US military chain - but the military chain (defence alliance) of all the great liberal democracies and like minded partners of the world. Hope as many of them are on board with this as well. But then again I am not a hippy.

Cheers, MrC
As long as the hippies didn't find out about the secret ICBM program in Christchurch with the genetically modified bionic nuclear multi-sheep warhead. It's a joint program between AgResearch, Lincoln University, University of Canterbury Physics and Engineering Depts, and various space firms. It's a baaarilliant program.

Aluminium Hail

As long as the hippies didn't find out about the secret ICBM program in Christchurch with the genetically modified bionic nuclear multi-sheep warhead. It's a joint program between AgResearch, Lincoln University, University of Canterbury Physics and Engineering Depts, and various space firms. It's a baaarilliant program.
The rumor I heard on the Tai Tapu golf course was that they were looking at fitting them with MIRV's - multiple independently targeted ruminant vehicles.

CJohn

The New Zealand Space Agency and LeoLabs of San Francisco are working together to develop a cloud-based software platform for monitoring space activity.
New Zealand’s Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment announced the multiyear deal on Aug. 5th. LeoLabs has completed construction of the new radar on New Zealand’s South Island and is obtaining data for testing and calibration.

New Zealand and LeoLabs sign multiyear deal for Space Regulatory platform - SpaceNews

Nighthawk.NZ

Rocket lab now trading on the NASDAQ with the SPAC merger. Developing the Neutron an 8 tonne to LEO and1.5 tonne to interplanetary launch vehicle that will be able to carry humans if needed. They have a Moon Mission with Capstone this October, being launch from NZ. Two of their Photon's are going to Mars and a private mission to Venus in the next few years...

They have a mission very soon though new dates are not known due to lockdown was supposed to be at the end of August...

DawnAerospace have been making headway as well with their Aurora project the MK-II was is basically proof of concept. But they also make and sell small and cubesat propulsion systems and have a few signed contracts...

Exciting times...

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Stuff article on the NZ space scene. A review of the Outer Space and High-Altitude Activities Act (2017) is happening at the moment and only seven submissions were received. The peace action groups are up in arms as usual because of US military payloads being launched by Rocket Lab from Mahia, but that's their normal anti American hate coming out. The green fraternity are up in arms as well.

Approval has been given for a second launch facility to be built on the Kaitorete Peninsula out of Christchurch. This will be great if it goes ahead because Christchurch is becoming NZ's space hub.

Dawn Aerospace are continuing with their spaceplane and still favouring Oamaru as their launch and recovery base. However I saw elsewhere that if the NZG doesn't sort out the MIQ problems they may take their operation offshore, because they can't get people into the country.

The satellite surveillance and communications side of the industry is progressing well too. Central Otago and Southland are the two dominant regions in this area. There are also a significant number of space technology and related businesses in Christchurch and Auckland with the larger number being Christchurch based. So it's looking good for the NZ space industry, as long as the government doesn't stuff it up.