NZ Space Activity

Kiwigov

Rocket Lab are launching a DARPA satellite next month from it's Mahia Peninsula launch site. This is after Rock Lab undertook a successful mini-sat launch for NASA recently, also from the Mahia launch site.
Very interesting that such major US government institutions are expressing such a vote of confidence in Rocket Lab, at this early stage of its commercial launch delivery. Sure, the fact that it's (now) a US company would 'tick the box' for them, but I assume they would still have undertaken a full engineering due diligence.

barney41

Rocket Lab have carved themselves a nice little niche at the low end of the market for the next several years perhaps. StratoLaunch and VirginOrbit are some years behind but are focused on the small.satellite launch market.

htbrst

Rocket lab have announced that the Electron is going to be made reusable to assist with launch frequency essentially; The first stage will be caught via Helicopter

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rocket lab have announced that the Electron is going to be made reusable to assist with launch frequency essentially; The first stage will be caught via Helicopter
You reckon like this :D

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Rocket Lab are lauching a satellite for the US NRO from it's Mahia launch complex, The US will launch its next spy satellite from New Zealand at the end of this month Rocket Lab lines up another US military launch - this time for spook agency. This has upset the local anti US mob Greens 'concerned' about Rocket Lab launch for US spy agency. Rocket Lab recently opened its 2nd launch site, Launch Complex 2 at Wallops Island, VA, USA and now has started build another launch pad at Launch Complex 1 - Mahia, which when completed will give it a total of 3 launch pads. Rocket Lab to open a third launch pad — its second in New Zealand – TechCrunch.

Meanwhile, a Kiwi - Dutch company, Dawn Aerospace, is investigating using Oamaru on the east coast of the South Island (45°S) as a base for a reusable spaceplane able to launch satellites. The intention is set up at Oamaru airport with the possibility of test flights this year. Oamaru joins the space race.

There is also a new space radar that has just become operation in Naseby, Central Otago, at is being used to monitor and track space junk Radar in Central Otago will help reveal size of space junk problem. Finally there is the Awarua ground station outside of Invercargill that has been operational for years Southland's satellite station is significant in the space community.

So it's all go in the Kiwi space community at the moment. If Dawn Aerospace get their space vehicle up and running, NZ will be the first nation to have a fully reusable spaceplane in operation that doesn't require rockets for launch and can deliver satellites into orbit.

KiwiRob

Rocket Lab are lauching a satellite for the US NRO from it's Mahia launch complex, The US will launch its next spy satellite from New Zealand at the end of this month Rocket Lab lines up another US military launch - this time for spook agency. This has upset the local anti US mob Greens 'concerned' about Rocket Lab launch for US spy agency. Rocket Lab recently opened its 2nd launch site, Launch Complex 2 at Wallops Island, VA, USA and now has started build another launch pad at Launch Complex 1 - Mahia, which when completed will give it a total of 3 launch pads. Rocket Lab to open a third launch pad — its second in New Zealand – TechCrunch.
So that would be what the secret cargo the USAF C17 delivered a couple of weeks ago.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
So that would be what the secret cargo the USAF C17 delivered a couple of weeks ago.
Yep, the one that Aunty Herald was getting its overly large panties in a big twist about. I absolutely refuse to pay a subscription to them. Will be the same if Stuff go down that path as well.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, the one that Aunty Herald was getting its overly large panties in a big twist about. I absolutely refuse to pay a subscription to them. Will be the same if Stuff go down that path as well.
In my view the Aunty Herald died in 2006 when the rag went tabloid. Even then it was a shadow of its former self. Print version circulation now is under 120000. Back in the 80's and 90's the Saturday edition had more in it than a weeks worth today, was better written as well and sold twice as many.

Nighthawk.NZ

Pretty sure RocketLab have a launch window in the next few days... Birds of a Feather | Rocket Lab (have been following them since the beginning)

I am looking forward to when they try to recover the booster with a sky-hook... the last mission had extra do-dars and bits and bobs (yes my technical term for extra instruments) gathering data the re-entry speed, temp etc etc... they reckon they can do it...

As a side note, I have all the mission patches except the first two :-( They didn't do a big enough run and I missed out...

Nighthawk.NZ

Rocket Lab marks new milestone with first-ever NZ built and launched satellite

The successful launch is a milestone and a very quick turn around since their failed Mission 13. Photon is also a game-changar as now companies only have to worry about making the sensors and add them to Photon, and RocketLab will do the rest.