North Korea VS South Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firehorse

Banned Member
Seoul rethinks US's marching orders
If a second Korean war were to break out, the US would have to take charge of a vast infusion of air and naval power and bring in much new armor and artillery. South Korea, however, would supply most of the ground forces, at least initially.
Does the US military have enough of those, without compromising SENTCOM AOR? My guestimate is a NO!

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Does the US military have enough of those, without compromising SENTCOM AOR? My guestimate is a NO!
The US military, including the National Guard Units, has somewhere between 6,000 and 8,000 Abrams. Should definitely leave a couple thousand for Korea.

"Modern" artillery is a problem with the US anyway, what with them relying on the M109 (even though it's the A6, it's still a M109 at heart).

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
All initial ground combat will most likely belong solely to the ROK ground units with U.S Commanders in overall control of the big picture so to speak, if the war was to drag out then I could envision 8th Army shipping ground units in to offer assistance. Our air and naval assetts will play a major factor in tipping the scales in favor for ROK. I think you under estimate our committment and capabilities, do not let Iraq and Afhganistan fool you we do not need boots on the ground in this region to fight the North Koreans.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The US military, including the National Guard Units, has somewhere between 6,000 and 8,000 Abrams. Should definitely leave a couple thousand for Korea.

"Modern" artillery is a problem with the US anyway, what with them relying on the M109 (even though it's the A6, it's still a M109 at heart).
The Paladin is still quite effective at the current time but yes she is a old faithfull dog that has lost her bite to the likes of PZH2000 and Bravehearts.

M1 series tanks would not play a major factor in this potential conflict, even the ROK will be hard pressed to find enough safe passages to get all of theirs moving in a offensive poster.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
There is exactly one US heavy brigade combat team of ground troops still in Korea.
And they the bumper which makes sure that the US is going to enter the war if NK attacks SK.
I am not saying that they are not going to fight with skills and valor but they are still just one brigade.

I expect the US to fly in their ready brigade very quickly and whoever is available of their lighter units (82nd, 101st, 25th, 10th,...) additonally to the available MEUs.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Then what are those 29,000 (in ROK alone, besides those marines in Okinawa, Japan) troops are there for?
There were plans to eventually make them available for other theaters of operations, our agreement with the ROK should and can be modified due to the capabilities of ROKs ground forces, we have been for the recent years been looking for an excuse to pull them out.

With President Lee`s pro U.S attitude and his dismay for North Korea it will be interesting to see how our alliance may change again, we will see if he is successful in convincing us to leave our troops there.

Firehorse

Banned Member
I heard that before, but even having 1/5 that number would ensure the same result! After all, oficially the UN is calling the shots there, since there is armistice in place, not a peace threaty! So, the US would be excused if they decide to leave just a token number of personnel e.g. liason, logistics, intel, DMZ presence, and AD/security units, given a huge strain elsewhere.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
There is exactly one US heavy brigade combat team of ground troops still in Korea.
And they the bumper which makes sure that the US is going to enter the war if NK attacks SK.
I am not saying that they are not going to fight with skills and valor but they are still just one brigade.

I expect the US to fly in their ready brigade very quickly and whoever is available of their lighter units (82nd, 101st, 25th, 10th,...) additonally to the available MEUs.
Oh yes - the ride to the sound of the guns brigade, our motto.
We in the 2nd ID were called a speed bump for the North Koreans,:D you would see the the U.S Marine units from Okinawa and the 25th ID out of hoola skirt land get there rather quickly, equipment is already staged for them.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Here is a few photos showing the amount of room for manuver that armored units would be faced with in a offensive posture.

lobbie111

This would be the most bloodiest war ever fought if it took place...You would need a couple of thousand tanks to replenish the intitial losses faced by your forces in the case of NK launched a preemtive artillery strike. Although these artillery will not last very long after they have fired their first couple of shots, they would be dete4cted and destroyed by counter battery fire, missiles and aircraft strikes. NK does not have a hope IMHO of maintaining air superiority. After there intitial strikes are defeated the ROK and US forces will totally overwhelm any remaining NK units.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I have some doubt about the ability of the US and ROK forces to defeat the NK artillery right at the beginning of the conflict.
We are talking about a lot of barrels and rockets targeting the south.
Many of them out of hardened bunkers and prepared, fortified firing positions.

One needs a huge load of very accurate (and lucky) counterfire and aircraft sorties to silence them.

Another problem is that if you put nearly all your available guns on counterfire duty your frontline units loose their artillery support. The same with available strike aircrafts.
Makes the plan to destroy the majority of the NK forces during the approach by using artillery and air assets a little bit obsolete.
Trying to get enough guns and aircrafts into action during the first days to attack approaching NK units, destroy the NK artillery and give support to ROK and US ground units seems to be a little bit too optimistic to me.

lobbie111

I have some doubt about the ability of the US and ROK forces to defeat the NK artillery right at the beginning of the conflict.
We are talking about a lot of barrels and rockets targeting the south.
Many of them out of hardened bunkers and prepared, fortified firing positions.

One needs a huge load of very accurate (and lucky) counterfire and aircraft sorties to silence them.

Another problem is that if you put nearly all your available guns on counterfire duty your frontline units loose their artillery support. The same with available strike aircrafts.
Makes the plan to destroy the majority of the NK forces during the approach by using artillery and air assets a little bit obsolete.
Trying to get enough guns and aircrafts into action during the first days to attack approaching NK units, destroy the NK artillery and give support to ROK and US ground units seems to be a little bit too optimistic to me.
I wasn't refering to the speed and their ability to take down the artillery but as just about everyone has stated in the static bunker thread that they would be like ducks to the slaughter given the right ammunition, doesn't matter how quickly they do it, just that they are already known positions and are not mobile if they do end up being attacked.

adal

my opinion is with out the intervention of the us and china i think the north would destroy the south.
there are tens and thousands off artillary pieces aimed at the south these would lay waste to the cities off the south in a moment straight after the north will send in there large hordes off troops and tanks may be out dated but in large numbers they would role over the south forces itll be a bloody battle but the south will fail, the north koreans have large numbers off long range missiles aswell as the anti ship missile the silk worm which would even be able to destroy some off the biggist ships the us has.

ROCK45

Thread

adal
tens and thousands off artillary pieces aimed at the south these would lay waste to the cities
Besides Soul how many big cities do you think are in artillery range? Don't you think the south might fire back a little?

after the north will send in there large hordes off troops and tanks may be out dated
What are these hordes of troops eating while there waiting where the US wouldn't see or notice the build up? Where is the fuel coming from to fill the tanks that haven't upgrade in years?

the north koreans have large numbers off long range missiles aswell as the anti ship missile the silk worm which would even be able to destroy some off the biggist ships the us has.
How would the North Koreans find targets for these missiles? Any radar turn on would itself become a target. Command and control would be taken out and little orders would be getting through to most units after the first hour or so. US and South Korean aircraft would be tripping over each to hit the easy target with no air protection and 20 year old SAMs guarding them. Using stand-off weapons nothing has to get that close to all these deadly NK missiles in most cases.

Ozzy Blizzard

my opinion is with out the intervention of the us and china i think the north would destroy the south.
there are tens and thousands off artillary pieces aimed at the south these would lay waste to the cities off the south in a moment straight after the north will send in there large hordes off troops and tanks may be out dated but in large numbers they would role over the south forces itll be a bloody battle but the south will fail, the north koreans have large numbers off long range missiles aswell as the anti ship missile the silk worm which would even be able to destroy some off the biggist ships the us has.
The artillary implacements in the north are just meant inflict as much damage as possible on the northen cities in the south. They are suppose to inflict as much damage on civilian area's as possible becasue they are a form of deturrence. They would do little to actually aid an advance south.

As for the North walking over the south, well thats a pretty low probability IMO. The North just dont have the logistical capability to sustain a large scale mechanised advance south, hell they cant even feed their civilian population. in addition to that ROK air power would devistate NK's C3ISR capability, and their ability to maneuver would be extremely limited. On a unit for unit basis the SK's are much better. Any advance south would peter out in the face of huge ROK firepower + mobility or their logistical train couldnt sustain it, and lead to huge losses. If PROK left their fortifications and moved south the ROK's would probably be happy about it, it would expose them in the open and on the move to air strikes and PGM arty rounds. The commies would be cut to pieces without US air power. With US air power it woudnt be pretty.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I think that the author has overestimated uncle Kims capabilities or he is full of BS propaganda, he doesn`t even know the capabilities of North Koreas weapons systems. Plus he pretty much has failed to give alot of thought on what ROKs response will be. But yes - I for one do not under estimate what they are capable of, they are not starving and their tanks are not rusting away in motorpools with no petro as some people may think. The reason why the civilians are starving and cannot keep warm is because the military has priority over everything in that country.

Who gives a crap about the USS Pueblo,if they want to keep it then let them.

Status
Not open for further replies.