Next Generation MBT Discussion and Concepts

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Further information on Challanger 3. As being informed in media before, basically the program will be limited to certain amount of Challanger 2 (this inform 148) upgrade to Challanger 3.

Thus this program, or Bundeswher A7 or French Army Lecrec upgrade will seems be last stretch on current generation MBT iteration. If those upgrade can work out for another two decades of operations, by 2040 new generation of MBT should be operational. Thus means design for new generation of MBT should be fix by end this decade, by all those who still want to operate MBT.

Big_Zucchini

Further information on Challanger 3. As being informed in media before, basically the program will be limited to certain amount of Challanger 2 (this inform 148) upgrade to Challanger 3.

Thus this program, or Bundeswher A7 or French Army Lecrec upgrade will seems be last stretch on current generation MBT iteration. If those upgrade can work out for another two decades of operations, by 2040 new generation of MBT should be operational. Thus means design for new generation of MBT should be fix by end this decade, by all those who still want to operate MBT.
That's not the end.
Indeed, next generation tanks should be ready by the end of this decade or beginning of the next one, but not everyone plans the same. France, for example, plans to start procuring its own around 2040, not 2030, which is significant because it's one of the few industry leaders.
There is much juice left in current tanks.
The Merkava for example, has the Barak upgrade featuring a new APS and IronVision which the Challenger and Leopard can later leverage.

The Leopard will, at the very least, be renewed to an A8 version or similar. I believe that was confirmed several years ago but don't quote me on that.
If all goes well, the Abrams should be renewed in an M1A2D version.

Those are the current plans for the short term. But these tanks will also have to keep serving for 40 or so years. They will be upgraded further.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
France, for example, plans to start procuring its own around 2040, not 2030, which is significant because it's one of the few industry leaders.
There is much juice left in current tanks.
Well I put it as last stretch for current generation of MBT, and not the end. I agree there's still lot of juice left on current generation MBT. However most of the project from West big players are for upgrade existing frames. Not building new ones.

There's limit for you on upgrading existing frames, that's why I said this latest trend of upgrades seems will be the last ones. By 2040, most of the frames already 40-50 years old. If you still want to maintain MBT capabilities, then you have to prepare completely new generation.

I also put at 2040+ as where new generation MBT will come to operational stage. However means by end of this decade the design for new generation MBT (especially from Western players) has to be fix.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Wow, I do thought the Army also call Royal Army :eek:. If not mistaken British Armed Forces often call Royal Armed Forces ?

Yes, bit confusing when Air Force, Navy and Australia,NZ, and Canada using prefix 'Royal' while the British Army not Royal Army. Anyway thanks Ngati on that. Certainly for me help the missed up.
That's no problem. The Poms (English) have a long held habit of if there is a hard way of doing something they will find it and make it standard operating procedure. That's why I stopped buying Pommy cars 40 years ago. :D :D

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Wow, I do thought the Army also call Royal Army :eek:. If not mistaken British Armed Forces often call Royal Armed Forces ?

Yes, bit confusing when Air Force, Navy and Australia,NZ, and Canada using prefix 'Royal' while the British Army not Royal Army. Anyway thanks Ngati on that. Certainly for me help the missed up.
The prefix “Royal” is used for our navy and airforce but not for the army. However, some regiments within our army do use the prefix.

swerve

Super Moderator
The British army can't be called Royal because since Charles I lost the civil war it's been descended from the parliamentary army which defeated him, & whose leaders had his head cut off.

The modern British army was pretty much created by Parliament in the 1640s to fight the king.

Redlands18

The British army can't be called Royal because since Charles I lost the civil war it's been descended from the parliamentary army which defeated him, & whose leaders had his head cut off.

The modern British army was pretty much created by Parliament in the 1640s to fight the king.
Yes the British Royals have a tendency to hold onto grudges:p

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yes the British Royals have a tendency to hold onto grudges:p
Well the Army fought against their rightful King which resulted in him losing his head executed by a bunch of traitorous heathens. Same branch of these traitorous heathens immigrated to the American colonies and 100 years later rebelled against their rightful and lawful King. Look at the traitorous heathens today. Fighting amongst themselves. Can't even speak or spell the Queens English properly, and have inflicted upon the world maccas and Starbucks; plastic food and tepid coloured water. :) :) :p

Terran

The purpose of systems like IronVision is to allow all crewmen a wide field of view, the same as a mk1 eyeball, of the surroundings, with added info (AR). It is exactly to have all crewmen permanently buttoned up.
Whether a TC or driver will choose to do that, is up to them. But today it's still required of the TC to occasionally pop his head out of the tank, because the sights have a very narrow FoV, or the all around cameras are hard to navigate (all systems still require buttons and looking at a small screen).

Putting the crew (not only TC because they have to be together) in such an immense danger only for the comfort of looking outside when an existing system already permits doing that almost as intuitively, is absurd.
With current systems, that makes sense. But they won't use current ones.
I know couple weeks difference in posting but bare with me.
I dont’s agree with you for a number of reasons. First not every situation requires full button up in operation of the MBT which is the design aspect pushed for by Ironvision. It’s almost unheard of for a TC to be killed as he was operating in the open due to the design having a open protected position where in the TC’s hatch going back as far as WW2 designs. Vs artillery or other tanks. So what is the risk? Small drones and infantry seems like the most likely to try and take advantage of an open hatch. Small drones are susceptible to jamming or other means of countermeasures and infantry might get a lucky shot but trying to pick off the TC is likely to result in more destruction on the infantry side. Vs an ATGM Ironvision and the like don’t seem like they would make a difference. Unless the tank is using an APS Hardkill system that has no safety measures.

Next I don’t see it as an either or. A Situation where in you can only design an MBT with a crew in the hull capsule or a conventional MBT. A number of tank test beds like the HSTVL, Objekt 640, Falcon turret used a sort of hybrid concept where in the crew TC and or gunner depending on design were positioned in an armored capsule below the turret ring but in the turret ring. With access hatches to the top of the structure. This in my view is a more logical step particularly as it still offers the protection, makes use of emerging technology well allowing for the old standard. Well also considering issues like the effects of loss of orientation and vertigo that have been noted in remote weapons stations already.

Bonus point The US Optionally Manned Tank variant 2 configuration concept art posted here US Army News and updates general discussion
Seems to show exactly this. We have visible hatches and view ports located in the hull but if you look at the front of the turret you can see the same gold color blocks (Separate from the independent viewers on top of the turret ) inside the turret ring just below the turret on the left side, indicating a possible commander position. This possible layout is the same as was tested in the HSTV-L. Commander in a left side low profile Cupola sitting just below the gun. Gunner in a right front hull position. Driver in a left front gun position.

I believe retaining at least one crewman inside the turret ring yet under the turret would be logical as I highly doubt widespread adopting of the Carousel type automatic loader in western manned future tanks. This is due to the already long length of 120mm unitary shells being at the edge of practical storage in a low profile hull when stowed vertically (nose down primer up 90* vs the hull). Longer 130mm or even 140mm shells would demand a tank hull of significantly higher profile akin to the tallest IFV hulls.
Stowing 120mm unitary horizontally in a carousel would demand a diameter that already would Impinge into the track area as the width of western MBT are more or less fixed by rail transport requirements. Larger unitary would make this even worse. The Soviets got around this issue for T64 and it’s successors by using a binary ammunition type. IE the Cartridge and then the shell. But this limits length of the APFSDS rod reducing effectiveness.
This means that a bustle loader is IMO the best option. It allows the long rods is proven technical maturity for the US, Europe and more. If that’s the case then you are left with the open space inside the turret ring. If the turret is unmanned crew could still be placed under it and along side it like on HSTV-L or Falcon turret.
Risk to crew in those would be reduced from a cook off event as that would be at the rear of the turret and isolated. Risk from direct fire to the manned positions in such a low profile Cupola would probably be not much higher than that to the drivers hatch. Risk from top attack similarly. If the aim is to design a tank with the advantages of modern MBT design but taking advantage of emerging technology then a low profile form is a general must.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Yes, bit confusing when Air Force, Navy and Australia,NZ, and Canada using prefix 'Royal' while the British Army not Royal Army.
Just to clarify, exactly the same applies with Australia and NZ. Neither Army is Royal, both Navies and Airforces are.

oldsig

STURM

Yes, bit confusing when Air Force, Navy and Australia,NZ, and Canada using prefix 'Royal' while the British Army not Royal Army.
The Malaysian Armed Forces follows the same tradition, as inherited from the Brit's.

The Thais however have a "Royal Thai Army' but then the country was never a Brit colony.

Last edited:

Big_Zucchini

dont’s agree with you for a number of reasons. First not every situation requires full button up in operation of the MBT which is the design aspect pushed for by Ironvision. It’s almost unheard of for a TC to be killed as he was operating in the open due to the design having a open protected position where in the TC’s hatch going back as far as WW2 designs. Vs artillery or other tanks. So what is the risk? Small drones and infantry seems like the most likely to try and take advantage of an open hatch. Small drones are susceptible to jamming or other means of countermeasures and infantry might get a lucky shot but trying to pick off the TC is likely to result in more destruction on the infantry side.
Examples of said drone attacks are clearest in the recent Nagorno-Karabakh war. What defined them is that the Armenian troops were usually oblivious to an attack until the very last moments. Sometimes entirely oblivious. The quality of Armenian equipment was low, and it factors into the cost/benefit ratio of every action relating to them, but it would still be wrong for you to use a cost/benefit analysis on a tank who's going to serve for at least 40-50 years, which in the worst case might not even be meaningfully upgraded throughout its life. And during its life, the cost/benefit of any action will vary according to the changes made to the tank, and to every potential enemy.

The crew must be able to function - acting intuitively and quickly, when fully enclosed. The bottleneck was always situational awareness, and systems like IronVision and NGCV-S are here to solve this issue.
Lethality of our enemies and our own situational awareness are growing steadily, but our protection capabilities occassionally stagnate.

Vs an ATGM Ironvision and the like don’t seem like they would make a difference. Unless the tank is using an APS Hardkill system that has no safety measures.
I didn't quite understand this statement.

Next I don’t see it as an either or. A Situation where in you can only design an MBT with a crew in the hull capsule or a conventional MBT. A number of tank test beds like the HSTVL, Objekt 640, Falcon turret used a sort of hybrid concept where in the crew TC and or gunner depending on design were positioned in an armored capsule below the turret ring but in the turret ring. With access hatches to the top of the structure. This in my view is a more logical step particularly as it still offers the protection, makes use of emerging technology well allowing for the old standard. Well also considering issues like the effects of loss of orientation and vertigo that have been noted in remote weapons stations already.
This is the idea presented by France, so perhaps some experts agree with this idea. But the same applies to the idea I presented, for now in Israel. The US and Germany remain unknown in their position.

My reasoning is that by moving one crewmember away from the rest, you deny him the fluid and fast interactions and communications with the crew, increase the total protected area therefore reducing survivability and protection (i.e of the crew and vehicle itself), have him take a unique role in both concept and hardware (e.g optics now have to provide not only a digital channel but also an analog one, and duplicate most interfaces to a separate location), and all that for the improved situational awareness of only 1 crewman.
Is that really a good price to pay when the value of popping one's head out is diminishing due to technology?

It's also not like technology that exists today cannot fulfill this demand. You create a mast mounted sight (by the way, a concept that is now of growing interest in the non-specialized AFV market), and on it a vision block that enables using a system like the IronVision, gaining a solid view from above. Or just using the existing panoramic sights of the vehicle.

Bonus point The US Optionally Manned Tank variant 2 configuration concept art posted here US Army News and updates general discussion
Seems to show exactly this. We have visible hatches and view ports located in the hull but if you look at the front of the turret you can see the same gold color blocks (Separate from the independent viewers on top of the turret ) inside the turret ring just below the turret on the left side, indicating a possible commander position. This possible layout is the same as was tested in the HSTV-L. Commander in a left side low profile Cupola sitting just below the gun. Gunner in a right front hull position. Driver in a left front gun position.
It strengthens your position that this concept is being studied, but otherwise adds no value. To clarify, was this your intent? Or did you try to convey a point that I didn't understand?

I believe retaining at least one crewman inside the turret ring yet under the turret would be logical as I highly doubt widespread adopting of the Carousel type automatic loader in western manned future tanks. This is due to the already long length of 120mm unitary shells being at the edge of practical storage in a low profile hull when stowed vertically (nose down primer up 90* vs the hull). Longer 130mm or even 140mm shells would demand a tank hull of significantly higher profile akin to the tallest IFV hulls.
That is assuming unitary shells are the right way forward. But that is not necessarily what industry thinks.
This is a 140mm shell, separated into 2 pieces:

The competing 130mm gun uses, at the moment, unitary shells.
It's up to industry and users to decide whether they can fit and what types of ammo, inside the hull.
Both approaches are examined by the US.

One question though. If the problem for you is that the crewmen don't get enough view of their surroundings because they're in a hull, then how does moving someone to the turret ring level help anyone? It's on the same level as the hull top. You don't get a better view there. On the contrary, you're entirely blocked on one side by the turret.

Also one more thing that just came up, is how will the crew handle the fast turret traversal? Today it's entirely controlled by the crew and even intentionally limited to avoid sickness and disorientation.
Tomorrow's tanks will have to react to really fast events. Perhaps faster than human capacity to handle (APS already does that).
Turret traversal will soon become a function of the AI's algorithm, specifically its optimizations in reaction time and areal scans.
It's best not to couple that with human limitations, even if traverse rate will be limited in some way to better maintain the hardware.

Risk to crew in those would be reduced from a cook off event as that would be at the rear of the turret and isolated
Hard to go any lower from near zero. In designs like the T-14, the crew are still entirely isolated from the ammo. There are blowout panels on top of the turret, and the capsule is protected with a single armor bulkhead from the rear.
A turret ammo stowage would do 5 things:
1. Present a much larger target. Instead of the width of the gun plus extra modules, you now have the standard width of today's turrets.
2. Increase chances of mission kill - if the ammo is gone, the tank is ineffective. Even if it can fulfill other missions, it will be evacuated and not risked.
3. Massively increase turret weight because now armor is necessary for the ammo.
4. Increase signature - again, larger turret.
5. Create residual hazards - when ammo blows up, in, say, an Abrams, the energy release is not perfectly upward. If the turret is aligned with the hull, it will immobilize the tank. If it is reversed, it may either kill the driver or just make it really hard for him to escape unless he has other hatches.

Risk from direct fire to the manned positions in such a low profile Cupola would probably be not much higher than that to the drivers hatch
That is not true. The vulnerable area is now roughly 50% larger from a frontal view, and 100% larger from the side, disregarding overlaps.

Terran

Examples of said drone attacks are clearest in the recent Nagorno-Karabakh war. What defined them is that the Armenian troops were usually oblivious to an attack until the very last moments. Sometimes entirely oblivious. The quality of Armenian equipment was low, and it factors into the cost/benefit ratio of every action relating to them, but it would still be wrong for you to use a cost/benefit analysis on a tank who's going to serve for at least 40-50 years, which in the worst case might not even be meaningfully upgraded throughout its life. And during its life, the cost/benefit of any action will vary according to the changes made to the tank, and to every potential enemy.
A force with no real air defense or CUAS capabilities. I mean come on. If a sizable UAS came in and their is no air defense. If it nails a Tank even if buttoned up it’s a mission kill. If it’s a smaller type that that can survive in a air defense zone. Then any explosive payload it has is only going to be as effective as a small mortar or hand grenade which again is armored against.

Hard kill APS systems like Trophy use high explosive payloads to tip rods and blow apart shells… ecta. Trophy has an armored plate on one side to protect the stuff on the top of the tank from fragments splash back and the like that might fly back that way.

My point is to show that not every tank needs to conform to a set architecture well still being highly efficient and protective.
I don’t argue against Iron vision’s concept but it’s a tool. You need a tool box. My view is that even with ironvision or whatever you still need the basics. Direct view is still going to be a want even if it’s just for training.

length if the rod is a factor in APFDS. The binary loader is not going to get a very long rod in the fold unless you come up with some kind of overly complicated dual loader system. It’s my opinion that the Carousel loader is the compromised design. To fit the super long shells you have to go binary or increase the size of tank.
Basically if you are going to fit a long rod unitary round in a carousel loader you are limited to either existing 120mm or are going to have to find a way to expand the size of the magazine well keeping the tank narrow enough to transport.

My statement on safety is In regards to aforementioned configuration IE Bustle loader issue of potential penetration but crew in a low profile fighting compartment under the turret. The position is slightly raised for operations in lower risk conditions.
Again I am not arguing against augmented vision. I am arguing for retaining aspects of conventional tank design in terms of operating the tank as well as distribution of the crew.

Speed is limited by the human crew and will remain such even with an unmanned turret unless you intend to go full Terminator unmanned. Then fine man machine interface doesn’t matter carousel all you like.
1) Yes a bustle rack would be as wide as a current MBT turret which I don’t see as an issue. Heck the T14 Turret isn’t much narrower than the T90 turret. Mostly as they added additional protection modules.
2) No more so than any modern types. I would argue given the destruction of Russian tanks with a Carousel loader have suffered popped turrets the risk is over stated.
3) Not really. Even T14 has armored modules on the turret and ammo stowed in the bustle. Every modern Russian tank has extra ammo stowed in the bustle rack. When you factor in APS, Sensors and additional equipment. Will it weight more than a modern turret?
4) as opposed to increased signature, taller tank. I mentioned before T14’s turret isn’t really narrower than T90s. 8DBD9C1E-B180-4023-AD5B-5B198E23EAE5.jpeg
Image I pulled from Reddit.
It’s also taller. Despite being unmanned in terms of cubic space it’s bigger. Any production MBT manned or unmanned it probably going to end up the same way as it will still need side protection to prevent mission kills to the gun and system. Roof armor to protect magazine. Unless you strip the turret naked in which case yeah it will be smaller but a glass cannon.
5) Same would be true for Carousel loader tank. As despite it all we have seen them go pop.

I find the last one questionable. 50% larger than what? I mean going to a T14 configuration already doubles the number of hatches in the hull. Basically two drivers holes (return of the BOG) so that’s a 50% increase. A third only by 33% based off the curve. Because each hatch is roughly the same size. You have to have at least two hatches for a three man crew. And if you use the OMT v2 configuration then three hatches one for each member of the crew to allow rapid bail out.
Bonus. On Sep 22 this video hit YouTube. I am attaching as it shows the Abrams TTB. Of interest is it clearly had 3 hatches. Now the old girl has had better days. In rough shape.

Last edited:

Big_Zucchini

Rheinmetall will debut a new MBT named Panther in Eurosatory:

At 0:04-0:06 in the video we can see the front which resembles the Lynx family, but later we see a lower hull.
There is high certainty this is not a rebranding of a Lynx light tank variant, as the KF51 is very much new.
However the likelihood of a new type of hull is very low, as Germany's push for a new MBT type is aimed at the 2030's, right now is too early to showcase anything. The MGCS is at too early stages.
This leads me to believe it might be a higher end, lowered version of the KF51 MBT, much like how GD reduced the height of the ASCOD for the MPF program.

Last edited:

Terran

The Branding of Panther, I am not sure is a great idea. I mean Germany had a Panther tank before and well it didn’t exactly go down as the greatest thing. Besides you have the South Korean Black Panther tank which is also making its rounds now in Europe and has it seems picked up some interest if not buys. And if that’s not enough to confuse. Might I point out that Rheinmetall already has a vehicle branded as the Panther.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Branding of Panther, I am not sure is a great idea. I mean Germany had a Panther tank before and well it didn’t exactly go down as the greatest thing. Besides you have the South Korean Black Panther tank which is also making its rounds now in Europe and has it seems picked up some interest if not buys. And if that’s not enough to confuse. Might I point out that Rheinmetall already has a vehicle branded as the Panther.
The original PzKW V Panther was a good tank. It's problem was that it was like German tanks of the time over engineered and complicated. It wasn't as bad as the PzKW VI Tiger I though. It was over engineered, complicated, difficult to repair in the field, and very expensive to build.

STURM

The Tiger 1 was originally intended as a breakthrough tank but was employed quite successfully - despite inherent issues - for other roles.

Panther was supposed to be a medium tank to eventually replace the Mark 4s but this never happened. Sure it had teething issues; was harder and more expensive to construct compared to Allied/Soviet designs and was over engineered but all in all it was a pretty effective design. It gained a bad reputation because of Kursk but to be fair it was employed to soon [just like the Tigers in the Leningrad area] before various teething issues were rectified. Exiting a Panther in a rush was also an issue and it wasn't so ergonomically friendly.

Last edited:

STURM

The Branding of Panther, I am not sure is a great idea. I mean Germany had a Panther tank before and well it didn’t exactly go down as the greatest thing.
It was valued by the people who operated it; who knew it various limitations and issues. In the 1990's and early 2000's I corresponded with some German veterans who were ex Panzerwaffe. All of them had experiences on various German tanks and were quite acquainted with Allied/Soviet designs; none had anything bad to say about their Panthers and Tigers they operated. By late 1944 the Panther was quite a mature design and was highly valued; it was good at its job : killing other tanks.