New Turkish Tank's Design

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
From some of my sources from Pakistan Army,. they told me that Al-Khalid uses some Turkish systems + Chinese systems,. so I really don't see Turkey having any problems making their own tank, they could check up how their systems are on the AK and improve it for their own tanks, and possibly also offer upgrades to AK (note its from personal source from Pakistan who told me Turkish systems are used in AK, he didn't specify which ones).

But what I want to know, how is Turkish Armour industry cause from Videos I see of their little attack vehicles during tests, etc looks like their in pretty good shape to develop Armour.

* Also,. the AKII which will come out, this friend also said Turkish influence will be heavy on AKII (He said possibly Armour of Turkish origin might be used).

Note: I'm just sharing Info I get, so if you disagree plz don't flame, I know alot of things can happen before AKII comes out, I'm just sharing what I learned with you guyies.
Al-Khalid`s technology comes from China and Ukrainian with a little influence of French FCS, I do not know what Turkey has brought to the table as far as tank technology advancement.

Soner1980

Replying to the last couple messages after my message...

I don't know what type systems were used in the Al Khalid but it seems like the ballistic computer and some other electronics plus nicht vision. The FCS could be French because of the lock-on target function. Also the laser rangefinder could be Turkish but I'm not sure. Why I was writing about that Turkey would use the Al Khalid as the base is wrong. I tried to tell that it will be like the Al Khalid. A consortium with Turkish systems on it. The way how the Al Khalid is produced is likely the same way how Turkish company will produce it's own MBT. Not that the Turkish MBT will be a copy of the Al Khalid. There was also talks that the Al Khalid II would be a two country work (Turkey & Pakistan) but I doubt it.

Turkish AFV, like the AAPC or AIFV's used by our army, are well armored. Also applique armor can be fixed to protect them from 30mm AP rounds. But this does not mean that the producing company, FNSS, now has the technology of multi-layered know how. And for sure not the Chobham armor (Burlington) technology. Also, Turkish scientific research will start to develop a multi-layered or composite armor to produce a national tank. Possibly with foreign assistance, it should be the Al Khalid's armor type I think because I read an offer in the news section of the Turkish Defense secretariat's website. There are also talks that Turkey should do research by it's own.

DragonKing786 wrote that Turkish companies were good at producing nice vehicles. Yes, vehicles! But not MBT's. Producing a good MBT takes 3 months long and a AIFV 1 or 3 weeks. Also, the armor of the AIFV looks nice but it is very simple spaced armor. With hardened aluminium. It can sustain hits from the M2HB at point blanc range with it's front armor.
When FNSS and BMC produced it's prototype, the vehicle will be extensively tested. Also the armor. We have the facility to produce, the adoptation know-how and the weapons. Not to forget: the FCS and sensors, radio, laser range finder, thermal sights are all local production too.

Last edited:

Yasin20

one of you guys said looks like a merkeva and leopard and the chally i tell you what they had an orgy ok haha i hope they dont ban me for a while for this

Yasin20

yeah it really has a merkawa'iísh look.. Well since Turkey is a big country they need a faster Tank, than the merkawa, but it must still carry troops, and the armor must also be good.

Israel doesnt need a fast tank, but a tank wich is durable, and with heavy armor, speed is not the imortant factor here, because the tanks are mainly deployed in urban areas. Well my fav. tank is of course the Merkawa mk4, i love the design, it looks awsome.

i seen your pic it looks nothing like at all get the prototype pic of the turkish MBT then think if it looks like it or not

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
There was some rumors that Turkey may be evaluating the ROK XK1, does anybody know where they stand with this if it is true.

orko_8

I think you mean XK-2, the new MBT of S Korea. It is not decided which country will be the sub contractor and technical assistance provider of Otokar: It may be Germany or Korea. Undersecretariat for Defense Industry and Otokar will together negotiate and decide on the foreign partner. Korea is a (strong) candidate of course. But nothing is certain yet.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
One problem with all the countries with tank building experience out there is that they want to sell equipment or even whole tanks but are not very interested in technology transfers.

Yasin20

im always wondering if turkey did came close to finnishing the project i mean you reckon germany might try to sell the L2A6 technology to us just so that we can fail that tank project

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Why should the program fail when KMW and Rheinmetall sell their tech to Turkish companies?

It is more the other way around, it would make development more easy.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I think you mean XK-2, the new MBT of S Korea. It is not decided which country will be the sub contractor and technical assistance provider of Otokar: It may be Germany or Korea. Undersecretariat for Defense Industry and Otokar will together negotiate and decide on the foreign partner. Korea is a (strong) candidate of course. But nothing is certain yet.
WHOOPS! yes you are correct. Thanks for the information - so which LEO2 are they interested in.:)

beleg

Let me copy/paste a part of an interview with Undersecretary of Turkey’s Undersecretariat for Defence Industries (SSM). Murat Bayar;

This will be a wholly new MBT design to meet specific Turkish requirements, he said. The SSM, he said,has identified the initial requirement for the TAF as 250 platforms. However, Bayar noted:“In Turkey we have more than 3,000 tanks, the average age of which is fairly old. Over the next 20 years, you can easily assume that the entire fleet will be replaced with new tanks.”

Bayar adds that the current M60A3 upgrade programme with Israel Military Industries and Leopard 1A1s with Aselsan fire control systems have provided Turkey with the infrastructure for the new MBT programme.

“The Leopard upgrade is, however, not simply a fire control upgrade. The whole tank is being disassembled; everything is being replaced with new parts and reassembled. Therefore, I can now say I have a modern fire control system and a final assembly line [at Kayseri] with the tooling and expertise to manufacture new hulls. There are two areas in which we lack the expertise: one is the engine, which we will buy in; the second, which is more important, is the armor – this encompasses the whole spectrum of protection. We will therefore invest in the development of this armor capability and that will be locally designed and manufactured. We will set up that capability, maybe to provide whatever is required for the next 20 years.”
If i know correctly , the current project model is

Otokar will design a prototype with the current know-how and added R&D information. Meanwhile Otokar will receive technical assistance in some parts of this design process from one foreign company. If the outcome prototype satisfies the needs of TLF then mass production will begin.

So it will not be a K-2 or Leo2AX but a Turkish soup with some imported spices & salt :D This project is one of the most ambitious project Turkey has taken on with MiLGEM, the national corvette program. If both succeed Turkey will probably become more than a medium sized player in international weapons sales market.

One point though, i don't think its so easy to advance rapidly in armor tech.. I am really eager to see the outcome on this area..

Seni Seviyorum

my friends. The design on the first pages will not be realized. This was not a serious project design also.

I know the owner of this design and he designed it as hoby, though he is Indisturial design professor at the university, but his hoby is designing tanks.

Please don't take this project serious.

Yasin20

my friends. The design on the first pages will not be realized. This was not a serious project design also.

I know the owner of this design and he designed it as hoby, though he is Indisturial design professor at the university, but his hoby is designing tanks.

Please don't take this project serious.
but was this work ever been shown to otokar

Seni Seviyorum

but was this work ever been shown to otokar
according to the designer, Oğuz Bey, no. I saw this one and some other models personally and talked to him. He said, defence magazine showed his designs, that's all.

New Turkish Tank will be something different and we don't know how it will be. But Absolutely we will see , completely a new design.

Oğuz Bey also told me that his design was a mix of Lecrec and Leo. He said he is inspired by the both.

Yasin20

what the hell is he waiteing for give the designe to otokar and make some money out of it and it looks realy good to

Yasin20

i have seen other proto's but i recon out of the other 3 this one looks way more better i foung it in a turkish site

Soner1980

Damn what a talk! Turkey just need the know how to produce a tank. The 120mm sb tank-gun will be manufactured bu MKEK, possibly by tech transfer. This will be done by a sub-contractor and not a main contractor. So it is possibly a joint venture design, the barrel ofcourse.

The Hull is also something what is not done in 3 seconds. Also here is a sub contractor needed. Thats it. The rest of the systems are all manufactured 100% by Turkish firms.

There are 2 firms short listed: KMW and the K2 MBT producer.

End of this year, there is a chance to produce a prototype. Lets wait....:D