New Assault Rifle Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashkan

I am new to this forum. I have an Assault Rifle design that should have less recoil than other guns (It is not tested yet). I do not know where to start and sell the design.

It is not the AR. However,
it basically is the same as M16 and Ak-47 combined together.

Please let me know any further details.
Thank you

Attachments

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I would suggest that you go see a gunsmith to start with, or a firearms engineer. Remember that reason for the piston is too drive the action back ejecting the spent cartridge, loading a new round and recocking the weapon, for firing the new round.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am new to this forum. I have an Assault Rifle design that should have less recoil than other guns (It is not tested yet). I do not know where to start and sell the design.

It is not the AR. However,
it basically is the same as M16 and Ak-47 combined together.

Please let me know any further details.
Thank you

Well, not an expert but the AK is I believe, a long stroke gas piston system and of course the AR is a pseudo direct system using the bolt as a piston effectively. There are already a number of weapons on the market using the AR bolt with a short stroke gas piston (going wayyyy back to the AR-180 for instance)

I'm thinking it's a crowded market and the usual advice for anyone getting into the firearms design business is to take a lie down until the feeling passes. Do you have any practical experience in engineering, machining or gunsmithing ?

If you don't, it's possible your new idea may be something that's already been tried and either works fine and is covered by existing patents or has been discarded as either unreliable or expensive to manufacture.

In terms of recoil mitigation, there are other ways to reduce the impact of felt recoil- the constant recoil systems used in the Ultimax and Knight Arms weapons, where the bolt never hits the buffers at the back of the rifle in full auto for instance - they're described as being exceptionally controllable in automatic fire.

Generally with firearms design, the advice if you want to make a million, is to start with 2 and work your way down unfortunately.

I'd say, have a think about what your proposed design would do, take a look at the existing market and see if something similar has already been tried, then see if your idea can be reduced to terms that can be patented.

It's actually incredibly rare for anyone to come up with something new related to an AR platform for sure, but good luck.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thread locked. See Forum Rule #'s 3 & 19. The Mod Team is seeing what looks to be a pattern where someone mentions a concept they have and posts a line or two about it along with a picture that really doesn't provide any additional, useful information or even the ability to make a judgement on whether the concept is feasible or not. Also there has been no mention of who would adopt the concept, or when/where/how/why the concept would be adopted, or what service capabilities the concept provide. Of at least equal importance would be some sort of indication of how/why the concept is an improvement upon what is currently used.

Status
Not open for further replies.