SolarisKenzo

Failing to provide sources for images and link to KFOR Statement.
Major clashes between NATO KFOR troops and serbs nationalists in northern Kosovo yesterday, with dozens of soldiers injured.
Italian news reports that 3 italian soldiers are in serious conditions.
1685432702181.png
The clashes occurred after Serbian president Vucic spoke to the nation 2 days ago and put the Army on high alert yesterday.
Reports are that many of the serbian protesters came from mainland Serbia and were not serbian-kosovo citizens.
1685432832461.png
KFOR official statement and many images and videos shows serbs using molotovs and small handcrafted bombs, other than serbian police batons and equipment.

WARNING: strong images

@SolarisKenzo Awarded 6 demerit points for one year because you haven't provided sources for the images or link to KFOR Statement.

Ngatimozart

Last edited by a moderator:

swerve

Super Moderator
Unfortunate the Canadian government didn’t fund military applications based on the C-Series. Then again Bombardier seems to disappoint at every opportunity despite cash flow from taxpayers. The now rebranded A-220 could have been an enhanced Globaleye platform:
Still could. Only difference would be the name.

Mostly built in Canada, with a second assembly line in Alabama.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Still could. Only difference would be the name.

Mostly built in Canada, with a second assembly line in Alabama.
The federal government funding R&D for military applications on a A220 which is a 50/50 partnership between Airbus and the Quebec government…good luck selling that to the rest of Canada.;)

swerve

Super Moderator
I didn't say anything about the Canadian government funding it. Given that Canada doesn't operate AEW aircraft it'd be a bit odd. It could suggest it to Airbus & SAAB, though.

Terran

Airbus had/has been pushing to develop the A320NEO M3A as it’s military mission model for that class.
Video YouTube Airbus’s own channel point of interest is at 2:28 second when they show a prospective family of aircraft including VIP, Signt, AWACS and MPA.
The MPA version seems to be the hardest push as it’s concept that actually has a program slated for it. Of course AB does have competition in the form of the Dassault X10 Falcon buisness jet modified into an MPA

With the other AB configurations left more or less blank due to having no official plans for a project yet. I could easily imagine the SAAB radar mounted on the A320NEO M3A as AB’s pitch to replace the E3 perhaps adding an additional radar module to the tail in place of the MAD on the MPA and in the underside radar array under the belly of the MPA.

yet clearly that isn’t A220. It’s just hard to see the A220 at this point taking a true military mission outside of vip. Buisness jets like Bombardier Global Express have started absorbing missions that used to require full airliners (AEW, Sig/ELINT & MPA) and the few missions that absolutely require an airliner demand a large capacity for crew and equipment (strategic command and Tanker). The A220 counterparts of Airbus A320 and Boeing 737 700 have large widely available parts and support bases which leads many military customers to them first. Best I can give you is Canadian investment in Bombardier seems like it will pay off. Globaleye is likely to pick up buyers as NATO and allied states look at the aging E3 and the backlog of E7A pushing them to either Globaleye or IWI E37 CAEW. Poland in particular has been in the news for just that.
Though they bought send hand SAAB 340 AEWs it’s not impossible to imagine that as an interim due to the next open delivery date for Globaleye being about 2027.

Personally I think if you want to get something from concrete for the investment Quebec made in the A220. Then Canada should pick up an ACJ Two twenty or two set them up as VIP aircraft for the Government and not follow what the British and Australian government did in converting A330MRTT into VIP jet.
Flash back the British government’s converted Vespina was complained of by then Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson as being unavailable for use. Boris Johnson claims RAF Voyager transport aircraft often unavailable and that he “probably needs” own plane
This was likely as although the UK has 14 in its fleet it’s still a rather small fleet. And the duality of the mission of Vespina created a conflict of scheduling. The Ministers needed it but it was Refueling. Or another minister was using it.
Whitehall eventually leased an A321 to fill gaps.
Canadian official plans call for a smaller of (6) A330mrtt fleet than the RAF(14).
* correction made to reflect numbers in article 4 new 2 conversion. And to try and clarify comparison of RAF fleet to RCAF*

Last edited:

Sender

"Even" smaller? The RCAF currently has two A300 tankers. Four A330MRTT would be a big step up. Even two would be a very big increase in capacity.
Actually, that statement by @Terran is totally incorrect. The Chief of Air Staff LGen Kenny was quoted needing "somewhere around nine total aircraft", so a substantial increase in capability.

See pages 8 and 9 of the following: Skies Magazine

Terran

"Even" smaller? The RCAF currently has two A300 tankers. Four A330MRTT would be a big step up. Even two would be a very big increase in capacity.
I was comparing 14 British RAF Voyager to 4 programmed Canadian RCAF A330 MRTT that I was aware of for the RCAF. Hence why the number links to a source. Vs the existing RCAF yes it’s a step up. But again my comparison was based on a different metric.

Actually, that statement by @Terran is totally incorrect. The Chief of Air Staff LGen Kenny was quoted needing "somewhere around nine total aircraft", so a substantial increase in capability.

See pages 8 and 9 of the following: Skies Magazine
Thank you for the correction. I was based on the report I had read of 4. Gen Kenny’s numbers range from as low as 5-6 to as high as 9 it would still be a smaller fleet vs the RAF who operates the type. Farther his numbers don’t have as yet a solid programming. But a wide range. The interview and the report I linked to are more or less around the same date. Documentation wise I am wrong I should have said 6.

Generally though I feel my opinion still stands even if Canada was to buy 9 A330MRTT and convert 1 to a VIP configuration. That 1 would likely be forced into a position of playing both Superman and Clark Kent.
The dueling missions sapping availability. Having a second VIP type though not as large would allow foreign state visits without having to play both sides. Having 2 dedicated would free the whole of the transport tanker fleet to operate as it needs without the conflict.

Sender

Coincidentally, here's a picture of the first, in VIP livery. This is the first of two ex-Kuwait Airways A330 purchased last year. The remaining 7 (if 9 is the final count) are to be new build MRTTs, contracted directly with Airbus. Supposedly these first will undergo the MRTT transformation at some point as well.

Source:

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Coincidentally, here's a picture of the first, in VIP livery. This is the first of two ex-Kuwait Airways A330 purchased last year. The remaining 7 (if 9 is the final count) are to be new build MRTTs, contracted directly with Airbus. Supposedly these first will undergo the MRTT transformation at some point as well.

Source:
I thought the total was 6, the two used conversions and 4 new MRTTs, happy to see three more. :)

Musashi_kenshin

Amongst other things this new deal will (subject to congressional approval) designate the UK as a "domestic source" per Title III of the Defense Production Act. This will be very good for British companies, as they'll now be able to get US government contracts/investment.

Vivendi

In spite of changes to Swedish laws, and extradition of a PKK supporter, Erdogan is not yet willing to let Sweden join NATO. Erdogan is complaining about anti-Turkish demonstrations in Sweden recently, he demands Swedish police to "crack down" on such protests.

NATO secretary general Stoltenberg, have appealed publicly for Erdogan to "remember why these protests are taking place," suggesting that Turkey's own stance had contributed to them and that Erdogan was at risk of playing into the hands of people in Sweden either opposed to NATO accession or supporting the Kurdish independence movement, or both.
Erdogan says anti-Turkish protests hinder Swedish NATO bid – DW – 06/14/2023

Biden has for the first time officially linked a potential Turkish F-16 deal with Sweden's entry into NATO.

Erdogan "still wants to work on something on the F-16s. I told him we wanted a deal with Sweden, so let's get that done."
Erdogan Dampens Hopes of Sweden Joining NATO in July (voanews.com)

US senator is blocking weapons sales to Hungary until Hungary approves Swedish NATO membership:
US senator halts arms sales to Hungary for Sweden NATO bid stall (aa.com.tr)

Turkey and Hungary are actively in dialogue on blocking Swedish membership: Hungary, Türkiye will confer ‘reciprocally’ on Sweden’s NATO bid: Foreign Minister Szijjarto (aa.com.tr)

I hope the other NATO member countries now increase pressure on both Turkey and Hungary. They have made their points abundantly clear, and in particular Turkey has received a large number of concessions from Sweden.

SolarisKenzo

Hungarian defence minister announced, during the European Union defence ministers council, that Hungary will vote systematically against every proposal in favour of Ukraine.
They will also veto all the proposals that needs unanimity, Both in NATO and EU.
He says they will do that because recently a major hungarian bank was sanctioned by the EU for not stopping deals with Russia.
They also said they will take all the time they need to approve Sweden in NATO, if they will approve it.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
If we see how Orban and Sultan Erdo becomes buddies as years come by, should not be surprising. Orban clearly very happy when his buddy got reelected. His position clearly shown more and more similarities with Erdo antics.

Now Stockholm seems has to do more "diplomacy" not just with Ankara, but also Budapest.

SolarisKenzo

My sincere hope is that Hungary is trying to play the same game Turkey is playing with the US, but on EU level.
If we see that lifting sanctions on their Bank leads to Hungary complying with their role as a western country, then they are probably just bluffing.
But I am very concerned about Orban's country.
Hungary also hosts the NATO C-17 fleet in their Papa air base.
A good start would be to move the C-17 Command in Romania, Czech Republic or Slovakia.
To send a clear messagge...

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
My sincere hope is that Hungary is trying to play the same game Turkey is playing with the US, but on EU level.
If we see that lifting sanctions on their Bank leads to Hungary complying with their role as a western country, then they are probably just bluffing.
But I am very concerned about Orban's country.
Hungary also hosts the NATO C-17 fleet in their Papa air base.
A good start would be to move the C-17 Command in Romania, Czech Republic or Slovakia.
To send a clear messagge...
Absolutely move them and indicate that’s just the start unless they get on board with NATO and EU objectives. Sends a message to Erdo albeit Turkey is a more important player for NATO.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Base on this:
  1. Finland never really facing opposition from Turkey or Hungary. They face problem before because their insistance their membership must be together with Sweden. When they're decouple from Sweden application as package, they got approval for all existing members soon.
  2. Hungary opposition to Sweden more be seen as Orban solidarity with his buddy Sultan Erdo. Thus if Sweden can make deal with Turkiye, more likely Hungary will follow.
  3. Of all Turkish demand, the deal that stuck so far is how far Swedes need to open their legal "protection" toward Kurdish residents in Sweden. Erdo keep insisting that Kurdish communities in Sweden financing and become arranger on Kurdish resistance.
This is quite interesting to see how it is going to develop. Personally this raise question how immediate the strategic need for NATO on Sweden, now Finland already in NATO?

SolarisKenzo

Base on this:
  1. Finland never really facing opposition from Turkey or Hungary. They face problem before because their insistance their membership must be together with Sweden. When they're decouple from Sweden application as package, they got approval for all existing members soon.
  2. Hungary opposition to Sweden more be seen as Orban solidarity with his buddy Sultan Erdo. Thus if Sweden can make deal with Turkiye, more likely Hungary will follow.
  3. Of all Turkish demand, the deal that stuck so far is how far Swedes need to open their legal "protection" toward Kurdish residents in Sweden. Erdo keep insisting that Kurdish communities in Sweden financing and become arranger on Kurdish resistance.
This is quite interesting to see how it is going to develop. Personally this raise question how immediate the strategic need for NATO on Sweden, now Finland already in NATO?
I think that, while Finland was a strong message to Russia ( 1340 km border ), Sweden membership isnt really such an immediate problem.
They are already integrated into UE military committee and already hosts US troops for joint training ( for example https://shape.nato.int/partnerships...rces-and-partners-conclude-exercise-aurora-23 ).
Lets wait and see...