Nagorniy Karabakh

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Given Azerbaijan's recent success in Nagorno-Karabakh, are there chances that they will try to do more, perhaps to take over the landbridge to Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic?
There is certainly a chance. But it would be a problematic move. Pashinyan has been trying to move Armenia away from Russia for a while, but doing so was basically impossible while the NKR was a thing. Now that it's gone, he will try to make those moves. Of course this remains difficult considering the Turks are backing the Azeris. So it's a bit of a mess. There's Azeri interests, Armenian interests, US interests, Turkish interests, and Russian interests, all tied into this mess.

koxinga

Well, Armenia's Parliament ratified the Rome Statute recently, so that paves the way for Western realignment.

The Iranians is opposed to further Azeri moves. They share a border precisely on the land bridge between Armenia and NKR. But how far would go to prevent an Azeri attempt on it?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The President of Azerbaijan has withdrawn from talks in with the Armenian President being held Europe because Turkey was refused inclusion by both France and Germany.

T.C.P

The President of Azerbaijan has withdrawn from talks in with the Armenian President being held Europe because Turkey was refused inclusion by both France and Germany.

cant blame him, Armenia gets bring thier big brothers but Azerbeijan does not. What exactly does Azerbeijan get from attending this meeting, They already know they have Europe hooked thanks to their oil/gas.

Theircould not havebeen a better time for Aerbeijan to move then now. Russia all tied up, Iran weakened by internal strife, Europe covered by their fossil fuels, they will never be in a better position internationally then right now.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Russian peace keepers appear to be exiting Nagorniy Karabakh. The ultimate outcome here is clear, the history of Armenian presence there is coming to an end.

swerve

Super Moderator
Well, the Russian presence ceased to have any point. Russia stopped acting as Armenia's protector, abandoning Armenia to whatever Azerbaijan wanted to do. Complaining about Armenia desperately seeking other protectors is disingenuous at least, & hypocritical could be a better description. Russia's obviously written off Armenia.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, the Russian presence ceased to have any point.
This is accurate. Azerbaijan has won their territory back. Let's hope it ends here.

Russia stopped acting as Armenia's protector, abandoning Armenia to whatever Azerbaijan wanted to do. Complaining about Armenia desperately seeking other protectors is disingenuous at least, & hypocritical could be a better description. Russia's obviously written off Armenia.
I don't think this is correct. I think Pashinyan horribly mismanaged the situation on purpose. Remember, Armenia didn't exactly mobilize in response to the Azeri invasion. They fought but not very well. They also spent money in silly ways on things like ex-Jordanian OSA SAMs that were functionally useless against modern threats. Meanwhile they were badly short on UAVs, EW kit, and air defenses. They bought Russian Su-30SMs but effectively didn't use them. I suspect that this was intentional. I suspect Pashinyan and Co. wanted to move Armenia towards closer relations with the west, but couldn't do that as long as the NKR was there. So they talked the talk but meanwhile quietly sabotaged any real effort to put up a fight. And there were wakeup calls prior to the war, smaller skirmishes where the advantages of Azeri loitering munitions and UAVs were clear. I believe Pashinyan got what he was aiming for.

swerve

Super Moderator
So, you think he deliberately engineered a defeat in the hope of getting western backers to replace Russia? Was Russia such a bad protector? It seems like a huge gamble. There was no guarantee of effective western help, & no sign of it materialising so far, just words without substance.

Azerbaijan has won their territory back. Let's hope it ends here.
Completely agree. Let us hope.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, you think he deliberately engineered a defeat in the hope of getting western backers to replace Russia? Was Russia such a bad protector? It seems like a huge gamble. There was no guarantee of effective western help, & no sign of it materialising so far, just words without substance.
I suspect he had ties that predated his entrance into office. He came into office and promptly started bringing in western NGOs, and building ties with the EU and NATO. I don't think the issue is whether Russia was a good protector or a bad one. I think he is a figure comparable (though obviously not the same as) to Saakashvili. He's a populist with western backing.

To be honest, I don't even know that he had to engineer a defeat. He just had to not prepare for the war. Even with robust preparation, considerable expenditures, and a major mobilization, Armenia was still in a bad spot. Without those, it was hopeless. The demographic and economic dynamics have taken Armenia and Azerbaijan very far apart over the past 30 years. There are more people in Azerbaijan today then there are in Belarus. At independence, Azerbaijan had about twice the population. Today it has nearly 4 times, and this will continue. Armenia could hope to hang on to the NKR but it was going to be hard.