Military Aviation News and Discussion

STURM

In order to detect the launch of a radar, infra red or laser homing missile an aircraft has to be equipped with a MAWS as RWRs only work against radar homing missiles. Also, apart from a visual sighting the only way an aircraft would know which direction the missile is coming from would be if it was fitted with a MAWS. Does this sound correct?

Another question is if an aircraft was fitted with a RWR but not a MAWs [many aren't] how would it know it has been fired upon by an infra red or laser homing missile?

Sandhi Yudha

In November 2017, Lockheed Martin, the US Department of Defense (DoD) and the Kingdom of Bahrain signed a deal for the procurement of the F-16s. So the first of ordered F-16V Block 70 will be delivered 7 years after date of order.
Bahrain was the first country to order the new-build Block 70 fighters. So far the Republic of China (Taiwan), Jordan, Morocco, Bulgaria and Slovakia joined the Middle East country in procuring the newest Fighting Falcon version.
Bahrain also starts an upgrade programme to the Block 70 standard for their current twenty strong F-16C/D Block 40 fleet.

Musashi_kenshin

Japan, Britain and Italy are expected to reach a formal agreement in December to develop a next-generation fighter jet that will be used by the Air Self-Defense Force, Japanese government sources said.

Japan plans to deploy the new fighters by around 2035, when the ASDF’s current F-2s will start to retire.

The airframe of the new fighters will be mainly developed by Japan’s Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. (MHI) and BAE Systems Plc, a major British defense contractor. Italian aviation and defense company Leonardo SpA will join in this part of the project, the sources said. Japan’s IHI Corp., Britain’s Rolls-Royce Plc and Italy’s Avio SpA will develop the engine.

Given the amount of press and previous announcements, I assume it's something final and not another vague "cooperation agreement". With Japan fully on board I think the possibility of merging with FCAS, as speculated by Italy, will go. Japan won't want to share build work with France, Spain and Germany. If it's just the current Tempest members they'll be able to keep more production local.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

Given the amount of press and previous announcements, I assume it's something final and not another vague "cooperation agreement". With Japan fully on board I think the possibility of merging with FCAS, as speculated by Italy, will go. Japan won't want to share build work with France, Spain and Germany. If it's just the current Tempest members they'll be able to keep more production local.
Sweden seems to be missing from the news wrt to Tempest. Is Sweden still interested? Surely Saab would prefer the Tempest team, likely less hassle compared to France, Germany and Spain wrt fighting for workshare.

Musashi_kenshin

Sweden seems to be missing from the news wrt to Tempest. Is Sweden still interested? Surely Saab would prefer the Tempest team, likely less hassle compared to France, Germany and Spain wrt fighting for workshare.
Unknown. Previously they were hesitant about going all in, with the head of Saab saying they wanted to see how Tempest progressed. Maybe they'll want to become a more active partner again after a three-way agreement between the UK, Japan and Italy.

swerve

Super Moderator
I think so. Sweden & SAAB can't afford to develop their own equivalent of Tempest or FCAS, & they need a successor to Gripen E. It's either join someone else's project or buy off the shelf, & they'd much rather have some of the work & input into the design.

SAAB has worked with Leonardo (mostly the Edinburgh division, I think) on important parts of Gripen E, e.g. the radar & IRST.

Sandhi Yudha

Every year on 15 December, the Tatmadaw Lay (MAF, Myanmar Air Force) have their commemoration ceremony where new aircraft and helicopters are commissioned into service, and of course the two Sukhoi Su-30SME multirole jetfighters were the most eye-catching ones.
But the most surprising type of aircraft was the Kamov Ka-28 of which two were present, according to Scramble Magazine these helicopters are ex Indian Navy.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This article discusses the possible construction of the unfinished An-225. Apparently 30% of the components to complete the jet already exist. The estimated cost to finish the jet is €500 million. I think that kind of money is best spent elsewhere, at least until the war is over.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This article discusses the possible construction of the unfinished An-225. Apparently 30% of the components to complete the jet already exist. The estimated cost to finish the jet is €500 million. I think that kind of money is best spent elsewhere, at least until the war is over.

I would like them to have it in the air even if just the give the one fingered salute to the Russians. Six GE90s would look great on it and give it a tremendous amount of thrust. Western avionics and FBW would be great for it.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I would like them to have it in the air even if just the give the one fingered salute to the Russians. Six GE90s would look great on it and give it a tremendous amount of thrust. Western avionics and FBW would be great for it.
Yes, that would be a good up yours to the Russians. A Westernized An-124 would be as well but could also have a market albeit limited.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, that would be a good up yours to the Russians. A Westernized An-124 would be as well but could also have a market albeit limited.
A westernized AN-124 would look cool in RNZAF colours :cool: :p Gawd, I can just hear the whinging from the far left, greenies and Auckland peaceniks now. That's before Treasury get started. :p:D

Sandhi Yudha

A westernized AN-124 would look cool in RNZAF colours :cool: :p Gawd, I can just hear the whinging from the far left, greenies and Auckland peaceniks now. That's before Treasury get started. :p:D
It will be cooler if Pacific Aerospace Corporation starts to build the An-225 under licence, after years of construction of the CT/4 Airtrainer, it shouldn't be a problem. And to keep the Lefties, Greenies and PeaceHippies satisfied, it has to be semi-nuclear powered with an internal flowergarden.
Maybe in the future they can even develop a wind-powered version...

SolarisKenzo

European countries, via the EATC, are already operating several rented AN-124 to supply and move heavy equipment from western Europe to Eastern Flank.

1671448707924.png

Ananda

The Bunker Group
that would be a good up yours to the Russians. A Westernized An-124 would be as well but could also have a market albeit limited.
Your last point is what make unlikely any Western investors willing to bank roll Antonov in future. Antonov commercially already a failing company even before the war. Before 2014, it is Russian market that basically provide life line for Antonov.

Turkey wants to take over Antonov expertise, no doubt about that. However it will be make in Turkey with Turkey control. Perhaps their (Antonov) engineers can also hope to find projects in UAE. That's after all what many engineers from South African MIC done now. Only countries like Turkey or UAE that have big ambitions for their MIC development and willing to pour money as potential take over on salvaging Antonov projects.

The catch again, it will not be Ukranian projects anymore.

SolarisKenzo

Antonov is a bad deal.
Many western companies, even huge ones, put their eyes on the ukrainian manufacturer since the late 90s...
There must be a reason if no one bought it. I had the opportunity to discuss the matter with some NATO air force officials, in a " Strategic " view.
Antonov, with all its problems, is still a company that produced some of the most succesfull cargo planes in the last 50 years.
Apparently, tho, there is no need in western countries for a new " big" strategic airlifter.
The current fleet of c130s, c27js, a400m, and other smaller planes is more than enough.
If you can't move something by railway ( the partial integration of european railways made planes like the C5 or C17 almost without use in Europe ), you can always simply rent an Antonov an124 ( the fleet is currently based in Europe ) or ask the AMC to use one of theirs C17s.

The future is actually quite dark for Antonov, imho.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Turkey so far is seems the only potential that already shown interest to invest and work with Antonov. Remember before the war, they are the only one that shown interest to developed AN-188 (basically turbofan AN-70). This's after the fail turboprop project with Saudi (AN-26 derivative). So yes, not much any potential takers for Antonov partnetship now asside Turkey and potentially UAE.

That's scheme build on condition of Motorsich ability to supply turbofan and Antonov production line help support Turkey production line. Now both Antonov and Motorsich production line availabilities is basically in very big questions on their existance.

Don't think Turkey even if the war come to conclusions (either way results), want to invest to activate Antonov and Motorsich facilities. They will use their leverage to build it in Turkey. One way or another, Ukraine MIC future is practically working with and under other people names and supervisions.

Pusser01

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Turkey so far is seems the only potential that already shown interest to invest and work with Antonov. Remember before the war, they are the only one that shown interest to developed AN-188 (basically turbofan AN-70). This's after the fail turboprop project with Saudi (AN-26 derivative). So yes, not much any potential takers for Antonov partnetship now asside Turkey and potentially UAE.
Out of interest is there any news as to what has happened with the only An-70 during the war? I had read an article a couple of years ago that it was being used a charter airlift for covid supplies. Cheers.

At lakes

Out of interest is there any news as to what has happened with the only An-70 during the war? I had read an article a couple of years ago that it was being used a charter airlift for covid supplies. Cheers.
i read somewhere it collided with a an72 chase plane crashed killing seven on board

Pusser01

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
i read somewhere it collided with a an72 chase plane crashed killing seven on board
That was the first prototype in 1997. A static test airframe was then converted into the 2nd airworthy airframe to continue testing. This in turn also crashed in 2001 but was repaired to continue testing. It was then used by Antonov Airlines for charter work similar to their An-124's. There just hasn't been any news about it over the last few years. Cheers.