Middle East Defence & Security

STURM

You asked me that before [or something very similar]. It has no relevance to what we've been discussing [no doubt you feel it does] and is a generalised question.

At this point; after many debates/discussions; you have a pretty good idea as to the points I'm driving at; as such I have no.idea as to where the question is coming from or even the point of it.

Big_Zucchini

You asked me that before [or something very similar]. It has no relevance to what we've been discussing [no doubt you feel it does] and is a generalised question.

At this point; after many debates/discussions; you have a pretty good idea as to the points I'm driving at; as such I have no.idea as to where the question is coming from or even the point of it.
I'm driving at the fact that this region has very concrete problems, and to solve them the world needs to understand them, their root cause, and address them individually.

Instead, you are promoting the idea of abstract problems, such that cannot be solved because all political/military entities in the region are somehow equal in all aspects.

Certainly doesn't help your case when you use information from heavily biased sources, on the very topics on which they are known to be most biased.

Back on topic. Bennet seems to stay on the line of lobbying against IRGC delisting from the terror list, not much heard unfortunately on other issues yet despite being so close to signing a deal.

Perhaps now would be time to lobby against Iran's ICBM program and its various other ballistic and cruise missiles?

Bennet's tone has been measured, and the FM Yair Lapid has been barely heard. This is perhaps to mend relations with the Democrats, as Lapid has often talked about, but it seems more likely by the day that a more aggressive tone would have likely served Israel better, to deter the US from making too many concessions because it would complicate a military option, which by itself needs to be constantly brought up to remind the US it is still realistic.

My personal take on this:
We need a more aggressive tone next time if we see a relaxed approach doesn't serve us well in the timeframe of weeks, not months. That is, gradually become more aggressive.
And of course be more aggressive with our covert and overt actions. More strikes on Iranian territory, less focus on its proxies.

STURM

I'm driving at the fact that this region has very concrete problems, and to solve them the world needs to understand them, their root cause, and address them individually
I'm no regional expert but as long time intested observer; what you said is apparent to me and has been for a while but thank you anyway.

Certainly doesn't help your case when you use information from heavily biased sources, on the very topics on which they are known to be most biased.
If you insist. No.point debating certain issues with someone who.apparently has all the answers and naturally always knows better..

Thank you but I'll continue posting links which I feel are rrelevant and interesting.

Perhaps now would be time to lobby against Iran's ICBM program and its various other ballistic and cruise missiles?
Must as well wish for snow in Djibouti. The only way it would abandon or slow down on missile development is if it feels less threatened and insecure; the only way of achieving that is coming to some mutually beneficial.agreements which include certain issues which would address Iran's concerns. Remember, missiles are its main means of hitting certain countries. They don't have F-35,s, F-16s and F-15s and or a superpower ally.

The key to "neutralising" Iran is engagement and dialogue on matters of common interests. It's a power in its own right and can't be dismissed; decades of isolating weakening Iran have failed. The Gulf Arabs have come to this realisation; so have the Yanks I suspect.

Last edited:

Big_Zucchini

Must as well wish for snow in Djibouti. The only way it would abandon or slow down on missile development is if it feels less threatened and insecure
Iran has created enemies with these programs and its expansion. It was willing to let itself be more threatened and less secure to achieve greater military capability, by pitting itself against regional powers with whom it had no prior conflict.

the only way of achieving that is coming to some mutually beneficial.agreements which include certain issues which would address Iran's concerns
Iran was willing to "stop" its nuclear program for a said agreement which gave it a lot of money and resources. The result was actually a significantly accelerated program with a very short breakout time, fast growing proxies with new weapons and confidence to expand, and accelerated strategic weapons programs.
So this relief gave it every tool it needed to become more aggressive, and it used it as such.

It didn't even feel like this deal, i.e addressing its interests and needs, as that important, as Iran was caught blatantly violating the deal. How the US can drive to a new deal against a regime as trustworthy as Russia's, is beyond me.

There are very realistic ways to get Iran to divest from its missile programs, without bending over for them and going through a genocide (e.g Yemen) or military occupation (e.g Lebanon).

First, covert and overt activities against Iran's space program. For example Iranian satellite launchers have a notoriously high ground detonation rate.
Second, strikes and sabotage on Iranian missile production and development sites, and underground bases.
The covert actions are quite extensive. What is needed more is overt actions now. And we know they're not a taboo considering February's strike on a site allegedly destroying hundreds of drones.

If you insist. No.point debating certain issues with someone who.apparently has all the answers and naturally always knows better..
There are very simple tools like media bias check platforms, or even a simple look at their own sources of info and funding, to see what information is trustworthy.
Another very simple tool would be comparing the data with other publications, i.e doing a fact check on what you read.
If it really is hard to check a site's biases, then I guess I do know better in that regard.

The key to "neutralising" Iran is engagement and dialogue on matters of common interests.
Ahh yes, the Chamberlain doctrine. Engage with the enemy in dialogue on matters of common interests. If he wants your total annihilation, try going only half way. Once all seems sorted out, like the UAE or Saudi talks with Iran, or the JCPOA, declare you've solved the issue and then get invaded and bombed to oblivion.

Appeasement, bending over backwards, are not valid strategies versus a lying and aggressive regime.

decades of isolating weakening Iran have failed. The Gulf Arabs have come to this realisation; so have the Yanks I suspect.
It's not the isolation that failed. It's the Arab nations that failed. No isolation would mean a few more Arab countries would have been invaded by now. It aided in mitigating the Arab disaster of chronic military defeat.

Just because Iran is not on its knees, does not mean the sanctions and pressure have been a failure. But to be truly successful, they need to be consistent. Not backed by a leadership so weak, it could entirely reverse some policies through just elections. The US has shown Iran that Iran can weather most crises by just waiting for an election.

Taking one example is also a wrong approach. We've seen how countries hold up against invasions recently - Afghanistan fell to a much weaker foe.
Ukraine stood up to a much stronger one.

The region needs strong leadership against Iran. Because the Arabs are not willing to take that initiative, and Israel is quite far from Iran, none is a viable candidate. The US can be that leader but the only thing it has shown in the region in most demand of show of strength, is weakness.
Against Russia, for example, there is a solid front.
Troops fighting the actual war against Russia in its most recent battleground, and a mountain of sanctions meant to choke Russia's economy.
Against Iran there is no such united front. Instead, think of how it would look like if Germany, France, and UK would feel deterred against imposing sanctions on Russia, and others would constantly argue about imposing sanctions or not because their economies are held by Russia.
The situation would look very differently. Instead of a Russia in disarray, it would be an emboldened one. Not one that failed to reach any objective and facing massive defeat, but one that reached most of its objectives, and likely to score a military victory.

The policy vis a vis Iran is weak, wrong, and self defeating.

Bending over backwards is self defeating!

STURM

with these programs and its expansion
First of all those missiles were originally acquired to be used against Saadam but as time passed and as Iran got weaker those missiles assumed more importance because they compensated for Iran's weaknesses in various areas .​

Secondly what "expansion" are you on about? If you're referring to Iranian moves to safeguard and maintain ties with its Shia co religionists in various Arab countries [In which Iran has had ties and influence with for centuries]; propping up Assad against IS [Assad's fall would have strengthened and emboldened the Gulf Arabs and would have impacted Iraq which shares a border with Iran] and creating strategic depth in other places; that hardly qualifies for "expansion" per see. Has Iran actually physically occupied other countries or territories? Other players comes to mind.

by pitting itself against regional powers with whom it had no prior conflict.
That's the shortsighted and simplistic view of things. A lot of what Iran does now is driven by the centuries old Sunni/Shia divide; the current Cold War fought between Iran and the Gulf Arabs [which to Israel's dismay may ease] and the 8 year old war waged by Saddam which was supported by the West and the Gulf Arabs and which countries on the periphery - such as Israel - also benefited from in a number of ways.

As such the key to understanding [not condoning] what makes Iran tick and what drives its ambitions and insecurities has to also be viewed by the perspective of what its rivals/enemies do and have done. You will also be no doubt aware that Iran under the Shah [a dictator who was chums with Israel and the West but less so with the Gulf Arabs] had already been assertive in pursuing Iran's interests. Even if the Shah had fallen in 1979 there's nothing to say that Iran/Gulf Arab ties today would be all chummy. We also know, because the Shah said so openly, that Iran wanted a nuke weapons capability.

Contrary to.your narrative the Iranians didnt get off the wrong side of bed one morning and suddenly decide to pursue the policy it has adopted... Things don't happen in a vacuum; they are always in relation to other events.

If you're going to ask me [yet again] if America is "equal" to North Korea and Russia; I must as well ask something as silly and non connected as whether you think the Don Cossacks and the son of Dracula are "equal" to Moltke the Elder and Daniel Boone.

It didn't even feel like this deal, i.e addressing its interests and needs, as that important, as Iran was caught blatantly violating the deal
Is that a personal view or an actual verifiable one? Unless I'm mistaken the IAEA stated that despite some concerns Iran was largely keeping up to its end of the bargain. Or are you going to say the IAEA was/is mistaken, weak and flawed? Or perhaps even biased?

How the US can drive to a new deal against a regime as trustworthy as Russia's, is beyond me.
"Beyond" you is it? The U.S. and other countries have forged various deals with "untrustworthy" countries and if whether countries were "trustworthy" or otherwise were firm indicators as to whether deals can be forged and complied with; absolutely no deals would be made. Also all countries to an extent or another when their core interests are at stake can be less than "trustworthy" or change things previously agreed upon. I would also remind you that the U S. Has reached various agreements or a quiet understanding in the past with "untrustworthy" Iran; over Afghanistan and other issues. As for "untrustworthy" what about the U.S. which decided to abandon the JCOA which was agreed upon after extensive lengthy and tedious negotiations involving various parties. No doubt you'll see fit to provide an Israeli perspective as to why the JCOA was flawed to begin with and the U.S. was absolutely right to.abandon it.

IThere are very realistic ways to get Iran to divest from its missile programs, without bending over for them and going through a genocide (e.g Yemen) or military occupation
First, covert and overt activities against Iran's space program. For example Iranian satellite launchers have a notoriously high ground detonation rate.
Second, strikes and sabotage on Iranian missile production and development sites, and underground bases.
The covert actions are quite extensive. What is needed more is overt actions now
Right; so if countries adopt this policy [something Israel would like] and if after a number of years it delays and disrupts Iran's nuclear programme but nothing more; what next? "More" actions you say? How much "more" and for long? Indefinitely because those are the only options?

If it really is hard to check a site's biases, then I guess I do know better in that regard.
Of course you do. Like I said you know better...

Ahh yes, the Chamberlain doctrine. Engage with the enemy in dialogue on matters of common interests.
You know; there are such things called diplomacy and dialogue rather than merely relying on military options which are a short term but not a long term solution. If you've noticed many lasting peace arrangements are a result of war followed by diplomacy and dialogue. Many countries have learnt the hard way that military solutions don't always enable the desired results. Yet here you are suggesting that everyone's appeasing Iran; the Gulf Arabs and Americans are wrong, weak and shortsighted [Israel of course knows and understands better] and that ultimately the Iranians don't desire peacee or stability as they are intent on indefinite long term war/expansion/agression.

No isolation would mean a few more Arab countries would have been invaded by now
Is that a fact? Invaded,by whom?

The policy vis a vis Iran is weak, wrong, and self defeating.
To you no doubt. Naturally you would say that. To others it's a means of solving mutual issues with a view of easing tensions and moving things forward. It's certainly better than continuing a policy which has led to nowhere.

Bending over backwards is self defeating!
That may be so but in this case it's not a bending over backwards but trying to meet some common ground in which all sides [I'm referring to Iran, the U.S. and Gulf Arabs naturally] gaining long term lasting benefits. That's hardly "self defeating". What's "self defeating" is doing the same thing over and over again but going nowhere.

Because the Arabs are not willing to take that initiative, and Israel is quite far from Iran
Why would the Arabs do as you want - to.benefit Israel or because you feels it solves things? They have to live next to Iran, they have Shias amongst their populations and there is a,difference of opinion amongst themselves as to how to engage Iran. What is clear is that they have to make their own choices; rather than be dictated to by America or doing stuff which benefits others but has detrimental consequences for themselves. To.Also remind you, the Gulf Arabs are undertaking various initiatives and doing so.openly to ease tensions with Iran; irrespective of whether you agree or not. I don't have an oracle I can consul thus I'll hold off predicting that these attempts will fail. If they do suceed it will bring stability to a region which has long seen instability and widespread suffering; thanks to.decisions made by both regional and non regional players.

As for Israel: even if it shared a border with Khuzestan it would not be able to solve the issue to its liking; anymore that it has been able to solve other issues simply because it has won all the wars it fought [not necessarily the peace], has clear military superiority and regularly employs military action.

Last edited:

Big_Zucchini

First of all those missiles were originally acquired to be used against Saadam but as time passed and as Iran got weaker those missiles assumed more importance because they compensated for Iran's weaknesses in various areas .​
That's irrelevant. For all I care, they could have been made to make nice fireworks. But they are now used to reign terror from afar, threaten to hit Israeli and gulf cities, and as an engineering backbone for WMD delivery later on.

Secondly what "expansion" are you on about? If you're referring to Iranian moves to safeguard and maintain ties with its Shia co religionists in various Arab countries [In which Iran has had ties and influence with for centuries]; propping up Assad against IS [Assad's fall would have strengthened and emboldened the Gulf Arabs and would have impacted Iraq which shares a border with Iran] and creating strategic depth in other places; that hardly qualifies for "expansion" per see. Has Iran actually physically occupied other countries or territories? Other players comes to mind.
Expansion means Iran is expanding. There's not much more to it. Iran has forces in Yemen and controls most of the territory. That's expansion. Iran has a de facto occupation of Lebanon. That's expansion. Iran has the Iraqi PMU in its pocket. That's expansion. Iran has the PIJ and Hamas in Gaza and West Bank. That's expansion. It has militias all over Syria. That's expansion.

These are all areas where, through whatever means, it can conduct ground ops and assert high level decisions.

How it achieves that control is relevant to solving the issue. But it's irrelevant in the step before that - seeing the issue, and you're not seeing it.

That's the shortsighted and simplistic view of things. A lot of what Iran does now is driven by the centuries old Sunni/Shia divide; the current Cold War fought between Iran and the Gulf Arabs [which to Israel's dismay may ease] and the 8 year old war waged by Saddam which was supported by the West and the Gulf Arabs and which countries on the periphery - such as Israel - also benefited from in a number of ways.
That's its problem. If its religious views say it must attack its neighbors and occupy them all, then those whom it attacks are not obligated to just sit there and take it with understanding. They will fight back, and any backlash Iran faces is eventually its own doing.

Is that a personal view or an actual verifiable one? Unless I'm mistaken the IAEA stated that despite some concerns Iran was largely keeping up to its end of the bargain. Or are you going to say the IAEA was/is mistaken, weak and flawed? Or perhaps even biased?
The IAEA, I wouldn't say it's biased. But it does have its own investigative tools and channels to discuss matters with other entities, and it usually arrives at the same conclusions as western intelligence, just later because it has to verify claims on its own.
Hence why we heard the IAEA still claiming Iran was still in line with the deal when it was scrapped, and months later they confirmed Iran was violating it when the JCPOA was intact, and from day 1.

The US pulled out of the deal in response to intel about 2 undisclosed sites, in one of which Iran held both nuclear material and an archive detailing information Iran was obligated to present to the IAEA according to the JCPOA.

As for "untrustworthy" what about the U.S. which decided to abandon the JCOA which was agreed upon after extensive lengthy and tedious negotiations involving various parties. No doubt you'll see fit to provide an Israeli perspective as to why the JCOA was flawed to begin with and the U.S. was absolutely right to.abandon it.
As I said, the US never decided to withdraw from the deal independently. It was a bilateral decision - Iran violated the deal blatantly, and the US reinstated sanctions.
For the US and other parties to uphold the JCPOA, so must Iran. If Iran violates the deal, it nullifies it.

Right; so if countries adopt this policy [something Israel would like] and if after a number of years it delays and disrupts Iran's nuclear programme but nothing more; what next? "More" actions you say? How much "more" and for long? Indefinitely because those are the only options?
The idea is to keep the actions going until Iran exhausts itself in some way, and that's why the solution must be holistic.

If Iran invests 100X amount of money in building some infrastructure, and 100Y amount of time on it, but it takes 1X and 1Y to destroy it, and Iran's economical might does not offset that, then that's a net gain in military and economical balance.

If Iran is under sanctions, it will gradually have fewer and fewer resources to replenish and rebuild.
The Israeli campaign in Syria is estimated to cost Israel several billion dollars already, but tens of billions of dollars for Iran.

Do this correctly for enough time and eventually Iran is exhausted in at least some way and becomes more open to dialogue, or becomes unbalanced and the next government is a wildcard that could be much better, or at worst, a physically exhausted antagonist.

You know; there are such things called diplomacy and dialogue rather than merely relying on military options which are a short term but not a long term solution. If you've noticed many lasting peace arrangements are a result of war followed by diplomacy and dialogue. Many countries have learnt the hard way that military solutions don't always enable the desired results.
We'd love to have a pre-1979 Iran, i.e a Persian ally. But that's no longer the case. We don't have peace anymore, and it wasn't our doing.
Iran's leadership sees any lasting peace with Israel as the world's biggest taboo. Worse than any human rights.
So it's not like we can just talk to them like we did with all our neighbors.
I don't see how one can seriously accuse Israel of blindly choosing military options and neglecting diplomacy.
Perhaps if a sweeping strike on Iran's national assets including the nuclear facilities, followed by Russia-like crippling sanctions, were to occur, Iran could actually start negotiating. Otherwise, it's just scoring victories all across the region and so should not feel compelled to stand down and talk.

Yet here you are suggesting that everyone's appeasing Iran; the Gulf Arabs and Americans are wrong, weak and shortsighted [Israel of course knows and understands better] and that ultimately the Iranians don't desire peacee or stability as they are intent on indefinite long term war/expansion/agression.
I'd split the weak from shortsighted, and Gulf Arabs from the US, and put each in only one category, but yes. It's undeniable the US has only scored losses across the region over the past 2 decades. The only exception would be a somewhat west-aligned Iraq.
Is abandoning Israel and Arab allies shortsighted, or is it just carelessness as the US lost interest in the region? Could be either way.

And the gulf Arabs are just plain incompetent.

It is a fact that Iran seeks domination, not peace with its neighbors. I gave the Russia analogy because the Europeans awoke to the fact Russia cannot be relied in any way, and yeah there will be dealings with it, but that's how economy works - investors fear such high risk.
Iran is to the middle east since decades ago, what Russia is to the Europeans today.
It just gets much less ink outside the region.

Is that a fact? Invaded,by whom?
Yes, Iran.
Examples:
Syria, Iraq, Yemen, Palestinian territories, Lebanon.

To you no doubt. Naturally you would say that. To others it's a means of solving mutual issues with a view of easing tensions and moving things forward. It's certainly better than continuing a policy which has led to nowhere.
Then how do you explain that every time we hear of Iran-Arab talks, we hear of attacks on the respective Arab state's strategic assets shortly after?
That's not diplomacy. That's domination.

Why would the Arabs do as you want - to.benefit Israel or because you feels it solves things? They have to live next to Iran
Because of Iran's de facto occupation of Lebanon and parts of Syria, so does Israel.
They don't have to do what we want. But we are carrying the entire region's efforts against Iran, from afar, for the sake of the Arabs as well. If they start pulling their weight, it's first and foremost going to benefit them.

STURM

Expansion means Iran is expanding. There's not much more to it.
There's actually ''much more to it''. Iran like others is - whether you agree with its actions or not - is taking steps to safeguard and expand its influence in many areas which it has had long ties and influence. As I said Iran in it's own right is a regional power and continuing to isolate and weaken it leads to nowhere; precisely the situation we have now.

That's its problem. If its religious views say it must attack its neighbors and occupy them all
That is fundamentally incorrect... Iran may may the 'Islamic Republic of Iran' which has an Ayatollah who holds a considerable amount of influence in a country where religion plays a very important role but a lot of what it does in the geo political/strategic sphere is driven by national interests; realpolitik, insecurity, ambition, etc, not by religion per see...

The IAEA, I wouldn't say it's biased.
Gratified to hear that because it's on record as saying that there were some concerns but by and large Iran was holding up to the agreement,

That's irrelevant. For all I care, they could have been made to make nice fireworks.
Nonetheless I merely gave the context which led to Iran acquiring a IRBM capability.

We'd love to have a pre-1979 Iran, i.e a Persian ally.
Pre 1979 Iran was ruled by a leader who was out of touch with reality and had no idea as to what his ordinary citizens were going through or wanted. He has himself to thank for losing power and his return to power was only made possible because some countries - for their selfish
interests - removed in a coup an Iranian leader who was elected.

Yes, Iran.
Examples:
Syria, Iraq, Yemen, Palestinian territories, Lebanon.
Perhaps your definition of 'invasion' differs from mine somewhat. Nonetheless lets go through the list of countries you provided.

Syria - it was invited in by Syria [a close ally] and played a major role in stemming the tide of IS. Now IS is gone and Assad is firmly in power. Iran is still there engaged in various 'activities' but it's not an invasion per see.
Iraq - Iran has had ties there for centuries [many of Shia tombs and holy places are in Iraq]. Not to mention the fact that Iraq has a Shia majority. It's to be expected that Iraq would seek to have a strong level of influence n that country. BTW Iran also deployed troops and assets there which together with Iraqi Shia para military groups played a major role in stopping IS.
Palestinian territories - it has strong influence there [mainly in Gaza] but profoundly different from an ''invasion''.
Yemen - Iran exerts a lot of influence in the country and has a presence there along with the usual proxies but the ones who really 'invaded' by the very definition of the word was the Saudi lead coalition.

It was a bilateral decision - Iran violated the deal blatantly, and the US reinstated sanctions.
According to you and Trump; Iran ''violated the deal blatantly'' but the IAEA apparently disagreed and many European allies of the U.S. were alarmed that the U.S. withdrew from the deal. Note that the IAEA did say there were a number of alarming things the Iranians were doing but overall according to them Iran was holding up to the deal.

That's domination.
Actually it's part of an overall strategy to strengthened their hand and to send whatever message intended in line with whatever talks are ongoing or planned. You can call in ''threatening''; or acting ''aggressively'' but not ''domination'. We also don't know if the attacks were in response to certain actions taken by others in certain places whilst talks are ongoing.

If they start pulling their weight, it's first and foremost going to benefit them.
Well they are taking steps to improve relations with Iran and to defuse tensions which is hoped will in the long run lead to tangible results. Ths is a fact irrespective of whether you personally disagree with what they are doing or feel that they should be doing something else. The decision by the UAE to host Assad for a visit was seen as sending a message to the U.S. that the UAE has to take certain necessary steps and it can't have anyone dictating what it should do in line with its interests. Note that it's highly unlikely that the UAE would have embarked on such a course of action without Saudi agreement; well that's merely my personal opinion.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys, please do not force an adjudication, on which points are deemed false, because sanctions will follow. This guidance is intended to serve as a tool for self reflection — so play nice.

One, keep on discussions topic, in particular, the military tactics used or types of weapons systems supplied to proxy forces. Please focus on providing links, if appropriate.

Two, don’t let your own ego get in the way of learning from others; especially on their area of expertise.

Three, don’t argue in an unnecessary or rude manner — it detracts from content or point being made by the person posting. Substance in posts matters.

Last edited:

Big_Zucchini

Continuation:

As for Israel: even if it shared a border with Khuzestan it would not be able to solve the issue to its liking; anymore that it has been able to solve other issues simply because it has won all the wars it fought [not necessarily the peace], has clear military superiority and regularly employs military action
We had victories vs Egypt, Jordan, and the parties to the Abraham Accords. Whether military or diplomatic, and scored peace. We had losses vs Palestine, Lebanon, and Syria as we still cannot convince them to have peace with us.
But the success rate is still good, and part of why we're scoring victories is because of a policy of military strength coupled with diplomacy. If Iran shared a border with us, I'm confident our situation would be better with them. And if Iran had a more pragmatic, less expansionist government like in Egypt and Jordan in their early days of wars with us, we could even have peace.

Back on topic:

Saudi Arabia to continue trying re-assert control over Lebanon by convincing Hezbollah to join its side:

Saudis to return ambassador to Lebanon after Lebanese gov't announcement they will try and mend ties with Saudis:

Not sure how the Saudis are planning to achieve that, considering just how strong the Hezbollah-Iran ties are, to the point of Hezbollah essentially being a remote army for Iran, and the fact that Hezbollah and Iran are religiously connected, which is no longer necessary, but is a solid factor in Hezbollah's legitimacy (vis a vis its supporters base) of being Iran's lap dog.

Big_Zucchini

Gratified to hear that because it's on record as saying that there were some concerns but by and large Iran was holding up to the agreement,
Timing and substance matter. If it was prior to mid 2019, then that's irrelevant.
IAEA had not yet thoroughly investigated the intelligence provided to it by Mossad and CIA, and was up to that point commenting on what it was monitoring, which is production and purification.

By the end of 2019 IAEA confirmed it had identified 2 sites with unauthorized activity, and within them materials that were supposed to be handed over to the IAEA when inspections began years before.

I provided the information. Can you prove the IAEA deemed Iran compliant with the JCPOA?

STURM

Always happy to oblige. I hope you won't say this is disinformation or from a biased source? Or is it actually irrelevant because it happens to be before mid 2019 and the statements refer to "production and purification? You asked for "prove the IAEA deemed Iran compliant with the JCPOA. You were provided with it. Note that in a previous post all I said was that the IAEA announced that Iran was largely compliant.

"The head of the international organization charged with monitoring Iran’s compliance with the 2015 nuclear deal said Iran is meeting its obligations under the accord and warned against states trying to influence verification activities. Less than three weeks later, the United States imposed sanctions against Iranian officials and institutions that Washington alleges are working to retain nuclear weapons-related expertise in Iran"

“Iran is implementing its nuclear commitments,” said Yukiya Amano, director-general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), in March 4 remarks to the agency’s Board of Governors. Amano urged Tehran to continue adhering to the deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA)"

"Timely and proactive cooperation by Iran in providing such access facilitates implementation of the Additional Protocol and enhances confidence," said the report, which was distributed to IAEA member states.

"The production rate (of enriched uranium) is constant. There is no change whatsoever," a senior diplomat added

He urged his fellow ministers, who met in Vienna on Thursday to discuss EU policy on Iran, to do more to protect Tehran from U.S. sanctions, calling for "permanent financial mechanisms that allow Iran to continue to trade"

However, Trump’s own intelligence chiefs have contradicted him over the question of Iran’s adherence to the deal.

Last month, CIA director Gina Haspel told a US Senate hearing that Iran was “technically” in compliance with the JCPOA

Last edited:

Big_Zucchini

Always happy to oblige. This was released in 2019. I hope you won't say this is disinformation or from a biased source. Or is it irrelevent because it was before 2019?
It's not biased or disinformation. But yes, it is irrelevant because it was released before the IAEA was given access to those sites, and certainly before it was able to investigate and determine these sites were indeed used for nuclear activity banned under the JCPOA, and that Iran withheld information on a weapons program which it was required to disclose.

It's like presenting me with an article from 2017 claiming the US never withdrew from the JCPOA, or from 2014 claiming the JCPOA was never signed.

As I said, time and substance.
On my part, I messed up the dates. It was in 2021 that they released a report on the subject, detailing Iran's violations that occurred from day 1.

Big_Zucchini

Cold feet in the US regarding IRGC terror delisting.

Reports of potential delisting of IRGC from terror blacklist are causing internal backlash, and Biden may face the same kind of pushback on the JCPOA 2 at home as Obama felt, which ultimately led Obama to use his administrative powers to sign the deal, which in turn made it vulnerable to cancellation by a future president.

I am not a fan of symbolism. IRGC definitely belongs on the terror list and deserves the sanctions that accompany it. But if delisting it can bring a return that would equal IRGC not acting on their terror campaign, then that's an okay return (they'll stop, but make enough money to come back strong in a short time span, so it's not a great return, just okay).
But the wording "de-escalate activities in the region" is weak wording that Iran may exploit.

The whole topic is very difficult to resolve because Iran uses proxies and allies to act on its policies, rather than its own assets and armed forces.
This gives Iran plausible deniability and opportunity to humiliate the US, in the way that is known to hurt politicians.
It leaves little doubt that Iran will still use its proxies extensively, just far more covertly, in response. This will be a temporary slow-down and not a halt, let alone a withdrawal.

The US cannot, for example, convince Hezbollah to cut ties with Iran. It's the only ally it trusts.
It does interestingly coincide with reports of the Saudis trying to woo Hezbollah, but there's more than just that. There's the presence in Yemen, Iraq, and Syria.

For this clause to really be effective, Iran's proxies need to be eliminated hastily, and this means a Saudi-aligned Hezbollah, a defeated and routed Houthis, and dispersed and routed Iranian militias in Syria and Iraq.
Arab incompetence is surely to botch this effort.

The Arab countries are allies to the US, and the US will be well served if it pressures them to make the institutional changes needed to raise competence and thus capability. These matters are now taking a significant toll on the Arabs and Israel, and American interests.

STURM

Arab incompetence is surely to botch this effort.
No.doubt you would think so.

I see the Gulf Arabs [in this case the UAE and Saudi] as having their own way of dealing with Iran in line with what they feel would work [irrespective of whether outsiders would disagree]. Note that none of them are exactly strangers to dealing with Iran. Naturally their interests will be the same as with other countries but not always necessarily so and it's natural they would place their interests first before that of the U.S 's.

As to whether efforts will bear fruit, it really remains to be seen. I'll not make any predictions.

Last edited:

Big_Zucchini

No.doubt you would think so.

I see the Gulf Arabs [in this case the UAE and Saudi] as having their own way of dealing with Iran in line with what they feel would work [irrespective of whether outsiders would disagree]. Note that none of them are exactly strangers to dealing with Iran. Naturally their interests will be the same as with other countries but not always necessarily so and it's natural they would place their interests first before that of the U.S 's.

As to whether efforts will bear fruit, it really remains to be seen. I'll not make any predictions.
You are reading the political situation but ignoring the military sphere.
Political balance is deeply affected by military balance, set by military capabilities.
The Arab states, particularly Saudi Arabia in this context, have shown deep rooted and overwhelming military incompetence. If it takes examples, ask.

It is only natural for the perceived military balance, which favors Iran over any gulf state, to affect diplomacy.

There's also the fact I was talking about the military, not diplomatic, potential for Arab states to deal end irreconcilable conflicts with military might, e.g Houthis in Yemen. In Hezbollah's context, it would have to be diplomacy. But for diplomacy to work, Hezbollah has to know it can rely on Saudi Arabia to provide it with everything it needs, that Saudi Arabia will last as a sponsor, AND that Saudi Arabia can help Hezbollah protect itself from Iranian vengeance which could come in many forms, including a Hezbollah offspring growing from the same supporters' base it currently holds.

Big_Zucchini

Russia condemns Israeli strikes in Syria (for context, the last reported strike was in the 7th of March), claiming it's provoking Russia to react, and that they are intended to escalate tensions and allow the west to carry out operations in Syria.

The timing is interesting. Israel's last reported strike was more than 2 weeks ago.
As Russia's losses are mounting and prospects of Russian victory are basically non-existent, and talks of negotiations in Jerusalem are ramping up, this could be a diplomatic strategy to remind Israel of Russia's leverage in Syria (and Iran) and pressure it to take a more balanced approach as a mediator.

Blinken is set to visit Israel soon, part broader regional tour.

Blinken to visit next week, with Russia, Iran, Abraham Accords on the agenda

In his visit, Blinken and Israeli officials will discuss Iran, Russia-Ukraine, Abraham Accords, and improving Israeli-Palestinian ties.
The article has some speculations but nothing juicy. This will be interesting to follow.

A personal opinion on Israel's stance on Russia-Ukraine:
The logic for staying neutral is very clear. However, we're beginning to see backlash for Israel's neutrality, in part due to its strong geopolitical position even in Europe and Russia and thus its perceived ability to aid and influence the war. It came mostly from misinformed politicians, including those who parroted the No Fly Zone over Ukraine idea. But it could echo and become a wider government policy. It's not unprecedented and is certainly a real risk. Real political damage is done by fringe politicians even.

By aiding Ukraine with weapons now, Israel will lose more than an emboldened Europe will be able to offer in return. Which, even it gets double the compensation, it's still 2 times zero.
But Israel can be a guarantor of Ukraine's security under any future deal, and offer Ukraine discounted weaponry to replenish its fighting capability, and increase its military posture vs Russia whilst still rebuilding itself and its economy. Israel should strive to take a leading role in arms sales to Ukraine post-war, otherwise Israel is set to lose substantial market share due to its policy on weapon re-sales, and similarly take a political hit in Israel-Europe relations. If Europeans were ready to even condemn Israel for defending itself against Hamas, Hezbollah etc, then relations will become even colder if the whole Russia-Ukraine situation is resolved and dies down without Israel taking a clear side and compensating somehow for the lost time.

Russia will definitely have the legitimacy to retaliate and provide Iran and Syria with the latest Russian equipment - Short to long range air defenses, ballistic and cruise missiles, EW equipment, AFVs etc.
But we need to prepare for this contingency anyway. And the price we pay for not supporting potential European allies, will only grow until it will overshadow the gain from Russia appeasement, and that damage will be very hard to reverse.

STURM

It's like presenting me with an article from 2017 claiming the US never withdrew from the JCPOA, or from 2014 claiming the JCPOA was never
You asked for evidence that the IAEA said Iran was in compliance and were presented it. The thing is you added the caveat that anything prior to mid 2019 was irrelevant [to you] because the IAEA didn't yet have access to intel by the CIA and Mossad [assuming they were accurate to begin with] that Iran has violated the agreement. Based on this you claim the U.S. was fully justified in withdrawing based on the premise that Iran was in violation of the JCOA. Note that Trump's own intel people said otherwise [in a link previously posted] - "However, Trump’s own intelligence chiefs have contradicted him over the question of Iran’s adherence to the deal. Last month, CIA director Gina Haspel told a US Senate hearing that Iran was “technically” in compliance with the JCPOA". By withdrawing the U.S. placed itself in a position where it had less influence to pressure Iran to comply with the JCOA. It also strengthened the hand of hardliner in Tehran who said the U.S. could never be trusted; had ulterior motives and that that the Iranian government made a mistake in signing the JCOA.

One can also question Trump's real motives behind the withdrawal. Instead of withdrawing [assuming the real reason for doing so was the one declared] the U.S. could have issued firm warnings that it had obtained certain info and would withdraw if after a short period Iran was not compliant; it didn't do this. What it did was to unilaterally withdraw to the huge dismay of the IAEA and the U.S's European allies which had expended a lot of time and effort into the JCOA. Both also rightly believed that it was a step backwards. The cancellation of the JCOA also was a disappointment to many ordinary Iranians.

You are reading the political situation but ignoring the military sphere
Depends on the context. In this case the discussion evolved around politics because it was in reply to your comments which were largely political.

If it takes examples, ask.
No doubt you'll be more than happy to give examples but they are not needed as I'm somewhat aware of the military limitations faced by the Arabs or "incompetence" as you would say.

potential for Arab states to deal end irreconcilable conflicts with military might, e.g Houthis in Yemen.
At this stage the potential for an actual deal over Yemen looks likely. Both are looking for a face saving way out and are also aware that a settlement over Yemen could pave the way for similar agreements or at least some accommodation in other areas of dispute. The quotation is whether any side will insist on tying in or linking an agreement over Yemen with other things. Another key problem is both sides have proxies and I have no idea if their respective proxies will readily agree to a deal.

But for diplomacy to work, Hezbollah has to know it can rely on Saudi Arabia to provide it with everything it needs, that Saudi Arabia will last as a sponsor, AND that
The first thing is whether Saudi Arabia actually desires that or see a need for it. The second is that pulling away Hezbollah away from Iran, even assuming the leadership approves, might be a hard sell to Hezbollah's support base for whom Iran is seen as far more than just a sponsor or benefactor. There is also the question of Amal which was the dominant Shia organisation before Hezbollah was created. It's still around, has a support base, has loosely cooperated with Hezbollah and might also need to engaged as part of any moves to reach an accommodation with Hezbollah.

On the Iran/UAE talks for me the question is whether the Emiratis see talks with Syria as part of a wider similar effort with Iran or do they view it as separate? There is also the question of Saudi Arabia. Unlikely the Emiratis would embark on such a course of action without Saudi agreement. As the cliche goes about there being no permanent enemies; especially in the Middle East I will add.

"The UAE, which reopened its embassy in Syria in December 2018, and sent its foreign ministerto Damascus in November last year, is the main Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) actor working to accelerate the Syrian regime’s reintegration into the Arab world’s diplomatic fold, following years of relative isolation in the region."

“Assad, as a strongman opposed to the Muslim Brotherhood, looks in this context very much like Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, whom the UAE also supports … Al-Assad’s Baath Party has taken the neoliberal road and does not pose an ideologi
cal threat to the Gulf any longer,” added Cole."

Last edited:

Big_Zucchini

Israel to host historic summit of 4 Arab nations + USA for first time, said to be more "informative" rather than symbolic, and to tackle, among other issues, Iran.

UAE, Bahrain, Morocco, and Egypt to participate.
There is a sense of urgency in this meeting, as it comes very shortly after an Israel-Egypt-UAE meeting in Egypt.

Saudi Arabia has not joined, but is assumed to be attentive, with some of its interests on the agenda.

This sense of urgency is reinforced with a visit of IDF brass to Morocco.

STURM

Houthi attack on Jeddah.

We know obviously that the Houthis are sending a message and we can only speculate at to the type of message. They had previously used Quds-2 cruise missiles in a January attack. Whether these talks will have immediate impact on talks between Iran and the Gulf Arabs is unclear but I personally doubt it. What is telling is that there have been no public statements by Saudi Arabia blaming Iran or stating that it's indirectly behind the attack [something to which to me is questionable]. We can be sure that there's a lot of back channels messages and talks occurring following this latest attack.

''Nabeel Khoury, a former US diplomat, said the timing of the attacks is significant. To some extent whenever they [Houthis] hit the targets either in Saudi Arabia or the UAE it’s a hit against tourism in these countries – that you can organise car races and international games as if nothing is happening while we are under siege and being struck on a daily basis from there,” Khoury told Al Jazeera.''