Malaysian army replaces Steyr AUG with M4

Cpt.Price

nope u're wrong

Why is this a stupid question? The Steyr Aug as an assualt rifle is more accurate than the M4. The M4 is a shorter version of the M-16. It is more suited to Special forces. Unless every soldier in Maylasia is going into special ops I think its dumb. Groupings with the M4 are more dispersed than the Steyr Aug, especially on full auto.
m4 is better thn aug in many places,eg m4 can attach SOPMOD but aug cant,m4 is litter n accurate thn aug if attach holography scope,m4 is Us's made n is comon seen in US military.

Cpt.Price

Guess what, the Malaysian Armed Force, Reserved, PGA and some regiment still using the old M16 and the Bren :lol3 , some using the styer AUG, few AK-74 and now M4 colt. I've ssen them and they look more like a mercernaries with rag-tag equipment to me. Bellieve it or not it is more to political scandal. They will start change everything when there is new Prime Minister in office. Bellieve you me thats nothing but the truth. :D

malaysia boleh
malaysian didn't use god damn ak-47,but use aug n m-16.because malaysia isn't a part of soviet

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The thing many seem to forget is while many Special Forces use M-4 (or these days more likely to be HK416), they also issue significant numbers of 7.62x51mm weapons as well. In fact while the US Army is / has replaced the M-16 with the M-4 in the majority of their infantry units they have also increased the number of Designated Marksman Rifles to two per squad from the previous one or in some cases zero.

I imagine with the success of the XM-25 grenade launcher trials and its progression towards production, combined with the increased issue of DMRs and the development of improved SAW / LMG options (i.e. cased telescoped ammunition etc. or more conventionally, lightweight 7.62x51mm options) 5.56x45mm will progressively be relegated to use in carbines carried only by vehicle and support weapon crews, scouts, squad leaders, officers etc, i.e. in the roles previously filled by SMGs. It is probably only a mater of time before militaries begin to discard there remaining 5.56 carbines in favour of PDWs that have been designed specifically to cover these roles and are even lighter, shorter, easier to use and manoeuvre and ballistically more effective out to 300 meters than the M-4 etc.

SASWanabe

m4 is better thn aug in many places,eg m4 can attach SOPMOD but aug cant,m4 is litter n accurate thn aug if attach holography scope,m4 is Us's made n is comon seen in US military.
*This is one of those times i wish there was a "Slap" button*

The current model of the F88 Austeyr the F88S-A2 can recieve any attachment of the SOPMOD package, seeing the F88 and M4 both use 1913 rails.

The M4 is lighter than an AUG but thats not including a sight or a foregrip, which come as standard on an AUG.

The M4 is not more accurate than an AUG i.e the AUG has a 20 inch barrel over the M4s 14.5 inch barrel. AUGs in Australian service also use an Australian cartridge with a modified propellant rather than the M4s standard 5.56x45 NATO making it even more accurate.

and i dont see how where a weapon is made of who it is seen with has any bearing on it being "better"

T.C.P

malaysian didn't use god damn ak-47,but use aug n m-16.because malaysia isn't a part of soviet
So are you trying to say that a country had to be a part of the Soviet block to use Ak-47s for its military? Because the last time I checked more than half of the world's military's use Kalashnikov s and most of them were never even part of the Soviets.

SASWanabe

So are you trying to say that a country had to be a part of the Soviet block to use Ak-47s for its military? Because the last time I checked more than half of the world's military's use Kalashnikov s and most of them were never even part of the Soviets.
think its also worth noting that the post he quoted is reffering to the AK-74 not the 47.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
think its also worth noting that the post he quoted is reffering to the AK-74 not the 47.
Will you please stop posting one-liners? You've been around long enough to know better and yet you still make many such posts. Please stop. Thanks mate.

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Guys there's no need to spawn off a new discussion started by someone who dug up a 3-year old thread with the obvious intention to rant around in a few biased and uninformed statements, who was confused as to see when Austria was meant and when Australia was meant and repeatedly showed the incapacity to write the word "and".

The Malaysian decision to replace their AUG with the M4 has nothing to do with the respective weapons' ability to be "pimped" with SF-addon toys, as the vast majority of these toys will never be available to the regular Malaysian trooper. And the Malaysian SF are not bound by the choice of the standard groundpounder rifle, they can buy what they need.

STURM

I think that anyone who has anything to discuss on the Malaysian army should just do it in the Malaysian Army thread and as DavidDCM said, it's pointless reponding to a post made years ago!!

To date, only a single batch of M-4's have been bought and these have been issued to certain units - the 10th Para Brigade, Gerak Khas, etc. The intention was to produce the M-4 under license locally for which U.S. congress approval has been granted.The bulk of infantry units still use the Steyr AUG and the M16A1 with the M20A3 launcher [the M20A3 launcher was never fitted to the AUG]. Though trials were conducted only a small batch of Trijicon sights have been bought.

http://www.mmail.com.my/content/22194-m4-carbine-good-enough-us-army

P.S. Just to add, around 2003 SME [the company that licensed produced the AUG A1] displayed the Steyr AUG A3, which was fitted with a Picatenny rail and an underslung M20A3. It was taken for granted that this would be offered to the Malaysian army and ordered. But then came the M-4 deal several years later. Suggest we continue any further Malaysian army related topics on the M-4 or otherwise on the Malaysian army thread here at DT.

Last edited:

GryphonZA

I can understand

I can understand why they did it..

Check this out :

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/mfingar/M4_Poster_Samplesm.jpg