Malaysian army replaces Steyr AUG with M4

Big-E

Banned Member
Brutus Caesar said:
No doubt this is a stupid question but does this mean the Steyr is close to replacement in Australia also?
Why is this a stupid question? The Steyr Aug as an assualt rifle is more accurate than the M4. The M4 is a shorter version of the M-16. It is more suited to Special forces. Unless every soldier in Maylasia is going into special ops I think its dumb. Groupings with the M4 are more dispersed than the Steyr Aug, especially on full auto.

Paxter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
maybe its bcs-

1. its lighter smaller than the styer

2. you be lucky to see anything more than 100m infront of you msian jungle is really really thick there isnt much open space something like 85% is dense jungle,urban, or plantations

3.Styer has been prone to fail during wet weather, msia territory army still uses the m-16 and that gun has a good track record

4. less parts?

Paxter

Big-E said:
Why is this a stupid question? The Steyr Aug as an assualt rifle is more accurate than the M4. The M4 is a shorter version of the M-16. It is more suited to Special forces. Unless every soldier in Maylasia is going into special ops I think its dumb. Groupings with the M4 are more dispersed than the Steyr Aug, especially on full auto.
Prob cause we operate only in the jungle or urban areas, if your main arena is in the jungle wouldnt a shorter m-16, lighter, accurate at short range, less parts, capable to switch mag between m-16 and m-5 very durable in wet wealther make a diffrence?

Adler

Guess what, the Malaysian Armed Force, Reserved, PGA and some regiment still using the old M16 and the Bren :lol3 , some using the styer AUG, few AK-74 and now M4 colt. I've ssen them and they look more like a mercernaries with rag-tag equipment to me. Bellieve it or not it is more to political scandal. They will start change everything when there is new Prime Minister in office. Bellieve you me thats nothing but the truth. :D

malaysia boleh

Big-E

Banned Member
Paxter said:
maybe its bcs-

1. its lighter smaller than the styer

2. you be lucky to see anything more than 100m infront of you msian jungle is really really thick there isnt much open space something like 85% is dense jungle,urban, or plantations

3.Styer has been prone to fail during wet weather, msia territory army still uses the m-16 and that gun has a good track record

4. less parts?
If these are the criteria then they should just get surplus AKs. The M-4 is a special-ops weapon, it is reliable only if it is properly taken care off. It is only accurate when handled by a trained marksman. It sounds like all they need a weapon for is to spray the jungle with cheap ammo.

Ding

Adler said:
Guess what, the Malaysian Armed Force, Reserved, PGA and some regiment still using the old M16 and the Bren :lol3 , some using the styer AUG, few AK-74 and now M4 colt. I've ssen them and they look more like a mercernaries with rag-tag equipment to me. Bellieve it or not it is more to political scandal. They will start change everything when there is new Prime Minister in office. Bellieve you me thats nothing but the truth. :D

malaysia boleh
whoa dude... that's not nice. Malaysian Army is highly trained and are professional. Calling other armies 'looking like mercenaries with rag tag equipments' is not nice, especialy if you dont know much about the army.

FYI, at the moment, Steyrs are used for the frontline regiments, M16A2 are for the reserves (territorial army). If you checked on the net, yes, we still have Brens on our inventory (recently removed) but we dont use it anymore. We have some AK47s as trials.

In the army, they are trying a concept call BIS, which stands for Battalion Infantry Standard. In a BIS equipped squad/platoon there will be a mix of Steyrs assault rifles (assault guys), M249 (Machinegunners), grenade launchers (grenadiers??) and RPG7Ds (Anti armor personnels)

My view on the M4. Since the army primarily operates in close confines (ie thick jungle, swamps, cities, towns - we dont have a lot of open areas in Malaysia) it would be a better decision in having the M4 as it's lighter, shorter, more maneuravable in close confines. I agree with Paxter on this matter.

Last edited:

Ding

Big-E said:
If these are the criteria then they should just get surplus AKs. The M-4 is a special-ops weapon, it is reliable only if it is properly taken care off. It is only accurate when handled by a trained marksman. It sounds like all they need a weapon for is to spray the jungle with cheap ammo.
Bro, we do not 'spray the jungle with cheap ammo'. Saying that seems to imply that the Malaysian Army is a bunch of untrained blokes which fights by 'spraying the jungle with cheap ammo'. Just to put the record straight:cool:

Big-E

Banned Member
Ding said:
Bro, we do not 'spray the jungle with cheap ammo'. Saying that seems to imply that the Malaysian Army is a bunch of untrained blokes which fights by 'spraying the jungle with cheap ammo'. Just to put the record straight:cool:
Well thats what the U.S. did in Vietnam, so I think your reading to much into it.;)

Paxter

Adler said:

malaysia boleh
urm the bern has been decom a while ago where do you get all this info? to my understanding and ive check with some of my friends who are in the reserved they are farely well armed, the ak-74 was just prob like for testing not for real combat use. They are mainly armed with the m-16. BTW what the hell does this got to do with a new prime minister? the army decides what they want but the final say is with the ministry of finance ;)

the pm ,may have a say but he doesnt choose what weapons are to be used...

Ding

Big-E said:
Well thats what the U.S. did in Vietnam, so I think your reading to much into it.;)
sorry Big E.... I think I got carried away there.... apology offered;) also a bit of correction... not RPG 7D, it's RPG 7V...

Last edited:

renjer

Images you see of Malaysian soldiers not in full uniform are of our special forces on duty or on training. They are trying to blend into the environment that they will have to operate in (e.g. against pirates in the Malacca Straits or against Abu Sayyaf-like elements on the Sulu/Sulawesi Seas). AKs are only used by our naval commandoes (i.e. PASKAL). The standard weapons are the Steyr A1 and M16 A1. There are obviously older stocks of FLs and Brens which are no longer in active use but are still part of the national war stock that get taken out once in a while. Some other government agencies such the Prison Department and Customs & Excise use the M16 A2.

Michael RVR is probably right, switching to the M4 has something to do with a lost of production rights to the Steyr A3. BTW, is this confirmed? I have heard rumours of this but cannot get the information verified. Back in 2004 during the last DSA there was a big deal being made about Malaysia securing the production as well as global marketing rights to the A3. I believe there was then a political uproar in Austria about circumventing some European arms export control protocol. Anyone care to shed some on light on this?

Adler

Ding said:
whoa dude... that's not nice. Malaysian Army is highly trained and are professional. Calling other armies 'looking like mercenaries with rag tag equipments' is not nice, especialy if you dont know much about the army.

FYI, at the moment, Steyrs are used for the frontline regiments, M16A2 are for the reserves (territorial army). If you checked on the net, yes, we still have Brens on our inventory (recently removed) but we dont use it anymore. We have some AK47s as trials.

In the army, they are trying a concept call BIS, which stands for Battalion Infantry Standard. In a BIS equipped squad/platoon there will be a mix of Steyrs assault rifles (assault guys), M249 (Machinegunners), grenade launchers (grenadiers??) and RPG7Ds (Anti armor personnels)

My view on the M4. Since the army primarily operates in close confines (ie thick jungle, swamps, cities, towns - we dont have a lot of open areas in Malaysia) it would be a better decision in having the M4 as it's lighter, shorter, more maneuravable in close confines. I agree with Paxter on this matter.
Sorry mate.... I'm Malaysian and that's what info I've got from PGA (pasukan Gerakan Am, Wataniah, Army & special force and I've grown up in Army camp myself.
People said that they keep the good and hitec. stuff for the Merdeka day parade, media and joint exercise. Maybe the army bit secerative about what they have :eek:hwell . Anyway that's what I've seen for 28 years living with them and firing the guns, like bren, M16, MP3/5 in the firing range. Cheers....

Paxter

Adler said:
People said that they keep the good and hitec. stuff for the Merdeka day parade, media and joint exercise.
if thats the case im sure those military guards near my kampong are holding toy styers :p

anyway here is some cool info in this latest local def mag showed a local testing of the M4A1 and there were also testing optical sights and one of the most covered and liked by the army is the aimpoint comp4 red dots if they do purchase em i wonder how many M4A1 will get to use em btw... msia baught 110,000 M4A1s

Ding

Adler said:
Sorry mate.... I'm Malaysian and that's what info I've got from PGA (pasukan Gerakan Am, Wataniah, Army & special force and I've grown up in Army camp myself.
People said that they keep the good and hitec. stuff for the Merdeka day parade, media and joint exercise. Maybe the army bit secerative about what they have :eek:hwell . Anyway that's what I've seen for 28 years living with them and firing the guns, like bren, M16, MP3/5 in the firing range. Cheers....
I'm a Malaysian also, I was a member of the territorial force (wataniah). never in my life i shot a bren. only m16s and steyrs. even in training - without media around - it's always m16s and/or steyrs. nope, never shot a bren, mp3/5 in the firing range. never saw guys shooting that in my days in the force (2000-2004). maybe the ones you saw was 30 years ago????

Paxter

well if you said u live in an army camp while u were growing up then yeah prob there were berns around at that time... technically communism ended by the late 80s and the bern was used during the communist emergancy. But after that with the modernisation of our country armed forces weapons have change i dont doubt they still keep the bern in some storage as weapon stocks but i really REALLY doubt any modern msian trooper (regular or irregular) uses it.