Malaysia may buy rocket launchers from Pakistan

The Watcher

:smokingc:

Malaysia may buy rocket launchers from Pakistan

SUBANG : Malaysia may purchase rockets and rocket launchers from Pakistan.

Pakistan Ordnance Factories (POF) Director of Exports Khawar Nawaz said Malaysia had expressed interest in buying the weapons, and discussions are ongoing.

Mr Nawaz was speaking to Bernama news agency at the ongoing 9th Defence Services Asia 2004 (DSA 2004) exhibition in Subang on Wednesday.

"They are negotiating the delivery and terms of payment. However, the volume is not known," he said.

He disclosed that Pakistan had also offered to sell small arms, especially MP5 sub-machine guns, to Malaysia.

Before this, Malaysia had bought 25,700 high explosive anti-tank (Heat) rockets from Pakistan.

Mr Nawaz said Pakistan was already collaborating with Malaysia's SME Ordnance Sdn Bhd in the area of supplying semi-finished ammunition and raw materials for the manufacture of ammunition and hand grenades.

"We have also offered them and the Malaysian Armed Forces specific training in armament production and quality control. We are keen to expand our collaboration," he said. - CNA

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
Actually Malaysia already purchase Baktar Shikan, 5000m range ATGM.
The purchas of RPG came after Malaysian military strategis was impressed by the effectiveness of this weapons in the hand of the Guerilla in afghanistan and recently in Iraq. This purchase was to fulfilled Malaysian need to equip it's troop with low cost and simple but effective AT weapons to it's troops.

adsH

Awang se said:
Actually Malaysia already purchase Baktar Shikan, 5000m range ATGM.
The purchas of RPG came after Malaysian military strategis was impressed by the effectiveness of this weapons in the hand of the Guerilla in afghanistan and recently in Iraq. This purchase was to fulfilled Malaysian need to equip it's troop with low cost and simple but effective AT weapons to it's troops.
\
seams like a good enough reason to me cheap and effective

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
Baktar Shikan is a guided weapon so you can expect a vast advantages this weapon have over RPG-7and any other unguided rockets. It's range alone makes RPG look like a toy. I'm not even mention the accuracy over range, level of technology involved and many other things.

mysterious

After all, two Black Hawks in Mogadishu were brought down by RPGs. You just need someone with a good sight and aim, leave the rest to the RPG. ;)

mysterious

MLRs? Are you kidding me? Pakistan does 'not' make MLRs by friend. Its too much of a complicated thing to come to terms with, at least for now! Its the RPG-7 only as pointed out by everyone. Its the Rocket Propelled-Grenade to make it clear. Its quite effective if the person using it has a good aim and firing ability.

Salman78

mysterious said:
MLRs? Are you kidding me? Pakistan does 'not' make MLRs by friend. Its too much of a complicated thing to come to terms with, at least for now! Its the RPG-7 only as pointed out by everyone. Its the Rocket Propelled-Grenade to make it clear. Its quite effective if the person using it has a good aim and firing ability.
Pakistan 'Does' make MLRS. Its the Dr A Q Khan Research Laboratories 122 mm (30-round) system. It has some local name too which i cant remember. It has also been paraded on the 23rd Marach display. Its not a high tech thing and not complicated at all.

Why would malaysia be buying RPG's from pakistan as they r so openly available. I bet a lot of ppl in 'darra" area can make them.

Salman78

"Malaysian Army has taken delivery of the first consignment of high explosive anti-tank (HEAT) rockets from Pakistan in June this year. The consignment of 12,700 40mm HEAT rockets is part of Malaysia’s order of 25,700 rockets from Pakistan. The second delivery of 13,000 HEAT rockets is being made this month (September). Also remember that last year Malaysia decided to buy a weapon system and missiles worth some RM80 million (US$21.05 million) from Pakistan. Malaysia ordered two types of missiles – Baktar Shikan and Anza MkII. Both the Baktar Shikan and Anza MkII were part of a RM446 million weaponry purchase package from Pakistan"

http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_4.shtml

so i did my homework and found out that those were NOT RPG's at all as i had always suspected. Calling these HEAT tank rounds 'rockets' is wrong in the first place. They have a specific name for this purpose.

Another mistake i noticed is that they cant be 40 mm. should be anywhere from 100 to 130 mm...

whose kidding now ??? :smokingc:

mysterious

My friend you have confused 'two' separate news as being one! Bakhtar Shikans and Anzas are old story now!! They have been delivered and the deal is done on those heat seekers. The RPG-7 deal is 'another separate' deal which is different from the Bakhtar Shikan and Anza deal. RPG-7 deal was signed after the Malaysians were impressed by the Pakistani improvement on the basic RPG and the general performance of RPGs as a low-cost, good accuracy and destruction type weapon in the Afghan wars as well as others. Bakhtar Shikan as an Anti-Tank Guided Missile while Anza Mk-II (I think) is the shoulder fired SAM for low-flying objects/intruders. RPG-7 is of course neither of the two as it is a Rocket Propelled Grenade and is part of a 'different' deal which was concluded 'after' the Bakhtar Shikan and Anza deal was completed. Hope I got my message across properly. :smokingc:

yasin_khan

Friends thats good news.
first they bought Anza MK1 and MK2.
second they bought Baktar Shikan.
and now RPG-7 .They were also interested in Al-Khalid MBT.I think they will buy lots of stuff in comming years like small arms,anti tank missiles,tanks etc bcoz our things are effective and cheap. :)

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
I suspected the RPG-7 is for para brigade.

MINDEF did mention it's intention to purchase another type of tank other than PT-91M to complete a tank regiment or maybe a tank brigade. They yet to specified the type.