Malaysia may buy rocket launchers from Pakistan

Salman78

yasin_khan said:
Friends thats good news.
first they bought Anza MK1 and MK2.
second they bought Baktar Shikan.
and now RPG-7 .They were also interested in Al-Khalid MBT.I think they will buy lots of stuff in comming years like small arms,anti tank missiles,tanks etc bcoz our things are effective and cheap. :)

I wish other muslim countries would follow the example of Malaysia and purchase weapons from other brotherly muslim countries. atleast the basic stuff and from here the basis for combined production and technology transfer can take place. malaysia has good relationship with US and could have easily bought this stuff from any other bidder.

mysterious

Well, to add a bit more knowledge here; the US and other developed countries (like France) are already buying small amunitions and equipment from Pakistan. Apparently, the US is running low on its stocks of bullets, guns, grenades, etc so Pakistan is making some hard cash on the sale of those at the moment.

Awang Se, any hints from the Malaysian side that the new tank regiment would be equipped with Pakistan Al-Khalids? I believe I heard that news a while back from somewhere but am not too sure as to how much substance it holds.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
Not yet that i know. If they did, maybe only selected few high ranking government and military officers. A Captain like myself might know it a week before it hit the headlines.

blain2

The latest Malaysian deal with Pakistan has nothing to do with RPG-7s. The Malaysians have been working on testing and qualifying the Pakistani Baktar Shikan ATGW for a while (Pakistan has the same config albeit on M113s). They finally decided to go ahead with this purchase. In the past they have bought the same weapon system although in different configuration.

Malaysia accepts Pakistani ATGW
Malaysia has taken delivery of its Armoured Combat Vehicle (ACV) 300-series tracked armoured vehicles fitted with the Pakistani Baktar Shikan anti-tank guided weapon (ATGW). A contract was placed in late 2000 with FNSS Savunma Sistemleri of Turkey for 211 ACV 300 vehicles in 10 configurations.

http://jdw.janes.com/

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
I'm not aware about the Bakthar Shikan was fitted for ACV-300. I thought it was rejected. what i know, Bakthar Shikan will be mounted on top of locally made 4x4 vehicles. Guess my source screwed up.

zamrijf50

fyi...both the contracts have been fulfill and both the anza ,bakhtiar shikan and the rpg 7 are in service...and this contract was before the DSA 2004 and it was also mentioned of a weapon system being bought ...and this has been a mystery till now.what weapon system was it and whther it has been delivered yet....??? this could means that msia bought from pak anza and bakhtiar shikan missile system ,rpg 7 and a weapon system...and it was suggested that it could have been a tactical missile system produced by pak
and it was a hush2 contract

as for the 2004 announcement on msia interest in acquiring pak rockets could have been a missile system as msia has recently made a statement on acquiring missile technology and rockets tech too.

msia does not announced all of her weaponary purchases.esp those deemed tactical in nature.... :roll

mysterious

As far as I know, ATGWs and RPG-7s have been sold to Malaysia and all of the requested amount has been delivered. :smokingc:

nanotaku

I just hope for Malaysia would purchase the Al-Khalid in big numbers soon.
And hopefully they will announce the MLRS/Tactical Missile program soon. :alian2

lipanlapan

blain2 said:
The latest Malaysian deal with Pakistan has nothing to do with RPG-7s. The Malaysians have been working on testing and qualifying the Pakistani Baktar Shikan ATGW for a while (Pakistan has the same config albeit on M113s). They finally decided to go ahead with this purchase. In the past they have bought the same weapon system although in different configuration.

Malaysia accepts Pakistani ATGW
Malaysia has taken delivery of its Armoured Combat Vehicle (ACV) 300-series tracked armoured vehicles fitted with the Pakistani Baktar Shikan anti-tank guided weapon (ATGW). A contract was placed in late 2000 with FNSS Savunma Sistemleri of Turkey for 211 ACV 300 vehicles in 10 configurations.

http://jdw.janes.com/
Awang se said:
I'm not aware about the Bakthar Shikan was fitted for ACV-300. I thought it was rejected. what i know, Bakthar Shikan will be mounted on top of locally made 4x4 vehicles. Guess my source screwed up.
This one, I suppose? ;)

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
look like you scan it from a magazine or newspaper. What kind of magazine and in what issue.

Paxter

Urm... malaysia already has MLRS its the astros II from brazil... the rpgs are for its wataniah units... basicly their 3rd line and cannon fodder... the MBT from pakistan was an option and no they went for some polish tanks instead... not everything malaysia buys must come from pakistan you know.....

zamrijf50

does anybody knows of any new collabaration between pak and msia as regarding misiile and rocket tech...it is known that msia is pursuing such technology and had a collobaration with bosnia on development of a MLRS system...

the sending of former ARMY chief as a special ambassador to pak seems to hilite the possibility of a secretive project between pak and msia.and it was aknown fact that msia troops went to pakistan for winter and mountain warfare training in the early 90s and maybe even now.

i would suspect that the rocket could be a down graded HATF-1?????

kubai02

Paxter said:
Urm... malaysia already has MLRS its the astros II from brazil... the rpgs are for its wataniah units... basicly their 3rd line and cannon fodder... the MBT from pakistan was an option and no they went for some polish tanks instead... not everything malaysia buys must come from pakistan you know.....
I read an article that the RPG7s are already operational with the para units and also the standard infantry batalions. Wataniah (territorial army) probably will be provided with the Carl Gustaf M2s. Typically the TAs get the "pass-me-downs" from the army. Note that they are still using the M16s; not the Steyr yet.

Yep.. malaysia buys from a lot of sources... not putting everything in one basket. I believe malaysia should buy more of those French Eryx - minimal back-blast. Good for urban fighting and jungle usage.