Major new US Coast Guard cutter?

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two or three hits from a Carl Gustav 84mm RR pretty much totalled an Argentine corvette in the Falklands - so I'm sure RPG hits could cause casualties and start fires at the least.

My2Cents

Two or three hits from a Carl Gustav 84mm RR pretty much totalled an Argentine corvette in the Falklands - so I'm sure RPG hits could cause casualties and start fires at the least.
ARA Guerrico -- I dead, 5 wounded from small arms fire, mostly on the open aft 40mm mount. 2 hits from the Carl Gustav, plus some antitank rockets. The 1st Carl Gustav round did knock out the power to the 100mm mount forward, the 40mm aft had its crew shot up by small arms, and most the smaller weapons jamming (Argentinean non-maintenance?) putting her temporarily out of action.

The 100mm gun was operational again within 1 hour and firing on the British positions. She got back to port under her own power, and only took 3 days in dry dock to repair. Some good damage, but hardly totaled.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
ARA Guerrico -- I dead, 5 wounded from small arms fire, mostly on the open aft 40mm mount. 2 hits from the Carl Gustav, plus some antitank rockets. The 1st Carl Gustav round did knock out the power to the 100mm mount forward, the 40mm aft had its crew shot up by small arms, and most the smaller weapons jamming (Argentinean non-maintenance?) putting her temporarily out of action.

The 100mm gun was operational again within 1 hour and firing on the British positions. She got back to port under her own power, and only took 3 days in dry dock to repair. Some good damage, but hardly totaled.
Mission kill from a fairly elderly 84mm fired by the bloke who usually was the ship's steward ain't bad work for an afternoon tho :)

Let's put it this way, an NSC would almost certainly survive being hit by multiple rounds from RPG strikes but you'd be having an exciting time of it.

fretburner

Banned Member
Let's put it this way, an NSC would almost certainly survive being hit by multiple rounds from RPG strikes but you'd be having an exciting time of it.
Haha! I bet it's gonna a really exciting day. :D

Would you folks know why a Mk 46 gun system is not installed in the NSC? Is it simply not needed?

Sea Toby

Haha! I bet it's gonna a really exciting day. :D

Would you folks know why a Mk 46 gun system is not installed in the NSC? Is it simply not needed?
Yes. Bertholf class cutters have a 20-mm CIWS along with a 57-mm Mk 110, not to mention a number of other small arms. But I am sure if push came to shove, a 30-mm Mk 46 could be installed whenever necessary. Surely you didn't expect the NSC to be equipped with every small gun mount? The soon to be discarded Reliance class medium endurance cutters don't have anything larger than a 25-mm gun mount.