Made in Singapore Equipment

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
ST Kinetics in trials in Canada: BRONCO New Gen new all terrain tracked carrier ST Kinetics Singapore defense industry - YouTube

The new Bronco New-Gen combines the mobility of the lighter Bronco with the proven high survivability of the heavier Warthog. This new video touts a new internal layout, a v-shaped hull and numerous other improvements.

In April 2014, Singapore’s Minister for Defence Dr Ng Eng Hen offered Changi Command and Control (C2) Centre to host a regional Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) coordination centre. The offer, made at the ASEAN-US Defence Ministers' informal meeting, was supported by ASEAN Ministers. Singapore's Minister for Defence Dr Ng Eng Hen said:
"It occurred to us that what we really needed was a centre - if you like, a command and control centre - that was stood up all the time (and) had the ability to input all the information that various agencies would bring to bear when such crises occurred and make a coherent picture for everyone to see."​

Speaking to the media ahead of SAF Day, Dr Ng said the recent Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines underlined the need for a Joint-Multi-Mission Ship (JMMS). On the JMMS he said:

"A larger JMMS would be able to carry more helicopters or have more helicopters operating. When we responded to Typhoon Haiyan...basically, the typhoon was so devastating that comms and communication were knocked out. There was no centralised ability for command and control of the airspace. In that context, a ship like the JMMS would have been very useful."​

Dr Ng said Singapore is also working out the mechanics to be the region's coordinating centre for Humanitarian Assistance Disaster Relief efforts. However, the centre should not simply respond when a crisis hits, he said. Instead, it should build networks – similar to United Nations agencies and voluntary welfare organisations – and pre-position them so that countries know where these resources are. There will also be some equipping changes for last mile delivery by the Singapore Army, which I would assume means having a more capable watercraft than the existing LARC V. In February 2014, the following was announced:-

See also Humdinga Demo in Singapore:
"Graham Jenkins, public relations and marketing director for Gibbs Amphibians, said that initially, ST Kinetic, also known as STK, will also have the opportunity to sell the Humdinga throughout the world. Gibbs is working on licensing agreements for the Humdinga with companies in other regions of the globe. The Humdinga is a 21.5-foot, four-wheel-drive fast amphibian that is capable of reaching the most challenging and remote terrain in the world. It is designed for use in flooded areas where it’s ability to go between dry areas, moderately flooded areas and deep water... The four-wheel-drive Humdinga is 21.5 feet long... “The government (customers of STK) are very interested in getting a vehicle to handle those kinds of conditions,” Jenkns said

STK is licensing Gibbs High Speed Amphibian technology, which includes its retractable suspension system, proprietary jet design as well as other design characteristics such as the hull shape that allows Gibbs’ vehicles to make have a shallow keel, which improves ground clearance on land. STK will also be able to use the Humdinga name, but it has not been decided whether it would carry the Gibbs or STK name. The Gibbs Humdinga is capable of 30 mph on water and highway speeds on land. STK will make some design modifications to the Humdinga, possibly including a new engine. STK will take one to two years to reengineer the vehicle and set up a production in Singapore. Jenkins anticipates that STK will produce about 200 units within a year of beginning production. Beyond that, production numbers are a pure guess, but he said that it could easily rise into the thousands per year. Gibbs is looking for three to seven additional partners for programs similar to the Humdinga. Jenkins said STK is paying Gibbs a large, upfront licensing fee and a royalty for each vehicle it sells. He did not disclose the amount of either the licensing fee or the royalty. The Humdinga is capable of 30 mph on water and highway speeds on land."​

The engine change makes perfect sense, as it will enable the Singapore Army to standardize on the same Cat C-9 based power packs for the amphibious Terrex ICV that can drive on its own out the back of an amphibious vessel at least 12 miles from shore and swim at 8 knots and STK's version of this new amphibious resupply vehicle that can swim at above 25 knots.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
On 22 July 2014, the Philippine Department of National Defense issued a Notice to Proceed (NTP) to ST Kinetics of Singapore for the supply and delivery of 8 units 40mm Automatic Grenade Launchers (AGLs) for the Philippine Marine Corps.

Last year, I had a hands on briefing from a member on the staff from ST Kinetics on the latest features on their improved AGLs, which have some newer features than those currently in-service with some Singapore units (who are using an earlier Mark 1 AGL). ST Kinetics currently has two automatic grenade launcher offerings. First is the very successful CIS-40 AGL Mark 2, and then there is also the Lightweight AGL. Nan-Sang Chin, Principal Engineer on the AGL MK2 project, discusses the quick change barrel and the interface to the bolt and feeding mechanism. This system has been somewhat simplified, and made very user friendly. It also allows the Mark 2 to break down into a smaller package for transport.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
IHS Jane's has reported on 17 September 2014, that a third 75 m Al-Ofouq class vessel was launched by ST Marine for Oman. In April 2012, ST Marine beat Dutch company Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding and India's Goa Shipyard to clinch the four-ship, SGD880 million (USD$ 703 million) contract on offer by the Omani Ministry of Defence. The Al-Ofouq class displaces approximately 1,100 tonnes and accommodates a crew of about 60. With a top speed of 27 knots, it can attain a standard range of 3,000 n miles at 16 knots.

ST Marine told IHS Jane's that the first vessel-in-class was launched on 29 January 2014 while the second vessel hit the water on 17 June the same year. The patrol ships are expected to be delivered from the second quarter of 2015, with the final vessel to be handed over in the third quarter of 2016.

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hey OPSSG, necromancing this thread for a quick question.

Do you know something about the Bionix II variant recently oprated at Exercise Wallaby in Australia last month?
I do not follow every publication of SAF training photos so obviously it might have been shown at earlier occasions already, but I never saw it so far.

I noticed some differences to the usual Bionix II version, i.e. a different gunner sight and different gun mantlet configuration, including the lack of a coaxial machine-gun and case ejection port as well as a different gun mount. The latter two possibly indicating a different main gun altogether instead of the Mk44 Bushmaster II.

First image shows a detailed look from Ex Wallaby, second is a quick and dirty comparison to the usual Bionix 2.

--

Source for Ex Wallaby photo.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you know something about the Bionix II variant recently oprated at Exercise Wallaby in Australia last month?
I do not follow every publication of SAF training photos so obviously it might have been shown at earlier occasions already, but I never saw it so far.

I noticed some differences to the usual Bionix II version, i.e. a different gunner sight and different gun mantlet configuration, including the lack of a coaxial machine-gun and case ejection port as well as a different gun mount. The latter two possibly indicating a different main gun altogether instead of the Mk44 Bushmaster II.
Now that you mention it, I see what you mean. However, I have not been keeping track, as I have been busy with other matters. I note that this time the SAF also brought LEOPARD 2SGs. A member who is an AI may be better able to comment.

bdique

Hey OPSSG, necromancing this thread for a quick question.

First image shows a detailed look from Ex Wallaby, second is a quick and dirty comparison to the usual Bionix 2.

--

Source for Ex Wallaby photo.
Now that you mention it, I see what you mean. However, I have not been keeping track, as I have been busy with other matters. I note that this time the SAF also brought LEOPARD 2SGs. A member who is an AI may be better able to comment.
DavidDCM, you are looking at the BX2 command variant.

Here's a link to help you better understand what you are looking at: Senang Diri: Exercise Wallaby 2011 war machines return to Singapore after intensive war games in Oz

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Ah yes I see, thank you for these answers, mates!

I wonder how the cannon is operated without a visible case ejection port, maybe internal case collection. But you'd probably have to climb inside the vehicle to see their technical solution.

--
Was it the first time the Leopard 2SG-version was brought to an overseas exercise?

bdique

Ah yes I see, thank you for these answers, mates!

I wonder how the cannon is operated without a visible case ejection port, maybe internal case collection. But you'd probably have to climb inside the vehicle to see their technical solution.
Glad to be of help. Being a command variant, you might be a little surprised at what you find inside.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Army Open House (AOH17) is in the city this weekend of 27 May 2017.

A rare chance to see the men and some Singapore made machines of the Singapore Army in action. This includes:

(1) the Red Lions in action at AOH17;
(2) the Special Operations Force (SOF), along with the Army Deployment Force (ADF), demonstrating their capabilities for a counter terrorism scenario; and
(3) lots of new equipment I have not seen in person before, such as, the Belrex Protected Combat Support Vehicle, Higuard Protected Mobility Vehicle, and the Ford F550 ambulance; amongst others.

Of particular interest is the appearance of the Next Generation Armoured Fighting Vehicle (built by ST Kinetics). Get the best experience possible of a day with men and machines by downloading the AOH17 app from: https://aoh17.skyopt.com

Last edited:

Joe Black

Singapore has finally rolled out and commissioned the new Armoured Fighting Vehicle and named it Hunter.

More information of the new AFV can be found here:
SAF unveils the Hunter, a new fully air-conditioned Armoured Fighting Vehicle
New SAF Hunter armoured fighting vehicle commissioned as Armour Formation turns 50
SAF unveils the Hunter, its first fully-digital Armoured Fighting Vehicle
Fact Sheet: Hunter Armoured Fighting Vehicle
Making a Mark for NDP 19

My personal take on this new fighting vehicle, there are some things that I like, some I don't.

Strengths:
1. fully digital - tailored for new generations of soldiers
2. new BMS (ARTEMIS) that will enhance co-operative engagements
3. new 360 all-round the vehicle surveillance system allows better situation awareness
4. hunter-killer engagement capability
5. 2xSpike anti-tank
6. Enhanced C4

Drawbacks:
1. Only 2x Spike missiles - no reloads
2. no Active Protection System, only traditional smoke launchers
3. No backup periscopes for troops in the troops compartment, only limited number of gunners and commander. What if there's an issue with the electric systems or batteries?
4. Limited troops carrying - carries only 4 troops on top of the 3 for the vehicle operation
5. Only 230 30mm rounds, no reloads.

For more insights into the vehicle, visit David Boey's blog:
Senang Diri: Defence minister Dr Ng Eng Hen commissions Singapore Army's Hunter Armoured Fighting Vehicle (AFV)

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Hunter IFV

1. The project for Hunter began in 2006 and finally commissioned in 2019. The Hunter is the logical outcome of the discussions at SAF's 2006 Land Defence Asia Conference. The concept of a Thunder Run is to thrust a sizeable force into the heart of the enemy’s nerve centre and establish itself there to threaten the physical sanctuary of the enemy’s leaders and psychologically defeat them. Some of the fiercest fighting pursuant to the 2nd American Thunder Run (7 to 8 April 2003) occurred at the 3 objectives at a series of east-west road junctions along Highway 8, named Curley, Larry, and Moe. Each of these 3 objectives along Highway 8 were seized by a company sized combined arms team from TF 3-15 Infantry (click here for details of the fight at Curley, Larry, and Moe) to hold the 3 objectives so as to keep the MSR (Highway 8) open to enable resupply of the armoured forces of 2nd BCT that were involved in the 2nd Thunder Run into Baghdad.

2. It is the first AFV designed and built in Singapore that shed the 3-metre limitation on vehicle width. The Hunter is noticeably taller and larger than the M113 Ultra it will replace and the Bionix family. The acquisition of the Hunter and the Leopard2-SG is designed to enable the Singapore Army to conduct a Thunder Run into an urban area. It is clear that in 2019, the SAF intends to have this capability. The focus is not on a single platform, rather, it is on delivering a capability for Singapore (supported by ISR, a range of sympathetic platforms, like the Bronco, the Belrex Protected Combat Support Vehicle and so on).
Drawbacks:
1. Only 2x Spike missiles - no reloads
2. no Active Protection System, only traditional smoke launchers
3. No backup periscopes for troops in the troops compartment, only limited number of gunners and commander. What if there's an issue with the electric systems or batteries?
4. Limited troops carrying - carries only 4 troops on top of the 3 for the vehicle operation
5. Only 230 30mm rounds, no reloads.
3. Thanks for the comprehensive post and links on the 5 types available Combat, Command, Bridgelayer, Recovery and Armoured Engineer. One minor error, in that the Combat or IFV version carries up to 11.

Crew Capacity 3 Pax:
1 x Commander
1 x Driver
1 x Gunner​
Dismounted Troops Up to 8

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Endurance 170 (Post 1 of 2)

1. On 2 July 2018 IHS Janes has reported and as other members have also noted in the RSN thread and NZ Navy thread, the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) will retire its Endurance-class landing platform dock (LPD)-like ships after 2020, and replace these with the Joint Multi Mission Ship (JMMS) platform. While Singapore’s defense ministry has yet to reveal the full scope of the JMMS program, ST Marine has show-cased various designs and reported by news outlets as early as 2017. These include the Endurance 170, .

2. The Endurance 170 (see: this bare bones ST Marine Fact sheet), as a JMMS has:
  • a length of 170 meters, a breadth of 30.80 meters, a draft of 6.60 meters for a full load displacement of 19,000 tons
  • crew complement - 140 sailors, and 150 air crew
  • the vessel can also accommodate 400 troops.
The design has a maximum speed of 20 knots, a range of 7000 nautical miles at 15 knots and an endurance of 30 days. For HADR missions, heavy vehicles and mechanized equipment can be embarked and disembarked with relative ease. This ship will have an advanced communications suite and it can be used as a command and communications centre for the relief mission. Further, the JMMS will have a 1,000m² medical facility, with three operating theatres, 10 intensive care unit beds and 17 beds in the hospital wards, as integral to the Endurance 170 design. Most importantly, Singapore's fleet of H225M utility helicopters and CH-47F helicopters can be deployed from the ship to provide in theatre airlift capabilities when roads and airfields are completely destroyed in major disasters.

3. ST Marine has both the domestic (i.e. the JMMS) and export market in sight; with either the Endurance 170 or Endurance 160 design.
Ten years to go for the new sealift ship but I think the Singapore 170 is going to be a front runner.

The size is more appropriate IMHO compared to the 200 m contempories like Dokdo or Izumi.

Given the number of helicopters available in the RNZAF i cant see half or more of the resources being deployed at one time. Its size and capabilities particularly its sensors and weapons makes me think this and the Canterbury replacement could end up being the primary capital ships in place of frigates as the Navy expands its OPV fleet with more capable vessels.

Being realistic, the E170 expands upon my previous comments regarding the Algerian LPD as a good choice for NZ. The E170 is 30 m longer and has three additional heli spots.

With the exception of the 5 inch bow gun and the speed of a frigate the multi purpose capability makes sense. As a SP intervention and HADR support vessel the GOTD would have a very powerful capability to promote and support regional stability. With its 76 mm cannon that should be sufficient for NGS if ever required.

The timeline for a hot production line also works.
4. My guess is that two JMMS will replace, the 4 upgraded Endurance Class vessels in Singapore service (upgraded in 2015).
Mindef said:
17 Feb 2015 - In response to a media query on the upgrade programme for the RSN's Landing Ships Tank (LST), Commanding Officer, 191Sqn, Colonel Thng Chee Meng issued the following reply:

The four Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) Endurance-Class Landing Ships Tank (LST) have been in service for more than 10 years. An upgrade programme for the LSTs started in 2013 to extend their operational lifespan. The upgrades will enable the LSTs to better support operational requirements for maritime security and operations other than war. To date, two LSTs (RSS Persistence and RSS Endurance) have been upgraded.

The key upgrades to the LSTs are:

a) Introduction of Combat Management System. The LSTs are equipped with an enhanced combat suite to improve network systems and integration with the rest of the RSN's fleet. The Combat Management System will aid the ship crew in the command and control of the sensor and weapon systems, providing a robust feedback loop for faster tracking of potential maritime threats. With these state-of-the-art data fusion, sense-making and decision support engines, there is increased awareness at the task force level which will allow the LSTs to have better situation awareness and to take quick decisive action.

b) Improved operational planning capability. Over the years, the LSTs have been deployed for a wide range of operations such as peace support operations, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief missions and counter-piracy operations. Through these deployments, it was determined that a dedicated operational planning capability for the task group on board the LST was required.

c) Better support for helicopter operations. Helicopters are typically deployed as part of operations other than war. To better cater for extended deployments of the helicopters out at sea, the hangar is fitted with facilities like an overhead crane and an upgraded Aircraft Ship Integrated Securing and Traversing System (ASIST) to provide comprehensive support and maintenance for helicopter operations.

d) Adoption of environmentally-friendly practices. Stricter environmental codes and standards present a need for the RSN to improve its environmentally-friendly features. In compliance with the Maritime Pollution Convention of which Singapore is a signatory, the garbage disposal system can now better handle larger garbage loads over longer deployments
5. Given the build time frame, one of these designs might be a potential fit for NZDF requirements, under points 69 to 72, in their just released 2019 Defence Capability Plan (the 2019 DCP). As ngatimozart has posted, the 2019 DCP has a indicated budget of NZ$1 billion for such a vessel, so the money is now budgeted and out of that budget approximately NZ$600 - 700 million will be for the vessel including landing craft, with the remaining NZ$300 - 400 million for other costs such as training, manuals, simulators, maintenance contracts etc.​

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Endurance 170 (Post 2 of 2)

6. Let me extract the relevant part of the 2019 DCP, below for ease of reference:
  • Recognising the high value of sealift to humanitarian and disaster relief, and the sustainment of deployed forces, in the mid-2020s an additional sealift vessel will be acquired. Operating alongside HMNZS Canterbury, this acquisition will provide two sealift vessels, and will greatly improve the effectiveness of the Defence Force, and the resilience of the nation, and the region.
  • The enhanced sealift vessel will have greater lift capacity than HMNZS Canterbury. The capability will provide a highly flexible military asset, including hospital facilities, planning spaces, and self-defence capabilities. It will also provide support for the deployment of a range of capabilities, including Special Forces, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and NH90 helicopters. The enhanced sealift capability will also improve the New Zealand Defence Force’s amphibious operations. Through the provision of a well dock, it will be able to conduct operations in a wider range of sea conditions, and will have the size and capacity to carry large equipment, and sufficient aviation capacity to allow extended, long duration operations. Its size will also provide for the transport of a larger number of personnel, allowing for the value of the increased size of the New Zealand Army to be realised.
  • Collectively, these enhancements will significantly increase our ability to respond to humanitarian and security events in the Pacific region. While a future project will determine detailed requirements for this capability, a Landing Platform Dock is an example of the type of vessel that will be considered.
  • Following 2030, HMNZS Canterbury will be withdrawn from service. At this time an investment will be made to further improve the Defence Force’s sealift capability with an additional vessel. Options will be explored against the composition of the fleet, the wider Defence Force and the prevailing strategic environment.
TBH, I don't think we'd go with a large gun on an LHD. However if we did, it wouldn't be a 76 mm because the shell is to light for NGS, and we'd be introducing a new calibre into the RNZN. The 5" would be the gun that would be chosen because of commonality with the frigates and the heavier weight of the shell, plus the fact that the 5" gun now has Excalibur shell options. Personally, I'd replace the large gun mount with a 35 mm Millennium gun, plus another one down aft above the flyco, along with a VLS for Sea Ceptor and SSM.

View attachment 46637

This is illustration of RNZN E-170 I did a whiles back.
7. So NZDF is looking to acquire one-ship in mid-2020s, around the same time that the Singapore Navy plans to acquire its first JMMS and a second in 2030. If ST Marine is able and successful in its pitch to the Governments of Singapore and New Zealand through their defence acquisition process, a +2 build plan that caters to both nations in mid-2020s to 2030 will result in savings for both.

Edit: 8. When compared to the upgraded Endurance Class, the JMMS will:

(a) be even more versatile when configured with standardized mission modules to take on a wide spectrum of operations, including additional modules to support search-and-rescue operations or be deployed with unmanned systems for surveillance or mine countermeasure operations;

(b) improve efficiency in logistics and engineering support. In "designing the support", the JMMS' operational readiness will be enhanced as less time will be required for maintenance of the ships;

(c) re-use and improve the sense-making and decision support systems used in other classes of RSN ships, like the LMV or MCRV, and also complemented by the already high levels of automation in Singapore ships. This will enhance situational awareness and accelerate decision making; and

(d) be equipped with an advanced integrated communication and network system that includes tracking of the ship's equipment and logistics status as well as crew movement.​

9. DSTA set up a naval analytical laboratory to support the study of new concepts, and the evaluation of workflow performance in the early phase of acquisition.

"To achieve lean manning for the LMV, the main operating centres of the ship, which include the Bridge, the Combat Information Centre (CIC) and the Machinery Control Room (MCR), were co-located at the Integrated Bridge-CICMCR (IBCM). This new design to centralise the crew at the IBCM will facilitate sub-team activities and interactions and streamline work processes for the crew.

Working jointly with the RSN, DSTA conducted Cognitive Task Analysis studies to analyse the workload and operator performance in the IBCM. As part of the studies, the team developed the naval analytical laboratory, leveraging Modelling and Simulation (M&S) technologies with combat management system prototypes and emulated combat systems to provide an IBCM setup in the laboratory. In developing the laboratory, the team harnessed existing M&S technologies to deliver 360-degree out-of-window views for the IBCM of the new vessel, giving operators a realistic and immersive experience.

To accommodate other platforms in the future, the team adopted virtualisation and zero-client technologies, enabling the laboratory to be configured quickly with minimal movement of computers and rewiring. With this laboratory, DSTA and the RSN have an enhanced capability in evaluating new configurations and workflow for future naval platforms."​

10. I suspect that without modification, the JMMS specs is not intended as a F-35B carrier - the flight deck is too short for F-35B operations (550ft/168m being the minimum for F-35B operations on a conventional flight deck) or the addition of a ski jump which would reduce the F-35B's take off distance to 450ft/137m. It is important not to trigger an arms race in Southeast Asia, as one of our objectives. We want to avoid too much attention on proposed capability and only add limited capability in small increments.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
PARIS --- Saudi Arabian Military Industries (SAMI) on 19 June 2019 signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with ST Engineering... <snip>

Dr. Andreas Schwer, CEO of SAMI, said: “The agreement with ST Engineering represents SAMI’s commitment to establishing and strengthening industry partnerships to accelerate Saudi Arabia’s journey towards localizing half of its military spending, increasing local content, boosting exports, and attracting foreign direct investment as envisaged in the Saudi Vision 2030. We are keen on leveraging the expertise and capabilities of ST Engineering to realize our overarching goal of establishing a sustainable military industries sector in the Kingdom.”

<snip>

Vincent Chong, President & CEO of ST Engineering, said, “Given our proven technological and defense solution expertise, as well as core competencies in the aerospace, electronics and marine sectors, I am confident that we will be able to identify areas in which ST Engineering can provide strong and value-added support to the Kingdom.”

Signed at the International Paris Air Show, the MoU will entail introducing the 8x8 Terrex 2 platform to the Royal Saudi Land Forces (RSLF), developing a next-generation Infantry Fighting Vehicle (IFV) for RSLF, and exploring partnership in MRO capability for commercial and military customers.

In addition, it will include building ships and naval crafts, examining scope for participation in C-130 upgrade and development of a new transport aircraft, and helping modernize the Saudi electronics manufacturing industry.
SAMI on 19 June 2019 signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with ST Engineering for:

(i) introducing the 8x8 Terrex 2 platform to the Royal Saudi Land Forces (RSLF); and

(ii) developing a next-generation Infantry Fighting Vehicle (IFV) for RSLF.

Looks like ST Engineering has found a potential buyer for the Terrex 2 (to enter full production), after its loss to BAE in the ACV competition for the US Marines. I suspect that the active protection system (APS), if there is one to be installed for the Terrex 2 may be from IBD Deisenroth Engineering (now a subsidiary of Rheinmetall AG), if the Germans allow the export of the system. Even without an APS, it's a very well protected vehicle that can swim with a 360 degree view thanks to the numerous cameras. SAMI has also aggressively entered into MOUs and joint ventures (JVs) with multiple defence contractors in a effort to "make" more in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

Last edited:

Joe Black

Sharing this from David Boey's (aka ChineseJunk) blog:

Great to see how Singapore (ST Engineering) has developed from the days of being a local company upgrading AMX-13 till today, a global company having the capability to design an advanced AFV/IFV.

I look forward to the day seeing images of SAF's Hunter ARVs working together with ADF's Land 400 Phase 3 IFVs (which I secretly hope would be the Rheinmetall KF-41 Lynx) in Queensland Shoalwater Bay training area.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Singapore Army Artillery Modernisation Efforts

In Feb 2019, Singapore has completed the development and testing of new version of its 120 mm Super Rapid Advanced Mortar System (SRAMS), called the Mk II, and new ammunition for it. The latest 120 mm ammunition includes the PM120 precision guided mortar bomb (PG MB), Extended Range High Explosive (ER HE), ER Infra-Red Red Phosphorous (IR RP) and ER Illuminating. These are all designed for use with smoothbore mortar systems.

The 120 mm PM120 is GPS guided and the company quoted a maximum range of up to 8.5 km and a circular error probable (CEP) of 10 m. The HE warhead contains 2.8 kg of TNT. ER HE also contains 2.8 kg of TNT but this can be insensitive munition (IM) compliant if requested by the customer and is fitted with a DM111A4/A5 nose mounted fuze. Maximum muzzle velocity was being quoted as 408 m/s and maximum range of up to 9 km. The ER RP contains three smoke canisters and is fitted with a MTSQ DM93 fuze, with a maximum muzzle velocity of 408 m/s and a maximum range of up to 9 km, ST Engineering said. The ER illuminating round has the same fuze, muzzle velocity, and range as the ER RP and has an illuminating intensity of 1.25 million cd. There is also the option of IR Illuminating.

In Feb 2018, ST Kinetics displayed a scale model of its 155mm/52 caliber Advanced Mobile Gun Systems (AMGS) project at Singapore AirShow. The AMGS is a wheeled self-propelled howitzer mounting a gun system carried on an 8x8 military truck chassis. AMGS has maximum rate of fire of 6 rounds per three minutes with an effective firing range of 40km with Extended Range, Full Bore (ERFB) ammunition. It has a traverse of +30° with elevation from -3° to +70°

The gun's automated charge and projectile loading system reduces crew fatigue. AMGS artillery system has a gross vehicle weight of 28,000 kg, a length of 11.5 m, width of 3 m, and height of 3.5 m. AMGS can be operated by a crew of three offering the capacity to fire first rounds in less than 30 seconds from road position and leave the firing position in the same time.

We are likely to hear more news on the AMGS’ developmental progress and it’s eventual roll out in 2020 to 2024.

Last edited: