Kiwi's select NH-90 for RNZAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

nz enthusiast

The government has already said they not approve all the projects on that list, and i believe they have already rejected some just as the anti shipping missile for the orions, and it doesn't seem they are to interested in some of the more 'deadly' weapons ones.

driftder

Hey good newsthen, we - Singpaore that is - are also buying the NH90. Maybe we can get a discount as the NH90 is quite expensive, since Australia and NZ is getting it. I understand that as the water clime differs from that in NZ, our anti-sub kit might not be the same. With this heli as a common platform in the different navies - US, Australia, NZ - training and spares should be easier.

Jezza

Australia should replace ALL Seahawks,Seakings,Seasprites and Blackhawks with the different varients of the NH-90 and have one chopper to do what the above choppers have been employed for. The savings could be put into extra Tigers.

nz enthusiast

I can't believe they still have seakings flying, they are so out of date. Its a relic of the cold war. In my view with Australia still runing seahawks and seakings, the NZ navy has a more modernly equiped navy rotary air arm.

knightrider4

We use them for heavy utility and as for out of date I wouldn't call a remanufatured SH2F cutting edge unless of course it's the SH2GA with ITAS and penguin missle.

nz enthusiast

This F model seasprites your reffering are now used for spare parts, and some bits have been sent back to the manufacture ages ago. The thing wrong with our G seasprites is that we haven't upgraded from the maverick yet. We actually have more seasprites on order and the number of mavericks we have in storage might not be enough to equip them all. SO we could be looking at a new missile (possibly).

A

Aussie Digger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
nz enthusiast said:
I can't believe they still have seakings flying, they are so out of date. Its a relic of the cold war. In my view with Australia still runing seahawks and seakings, the NZ navy has a more modernly equiped navy rotary air arm.
NZethusiast, as to the capabilities of the RNZAF helo force, I'll direct you're attention to here: http://www.yaffa.com.au/defence/current/source.htm

This article is in the current Australian Defence Magazine where the NZ Under Secretary for defence (Acquisition) is interviewed by ADM. He talks abouts NZ's Super Seasprites and admits they only have them in-service because they deliberately chose a much lower level of capability with this aircraft then Australia chose for it's Super Seasprites.

The Sea King's will most likely be gone within the next few years, but the Sea Hawks are still more advanced than RNZAF's Super Seasprites in and are about to undergo a mid life upgrade improving their capability still further. In addition the first RAN Seahawk to get it's full EWSP kit has just been finished and the other 15 will follow-on shortly...

nz enthusiast

ok so it says this
"The Seasprite's a good example. There was a helicopter that we both decided we were going to buy, but we had different configurational requirements. In the end we had separate contracts, but they were negotiated about the same time, and we all knew each other's position. Australia went one way, we went the other way. We decided on a lower level of capability, and that gave us an advantage in timing for the supply of that aircraft."
Ok so Australias seapsrite maybe better, but your seakings are just damn old. Accoring to your navys website they aren't even armed with air to surface missiles it says: http://www.navy.gov.au/aircraft/seaking.htm
Weapon Systems
Two Mk46 Torpedo or
Two Mk11 Depth Charges
One 7.62 machine gun
Your seahawks can stay because they still have life, and are still nominee for the best in the world but Seakings, seakings, now they need replacing.

A

Aussie Digger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Sea Kings ARE old I'll grant you that, but they're no longer used by the RAN for anti-submarine or Anti-surface warfare duties. These are currently conducted by the RAN's 16 strong fleet of Sea Hawks and will be also done by our 11 strong fleet of Sea Sprites, when they are finally operational (ie: by the end of 2005).

The Sea Kings are now only used for utility tasks (ie: heavy lifting) and are due to be replaced from around 2008. The decision will be made in the 2006/07 time frame, but I personally bet we'll see a decision for additional MRH-90's to replace the Sea Kings soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.