Kiwi's select NH-90 for RNZAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aussie Digger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think what he's saying is "yes" webs...

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
EnigmaNZ, those are some great commments. :) I'd likewise be interested to find out what the NH-90's deployability would be in various AC. It's demonstrative that the "best" of anything isn't always the best for a particular user, considering their needs and limitations.

hot222

EnigmaNZ said:
Nice helicopter but... when natural disaster strikes in the Pacific, a C-130 with a UH-1 inside is often sent to help with inter island transport, what will happen with the UH-1's are replaced with the larger NH-90's. I prosume the UH-60 was designed low slung to be carried around in the C-130, perhaps we should have gone down this route for this reason, no doubt the NH-90 was choosen as it was also choosen by the ADF and we tend to follow their purchases.
Is NZ going to replace all Hueys, or is going to keep a small number? Normally every goverment/general staff, when is going to purchase an aircraft, creates a list with the requirements that must be accomplished by the aircraft. This is a priority list. The higher the more important. Military or ...political! Normally that kind of mission is not in a high place for an Army.

A

Aussie Digger

I'd imagine the UH-1H fleet will be totally withdrawn. The US Army is no longer operating the UH-1H and has stopped supporting this aircraft type. As a result most users are now ridding themselves off this aircraft...

I haven't seen anything indicating that the NH-90 will fit in a C-130 and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't, they are a bloody huge aircraft... Despite the fact that they won't fit in a Herc though is hardly a reason not to choose them. A Blackhawk will only fit in after damn near disassembling the whole thing... With most Countries in the Asia-Pacific only a day or 2's steaming time from NZ, I hardly think it's the most critical issue here. The MRV will allow NZ to deploy a significant number of Helo's in a quick enough period of time. The Hercs can be used for more useful things such as deploying troops, vehicles material etc...

Jason_kiwi

New Zealand will transport its NH90's on their new MRV. I THINK the MRV can carry about five of them. Can anybody confirm that?

nz enthusiast

Sadly not so many jason_kiwi, according to information on the governments defence website it can only carry two helicopters, principly a seasprite and a NH-90.
The NH-90 when disassembled should be able to fit in one or two C-130Hs. I wonder how the Nh-90 fits inside a A-400M? because since both options are european and designed by the same group of people they should be designed to work together.

nz enthusiast

Ok the site says it can carry 5 Nh-90s which i assume means that it can have 5 nh-90s stored its cargo hold but one NH-90 and one seasprite can use the maintiance and deck facilitys on board.
One do trust more with this sort of information the NZ government site or some Australian site.

Jason_kiwi

If the cargo deck can only take 5 NH90's how many LAV's can it take? about 5 aswell. I don't think the info is right on the sight at all. I think it can take aroung 15-20 LAV's

nz enthusiast

Remember Jason this vessel isn't actually that big, try matching up the dimensions of the LAV wit hthe MRV, i don't think that will be able to varry anymore than 5, at the stage it probably can't carry any extra helicopters than the 2 used on the deck.

nz enthusiast

From what the NZ government said its 250 troops including there vehicle and basic supplies. How many vehicles they need, i have no diea.

A

Aussie Digger

nz enthusiast said:
From what the NZ government said its 250 troops including there vehicle and basic supplies. How many vehicles they need, i have no diea.
The MRV is being designed to lift a single NZ "company", not a full battalion. A standard rifle company is approx 120 strong. A standard battalion is around 600 strong.

Remember guys the MRV is NOT being designed as an amphibious assault vessel, (ie: capable of deploying troops in the face of significant resistance) but rather as a ship which can transport troops and deliver them to shore if they have to deploy to a Country without suitable docking facilities. From the looks of the MRV I'd say they could probably only operate 2 medium helos (such as NH-90). 10-12 LAV's would be required to provide to provide a full motorised capability for the rifle company. I'd say the MRV could carry this number of vehicles. It would be fairly useless if it couldn't...

EnigmaNZ

Can we keep PP and related talk in the naval section guys, under the thread dealing with PP please, we are getting info on PP spread all over the place.

Jason_kiwi

Here is some of the NZ projects from now-2010. They include the NH90 and 757.
rojects approved and in acquisition phase
Boeing 757 acquisition and modification
Medium range anti-armour weapon
Very Low Level Air Defence Cueing System
Light Operational Vehicle
Multi-role vessel
Offshore and inshore patrol vessels
Special operations equipment
P-3 mission systems upgrade
P-3 communications/navigation systems upgrades
New Defence headquarters building
Projects approved in principle by government
C-130 life extension
C-130 communications/navigation systems upgrades
Direct fire support weapon - area
NZDF helicopter capability
Ohakea consolidation
Army engineering equipment
Projects necessary to avoid the failure of policy
Joint command and control system
Improvised explosive device disposal
Projects necessary to provide a well-equipped land force
Land intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance equipment
Combat service support vehicles
Army tactical trunk communications
Army in-service weapon replacement
General service vehicle fleet replacement
Projects necessary to avoid significant risks to policy
ANZAC self-defence upgrade
NZDF torpedo replacement
C-130/P-3 self-protection
Anti-ship missiles
Joint communications modernisation
Projects that have benefit but are less critical to achieving policy objectives
High readiness infantry company
Short to medium range aerial surveillance
Remote mine detection
Army manoeuvre range
Indirect fire support weapon
Infrastructure projects
<LI>

<SPAN lang=EN-NZ style="mso-bidi-font-family: Times New Roman"><FONT face=Verdana><FONT size=1>Acquisition of new armoured vehicles, tactical communications, and light operational vehicles to replace the Landrovers will address the major immediate equipment deficiencies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.