kirov class battle cruiser

SkolZkiy

it is on modernization and is planned to be done in 2012. What kind of modernization -(S-400F? Granit-2(M) or Oniks or whatever)- only roumors. Who really cpuld know something keep silence and I understand them =)

indeed

What about Nakhimov?
What about the Kapusta? Was it cut up into scrap metal, I wish I knew someone in Vladivostok to ask.... I wonder if it can be converted to anything useful. Or if it is too late, this is a sad ship, had so much potential, but never did what it was meant to do, other than recording cell phone conversations in japan. LOL

Soviet command ship SSV-33 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone know whats the deal on this baby?

Plas

SkolZkiy

Russian wiki says that a tender on dismantling the ship was held in 2008. Judging from the type of ship, it needs a huge and expensive modernization program to function effectively in a modern navy. I don't think the current VMF can afford a ship of that class.

Корабль ССВ-33 «Урал» — ВикипедиÑ
You mean Kirov? yes it was - but a month ago there was message that Zvezdochka (if i'm not wrong) has been given an order to stop scrapping this cruiser.
If modernizing Lazarev and Kirov (project 1144, Peter the great and Nakhimov are 1144.1) it is also very very expensive and the fact that right now these two ships are without most weapons is plus for them - no need to take off these systems

stoker

The Kirov class are relics of the cold war. It's main purpose was to destroy aircraft carriers without the luxury of ground based air support. These are very large and sophisticated and therefore very expensive to maintain, especially as Soviet systems were numerous and redundant. The redeundancy was due to low confidence of their own weapons systems. It would be interesting to see what upgrades were made and if systems were reduced.

The propulsion plant on the Kirov class whilst well known as nuclear, also had fuel oil boilers which could propel the ship with the nuclear plant shut down.

Modern gas turbine and diesel propulsion plants are quite a bit easier to run and less expensive to maintian than steam (nuclear or fuel oil).

Fleet sizes and operatons tempo are reduced significantly worldwide so there isn't the same fuel usage for surface warships now-a-days as back in the 60's and 70's.

While the offensive capability of the Kirov class in today's world is still quite potent and quite impressive, present day budgets for operations and especially maintenence may be prohibitive for a Kirov class, even for a cash rich country like Russia.

Better to go with greater numbers of smaller less costly CG/DDG with modern weapons, C3I, and cost efficient propulsion.
Yes, you are correct in your above comments.

The only thing I would add is that the old adage the 'steel is cheap and air is free' is still quite relevent today.
Bigger hulls are more sea worthy and have plenty of room for propulsion/ ships electrical supply systems and more importantly room for the increasing size and complexity of electronic warfare/ communication/radar sytems.
Bigger hulls also give you more redundacy in regard to battle damage, and surprisingly bigger hulls have a better ratio of shp to speed than a smaller hull.

But, Russia needs ships that meet her specific future needs, the Cold war scenario is gone, Russia is basically a Continental 'Land' power, and needs a Fleet that can defend the sea lanes around Russia mainly in the ASW and ASuW areas, backed up by the Russian airforce.

Russia SSN's and SSBN's will cover her foreign policy requirements, I personnaly believe that Russia would be wasting good money pursuing a fleet of aircraft carriers.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can see room for operating 2-3 carriers in the Pacific. But only in the circumstances that the deffense budget is in the hundreds of billions. So far it's slightly under 100 billion.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you're implying that Indonesia is purchasing the Kirovs, you're delusional.

This is your first post so an introduction, and a substantiation, would be helpful.

John Sansom

I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you're implying that Indonesia is purchasing the Kirovs, you're delusional.

This is your first post so an introduction, and a substantiation, would be helpful.
Thanks for the comment, Feanor. No offence, but lone bird haiku won't cut it in this instance. I am far from being an expert on these heavy duty vessels, but I really can't see Putin being ready to sell one or more to Indonesia without (a) having immediate and far, far more efficient replacements at hand and (b) without receiving something like 50-p:p:ercent of the entire Indonessian GDP in the transaction.

Yes..okay. That is a trifle excessive....but Russsia still has some imperialistic blood flowing in her veins and these ships help to keep it "pumped" just by showing the flag. How badly does Putin (and, yes, Medvedyev) need the moneey.

The called-for substantiation would really be helpful.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually they don't need the money at all. In fact at the rate it's currently going at, 3 Kirov's will be operational in the VMF, and the last one will be scrapped.

t68

What would the Indonesians do with one large of platform such as a Kirov Class when it does not have the mean’s to properly utilize it around the Indonesian Islands?

Indonesia does not have the institutional knowledge for nuclear powered platform although they do have experimental reactors and are studying the possibility of using a nuclear power plant for domestic power generation.

Although a Kirov class is a formidable asset to have it also come with a large cost in weapons and maintence cost which i think would be prohibitive for the Indonesia Navy.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd like some sources. And while insider info (which you're implying you have) is appreciated, your credentials here have not been confirmed in any way. I'd be very, very surprised if a Kirov-class makes it's way over to Indonesia.

amateur

I'd like some sources. And while insider info (which you're implying you have) is appreciated, your credentials here have not been confirmed in any way. I'd be very, very surprised if a Kirov-class makes it's way over to Indonesia.
Later.
Hints: this country has expert in acquiring used warships, fighter jets, armored vehicles. You named it. Even thru a secret operations :)
Check: Alpha operations in 80s. And another Alpha in 2010 :)
------

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm a bit confused. Are you suggesting that a Kirov will be handed over to Indonesia in exchange for rent or outright purchase of an island used for a spaceport? Which Kirov are you talking about? The Pyotr Velikiy is active in the Northern Fleet and will remain that way. Admiral Lazarev is underoing repair and modernization, and will reactivate with the Pacific Fleet. Nakhimov is allegedly in refit at Sevmash right now, and rumor has it, will rejoin the Northern Fleet in 2012. The Admiral Ushakov is slated for scrapping, and supposedly could be sold should someone be willing to pay for bringing it up to workable condition again.

But in all honesty the price tag of repairing the Ushakov will be huge. There are certainly better ways to spend money on Russian naval assets, for Indonesia. Not to mention that operating the ship is kind pointless to begin with. It was designed to handle threats that Indonesia will never face. (and if it does, it will be overwhelmed to the point of it's sole kirov being a large target) Not to mention Indonesia had to take on loans to fund their latest Flanker purchases. And has yet to even put together a real squadron of those.

Additionally, you do realize that there is a currently a new space port under construction in the Russian Far East? And Russian participation in the French space program. And Russia still operates Baikonur (and plans to continue doing so for a long time to come). Not to mention that the Sea-Start and Air-Start space programs for alternative launching means from the back of airplanes, and sea-platforms, are currently in the works. In other words there is very little room for an ambitious project involving an Indonesian island as a space port.

I'm a bit confused. Are you suggesting that a Kirov will be handed over to Indonesia in exchange for rent or outright purchase of an island used for a spaceport? Which Kirov are you talking about?

But in all honesty the price tag of repairing the Ushakov will be huge. There are certainly better ways to spend money on Russian naval assets, for Indonesia. Not to mention that operating the ship is kind pointless to begin with. It was designed to handle threats that Indonesia will never face. (and if it does, it will be overwhelmed to the point of it's sole kirov being a large target)

Additionally, you do realize that there is a currently a new space port under construction in the Russian Far East? And Russian participation in the French space program. And Russia still operates Baikonur (and plans to continue doing so for a long time to come).
Floating nuclear power plant?